RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Disappointed new RX

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-15, 09:57 PM
ACEi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disappointed new RX

We have been waiting for this new model since July when we returned our BMX X5 after 3 years of lease. Finally we test-drove new RX today and this vehicle was not impressed to us at all

1. Interior is ok. 2012 X5 cabin still looks better
2. 13" screen NAV is to wide and 8.5" is too ugly
3. Handling is so soft. My current 2016 Acura MDX is wayyyy better
4. Seat is not that comfortable (compare to X5)

5. TOO EXPENSIVE. We chose FWD, Luxury package, 13" NAV, LED headlight..... = 59k? no discount at all.

My 2016 Acura MDX tech package with SH-AWD was only $45,200. I believe MDX is more fun to drive, roomy and have more power than new RX

-- There is no need pre-order new RX. My dealer told us if we wanted it, we could get it next week.

We decide not got buy new RX, instead we will be looking 2013-2014 LS460.
Old 11-07-15, 10:07 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OK, you don't like the new RX but don't sit there and say the Acura is wayyyy better.
You devalued your whole post with that statement.
Old 11-07-15, 10:44 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Funny post. Enjoy your MDX and X4! They are great cars, but we dont need the 3 rows and think the RX is another level or two above the MDX in build quality and features. X5 similarly priced is topping 70K, and the previous gen X5? No thanks.
Old 11-08-15, 10:13 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by ACEi
We have been waiting for this new model since July when we returned our BMX X5 after 3 years of lease. Finally we test-drove new RX today and this vehicle was not impressed to us at all

5. TOO EXPENSIVE. We chose FWD, Luxury package, 13" NAV, LED headlight..... = 59k? no discount at all.

My 2016 Acura MDX tech package with SH-AWD was only $45,200. I believe MDX is more fun to drive, roomy and have more power than new RX

-- There is no need pre-order new RX. My dealer told us if we wanted it, we could get it next week.

Cool....

1) 2014 X5 looks better with open pore wood, dual material usage, and available leather dash. RX also uses a dual material setup, soft touch material. Overall Build Quality on the RX is second to BMW. The MDX material quality is super industrial spec. Hard plastics, fake shiny wood trim, metal plastic etc. Better then Honda materials but not quite luxury yet. I believe the Canadian version is better

2) The wider the screen the easier it is to view things simultaneously. The 8" is kinda ugly with its extremely thick side panels, and this car begs for the 12.5 with thin bezels. Side note the 2014+ X5 looks better, as it has the floating dash with a HMI thats is number 1 in the biz. Lexus system interface is bad since its like using a a trackpad when driving. However compared to the MDX, I`d take the Lexus over the MDX as that system just plain is crap. the 14s and 15s were soo bad, theres a thread on mdxers with 10+ pgs of complaints. Popular reviewers hated the laggy system. The 16 MDX improves slightly, but you know Honda thinks its crappy since theyre letting go of the dual screen setup in the new civic and Pilot (the MDX is the gussied up version of the Pilot and Odssey). For the 16 accord they replaced the headunit with a new system thats soooo much better

3) Handling is a toss up. The MDX and RX Fsport both come with FWD biased AWD systems that detect slip and activate the rear axle with active torque vectoring. IMO SH-AWD only activates and really livens things up when you push it to the limit. At normal average speeds its a big FWD CUV.

4) Seats are individual preferences, but I agree that the comfort option (20 way) on the X5 is amazing. Nothing quite like it on the Japanese Lux Brands

5) Roomy MDX for sure. 5 vs 7 passenger

6) Power goes to the Lexus. Plus the 9 speed on the Acura is a problem in itself (check mdxers forum on this one)

7) Exterior build quality: Lexus. Acuras panel gap fiasco is crazy with this new generation. Way too many cars coming out with mismatched panels (check mdxers)

8) Safety tech: Equal,

9) Cost of Entry: $50K for the MDX while $56K similarlly well equipped.
Old 11-08-15, 12:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

You don't want soft handling so you're going to look at an LS460 instead? I have an LS460 that I love...but that doesn't make any sense.
Old 11-08-15, 03:53 PM
bextreme1
Driver School Candidate

Well, I have been a Lexus guy for over 12 years I love my RX. I've had 4 of them. But, yesterday I drove the new RX and not comparing it to anything but my current 3rd gen RX, it is too big, handles like a pig, is slower than the current one and overall the look is not my taste. My wife said it looked like a hearse! She exaggerated but that was to let me know she wouldn't drive it. The car was for me not her. I waited til I could see one and drive one before forming an opinion. I really wanted to like it because I love Lexus products and service. So now I need to go and see what else is out there but it won't be an MDX! I will say that those who have an opinion before driving one should drive it and see what you think.
Old 11-08-15, 06:04 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

So you can't pop for $59K, but you're going to drop $65K on a used car? Good grief man.
Old 11-09-15, 12:49 PM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I have owned 3 Acura's, 2 MDX's and currently have a TL in the household, so I am an Acura fan. They have been very trouble free, dependable vehicles that I have nothing bad to say about.

Prior to purchasing our RX F Sport last year we considered another MDX and took an SH-AWD Tech on an extended test drive. It was comfortable and drove fine (aside from a couple of minor things), but then we took a test drive in the RX F-Sport the next day. And before we even pulled out of the dealer we could feel a big difference just sitting inside..

Drove it and it wasn't even close how quiet and refined it was compared to the MDX. And our RX is a 15 so I can only imagine how much more refined the 16 RX is compared to the MDX.

And if you're comparing a FWD RX to your 2016 SH-AWD MDX of course the RX handling is going to feel soft. Unfair comparison. Also, the 2016 RX is a brand new model that is barely hitting showrooms yet. So it's not uncommon for any brand, not only Lexus to not offer discounts so soon.

Enjoy your MDX it's a good vehicle, but the RX in my experience is better.

Last edited by JT4; 11-09-15 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-09-15, 03:09 PM
dnguyen_GS430
Driver

I have been a loyal Toyota and Lexus fan all my life. I have had cars from Toyota Corolla GT-S, Toyota Celica GTS, Toyota MR2, Toyota Supra and Toyota Cressida. If you know all those cars I mentioned then you're as old as I am. LOL. If I made a decision to get away from the Toyota/Lexus family doesn't mean I devalue my post or of kind but I just want to get better bang for my buck. My wife and bought the 2001 GS430 and RX300 Silver Sport when they came out 2001 and we dropped 110K for the cars. We are still driving the 2 cars today. After 15 years of loyal services from 2 of out cars, we are looking to get another set of new cars. We are waiting for the new RX to come out and test drive it and make our final decision. However, looking at a cost of 59K + is a tough decision. Like I said, I just want to get more bang for the BUCKS. To be honest, I am considering getting the ACURA MDX but held back because I want to test drive the RX first.

Again, By buying the ACURA MDX doesn't mean that the RX is any bad, it just that we want to get more value for the money. AS for my RX and GS, we are probably keeping them until the fall apart. It's time for my GS to get a 3rd timing belt....
Old 11-09-15, 03:33 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Anyone who goes into a forum dedicated to a specific brand and bash that brand and praising the other brand is a forum TROLL. I can smell them a a mile away.

1. Seriously? An 2012 X5 has better interior? All of BMWs interior are the same boring at best. I cant tell the difference between an 3 series 5 series or X series interiors because they are just clones of each other.

2. So your Ok with the widescreen navi in BMWs but hate it on the RX?

3. So you take your MDX to the race track? Seriously why complain about handling unless you are going to race it? The RXs main goal is to get people to there destination in comfort. Do you work for Acura?

4. I think lexus seats are way more comfortable than Acura and lexus semi analine leather is leagues better than any leather Acura could make.

5. So $60k cost too much but $60k for a used LS460 is okay? Does not matter what manufacter it is as long as its a NEW model....you will never get a good deal.
Old 11-09-15, 04:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dnguyen_GS430
However, looking at a cost of 59K + is a tough decision
This is a price for a fully loaded vehicle. You don't have to buy a fully loaded vehicle.

If anybody is wondering why Lexus won't sell combo F Sport/Luxury GS, IS, NX, RX? This is why. Someone sees a fully loaded price and says "I won't buy that for that!"

Take my LS...a loaded LS460L is about $105,000. It would be like me saying "Good lord! Its not worth $105k!" when in realty my LS was $25k less than that because it isn't a fully loaded model.

A fully loaded MDX is over $50k. Look at what a loaded X5 costs...its over $80k!
Old 11-09-15, 04:51 PM
s4iscool
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Unfortunately two deal killers for us with the MDX: 1. Serious fit and finish issues. Just Google it or walk your acura lot...the panel gaps are insane. Even Honda does better, not sure whats causing the decline with the MDX. 2. 9 Speed transmission is a nightmare. Poor shifts, wrong gear, just google it. I say unfortunate because its a conservatively styled car that will age well and comes with every option for under $60k...easily bought under invoice. We felt the RX was just another level all around.
Old 11-09-15, 07:12 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Value for money is a total win for MDX. RX is 59k fully loaded, while the MDX stickers at 55k with more room. Heck the fully loaded version comes at 50k discounted by some dealers so yea, unless lexus starts padding on the trunk money you just can't match the Mdx. Will you sacrifice in some areas, for sure
Old 11-09-15, 07:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Value is a relative thing, it depends on what your needs are. I drove the MDX, its a nice vehicle but its very plain, very Honda. The RX has more flair, its more nicely appointed inside. I personally wouldn't buy an MDX...
Old 11-09-15, 07:43 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

People need to stop comparing on size and dollars...serious. You do know you can buy a hunk of junk Escalade for $105k loaded right? Would I drive it? No. But it's got so much space!!! Yes, but it's a hunk of junk too. A Pilot has more room than an RX too, but would I drive one? No, it's mostly cheap plastic everywhere inside. A MDX is best to compare but it's just a better Honda but is nowhere near a Lexus in quality. I still own a 2005 RL thats still doing very well but it was also $50k 10 years ago. It just doesn't have the fit and finish of a Lexus, even an ES. I'm still gonna keep the RX for bad weather days since it only has 50k miles on it and drive the 450h on good days.

Quick Reply: Disappointed new RX