RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Pano roof and roof cross bars (merged threads)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-16, 02:09 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by skiracer
ROOF RACKS WASTE 100 MILLION GALLONS OF GAS NATIONWIDE

http://www.motortrend.com/news/roof-...se-nationwide/
Only install them when you need them. Take it off right after use.
The following users liked this post:
mvpomaha (12-15-18)
Old 04-29-16, 12:55 PM
SFocLA
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ROOF RACKS WASTE 100 MILLION GALLONS OF GAS NATIONWIDE

http://www.motortrend.com/news/roof-...se-nationwide/
I read that article as well, IMO its all relative. MPG can go up and down with anything: tires, weight, crossbars etc.

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
Only install them when you need them. Take it off right after use.
I actually thought about this, it is VERY easy to install and put back on, maybe 10 mins max. I just was thinking to sharpie/mark the sections so I know exactly where to reinstall them.
Old 05-27-16, 07:06 AM
StillCreek
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great info. saw this too late and purchased Lexus cross bars. even dealer didn't understand that RX's with Panoramic Roof do not have drilled holes in inside rail so the studs on cross bar assembly doesn't have anything to secure too. I am considering drilling holes in the roof rails so I can use the Lexus for 3 reasons: 1. I like the redundant safety of a mechanical connection the studs provide (I trust Thule but more is always better) 2. Cheap and want to save $100+. 3. Engineer and comfortable with making a drill jig to insure ?? it works.
Will post pic's of process. need to do it before August vacation but will be done in June....just in case.
The following users liked this post:
odanada1 (01-10-24)
Old 05-27-16, 11:11 AM
Macs4RX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will be very interested to see the results of this test - thanks.
Old 05-27-16, 11:55 AM
RhetAustin
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently purchased a 2016 RX350 (moonroof, not panoramic) and am interested in getting a rack and rooftop cargo holder for long trips. Any recommendations?

Seems like Thule and Yakima are the most popular brands?
Old 05-29-16, 03:11 PM
StillCreek
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best deal is Lexus roof racks. ~$240 vs Thule ~$350+. utilizes holes too for added safety. don't have them install, just purchase. I already owned a Thule box and am happy with it but you need to decide size, cost, etc.
Old 05-31-16, 11:34 AM
SFocLA
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by StillCreek
Great info. saw this too late and purchased Lexus cross bars. even dealer didn't understand that RX's with Panoramic Roof do not have drilled holes in inside rail so the studs on cross bar assembly doesn't have anything to secure too. I am considering drilling holes in the roof rails so I can use the Lexus for 3 reasons: 1. I like the redundant safety of a mechanical connection the studs provide (I trust Thule but more is always better) 2. Cheap and want to save $100+. 3. Engineer and comfortable with making a drill jig to insure ?? it works.
Will post pic's of process. need to do it before August vacation but will be done in June....just in case.
I was considering drilling the holes as well, also thought about just buying new non pano rails and swapping if the specs matched depending on the cost. If you look the factory setup vs thule in person imo Thule seems more secure and heavy duty. Yes the holes help, but the factory cross bar setup is so thin. So depending on what you want to carry up top could affect your decision. Yes it is a cheaper option to go factory, if I didnt not have my Thule hookup I would be doing the same as you. Also note others have said the factory crossbars can pinch without going in to holes.

Originally Posted by RhetAustin
I recently purchased a 2016 RX350 (moonroof, not panoramic) and am interested in getting a rack and rooftop cargo holder for long trips. Any recommendations?

Seems like Thule and Yakima are the most popular brands?
If you have reg moon roof you have 2 options. Factory crossbars which can be found cheapest on eBay or go Thule route. Depends on what you can afford, but affordability is the factory lexus crossbars. Main reason why pano roof owners like myself went to Thule solution because thats the only solution unless you decide to drill holes.
The following 2 users liked this post by SFocLA:
morocco (06-24-18), RaiderHawk (01-11-19)
Old 07-02-16, 10:30 PM
gfgolden
10th Gear

Default Factory Crossbars Installed

I installed the Lexus luggage rack cross bars on my red RX 350. 2016. Same position as yours per instructions. I like them.
Old 08-14-16, 06:47 PM
kevinmlexu
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad I read all this stuff and found the Thule's will work with my new RX 350 2016 with pano roof. If they really didn't want people to have the option, then why would they have the rails even installed??

Ordered the Thule cross rails with mount kit to match the RX 350 2016. Installed as per instructions and that was that. Like others here have said, just be sure to not open the moon roof when you're carrying something on the roof.

I was a little bummed out to see that Lexus was now using the flush rails instead of the raised rails on my 2010 & 2013. Means i'll have to keep the crossbars on during the Christmas season so I can run the Christmas lights around the roof like I've gotten used to doing.

Last edited by kevinmlexu; 08-25-16 at 10:53 PM.
Old 08-27-16, 10:27 PM
gfgolden
10th Gear

I bought the OEM crossbars. I have the pano moonroof. It will work and open just fine. I installed mine by myself. Yes I found out that my rails are not predrilled.
I have a one foot ham radio antenna on the rear crossbar. Weighs less that 1 pound. I am not planning on putting anything heavy up there. The clearance when opening is 1/4 inch of moonroof
to crossbar. So I would say tight but as long as it clears that is enough. I left in the pins since I did not know they would come out. It still works. I do not have a pic but can post one
if anybody is interested.
Old 08-29-16, 08:28 AM
daffydd
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Roof Rack w. Panoramic Roof?

My dealer tells me that the OEM roof rack cross-bars are incompatible with the panoramic roof on my 2016 RX 350. If anyone knows of a compatible roof carrier for light loads—60 lbs / 27 kg or less—I would be grateful to hear from you. I'm not willing to risk damage to the vehicle.

Thanks!
Old 08-29-16, 09:40 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

It's a shame, and I don't understand why Lexus did this, especially since my Highlander has the panoramic roof with OEM cross rails and no reduction in load capacity.
Old 08-29-16, 12:59 PM
daffydd
Driver

Originally Posted by gfgolden
I bought the OEM crossbars. I have the pano moonroof. It will work and open just fine. I installed mine by myself. Yes I found out that my rails are not predrilled.
I have a one foot ham radio antenna on the rear crossbar. Weighs less that 1 pound. I am not planning on putting anything heavy up there. The clearance when opening is 1/4 inch of moonroof
to crossbar. So I would say tight but as long as it clears that is enough. I left in the pins since I did not know they would come out. It still works. I do not have a pic but can post one
if anybody is interested.
Well, Ľ inch of clearance explains the incompatibility. With a load of a few pounds the cross-bars would deflect and strike the glass roof. So the question remains--any alternatives
to the Lexus cross-bars that will provide a few inches of clearance?
Old 08-30-16, 05:02 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by daffydd
My dealer tells me that the OEM roof rack cross-bars are incompatible with the panoramic roof on my 2016 RX 350. If anyone knows of a compatible roof carrier for light loads—60 lbs / 27 kg or less—I would be grateful to hear from you. I'm not willing to risk damage to the vehicle.

Thanks!
https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/fit-my-car
Old 08-30-16, 05:54 PM
daffydd
Driver

Yes, thanks. The only Thule dealers in my area are bicycle shops, but I'll check them out anyway. I was hoping to hear from someone who would say "I have Thule (or Yakima) on my pano-roof RX 350 and..." No such luck.

Quick Reply: Pano roof and roof cross bars (merged threads)?