RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

4RX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-16, 09:41 PM
TonyGulati
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto power folding mirrors.

Just turn on auto.

Turn on Auto.
Old 08-14-16, 02:38 AM
mcfancy
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You can also program the amount of angle the mirrors tilt in reverse to suit each driver just like the seat settings.
Old 08-15-16, 05:42 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Zift01
what... i have the 450h f sport loaded but i don't have wireless charger...
Old 08-15-16, 06:55 PM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by Brabusx2
what... i have the 450h f sport loaded but i don't have wireless charger...
I believe it's only available in Canada, within North America.
Old 08-22-16, 06:27 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

Bad things I noticed with the craftsmanship:

On hot days:

The F sport interior side door paneling when pushed on the driver and passenger squeaks

On the passenger side of the f sport interior, where the silver/grey plastic piece is attached to the dash, when pushed up and down, you can see the glue and the looseness of it, not enough for it to fall off, but if enough pressure COULD rip off

When locking the doors, the silver bar doesn't go down all the way on some of them. You can test this by pushing it down as far as you can with your finger and see that the others are not the same height..

Little things, but things that are liveable, no car is perfect haha.
Old 08-23-16, 03:21 PM
denrex01
Driver School Candidate

Default RX senses when there is no passengers

Im new to Lexus and these forums, so apologies in advance is this is already known.

My RX350 F sport senses when I don't have anyone in the rear seats (doors never opened before starting the ignition) and turns off the vents in the rear. Additionally, when there is no front passenger, the auto vented/heated seats don't turn on.
Old 08-24-16, 02:32 PM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts

it broke ((

I'm sure they'll replace no hassle no problems but still..

No idea how. NOthing landed on it. Just opening and closing of the trunk

Old 08-25-16, 10:28 PM
kevinmlexu
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Picked up my RX 2016 350 / Lux / Safey+ Triple Beam / 12 Mark Levinson / Panorama Moonroof couple of weeks ago. My 3rd one since 2010. This is the first with added sound/luxury. Clearly, enjoy the Lexus RX 350 overall.

I have an iPod classic, room to store all my music/books, so the small area with the cover is great for music needs. My iPhone 6 plus would never fit.
Why hasn't Lexus beefed up the audio control for attached devices? scrolling is interminably slow. nice they added the ability to select letters first in the 2013, but shouldn't need it. Before my first Lexus in 2010, I had a mustang for 11 years. At one point, replaced the factory sound with a Pioneer which had iPod control (no iPods in 1999 when I bought the 'stang!). The pioneer had the techno to read the iPod much faster and scroll very fast. Would have hoped that a luxury vehicle could have better caching power from the iPod.

Have always loved the mouse control. Any time I rent a car with a touch screen now, it feels like I'm leaning too far out of the way of driving. Navigating around the screen, esp now with 12.3 screen, is very comfortable. That little haptic bump you feel when moving to an actual button adds to the ease.

Stop making these things with the DVD/CD player!! I may be of a certain age now, but I'm used to technology, all my stuff is digital now. no more tapes, no more discs. :-)

For reasons no one one knows, can be playing an audiobook fine from the iPod; when i restart the car and the audiobook starts playing again, it does so at incredibly fast speed. No issue with music. the iPod doesn't show it's playing at a fast speed. The only way to correct this is to switch to another audio source, turn off the car, turn it back on again and then switch back to the iPod. Weird.

Miss that open storage area below the forward center console with the power port.

With that deep center storage area, an upper area for holding stuff would always have been great. I bought the center console others have mentioned on the 350 forum and it dropped in and is very handy.

Goodbye left side cupholder and the cover that closed over the center cup holders. Don't always need to drive with a cup sitting in the car. Do people really need to sip something every 15 seconds?? always felt the car looked more elegant when not having to look at the cup holders.

The biggest disappointment I have is the interior color. On previous models, the interior color you chose was the same through most of the car. Now, major part of the interior is black, no matter what interior color you choose. I've had parchment leather on the 2 previous versions and the light color made the interior feel bigger. Same color again, but now I'm considering changing out the floor mats / cargo mat with 3rd party, custom sized, mats in a lighter color.

The radar sensing cruise control is pretty amazing. took a drive on a highway for about 100 miles and barely had to touch the brake or accelerator.
The following users liked this post:
Turbyturbo (09-07-20)
Old 08-26-16, 10:21 AM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

RX350 owner here as of one week ago. Canadian Executive model, so it has pretty much all the bells and whistles. Having owned nothing but manual-tranny sporty sedans the past 20 years, this is as far removed from that as I can go, short of a full sized humvee. Last car was an E90 335i, and this is my first Lexus, so most of my comparisons and observations will be against the old car(s).

- Love that I can finally lock/unlock all doors by touching the rear door handles (and the trunk as well if you count that). With the bimmer's Comfort Access, only the front passenger door will do that. Pretty much never have to reach for my keys ever; and saves walking around to the passenger door side to unlock all the doors. Small detail, but a nice touch. Guess I'm just a lazy bum.

- Pano-view monitors is a godsend on a massive CUV (by my standards) like this. Always thought it was a useless gimmick, but navigating some of the smaller parking lots (if you've ever been to the Asian malls in Burnaby and Richmond, you'll understand) is a much less hairy affair.

- I miss my iDrive. The clunky mouse UI plus menu items that are all over the map depending on what screen you're in pretty much guarantees I have to be either stopped or take my eyes off the road if I ever want to do anything. And guess what, if you have your front passenger help with some of the settings when you're driving, they can't - the items are locked out when the car is moving. Another thing that BMW did really well is that you could program the preset buttons (the usual 1-8 buttons most people use for radio stations) as a shortcut to any of the display settings on the Nav screen. Would have been great if Lexus implemented that as well.

- Whoever decided to take out the physical A/C button needs to be tarred and feathered. Having to navigate the mouse and go through multiple screens to turn it off is just plain idiotic. Staying with the climate control; I like that I can finally have fresh air vented in without the fans running. On the bimmers, if the fan is off, the vents are shut tight.

- Agree on a cover for the cup holders. Had it on my old Acura TSX, and it gives it a much cleaner look; especially if covered in the same beautiful wood. Still, anything is better than the flimsy excuse of a pop-out cup holder on the BMW...

- Panorama roof. Beautiful. Too bad it doesn't open a bit further back. Would've been nice to have a bigger opening to let more fresh air in. Same with when it's in the tilt mode. Seems to be barely open compared to my old cars. Just a small nitpick.

- Getting the hang of the touch-free trunk door sensor now. I can see where it can be useful when the rear is grimy from road dirt (especially in the winters) and you don't want to get your hands dirty by touching the button. According to the manual, you have to keep your fingers closed up when hovering over the logo, and I've never had a problem getting it to open since.

- Gas mileage will always be terrible compared to the manual sedans. Was averaging 10.6L/100km on my 335i (around 22.2 mpg) in mostly city driving with lots of hills around. So far on my second tank, the computer is reporting around 12.4 L/100km (18.9 mpg) on the same general commute.

Loving the car so far. I know I'll miss my manual tranny in short order, but it is what it is. At least I haven't stomped on the brake yet thinking I have to clutch in...

Last edited by kolokmee; 08-26-16 at 10:48 AM. Reason: adding content
Old 08-26-16, 01:45 PM
mcfancy
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

when your low on gas and the light alert comes on, the nav system automatically pulls up nearby gas stations...nice
Old 08-30-16, 01:59 PM
NealKBrown
Driver School Candidate

I've searched the forum and the manual, and I cannot figure out how to close the Nav split screen, so I can for example have the map full screen?

[Edit] Found it by chance: there's a rectangular map icon in the top right of the left side split map that makes it full size

Last edited by NealKBrown; 08-30-16 at 04:17 PM.
Old 08-31-16, 07:12 AM
JosersRX
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfancy
You can also program the amount of angle the mirrors tilt in reverse to suit each driver just like the seat settings.
How do you do this? My mirrors tilt when I hit reverse to the point that I can no longer see where I'm going.... thanks!
Old 08-31-16, 10:23 AM
kolokmee
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by JosersRX
How do you do this? My mirrors tilt when I hit reverse to the point that I can no longer see where I'm going.... thanks!
When in R, adjust the mirrors like you normally would. It will remember that setting the next time you go into reverse.

Another hint, if you don't want the mirrors to tilt or change when reversing, make sure neither of the mirrors are selected on the console (neither L nor R light lit).

The following 3 users liked this post by kolokmee:
jyontherun (02-25-17), Oldfart (11-29-17), RXBurbmom (02-13-17)
Old 08-31-16, 12:13 PM
JosersRX
Pole Position

Originally Posted by kolokmee
When in R, adjust the mirrors like you normally would. It will remember that setting the next time you go into reverse.

Another hint, if you don't want the mirrors to tilt or change when reversing, make sure neither of the mirrors are selected on the console (neither L nor R light lit).
Thank you!
Old 08-31-16, 12:27 PM
JosersRX
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aznkorboi
Bad things I noticed with the craftsmanship:

On hot days:

The F sport interior side door paneling when pushed on the driver and passenger squeaks

On the passenger side of the f sport interior, where the silver/grey plastic piece is attached to the dash, when pushed up and down, you can see the glue and the looseness of it, not enough for it to fall off, but if enough pressure COULD rip off

When locking the doors, the silver bar doesn't go down all the way on some of them. You can test this by pushing it down as far as you can with your finger and see that the others are not the same height..

Little things, but things that are liveable, no car is perfect haha.

No car is perfect true. But at this price point it better be darn close to it. Especially when their slogan alludes and promises "pursuit of perfection". So wow, looks like you got one with poor craftsmanship. Maybe it was a Friday and they wanted to go home early

I'm kinda pissed that they decided to build the RXs in North America... it's like going to out eat Sushi at a fine expensive restaurant only to find out that is not being prepared by a Japanese...it's just not the same. Ok, rant over! Basically, I am still not sold that the QC in Canada is at the same level as in Japan...

They don't tell you this but you can nick pick as much as you want within the first 5K miles and everything is covered ... so I'd take it back and have them address all these issues.
The following users liked this post:
mssca (12-22-17)

Quick Reply: 4RX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)