RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Plastic wheel well trims?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-15, 05:21 PM
Henry82
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Plastic wheel well trims?

The trim around all the wheel wells are plastic in every picture that I've seen... which, IMO, rather cheapens the look of the 2016 RX. Is there an option to get them body color? Tho I suspect this may be impossible as it looks to be a completely separate piece/panel... it effectively gives every color but Black a two-tone look.

I'm going to have to give preference to the 2015 on this particular part of the design.
Old 11-08-15, 06:03 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

I agree. It cheapens the vehicle. And if you get white, it makes the wheel gap look that much worse.
Old 11-08-15, 07:27 PM
kwc_diesel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you noticed too, the plastic wheel arches are disappointing.

See Post#4 and onwards...
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...-to-build.html
Old 11-11-15, 05:02 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

I would loved to have the 2016 F-Sport wheels on my new RX.

Are these plastic wheel arches removable? Wonder what the wheel would look like without?
Old 11-11-15, 06:52 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,057 Likes on 692 Posts

I said this the first time I saw the 2016. Looks cheap. What is Lexus thinking!! They seriously want it to look more like a Toyota RAV4? At least Lexus make it an accessory if by some small chance someone would actually like to install it.
Old 11-11-15, 07:36 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I agree too now that I have seen it in person but i am sure it will grow on me just like the grill. But it is not a deal breaker. Wish it didnt came with it tho cuz it would make the car even more desirable.
Old 11-12-15, 08:10 PM
winsalem
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

There was some discussion and recommendations in one of the threads about the best black 'protectant' or coating to keep the plastic wheel trim black. Does anybody remember when or in which thread this occurred? (Shoulda written it down. Doh!!)
Old 11-13-15, 05:33 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

When I first saw those wheelwell - fender pieces I asked, "...which Lexus owner wanted their new RX to look like a pickup truck and why did Lexus listen to that one person...?".

Luckily, you can walk into any automotive supply store or WalMart and find restorers and protectants from the major automotive care product manufacturers, even "As Seen on TV".
Old 11-13-15, 07:25 AM
JsGX460
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those of us in the Pacific Northwest who drive in rain and snow will appreciate these greatly. Personally, I'm stoked to see them on our ultra white.
Old 11-13-15, 10:22 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by JsGX460
Those of us in the Pacific Northwest who drive in rain and snow will appreciate these greatly. Personally, I'm stoked to see them on our ultra white.
Washington driver here - what benefit do you see?

I take my car offroad for backcountry backpacking trips sometimes (10+ miles of rough forest roads) and have never had a need for plastic arches. The paint is easy to clean.
Old 11-13-15, 07:36 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by winsalem
There was some discussion and recommendations in one of the threads about the best black 'protectant' or coating to keep the plastic wheel trim black. Does anybody remember when or in which thread this occurred? (Shoulda written it down. Doh!!)
Wasnt that in the NX forums with I think Swacer chiming in?
Old 11-14-15, 04:15 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

OP, as you may know, it is to some extent the automotive trend to have the blacked-out matte plastic look on CUVs these days, much like the NX. It gives more of a sporty-look than a luxury one which is what Lexus is going with on the 4RX as well.

However, if I had a choice, like you, I'd have it color coordinated to minimize the contrast which is partially why I bought my NX in black. For the NX, color-coordinated fender arches are available in Japan (pic and thread link below) to give you an idea so it's possible this may come to N. America on the RX and NX or one can always get it professionally primed and painted.

NOTE: On the NX, the arches are held on by clips so removing them will leave holes in the fender. I expect the same for the 4RX.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ml#post8880114

Last edited by corradoMR2; 11-14-15 at 04:31 AM.
Old 11-14-15, 06:08 AM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Wasnt that in the NX forums with I think Swacer chiming in?
Yup. That was me. I use cquartz trim protectant on mine. It's a "once" (I'll do it twice since my car sits outside all year and deals with PA winter) a year treatment.

I've used it once this far and the trim is blacker and shaper than when it came from the factory. Water will bead off it as well.
Old 11-14-15, 07:17 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Swacer
Yup. That was me. I use cquartz trim protectant on mine. It's a "once" (I'll do it twice since my car sits outside all year and deals with PA winter) a year treatment.

I've used it once this far and the trim is blacker and shaper than when it came from the factory. Water will bead off it as well.
That white NX looks very blah as if it's missing something.
Old 11-14-15, 09:04 AM
winsalem
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

Swacer: Thanks! I found the Cquartz "CarPro DLux Plastic & Wheel Coating" on Amazon. It ain't cheap but like you, here's what one buyer commented:

"Super results and long lasting. Expensive, but application requires a very small amount of fluid. Most detailers will be satisfied with some form of greasy black-out paste, but this product is far superior."

Also just found a YouTube test of Carpro DLux vs another protectant. Shows side-by-side results after 4 months:

Last edited by winsalem; 11-14-15 at 09:17 AM. Reason: added a link

Quick Reply: Plastic wheel well trims?