RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Plastic wheel well trims?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-15, 02:00 PM
Swacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by winsalem
Swacer: Thanks! I found the Cquartz "CarPro DLux Plastic & Wheel Coating" on Amazon. It ain't cheap but like you, here's what one buyer commented:

"Super results and long lasting. Expensive, but application requires a very small amount of fluid. Most detailers will be satisfied with some form of greasy black-out paste, but this product is far superior."

Also just found a YouTube test of Carpro DLux vs another protectant. Shows side-by-side results after 4 months:

CarPro Dlux Plastic & Wheel Coat vs Gtech C4.mp4 - YouTube
That's the product. Yes, it's not cheap initially, but you'll get many uses out of it. I am pleased with the results thus far.
Old 11-19-15, 01:38 PM
winsalem
Pole Position

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Applying DLux to Plastic Trim Pieces

Got my RX 1 week ago. Yesterday I washed/Q-Tipped everything, left in garage overnight to completely dry.

I'm glad I read feedback on the DLux website: "..make sure that you tape around the trim. It will not come off glass or paint!"

http://www.autogeek.net/cquartz-dlux.html

So I first taped-off all the areas with masking tape. Applied the DLux product to black wheel trim, the black plastic "skirt" beneath the doors on both sides, and any other non-painted areas around the front and back bottom edges.

Their website also says "Apply CQuartz DLux to wheels to block out brake dust and cut your cleaning time in half."

I haven't done that yet...but I plan to after the next handwash. I still have half a bottle left, which should do just fine...it doesn't take much at all to coat things. Less is more when applying. p.s. Thank you Swacer!

Note: 1st pic is from DLux website showing the applicator wrapped with one of the suede cloths that are included. They don't mention it but there are grooves on each side of the applicator; 2nd & 3rd pics show where I took a smooth kitchen knife and tucked the suede cloth into those grooves. Sure made it easier. [And yep, I wore latex gloves.]
Attached Thumbnails Plastic wheel well trims?-dlux2-applicator.jpg   Plastic wheel well trims?-applicator-groove-1.jpg   Plastic wheel well trims?-applicator-groove-2.jpg  

Last edited by winsalem; 11-19-15 at 04:52 PM. Reason: added a thank you to Swacer; added pics
Old 11-20-15, 05:12 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

The side with Gtech C4 looks better.
Old 11-21-15, 03:01 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Black trim does not look so,bad on the caviar black RX. Keeping the wax off is going to be a trick. Need to get some plastic dressing for sure.
Old 11-22-15, 08:03 AM
mikeivan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RXOwner
Black trim does not look so,bad on the caviar black RX.
I agree. Unfortunately, my favorite colors are red and silver:

Plastic wheel well trims?-2016-rx-c.jpg

Plastic wheel well trims?-silver-rx-c.jpg

Not sure what the design team was thinking here. It cheapens the vehicle and detracts from the lines, imho. What does it add? Not sure I can get past this on my favorite colors.
Old 11-23-15, 01:08 PM
jwigley
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeivan
I agree. Unfortunately, my favorite colors are red and silver:

Attachment 374506

Attachment 374507

Not sure what the design team was thinking here. It cheapens the vehicle and detracts from the lines, imho. What does it add? Not sure I can get past this on my favorite colors.
I agree. Looks very cheap. I didn't really notice it before but now that people are posting pictures of their rides, it's very noticeable to me, not sure why I'm only noticing it now.

Pretty much a deal breaker for me at this point. Black is the only color that looks decent with the plastic trim but I don't like black cars.

Honestly, this looks so ugly to me that I will likely just wait and see what next year brings. Hopefully they tame how big the wheel well gap looks too.

Last edited by jwigley; 11-24-15 at 09:16 AM.