RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

4RX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-16, 01:49 PM
Zift01
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zift01
Second that, can not get used to reverse parking in garage after driving 2 Toyoty Land Cruisers and was backing to the same wals and wife'scar...
This was about turning radius, forgot quoting, sorry
Old 07-23-16, 05:17 PM
dknyov
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyL
Great innovation!
woa I have to test this out.
Old 07-23-16, 06:21 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I just noticed that the bottom of the doors go far enough down to become the rocker moldings. That leaves the area where the back of my pants legs rub as I get out covered. It stays clean so no more marks on the back of my calves. A small thing, but nice to have.
Steve
Old 07-24-16, 06:39 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Washington here. 100% of the 4RX 450h I looked at were built in Canada. 3RX 450h was built exclusively in Japan.
The last few years off 3RX 450h were build in Canada too.
Old 08-05-16, 09:20 PM
lkleyman
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mystery HDMI and USB Ports

I took delivery of my FSPORT 350 the other day and noticed that there were 2 mystery ports below the air vents: HDMI and USB. Optimistically thinking they could be used to input into my 12" Nav, to my surprise I found that they do absolutely nothing. Neither of them. USB doesn't even charge the phone. I don't have the rear entertainment package, so why install the ports? Removed the panel and they do appear to be plugged in and running wire towards the dash.

Any ideas?

Old 08-06-16, 07:34 AM
Curryolla
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lkleyman
I took delivery of my FSPORT 350 the other day and noticed that there were 2 mystery ports below the air vents: HDMI and USB. Optimistically thinking they could be used to input into my 12" Nav, to my surprise I found that they do absolutely nothing. Neither of them. USB doesn't even charge the phone. I don't have the rear entertainment package, so why install the ports? Removed the panel and they do appear to be plugged in and running wire towards the dash.

Any ideas?

I did a Google Image search for "2016 lexus rx rear seat hdmi usb". The charge socket in the middle is standard on every RX. The USB and HDMI is NOT a genuine Lexus feature. I did find this picture:
Looking at the USB and HDMI port, I'd say someone (dealership, previous owner) installed a Rosen Rear Seat Entertainment System into your car without you knowing. It appears the system is attached to the back of the headrest. Maybe they added the port, but forgot to add the headrest? I'd take the car back to the dealership and have them install a new back plate or get the headrests.
Old 08-06-16, 10:43 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Why do you have non functioning aftermarket parts installed in your new vehicle is the bigger question? I`d be peeved if the dealer decided to install an aftermarket headrest display without my permission or disclosure of the fact before purchase. However If thats something you want or thought about getting down the line, I`d push for the rest of the system installed for nothing, since they already installed most of the system. The only thing I see being a problem, is the probably the lack of fit on the headrests with the factory headrests.
Old 08-06-16, 10:52 AM
lkleyman
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Curryolla
I did a Google Image search for "2016 lexus rx rear seat hdmi usb". The charge socket in the middle is standard on every RX. The USB and HDMI is NOT a genuine Lexus feature. I did find this ppictur.
Looking at the USB and HDMI port, I'd say someone (dealership, previous owner) installed a Rosen Rear Seat Entertainment System into your car without you knowing. It appears the system is attached to the back of the headrest. Maybe they added the port, but forgot to add the headrest? I'd take the car back to the dealership and have them install a new back plate or get the headrests.
Thanks for the find. It looks exactly like that Rosen kit. My RX just arrived at the dealership 2 days before I picked it up. 64 miles on it. And it's a reputable dealer, so it's really strange. I'm going to ask at service #1, but will be dropping a Beatsonic Nav/DVD bypass in soon anyway so will take a look at what's going on behind the dash and where this wire is running.

Might end up just hooking up the USB to 12v and use as a charge port in the back. As for HDMI... I already use a Samsung 10.1" commercial grade display that has a player built in and an hdmi in so could hook it there, though no idea what for with my 2yr old in the back.
Old 08-06-16, 11:23 AM
Curryolla
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lkleyman
Thanks for the find. It looks exactly like that Rosen kit. My RX just arrived at the dealership 2 days before I picked it up. 64 miles on it. And it's a reputable dealer, so it's really strange. I'm going to ask at service #1, but will be dropping a Beatsonic Nav/DVD bypass in soon anyway so will take a look at what's going on behind the dash and where this wire is running.

Might end up just hooking up the USB to 12v and use as a charge port in the back. As for HDMI... I already use a Samsung 10.1" commercial grade display that has a player built in and an hdmi in so could hook it there, though no idea what for with my 2yr old in the back.
Keep us posted. I'd be furious if a dealer installed (half-way) some aftermarket system without telling me first. But, sounds like you know a thing or two about fiddling with this kind of thing.
Old 08-07-16, 08:18 PM
TonyGulati
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Talys1767
Don't know why so much obsession over the storage slot designed for the phone. Even for a phone that fits, it's a errible spot, because it's... closed. There is a huge cubby hole in front of the cupholder, where you can put a phone of practically any size. And it has a wireless charger.

Just use the little slot in the storage console for something else, like loyalty cards, roadside assistance card, etc.

Wireless charger? where?
Old 08-07-16, 11:42 PM
Zift01
Driver School Candidate

Default Phone charging

Originally Posted by TonyGulati
Wireless charger? where?
Below console, infrant if "gear stick" on 450h.
Worksop with s6 E and s7 E, just in sharp turn phone can slide out of charging spot (not drop out, just stop charging). But they sre glasd back, dupose it can be expected.
Old 08-08-16, 04:51 AM
Zift01
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Zift01
Below console, infrant if "gear stick" on 450h.
Worksop with s6 E and s7 E, just in sharp turn phone can slide out of charging spot (not drop out, just stop charging). But they sre glasd back, dupose it can be expected.
Old 08-09-16, 06:49 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default feature i found the 4RX really useless...

so i finally bit the bullet and got a 2016 RX450h F sport, i had lot of hope for the vehicles, i love every moment driving it. that's all it really matter, i got the vehicles with almost all the options available (except rear seat entertainment).

anyway, here are the list of thing i found totally useless, just my .02 cents in case some of you thinking of getting one, even some of the feature came with the car **** me off more than it should.

1. the "iPhone 5" holder, it doesn't fit any other phone except phone smaller than iPhone 5.. sure the car were release late 2015 but now it totally defeat the purpose
2. S-Flow, really don't know what's the point of that option is, when active it state it only blow driver side, my god that thing is weak, i always have to disable it to cool the car cabin off, pretty much i have to disable it everytime i start the car.
3. 12 inch navi, its really nice to look at, but the UI and the graphic render lag so bad... as a #pcmasterrace the fps **** me off so much, sure it has 3D and all but BMW has them since 2009. and test driven the BMW i3 for 3 days their Navi are almost as big but much much smoother.
4. Lexus remote touch, (whatever they were call), were so much more user-friendly back in my 2010 RX450h, what happened to it? its so frustrating to use, even adjusting the force feedback doesn't help.
5. the navi screen can only view english text, can't view japanese/chinese, etc from music/text message etc, mercedes were able to do those long ago.
6. lane keep assist, its more like a toy than anything practical, it steer your car a bit, the constant beeping keep lexus away from Lawsuit, but also useless, stay away from this option if you were interested in this option, it ask you to keep hands on the steering wheels and it will fight against your hands while you do, it make you a lot more tiring when driving

that's all i could think of right now, there are also a lot i love about the car, but i honestly wouldn't say its a huge upgrade from my 2007 Lexus GS450h, my GS can sprint from 0-60 in 5.2 while getting 26mpg. the new RX, maybe its still in the break in period, average 23mpg, forgot about the 0-60 time, didn't really push it yet, still its good enough for my daily driving needs.

i really hope this is not my last Lexus i am going to get, their resell value weren't as great as back then, but time will tell
Old 08-12-16, 08:59 PM
TonyGulati
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Which models have the power folding rear view mirror and which model has the panaromic bird eye view??
Old 08-13-16, 08:02 PM
mcfancy
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

On the fsports there is a slice of ambient light that glows off the chrome "f" stying on the chrome door accent at night. The outer door handles also have similar lighting when unlocking using fob

Quick Reply: 4RX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)