RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

4RX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-16, 10:00 AM
BPRescue
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinmlexu

Stop making these things with the DVD/CD player!! I may be of a certain age now, but I'm used to technology, all my stuff is digital now. no more tapes, no more discs. :-)
Especially noting you paid a the higher end Mark Levenson sound system, you should absolutely want to keep the CD player. Recognizing many people have their music on their phones, you are talking about compressed music that is not of the same quality you receive from an original CD. There are sometimes I just want to have perfection...
Old 09-02-16, 11:00 AM
Gibster
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just noticed the passenger temperature display turns off if there is no passenger. I knew the vents turned off but didn't realize the digital passenger temperature display goes dark.
Old 09-05-16, 08:26 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 117 Likes on 90 Posts

when the rear cross traffic alert detects a car. the beep will come from the side the car is coming from!! cool!
Old 09-05-16, 12:57 PM
satnav
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

This 2016 is prob the best Lexus I have owned yet and really give GLE and X5 a run for its money in terms in content. Prior Lexus seemed to miss many small connivance features found on even older european counterparts. when i came to 2010 RX which believe was a midspec premium package with nav (I got it as graduation present so no idea how it was option) coming from a 2005 A6 many tech features where missing that even my first car a 2001 C240 had many of the features the 2010 had or even when my parents had their 98 ML had. which i have now listed in the good as finally Lexus has these features or improved on them. I was really considering a GLE until the 2016 came out.

GOOD
- KEYLESS TRANSPONDER IN EVERYDOOR !!! FINALLLLLLYY
-Living in the city in tight parking spaces I hit the front camera button. I realized today if the front sensors go off the front camera turns on. dont need to hit that button
- when the driver pulls the handle to open the door all door unlock. Every Merc my parents have owned had this feature so convenient starting in 98. First toyota/lexus product that we have seen this.
- rain sensing wipers are now sensitive.
- headlights on with rain sensors
- got ride of most of the nasty looking plastic silver (though don't see why alumium is not used on the "metal like" peieces.
- parking sensors across the entire front bumper. not on one side or just the edges.
- the mirror power fold
- the interior is actually not cheap feeling. Lexus always had nice seats and arm rest, but of the dash and everywhere else looked cheap.
- the sunroof cover is now powered open and close
- the mirrors can remember the position in reverse
- dyamic gridlines when reversing took while!
- the trip computer is more advanced
- navigation is birds eye view
- the seat cushion now extends!! never use it but growing up my parents car had them so woot nice to have
-smog sensors is now included woot! missed that from the 2001 c240 and 05 audi

BAD
- On my 2010 the tonneau cover would attach to the rear seat making the entire boot space private. Looks like the 2010 has a gap and no fleather to attatch to the seat.
- On 2005 RX and if remember my 2010 RX theirs a headlamp washer button. I think its been dropped in this model and only washes when i cleanse the windshield.
- still only 1 bluetooth phone connected at a time. My old 2005 Audi A6 and parents Mercs from that era all supported more than 2 bluetooth connections at once. Lexus still behind here.. I have to decide between my work phone and personal phone.
- no cross bars on the pano roof
- the rear still slopes eating away at cargo space (thats more venting)
- enform is still lagging. cost as much as Teleaid or BMW Assist yearly but no they can't check flight information or book restraunts or call for a reservation. Lexus PLEASE FIX THIS. ITS NOT EVEN A HARDWARE CHANGE.
- wiper park position still not heated. need a heated windsreen
- resume the cruise control in traffic have to push gas or button. on merc it resumes if less than a minute
- NO SELF PARKING COME ON... you guys had first now ever BM, MERC, and Audi has it.
-keyfob looks cheap. take a book from merc here please. they always have the nicest looking keyfob next to porchse ( but thats different league $$)

overall very happy!

Last edited by satnav; 09-05-16 at 01:22 PM.
Old 09-08-16, 07:01 PM
LexRexBlue
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why are the front windshield and front side windows lighter on the 4th generation than the 3rd? The heat that comes in vs. gen 3 is ridiculous. The seats get burning hot and I've had to resort to putting a towel on the seat to protect myself! Because there's not much clearance above the headrest you can't even get the towel to stay over the headrest! AGH! Otherwise I love the car. Wonder what winter will bring.
Old 09-08-16, 09:29 PM
JosersRX
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LexRexBlue
Why are the front windshield and front side windows lighter on the 4th generation than the 3rd? The heat that comes in vs. gen 3 is ridiculous. The seats get burning hot and I've had to resort to putting a towel on the seat to protect myself! Because there's not much clearance above the headrest you can't even get the towel to stay over the headrest! AGH! Otherwise I love the car. Wonder what winter will bring.
interesting observation Lex... I agree the car's cabin feels much hotter than the 2nd and 3rd gen. I attributed mines to be the panoramic sunroof but your theory may also be legit. I ended up tinting all windows and roof with 35% ceramic film to deflect the sun and heat coming in. So far, I've felt a noticeable difference.
Old 09-14-16, 09:44 AM
JosersRX
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Fun discovery...at least for me (3D Navigation Maps)

I just discovered the 3D feature on the 12.3 Nav Map Screens... I'm geeking out driving around town now... Try it guys!
Attached Thumbnails 4RX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-gps1.jpg   4RX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-gps2.jpg   4RX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)-gps3.jpg  
Old 09-15-16, 05:31 PM
Samour
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JosersRX
I just discovered the 3D feature on the 12.3 Nav Map Screens... I'm geeking out driving around town now... Try it guys!
they did not have it in november when I bought my RX. I think they did an update OTA. I live in San Francisco and yes the maps look good in 3D. Only major cities though.
Old 09-16-16, 09:10 AM
Darith
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Gibster
I just noticed the passenger temperature display turns off if there is no passenger. I knew the vents turned off but didn't realize the digital passenger temperature display goes dark.
No wonder!
Old 09-17-16, 05:25 AM
Lepapeherm
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Where is it?

Originally Posted by pBOMB
Hey not sure if this had been mentioned but there's a setting where you can change the sensitivity of the joystick to make it tighter so it only moves 1 at a time. If u have trouble finding it let me know and I'll find it again. Somewhere in settings. G luck.
The joystick sensivity is really bothering me, I looked through all possible settings to change it but I couldn't find it. Must be well hidden, let me know if you find it again.....thanks.
Old 09-18-16, 10:42 AM
AZisHOT
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radio buttons

I'm sure this is covered in the manual somewhere, but I just figured out that you can change radio stations with the steering wheel buttons by 1 station. Normally it goes to the next PRESET, but if you want to go to the next station and it's not in your preset list, (like xm 8 to xm 9), just hold the up or down button for about 3 seconds until you hear a little beep, then let go.....
The following users liked this post:
17RX350F (03-13-17)
Old 09-21-16, 07:38 AM
TexasRxh
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Automatic Lights On When It Rains

When it rains I swear the [auto] headlights come on when the [auto] wipers start, even when it's relatively light outside (during the day). The sensor for the headlights is set 1 notch from center toward "more sensitive." I don't always think to check if headlights are on when it rains but every time I have looked they are on. Is this a hidden feature in the 4Rx or just coincidence based on my sensor settings? Has anyone else noticed this? Is it just coincidence?

(I found a post in the ES forums from 2014 with the same discussion but nowhere else.)
Old 09-21-16, 03:29 PM
ssmtsx
Driver School Candidate

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRxh
When it rains I swear the [auto] headlights come on when the [auto] wipers start, even when it's relatively light outside (during the day). The sensor for the headlights is set 1 notch from center toward "more sensitive." I don't always think to check if headlights are on when it rains but every time I have looked they are on. Is this a hidden feature in the 4Rx or just coincidence based on my sensor settings? Has anyone else noticed this? Is it just coincidence?

(I found a post in the ES forums from 2014 with the same discussion but nowhere else.)
its in the manual. The headlights will turn on with the wipers if the headlight switch is in the auto position.
Old 09-21-16, 05:57 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by AZisHOT
I'm sure this is covered in the manual somewhere, but I just figured out that you can change radio stations with the steering wheel buttons by 1 station. Normally it goes to the next PRESET, but if you want to go to the next station and it's not in your preset list, (like xm 8 to xm 9), just hold the up or down button for about 3 seconds until you hear a little beep, then let go.....
Awesome tip!
Old 09-29-16, 10:31 AM
Thivi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Talys1767
A few minor annoyances:

- The nav system doesn't lower the sound of the music when it speaks

- The nav system's full address never seems to work; for example, 1234 Main Street, Vancouver, British Columbia says street address isn't available, but British Columbia, Vancouver, Main Street, 1234 will work.

- an AC plug would have been so nice

- Side bolsters on the sport models can't be adjusted to be tighter/looser, a common feature in luxury sports models.

- I'm not really a fan of the Nav/vehicle menu system joystick; it often goes 2 steps when I want it to go one.

- Not all of the temperature controls are available from the center console. For example, you can't turn Dual on or off. The menu/big screen version if the temperature controls is clunky too. Tthere's a list button beside the defrost, but when you click it, it pops up a screen that just gives you the option to turn defrost off and on.

- Passenger-side memory buttons would have been really nice.

- The car manual should fit into the glove box

- The touchless trunk opener works like poo for me.

- It takes too much clicks to get to the list of songs in a subfolder on a usb stick.

- The Media up/down buttons on the steering wheel works such that DOWN arrow takes the track number down, for example to 3 to beginning of 3, then 2, than 1 But for the Satellite Radio, the DOWN arrow advances the channel, for example from 3 to 4 to 5. I far prefer the down arrow to advance the channel/track, but failing that, it should be consistent.

All pretty minor things. I love the 450H!!
Hello Talys:

I can't say much about most of the above list, but there is a fix for the touch-less power trunk door opener. The factory default for this sensor is set as Low setting (see attached, item 45). When you go back to the dealer, they can adjust the sensitivity to Medium or High that should solve your problem.

Cheers, T
Attached Files

Quick Reply: 4RX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)