RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Extended Warranty (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-15, 12:44 PM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by yoshinator
Thanks everyone for all the info. Very thankful. Will need to do a little research. If I find any other help, I'll report back here.
Just be aware that you can shop around for the Lexus extended warranty and you do not need to buy it from your dealer. I am not a believer in these for a Lexus but shop around for the best price before you commit.
Old 12-27-15, 12:46 PM
joewnj
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2 sets of tires in 53000 miles.
First set (factory Michelin, low rolling resistance) wore out in 22,000 miles. I don't think the service people ever rotated the tires and I complained and got a $400 service credit for the cost of the replacement tires. I also put different color paint on each valve stem and take pictures before each service to make sure they rotate the tires.
Second set at about 45000 (Bridgestone, recommend by RX400H hybrid forum) due to cracks in rubber but plenty of tread life left. Got a credit towards new tires from the Firestone/Bridgestone tire dealer. Total cost of the two sets, after credits, was about what one set would have cost if the first set had lasted the normal 30K-40K that other cars I have owned achieved.
Old 12-27-15, 06:52 PM
captjeff1
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default $1,800 for Lexus (2016 RX350)8 year, 80,000 warranty

Originally Posted by yoshinator
It was something like $2,300 for 8 year / 72,000 miles [really 4 years and 24,000 miles in addition to the standard warranty].
Just paid $1,800 for Lexus (2016 RX350)8 year, 80,000 warranty
All you need to do is ask for this price from the dealer...
Got mine from South Bay Lexus...
The following users liked this post:
morocco (10-28-17)
Old 04-02-16, 08:42 PM
pqn628
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Platinum Warranty

Has anyonI purchased the platinum extended warranty? I was offered a 10 year platinum warranty for 2650 today. I normally don't keep cars for more than 4 years but we plan on keeping the RX for a very long time.
Old 04-03-16, 07:01 AM
joewnj
Rookie

If you read Consumer Reports, Lexus is at the top of the list in reliability. We recently traded my wife's 2008 RX400H for a 2016 RX350. In the 8 years we had the RX400h, we had minimal problems with it. Tires, 12 v battery, some cheap lights, plus regular oil changes, filter replacements, etc (that are not covered by the warranty). The only non-expected repair was a leaking water pump. I called Lexus and asked if they could help since the car had low mileage. They agreed to pay for all labor and I just had to pay for the parts (about $300).
Of all the cars I have owned over the years, very few repairs would have been covered by the extended warranty. Even for the two VWs I owned in the 70s, the extended warranty would have cost more than the repairs to those high maintenance cars.
My recommendation is to save the money and put it in a kitty for repairs, if and when they occur.
Old 04-03-16, 07:03 AM
cpreecs
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I had a 2007 IS, I bought the Lexus 100k warranty when the factory warranty ran out. Cost around 1800. Got the deal from my service advisor.
Old 05-15-16, 09:26 AM
pBOMB
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pqn628
Has anyonI purchased the platinum extended warranty? I was offered a 10 year platinum warranty for 2650 today. I normally don't keep cars for more than 4 years but we plan on keeping the RX for a very long time.
I bought it just to be safe since I'll have the car for a long time. With all the technology in the car I would rather just not deal with the headache if something does go wrong and it was worth it to me. It's just personal preference. Similar to insurance, you buy for peace of mind.
Old 05-15-16, 12:30 PM
dotbowels
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pqn628
If you do decide to get, check with one one of the other dealers that discount heavily. Jerry in Kansas is one I think.

I had a 2010 that was trouble free and a 2013 trouble free. That being said I'm not sure about once they get past the 4 year factory 50K factory warranty.

Good Luck !
Old 05-15-16, 01:43 PM
daveylin
Rookie

There are two things that make me not want to buy any extended warranties/pre paid services etc.

1. The sheer amount of lies the finance person tells you! I know a little about cars.. not a mechanic by any means... but she was telling me its like 180 for an oil change in california. She also told me that not doing services at lexus voids all my warranties. When you lie to me, i just dont trust you.

2. The dealer wouldnt be selling this if they dont make tons of money off it... so chances are that you will not save any money buying any of these... if the odds were in the consumers favor... they would stop selling these immediately.
Old 05-16-16, 09:35 AM
sushiboiii
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

never get the pre paid services. they are not worth it. at the toyota I work at we did the math and there is no savings. anytime you go in for service just as for a tire rotation, multi point inspection, and oil change and its waaaaaaaaay cheaper and its the same service you would normally get with the pre paid services.
Old 05-16-16, 10:22 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Never personally purchased prepaid service or warranty for a Toyo/Lexus ride. However have done that for BMW, and if it works the same, just wait till the last possible second to buy the warranty.

Prepaid service is no. If you look at the service guide, these vehicles need basic things that, you can pay for yourself for a lot less, and/or do yourself as long as you have documentation to the effect.

Extended warranty, I`d get once i have a feel for a particular build. If your car exceeds a set reputations for quality, save a rainy day fund. If its been a headache, purchase the warranty from your insurance provider or dealer. Just make sure to get a copy of the exact contract before signing to see what their "TOP OF THE LINE NOTHING BETTER THEN THIS" warranty terms define their contract. A lot of warranties like to hide they dont cover electronics or nav units etc etc.

And finally shop around. Warranties (again no experience with Lexus), can be purchased from different dealers so need to commit to one person, figure it out by putting in some hours.
Old 05-16-16, 11:39 AM
aznkorboi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 116 Likes on 89 Posts

Yes! Thanks everyone. Good to know what i'm in for when I pick up my car. Never get their warranty.
Old 05-17-16, 03:50 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

1. I have purchased about 10 different Lexus vehicles in my lifetime and never once bought a Extended warranty for electrical and mechanical protection. None of my Lexi need any repairs beyond the basic oil changes etc. My 2006 LS 430 had 245,000 before I sold it and i had ZERO issues with it and every electronic part works when I sold it and ran like a champ. Keep in mind my LS did not come with air suspention.

2. All warrantees are negotiable! You can talk them down to about half the price or more off of the warranty or prepaid service contract. So the value of buying a warranty gets better if you can close the gap.

3. Some warranties and services sold pays for itself! For example, the tire and wheel insurance. I have bought 10 different Lexus cars, brand new over 20 years of driving and never once did the dealership ever try to sell me the TIRE AND WHEEL insurance. Maby because they dont make money on it but I always ask for it and they always sold it to me. And everytime it paid for itself. I dont know anyone who can drive the same car for 5 years and never had a wheel curb or tire problems. It gives me the peace of mind that if i accidentally rub my wheels on a sidewalk curb or running over a large pothole that I am covered for repair or even replacement of wheel and tire. Usually this warranty is very low cost up front.

4. If i were buying a BMW or Land Rover this whole post would be written up differently. ALWAYS buy warranties on car manufactuers who you know has a reputation for granading once pass basic manufacturer warranty.
Old 05-17-16, 06:06 AM
pqn628
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for the input everyone. This is my third Lexus and I know Lexus is very reputable. I didn't buy it on the previous 2. I figured spending 2600 isn't going to break the bank when we are already spending 55k. It also came with 7 years full interior protection which I have used because of a tear in the driver door panel.
Old 05-18-16, 09:00 AM
DenverRx
Pit Crew

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

I've never purchased an extended warranty on any of my Toyota vehicles, however I've read on other forums if you wish to, it's best to wait until the factory warranty is just about up. Apparently, if you sell/ trade the vehicle, you get the balance of the warranty cash back, based on when you purchased the policy. If you buy a policy when the car is new (and covered by the factory warranty) the clock starts ticking...
The following users liked this post:
LexNYC83 (04-25-20)

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty (merged threads)