RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Disappointed new RX

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-15, 06:57 PM
HTOWNE
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SW15LS
HUGE difference.

I don't have an X5 or an RX.

Just FYI, you do know that discounting on the RX is huge right? Lexus vehicles are more heavily discounted than BMW vehicles for sure.

Even the new RX, give it a few months and you'll be buying it for 10% under MSRP.

I don't care. I made a general statement. I don't think I addressed you specifically.

Really Sherlock! Of course they are heavily discounting the remaining 2015 models. Look at the difference between the 2015 and 2016. They barely increased the price on the new redesign so who would buy the 2015 if it was the same price as the 2016 with all the improvements. Not too many.

I can guarantee you that the RX will not have a 10% discount in a few months. Good luck with that thought process. Not going to happen. Mark my word!
Old 11-13-15, 06:59 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Just FYI, you do know that discounting on the RX is huge right? Lexus vehicles are more heavily discounted than BMW vehicles for sure.

Even the new RX, give it a few months and you'll be buying it for 10% under MSRP.
Agreed
Pricing Wise, at vehicle launch, almost zero vehicles are below sticker (glaring problem if it is). However give it a couple months, 8-10% is the norm. BMWs usually sell at 92% of sticker or below with incentives during a time of the year.

However since you are basically encouraged to option with BMW, you can run the price up quite high vs packaging that Lexus basically offers. I think a Rx350 max is close to $62.
Old 11-13-15, 07:03 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by HTOWNE
I don't care. I made a general statement. I don't think I addressed you specifically.

Really Sherlock! Of course they are heavily discounting the remaining 2015 models. Look at the difference between the 2015 and 2016. They barely increased the price on the new redesign so who would buy the 2015 if it was the same price as the 2016 with all the improvements. Not too many.

I can guarantee you that the RX will not have a 10% discount in a few months. Good luck with that thought process. Not going to happen. Mark my word!
True we cannot guarantee a market rate discount but I tend to use the NX as an example.

At Launch 1 year ago, MSRP was the lowest you could reach.
Spring came, maybe 1000 below.
Summer came 2000 below
Now 2015s are easy 10% off sticker 2016s are 8 %

the NX is also not spending many days on the lot. so its in high demand. In addition Lexus original estimates of how big of a success the NX is, were grossly underestimated.Even with that you can get a 2015-2016 as a quite a discount.

RX is good, but I dont expect it to be MSRPing short of a component shortage causing decreased supply
Old 11-13-15, 07:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Didn't say you were.

How many Lexus vehicles have you bought? I think its 1.

I've bought 6, and have been an enthusiast of the brand for going on 18 years. I have watched and discussed Lexus and Lexus pricing and sales trends basically every day for those 18 years. I will take that bet, within 6 months you'll be able to get $5k off of a 2016 RX. Its happened with every other Lexus model, it happened with the all new ES in 2013, happened to the NX, happened with the all new GS in 2013. My LS was $10,000 off MSRP, thats 13%.

The RX is a volume car, the discounts and rebates will come, the cheap leases will come. They always have, and they always will.

My point is not to disparage Lexus or the RX, I am obviously a huge Lexus fan, but your point that there are issues with cars with deep discounting is not really accurate, especially when your point was to denigrate them compared to Lexus when they have always offered steep discounts.
Old 11-13-15, 07:18 PM
HTOWNE
Rookie

Didn't say you were.

How many Lexus vehicles have you bought? I think its 1.

I've bought 6, and have been an enthusiast of the brand for going on 18 years. I have watched and discussed Lexus and Lexus pricing and sales trends basically every day for those 18 years. I will take that bet, within 6 months you'll be able to get $5k off of a 2016 RX. Its happened with every other Lexus model, it happened with the all new ES in 2013, happened to the NX, happened with the all new GS in 2013. My LS was $10,000 off MSRP, thats 13%.

The RX is a volume car, the discounts and rebates will come, the cheap leases will come. They always have, and they always will.

My point is not to disparage Lexus or the RX, I am obviously a huge Lexus fan, but your point that there are issues with cars with deep discounting is not really accurate, especially when your point was to denigrate them compared to Lexus when they have always offered steep discounts.

Your answer is: WRONG!

I have had 5 and currently have 2. I had the 2013 GS as well, and paid too much for it, but I bought a GX and drove it 300 miles and took it back the next day and purchased the GS when it first launched. I was not in a good position to negotiate too much, but they did take the GX back without any loss. I understand the price will go down eventually and the leases will be good. I understand they sell over 100,000 per year. The comment was 10% after a few months. To me, a few months is 2. It will not go down that much in 2 months. I wont disagree that it might in 6 months, but I don't think it will be 10%.

They also offer deeper discounts on the X5 and have good leases. When the latest X5 was released, the discount was minimal. I get it.

When I am talking about big discounts, I am talking more than 10% and there is always a reason behind it.

Last edited by HTOWNE; 11-13-15 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-13-15, 07:34 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

^once you go above 10% only a specific reason applies:

Model Year Old
Recession
High Gas Prices
Next Generation Model Launching soon (Current 3rd Gen is at 15% off closing to 20% on upper end vehicles)
Vehicle just isnt selling welling (ahem caddy CTS 2L for 10-20Ks off at one point)
Old 11-13-15, 07:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Your answer is: WRONG!

I have had 5 and currently have 2.
So now you've gone from "Always a BMW person and now I think I always will be a Lexus person" to "Ive had 5 Lexus vehicles and currently have 2"

The comment was 10% after a couple of months. To me, a couple of months is 2. It will not go down that much in 2 months. I wont disagree that it might in 6 months, but I don't think it will be 10%.
Actually the comment was "a few months"...which means at least 3 as one would be one, and a couple would be 2.

Clarification:

And FYI, TrueCar right now today is offering over 5% off the 2016 RX. I've never bought a car I couldn't get at least another $1,000 off of over TrueCar, so that would bring the total amount off to ~ 7%...thats right now with no dealer cash...which surprised even me. So I will also take the bet that we will see 10% discounts by the first of 2016 easily once you see a $2,000 rebate...which we will.

TrueCar:

Last edited by SW17LS; 11-13-15 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-13-15, 07:54 PM
HTOWNE
Rookie

So now you've gone from "Always a BMW person and now I think I always will be a Lexus person" to "Ive had 5 Lexus vehicles and currently have 2"

Actually the comment was "a few months"...which means at least 3 as one would be one, and a couple would be 2.

Clarification:

And FYI, TrueCar right now today is offering over 5% off the 2016 RX. I've never bought a car I couldn't get at least another $1,000 off of over TrueCar, so that would bring the total amount off to ~ 7%...thats right now with no dealer cash...which surprised even me. So I will also take the bet that we will see 10% discounts by the first of 2016 easily once you see a $2,000 rebate...which we will.

TrueCar:

That is correct. I always purchased BMW's until my husband talked me into getting a 2010 RX350 for our business. I still have both, but now like the Lexus brand better. What is your point?

A few means more than 1. It can mean 2-3. It has always meant 2 to me.

I cant say you are wrong or right about the discount. We shall see. FYI, there are zero TRUECar discounts on the 2016 RX350 in my area.
Old 11-13-15, 07:57 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

A very childish thread. The car market is huge with different goals for each buyer and manufacturers trying to satisfy them. There is no 'better' vehicle overall, it depends on what the owner is looking for and what vehicle grabs them. You can argue all day, everyday about this feature and that feature and it doesn't make a bit of difference other than to yourself. If the quality of the napa leather is your touchstone for acceptance go for it.
Old 11-13-15, 07:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

A few means more than 1. It can mean 2-3. It has always meant 2 to me.
LOL! So a few and a couple means 2 to you?

I cant say you are wrong or right about the discount. We shall see.
Except where you already told me I was wrong, but now change your tune when I show you I might be a little more right than you thought.
Old 11-13-15, 08:10 PM
HTOWNE
Rookie

LOL! So a few and a couple means 2 to you?

Except where you already told me I was wrong, but now change your tune when I show you I might be a little more right than you thought.
I just entered the TRUECar zipcode that you show and when you continue on 2 of the 3 dealers do not offer any price information and the third dealer is not the same price.

"TrueCar provides no guarantees that their Certified Dealerships will honor your “target price.” Without a guaranteed price, there seems to be little reason to go through the process in the first place."

TRUECar has a B- rating with the Better Business Bureau.

"This service is pretty much worthless. It's nothing but a referral service for dealers."

Last edited by HTOWNE; 11-13-15 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-13-15, 09:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

"This service is pretty much worthless. It's nothing but a referral service for dealers."
Thats exactly what it is LOL. What else would someone expect it to be?

I just entered the TRUECar zipcode that you show and when you continue on 2 of the 3 dealers do not offer any price information and the third dealer is not the same price.
Dealers have to have the car in stock for the price certificate to be available, dealers have very little 2016 stock right now. I've used the service for years, if they're showing that discount that discount is attainable. I have only known it to be conservative, never aggressive.

I just clicked the button, two of the dealers aren't showing a certificate you're right, but the dealer that is is showing the same price as the TrueCar estimate.
Old 11-16-15, 11:33 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Did we skim posts again? LOL
1) RX4 is not the same as the RX
I think he meant 4RX, as in 4th Gen RX.