RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Analog clock in dash

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-15, 12:15 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I find the analog clock beautiful! It adds a bit of class to the interior.
Old 11-17-15, 03:13 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of the time people look at a clock to tell what time it *isn't*, not what time it is. You can do that with an analog clock at a glance. Not so with a digital.

Try this - if you see a man look at his wristwatch, immediately after he lowers his arm, ask him what time it is. Usually he'll have to look at his watch again to tell you.
Old 11-17-15, 03:29 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 1NICESC430
Most of the time people look at a clock to tell what time it *isn't*, not what time it is. You can do that with an analog clock at a glance. Not so with a digital.

Try this - if you see a man look at his wristwatch, immediately after he lowers his arm, ask him what time it is. Usually he'll have to look at his watch again to tell you.
Or he'll just do it to verify. You can do that same experiment with people that look at their phone for the time, with its digital time display, and they'll likely do the same thing.
Old 03-11-16, 04:58 PM
thequickad
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexus should just make the clock modular and offer their customer a choice "Analog" or "Digital". I prefer digital clock because it is easier to read. Also the analog clocks in the lower price Lexus models look really cheaply made.

Better yet, use an android clock so you can just touch a button to make it digital or analog on command.
Old 03-11-16, 05:57 PM
tomtom74
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by thequickad
Lexus should just make the clock modular and offer their customer a choice "Analog" or "Digital". I prefer digital clock because it is easier to read. Also the analog clocks in the lower price Lexus models look really cheaply made.

Better yet, use an android clock so you can just touch a button to make it digital or analog on command.
I don't know about base RX but F-sports has Analog and Digital clock.
Old 03-11-16, 07:21 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

It's better than the green digital clock that was standard for such a long time. But, I agree with other options that it is too hard to read and thus pretty useless. A small OLED screen that can be changed to display time, weather, compass, or even a picture would be pretty sweet. OLED is stunning. I am pleased that Apple will be adopting it in the future iPhone.
Old 03-12-16, 04:16 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
Seriously? I have tint all around except for the windshield. You forgot to tell me not to ever open the sunroof either.
Glare would only be temporary and a ridiculous excuse to not have the analog clock. Some people prefer analog to digital and if it bothers one that bad put some duct tape on it
Old 03-12-16, 10:10 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

I, like many others, like the analog clock and hope Lexus keeps using it. It adds a bit of extra class to the interior by having a nice timepiece in the middle of the dash rather than just a digital display, which isn't luxurious. You don't see many luxury timepieces using digital...

For those complaining how long it takes to read...come on that's something you learned in elementary school, and if it takes longer it would literally be milliseconds difference. Plus if you want digital time, you can look at your instrument cluster.
Old 03-12-16, 08:39 PM
thequickad
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And some people prefer digital to analog because you have a high-tech cockpit but an outdated (and cheap looking) analog clock. Lexus should use high tech displays and make the clock customizable on command. Plus Millennials don't know how to read analog clocks.
Old 03-12-16, 10:39 PM
dfc350
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

When you cross time zone boundaries, it's kind of cool to watch the hands roll forward/back on their own.
Old 03-13-16, 04:07 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by thequickad
And some people prefer digital to analog because you have a high-tech cockpit but an outdated (and cheap looking) analog clock. Lexus should use high tech displays and make the clock customizable on command. Plus Millennials don't know how to read analog clocks.
Maybe they can learn to read the analog clock if one is provided.
Old 03-13-16, 04:50 AM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by 1NICESC430

We're obsessed with being time accurate. You can't say "a little after three" we must say "three oh six" Hence the second glance.

I don't wear a watch. So many devices display time, a watch not needed.

Regarding Lexus analog clock, can't see the hands most of the time.
Old 03-13-16, 06:51 PM
john221us
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dfc350
When you cross time zone boundaries, it's kind of cool to watch the hands roll forward/back on their own.
Yes, it was fun today when I changed it for daylight savings time, watching it spin.
Old 03-14-16, 01:35 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

I will have to admit that I look at the analog clock more than the digital. Seem my "slightly older" brain is accustomed to consuming time this way, where the younger may be more accustomed to digital. The analog clock takes up little space and for me reflections are irrelevant for the most part.

It is just not a big deal either way and hardly makes or breaks the 4RX.

Last edited by RXOwner; 03-20-16 at 03:11 AM.
Old 03-19-16, 07:58 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dfc350
Just click yes to watch the hands spin. This one on I-40, Texas-New Mexico border.

Analog clock in dash-fullsizerender.jpg

Quick Reply: Analog clock in dash