RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Wife's new RX review

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-15, 01:36 PM
jalnsx
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Default Wife's new RX review

Let me start by saying I have never been a fan of the Rx and that's all my wife will drive. I think at this point she has had 7 and now 8 with the new 2016 today. I must say the new Rx is leaps and bounds better than the old one in every way. I am 6'1 and 250 and I just have always been to big and never could get comfortable in the Rx until today. I drove 2.5 hours to pick up her new one and I must say I am very impressed.

The car is bigger so for me I was sold before I got out of parking lot and I was comfortable right off the lot. The entire car is just bigger and seems like it has kindly caught with the technology with all the new buttons and such. Which I understand the old one was getting long in the tooth and needed a revamp. It drives really about the same to me and it is quite as you would expect from a Lexus. Power seems good an possibly a bit better than the previous version. I love the large nav. screen and we choose the Noble Brown which I think makes the interior. Like I stated earlier the Rx averaged 22.5 mpg on the 150 mile trek home and was very smooth and effortless. One thing I did notice and it seems like most of all makes are not putting in a scan button option on the radio. I always scan thru stations and this car is quit difficult to find new stations. You have to manually dial in station and then save it to the preset list. I may not be doing this right but I hate it if this is the only way to search radio stations. However, this is my only complaint so far and I never drive it so I guess it really does not matter.

Conclusion is I think it is by far better than the old Rx. The look is great and besides the minor radio dislike I would tell everyone to def. give it a look I think most will be pleasantly surprises and happy with the new Rx. Also, you must get the option 20" wheels I hated the luxury wheel and also was not crazy about the f sport wheels either. I originally wanted another F sport since that's what she had but after much looking and building and comparing we just built one with all the major stuff important to her.
Old 11-10-15, 06:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Congrats! Post up some pics.
Old 11-10-15, 10:34 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

I have a 14 and can never get comfortable with the front seats. I wish mine had the thigh support extender. It seems that most cars today lack in thigh support. I have yet to sit in a seat as comfortable as my old 91 Caddy had. I was never fatigued in those seats.
Old 11-11-15, 10:59 AM
offroad200
Instructor

Received 160 Likes on 119 Posts

There isn't a scan button on the radio screen? You can also seek up or down by pushing and holding the preset button on your steering wheel until you hear a beep.
Old 11-11-15, 11:38 AM
jalnsx
Rookie

Originally Posted by offroad200
There isn't a scan button on the radio screen? You can also seek up or down by pushing and holding the preset button on your steering wheel until you hear a beep.
No her 15 we traded had the scan button on screen this one does not or at least I have not found it! I tried holding the button down but it never beeped it would only scroll thru the presets when you held it down!
Old 11-12-15, 05:24 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Congrats... I can't wait to see a new RX in person and sit in one..
Old 11-12-15, 08:52 AM
Mors
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

According to the Quick Guide Owners Manual page 66; or the Navigation Manual page 155, there is a scan button. It appears with the new 12" nav screen, if the radio is in the small part, there is no scan button.
Let us know if you find it.
Old 11-12-15, 04:18 PM
jalnsx
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mors
According to the Quick Guide Owners Manual page 66; or the Navigation Manual page 155, there is a scan button. It appears with the new 12" nav screen, if the radio is in the small part, there is no scan button.
Let us know if you find it.
You are correct I just went out to car and when on the radio screen hit info and on the info screen it has the scan button. Thanks I never read the books so thanks for the info!
Old 11-13-15, 08:27 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Originally Posted by charley95
I have a 14 and can never get comfortable with the front seats. I wish mine had the thigh support extender. It seems that most cars today lack in thigh support. I have yet to sit in a seat as comfortable as my old 91 Caddy had. I was never fatigued in those seats.
I completely agree. Thigh support is lacking for no good reason in many cars. Makes a huge difference to me. It is one of the major factors as I am currently shopping around to see what is out there.
Old 11-14-15, 06:19 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by CapeDave
I completely agree. Thigh support is lacking for no good reason in many cars. Makes a huge difference to me. It is one of the major factors as I am currently shopping around to see what is out there.
If you look at the new RX check to see if they still offer the thigh support extender. It was an option on the 3rd generation but mine did not have that option. I spent 450 miles in mine today and was not comfortable with the seats. I think a seat should feel like your sitting [in it] instead of sitting [on it] like sitting on a bar stool. I'm not a large guy and don't see how a larger frame person can be comfortable in these seats. Other than that, the Lexus over all quality is outstanding IMO.
Old 11-15-15, 06:41 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
If you look at the new RX check to see if they still offer the thigh support extender.
It is part of the Luxury package and is not shown as a stand alone option.
Steve
Old 11-15-15, 07:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Agreed on the thigh support extenders.Had them ion both front seats in my GS and my LS has one for the driver. We went to a party last night and my wife drove home because I'd had a little too much glee, and I missed it on the passenger side...
Old 11-15-15, 04:54 PM
gptgirl
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The new Volvo XC90 has the thigh support in the Inscription model
Old 11-18-15, 06:55 PM
CapeDave
Pole Position

Originally Posted by gptgirl
The new Volvo XC90 has the thigh support in the Inscription model
Yes, I have seen those seats but not sat in them. Scared if I did I would have to buy the car Which it is a little too big for me. In Lexus, the seats whit thigh support are different in every way than their stock seats, so I am not sure I would even like them.

The seats in my 2012 RX are C+/B- for me. I would love to move up to B+/A- at a minimum.

The 20 way BMW seats are just too rich for me

I am looking at an XC60 with sport seats. On my short drive they were quite comfortable. Volvo in general seems to have good seats for me.
Old 11-18-15, 08:19 PM
Martin321
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, I have seen those seats but not sat in them. Scared if I did I would have to buy the car Which it is a little too big for me. In Lexus, the seats whit thigh support are different in every way than their stock seats, so I am not sure I would even like them.

The seats in my 2012 RX are C+/B- for me. I would love to move up to B+/A- at a minimum.

The 20 way BMW seats are just too rich for me

I am looking at an XC60 with sport seats. On my short drive they were quite comfortable. Volvo in general seems to have good seats for me.
Don't feel so blue, 2016 X5 with a 20 way seats will cost you the same as RX350 fully loaded. They are almost in the same price range with the the same driver safety assist package and premium package. BMW is not out of range. Don't think that if BMW comes with those multi contour seats that they would be out of range of our price. They are almost in the same price bracket. As a matter of fact, I was confirmed with a 5K discount on 16 X5 with multi contour seats in the same price range.

Quick Reply: Wife's new RX review