RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

4RX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-15, 06:11 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
Is Lexus reintroducing pop up door locks? Not sure how I feel about that...
Although I do feel that lock like the ones in the current GS and LS lock and operate better. These lock by no means will prevent me from buying an RX. Some cars incl7ding Mercedes still use this style so it is just fine in a Luxury vehicle.
Old 11-27-15, 07:36 AM
Mdme
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
OP, glad to have inspired and see this thread in the 4RX forum

Not an owner but a nice surprise to see the 4RX today in person.

A few discoveries.

1. The window frame is metal with plastic corners like the late IS and NX. Prior gen had the entire frame covered in black plastic.

2. On the RX350, the fuel door is opened like the latest IS, and NX where you push on the door itself to pop it open (no button in the dash). On the 450h, it's via the traditional fuel button on the lower left side of the dash! (If you zoom in on the red interior pic of a 450h F Sport further below, you can see the fuel button)

3. I think we all knew this already, but now (personally I'm) 100% sure that both the 450h and the 350 are produced in Canada (Pic from the NGP 450h F Sport).

4. The Silver trim is not plastic like in the RC, IS and NX, but real aluminum with superbly detailed grooves.

5. The rocker panel has a rigid plastic finish, unlike the NX's rubber flap which is not very effective in winter/snowy conditions (see here). The RX's doors have a lip that bend underneath potentially blocking snow from coming up. Curious to hear back from owners after snow hits the ground.

And for good fun, here are some more pics at my dealer's launch event I attended tonight for their newly expanded dealer showroom!

At the end of the evening, I went for a quick test drive and was temptingly nice. I miss the V6 power. And the 12.3" screen in person is impressive. Pics don't do it justice.
Nice pics. An LFA even.

What do you mean by you missing the V6 power? The 4RX are still V6s with more HPs better trannys though heavier curb weight as well.
Old 11-27-15, 07:50 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mdme
Nice pics. An LFA even.

What do you mean by you missing the V6 power? The 4RX are still V6s with more HPs better trannys though heavier curb weight as well.
I think what he meant was that he owns a Lexus NX 4 cylinder Turbo and misses the V6 power of the RX when he test drove the new RX.
Old 11-27-15, 08:15 AM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
OP, glad to have inspired and see this thread in the 4RX forum

Not an owner but a nice surprise to see the 4RX today in person.

A few discoveries.

1. The window frame is metal with plastic corners like the late IS and NX. Prior gen had the entire frame covered in black plastic.

2. On the RX350, the fuel door is opened like the latest IS, and NX where you push on the door itself to pop it open (no button in the dash). On the 450h, it's via the traditional fuel button on the lower left side of the dash! (If you zoom in on the red interior pic of a 450h F Sport further below, you can see the fuel button)

3. I think we all knew this already, but now (personally I'm) 100% sure that both the 450h and the 350 are produced in Canada (Pic from the NGP 450h F Sport).

4. The Silver trim is not plastic like in the RC, IS and NX, but real aluminum with superbly detailed grooves.

5. The rocker panel has a rigid plastic finish, unlike the NX's rubber flap which is not very effective in winter/snowy conditions (see here). The RX's doors have a lip that bend underneath potentially blocking snow from coming up. Curious to hear back from owners after snow hits the ground.

And for good fun, here are some more pics at my dealer's launch event I attended tonight for their newly expanded dealer showroom!

At the end of the evening, I went for a quick test drive and was temptingly nice. I miss the V6 power. And the 12.3" screen in person is impressive. Pics don't do it justice.
Thanks CorradoMR2 for the great pictures and observations. The 12.3" screen is indeed very impressive. About the window frame moulding- it is a growing trend for Lexus to use less material as it minimize costs and weight. Even the new LX has the same construction - i.e.. metal frame covered with film and plastic insert stuck at corners. Not a fan of this growing trend but getting used to it. The only thing that bothers me is the exposed trimming at the other corner towards A-pilla where you literally see the ends of tape meet. For NX, it is okay for the price range. But for RX, it is a bit unrefined.

The silver trims made of real aluminum make sense as it should have a comparable materials as a GS since literally the new generation RX is 1/2 class up from the previous generation RX and the price reflects that.

Last edited by AndyL; 11-27-15 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-27-15, 08:21 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

AndyL, thanks for the info about the LX's window frames - didn't tknow.

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
I think what he meant was that he owns a Lexus NX 4 cylinder Turbo and misses the V6 power of the RX when he test drove the new RX.
Yep pretty much correct.

I'll add that I owned two 2RXs and the previous '13 RX F Sport and nothing beats these smooth V6s and their responsiveness. The '16 RX was even a little smoother and quieter overall than my last RX. The NX's 4cyl Turbo is nearly as smooth and quiet as the V6 but is not as responsive (turbo lag) and has a slight vibration at idle.
Old 11-27-15, 09:31 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Although I do feel that lock like the ones in the current GS and LS lock and operate better. These lock by no means will prevent me from buying an RX. Some cars incl7ding Mercedes still use this style so it is just fine in a Luxury vehicle.
Just never liked the way they looked. Reminds me of all the times I had to stretch in the back and pull the sucker up to let my friends into the car back in the day lol.

I love the 4RX though, in every way. Best midsize SUV on the market IMO. Lexus really hit it out of the park with this one.
The following users liked this post:
Geekteach (12-19-19)
Old 11-27-15, 12:13 PM
Mdme
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Gotcha.
Old 11-27-15, 03:07 PM
mikeivan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am cross shopping the 2016 RX against the 2016 LX, even though they are different beasts. I just discovered that the RX has more front and rear legroom than the LX. Can this be true?
Old 11-27-15, 03:14 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Originally Posted by mikeivan
I am cross shopping the 2016 RX against the 2016 LX, even though they are different beasts. I just discovered that the RX has more front and rear legroom than the LX. Can this be true?
Well you got to put the third row somewhere right? Third row takes up space otherwise distributed to front and middle row passengers. Thats why i prefer the RX over the LX. If i ever plan to tow a boat or go off road the LX is the place to be.
Old 11-27-15, 07:39 PM
kenforum
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hon3kong
Door handles have 2 LEDs, the one on top is a LED line that lights up. the bottom LED light just contain 1 LED blub. Very nice touch!
If possible, could you post some pics with these light on? Thanks!
Old 11-28-15, 12:37 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

I just sat in both the new RX and LX at the LA auto show. The RX interior is nice, but I love the interior quality and layout inside the LX. I also kinda like the exterior styling on the LX more too, but it's too much car for me and too expensive. All that off-reading equipment would be wasted too. It would be nice if Lexus finally made the LX less truck like and made it compete more with the Mercedes GLS (formerly known as the GL). I feel the RX is more ES/GS like, while the LX is more GS/LS like.

Last edited by dchar; 11-28-15 at 12:40 AM.
Old 11-28-15, 03:37 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

On Thursday I had need for someone to get in the back seat and they were near 6-1. I asked if I needed to me to move the passenger seat up and he said no. When I turned around I saw he had a couple of inches to spare from his knee to the back of the seat. He reclined the seat and was quite comfortable from the looks.

Plenty of room. Impressed.
Old 11-28-15, 05:31 AM
mikeivan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RXOwner
Plenty of room. Impressed.
Me too, thanks for the info. My off roading days are over and I almost never tow anything. I love my big old LX, but I also love the way my wife's RX drives around town. I just wish the ride was more comfy. I need to test drive an RX450h.
Old 11-28-15, 04:32 PM
sandy14
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question

I'm not understanding why they would go to these old/new door locks. The previous model's locks worked just fine
Old 12-01-15, 07:35 AM
hkbruin2
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sound from engine bay while AC is on

We've been driving around the new RX over the weekend since purchasing last Wesnesday and we noticed a fizzing/hissing sound coming from the engine bay while the climate control is on. Particularly when it is set to auto whether AC is on or not. I thought it was the AC compressor but I'm not sure if it is because it is constant and quite noticeable while idling at a traffic light and it also elicited a comment from my wife. If I turn off the climate control/fan off entirely the sound goes away shortly after. Does anyone else experience this? I have an FSport 350 and was wondering if this was by design or if it's an issue. Any feedback would be appreciated.
The following users liked this post:
bosslady16 (10-12-17)

Quick Reply: 4RX Interesting Discoveries Thread (Good or Bad)