RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

4RX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-15, 04:41 AM
macdee
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My RX have finally arrived, so a couple of things I don't think I saw mentioned here.

The good:
- the HUD display had a fantastic upgrade! On my 3RX, I could always see the white "backlighting" rectangle when turning HUD brightness high enough. No such thing at all on 4RX HUD, even on highest brightness at night. They probably switched tech. (LCD to OLED or something?…). Great stuff!
(on the other hand, HUD is so wide now that there's an issue when it starts clipping on the sides if you're not sitting almost perfectly in the center driver's position. Not a huge issue at all, but kinda the "omph… well, guess there's a price for everything" moment)

The bad:
- console cup holders… I was absolutely sure both of them has this feature when you push them down and they stay this way, so that bottles wouldn't stick out holders too much. Only half true. Only the front holder can actually be pushed down. The other one is just a standard fixed one. See the pic and you'll notice the difference in build. Pretty cheap on Lexus side I'd say… and really easy to miss

Old 12-16-15, 04:50 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by macdee
My RX have finally arrived, so a couple of things I don't think I saw mentioned here.

The good:
- the HUD display had a fantastic upgrade! On my 3RX, I could always see the white "backlighting" rectangle when turning HUD brightness high enough. No such thing at all on 4RX HUD, even on highest brightness at night. They probably switched tech. (LCD to OLED or something?…). Great stuff!
(on the other hand, HUD is so wide now that there's an issue when it starts clipping on the sides if you're not sitting almost perfectly in the center driver's position. Not a huge issue at all, but kinda the "omph… well, guess there's a price for everything" moment)

The bad:
- console cup holders… I was absolutely sure both of them has this feature when you push them down and they stay this way, so that bottles wouldn't stick out holders too much. Only half true. Only the front holder can actually be pushed down. The other one is just a standard fixed one. See the pic and you'll notice the difference in build. Pretty cheap on Lexus side I'd say… and really easy to miss

What does the button marked "PUSH" do in your images?
Old 12-16-15, 05:40 AM
macdee
Driver

Originally Posted by RXOwner
What does the button marked "PUSH" do in your images?
You can put a bottle in the front cup holder, and push it down. The cup holder's bottom sliders down making for a deeper cup holder, at the same time making the bottle not stick out too much from it.

That's supposedly to prevent bottles in the cup holder to minimize obstruction of access to navigation panel controls.

Forgot to answer the question "Push" button brings the cup holder back to original non-descendent position.
Old 12-16-15, 06:00 AM
macdee
Driver

Originally Posted by rayaans
Something which intrigues me is how different car interiors look at night.

Anyone care to share a night time pic with the ambient lighting of the interior?
Some pics below. I was missing a tripod so had to crank up ISO pretty high, hence all the noise/focus, but hopefully this gives an idea.

Overall, nothing to write home about, but I find it much better than 3RX's. It's very subtle, but give just enough guidance to be safely navigate controls at night. Lights inside the door panels are of questionable utility… but hey…*better than not having them at all

Pics kinda lighten things up a bit, but otherwise it would be hard to understand - illumination looks better when looked at with normal human eyes

Old 12-16-15, 09:26 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

You can put a bottle in the front cup holder, and push it down. The cup holder's bottom sliders down making for a deeper cup holder, at the same time making the bottle not stick out too much from it.

That's supposedly to prevent bottles in the cup holder to minimize obstruction of access to navigation panel controls.

Forgot to answer the question "Push" button brings the cup holder back to original non-descendent position.
Thanks Sir!
Old 12-17-15, 02:08 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for posting these night pictures. Yup they sure look better than the 3rd gen RX.

Old 12-18-15, 01:01 PM
dfc350
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dfc350
You know, I just reread your post, and it may have been that I pressed the accelerator out of habit when the car ahead took off. Maybe the whole experience was so novel to me that I didn't remember I had done it. Let me know how your experiment turns out.
Just got back from a drive. Here's what happened. With DRCC on, I approached a line of cars at a stop light. My car slowed and stopped about a car length behind the last one with WAITING displayed in the HUD. As the car in front crept forward, so did mine without my touching the accelerator. After about 5 seconds, WAITING went off and I had to press the accelerator to move forward. So evidently there's a limited period of time where it stays in "following" mode, then you have to take over.
Old 12-18-15, 04:07 PM
oliver9
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dfc350
Just got back from a drive. Here's what happened. With DRCC on, I approached a line of cars at a stop light. My car slowed and stopped about a car length behind the last one with WAITING displayed in the HUD. As the car in front crept forward, so did mine without my touching the accelerator. After about 5 seconds, WAITING went off and I had to press the accelerator to move forward. So evidently there's a limited period of time where it stays in "following" mode, then you have to take over.
Good info -- I saw that Waiting displayed as well, but as soon as the car in front of me move, I couldn't resist of pressing the gas pedal. I will try it your way tonight.
Old 12-20-15, 11:12 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Some pics below. I was missing a tripod so had to crank up ISO pretty high, hence all the noise/focus, but hopefully this gives an idea.

Overall, nothing to write home about, but I find it much better than 3RX's. It's very subtle, but give just enough guidance to be safely navigate controls at night. Lights inside the door panels are of questionable utility… but hey…*better than not having them at all

Pics kinda lighten things up a bit, but otherwise it would be hard to understand - illumination looks better when looked at with normal human eyes

Many thanks on those!

It looks great IMO. I'm not a fan of new cars coming with ambient lighting absolutely everywhere especially in ghastly colours like blue
Old 12-21-15, 07:35 AM
bdspilot
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

The adaptive cruise has been acting a little weird. While driving at highway speeds 60-75 if I adjust the cruise to a slower speed with the control stock the car will down shift 2-3 gears and the RMP will go to 4k and hold it for about 30sec before upshifting. It does this when slowing just 2 MPH. If I turn Adaptive cruise off it doesn't do this. Has any one else noticed this. I thought that it was doing this to slow the car but the car is already slowed before the down shift occurs then it hold the high RMP for 30 sec while steady at the new speed.
Old 12-21-15, 12:51 PM
Sxelexy
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bdspilot
The volume is very low when using bluetooth to play songs from my iPhone. I have to play at max volume and it is still not loud enough at highway speeds. If I use cable volume is normal.
I am experiencing the exact same issue, has anyone found a fix or is that just how it is now? I just traded in my 2014 RX for this new one and the the phone and stereo never had that issue before on the 2014.
Old 12-23-15, 02:36 PM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Likely most of you new RX owners know but I discovered that the ceiling lighting is operated by touch and there are no buttons. Nice touch.
Old 12-24-15, 10:34 AM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bdspilot
The adaptive cruise has been acting a little weird. While driving at highway speeds 60-75 if I adjust the cruise to a slower speed with the control stock the car will down shift 2-3 gears and the RMP will go to 4k and hold it for about 30sec before upshifting. It does this when slowing just 2 MPH. If I turn Adaptive cruise off it doesn't do this. Has any one else noticed this. I thought that it was doing this to slow the car but the car is already slowed before the down shift occurs then it hold the high RMP for 30 sec while steady at the new speed.
This is probably because Lexus hasn't figured out 8-speed engines yet. A real bummer. When the RC came out, this was a major complaint and the main reason I don't own one. Lexus tends to care about certain driving conditions and not daily drivers. I've been long Lexus, but they need to get this figured out and reprogrammed. Personally, I don't care for the 8-speeds in any car. They either change to quick or can't find the right gear
Old 12-24-15, 12:23 PM
Bavancena
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since this is my first luxury car, I discovered the seat belts aren't exactly always pulling you. Instead its just sitting on top of you.

I also noticed that there are no holes for the crossbars in the roof rails if you have panoramic sunroof (for the crossbars from lexus)
Old 01-01-16, 06:39 PM
EXP_Cougar
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

The opening height of liftgate can be user defined. In my case I let it open until the desired height and pressed the auto close button once and it stops. Then I press and hold the same button down for a few seconds and it will beep a few times. Now when I open/close it will always stop at the height I defined.

This is really useful if you're worried about it hitting your garage door.

Quick Reply: 4RX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)