RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX Best Prices So Far?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-16, 11:31 AM
Vincent05
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cec327
Based on my recent experience with trying to trade my 2013 RX350 with FWD, 19,500 miles, garage kept ,and in mint condition ( $ 48K MSRP) . The KBB didn't mean a thing. The appraiser, check the local prices of similar vehicles, (said the FWD hurt the trade in value) and offered to buy the car for $25K which was even below for a car described a poor condition. KBB was between $28k-$30K.
I always operate under the belief that they want a car at auction prices. Also, there is something that ALWAYS hurts the trade in value of a car. Except of course when you are buying the vehicle, then it's a different story.
I
I saw your deal and contacted them this morning. They want me to come in and says they will beat the deal I was offered. I hope to get a deal like yours then that would kinda offset my trade in a bit. Fingers crossed.
Old 04-22-16, 01:57 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cec327
Based on my recent experience with trying to trade my 2013 RX350 with FWD, 19,500 miles, garage kept ,and in mint condition ( $ 48K MSRP) . The KBB didn't mean a thing. The appraiser, check the local prices of similar vehicles, (said the FWD hurt the trade in value) and offered to buy the car for $25K which was even below for a car described a poor condition. KBB was between $28k-$30K.
I always operate under the belief that they want a car at auction prices. Also, there is something that ALWAYS hurts the trade in value of a car. Except of course when you are buying the vehicle, then it's a different story.
I
Same experience here. I tried to trade-in my immaculate '13 Fsport with 12K miles and received 20% or about $6K less than the KBB trade-in value at two dealers here in the Bay area. There are two reasons: first is the dealer told me that buy the cars at whole-sale price and look at the wholesale market for the going rate for the car. It's ironic they sell you at retail price!
The second value I understand the dealer will try to stick it to you is tax. When you trade in the car you only have to pay the tax on the difference between the trade-in value and the new car's value. For instance, new car value is $50K, trade-in $30K so the tax you pay is on the $20K. The dealer knows this so they decrease this amount from your trade-in value as a courtesy to you I guess.

Last edited by sc400; 04-22-16 at 03:41 PM.
Old 04-22-16, 03:20 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

My advice to those in Vincent05's position.

1) Make spreadsheet. Figure out what your vehicle is worth on the open market. How do you do this?
a) Find what your exact car is selling for on the open market. Preferably at Lexus dealerships only. Take that number and multiply that by .9 to get what the dealer would pay you for your model
b) Take Edmunds value (usually the lowest) and place that on your sheet
c) Get two to three written offers for a simple sale, no trade in etc. CarMax comes to mind as the easiest place
d) This one is the hardest but probably the best indicator at any given time. Dealer Auction Pricing. This is what dealers are paying for similar models.

2) Once your sheet is populated your car lies between all those 4 numbers. Go to dealer and see if you can get such

3) If the dealer is playing hardball, then your options lie with another dealer. Always though figure out your own states individual tax laws. From there figure out your tax burden if you sell the car indepently of your new car transaction vs together. See if its worth it.

Disclaimer: Experience/opinion not actual guaranteed advice
Old 04-22-16, 03:32 PM
Vincent05
Driver

Originally Posted by coolsaber
My advice to those in Vincent05's position.

1) Make spreadsheet. Figure out what your vehicle is worth on the open market. How do you do this?
a) Find what your exact car is selling for on the open market. Preferably at Lexus dealerships only. Take that number and multiply that by .9 to get what the dealer would pay you for your model
b) Take Edmunds value (usually the lowest) and place that on your sheet
c) Get two to three written offers for a simple sale, no trade in etc. CarMax comes to mind as the easiest place
d) This one is the hardest but probably the best indicator at any given time. Dealer Auction Pricing. This is what dealers are paying for similar models.

2) Once your sheet is populated your car lies between all those 4 numbers. Go to dealer and see if you can get such

3) If the dealer is playing hardball, then your options lie with another dealer. Always though figure out your own states individual tax laws. From there figure out your tax burden if you sell the car indepently of your new car transaction vs together. See if its worth it.

Disclaimer: Experience/opinion not actual guaranteed advice
Have a few appointments tomorrow to get my car appraised for a cash sale. One is a Toyota dealer and the other is at Car Sense. Both are thru KBB cash sale.
Old 04-22-16, 04:34 PM
DBXL
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is my understanding in California, that the trade-in has no effect whatsoever on the amount of sales tax that you pay. So in the example above, you would actually pay sales tax on the $50K amount as opposed to paying sales tax just on the $20k ($50k - $30K trade-in).
Old 04-22-16, 05:04 PM
JmanJour
Driver School Candidate

Default Special order placed April 22

Originally Posted by skarface
You can probably get at least $5k off...maybe more. Give it a shot.
Placed a factory order F Sport nearly fully loaded with a local dealer. Paid invoice price with some negotiation.
Old 04-22-16, 05:36 PM
cec327
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sc400
Same experience here. I tried to trade-in my immaculate '13 Fsport with 12K miles and received 20% or about $6K less than the KBB trade-in value at two dealers here in the Bay area. There are two reasons: first is the dealer told me that buy the cars at whole-sale price and look at the wholesale market for the going rate for the car. It's ironic they sell you at retail price!
The second value I understand the dealer will try to stick it to you is tax. When you trade in the car you only have to pay the tax on the difference between the trade-in value and the new car's value. For instance, new car value is $50K, trade-in $30K so the tax you pay is on the $20K. The dealer knows this so they decrease this amount from your trade-in value as a courtesy to you I guess.
Same in MD. $25k x .06% tax rate worth about $1500. Back in the day , most deals were something like this: You get $32K trade and nothing off the sticker or we'll give you $6000 off the sticker and low ball the trade. Doesn't seem to work that way anymore . You make the deal and then the give you wholesale for the car or sell it yourself. Bottom line--cars are and always have been a stone loss. You want a new car, you pay the price of at least that's the way that I look at it.
Old 04-22-16, 05:40 PM
cec327
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent05
I saw your deal and contacted them this morning. They want me to come in and says they will beat the deal I was offered. I hope to get a deal like yours then that would kinda offset my trade in a bit. Fingers crossed.
Hope that you talk to Sam Kim. Also, you will get a good deal. --I thought that 10% off the sticker was pretty good. Hope you can do better than I. Let us know how you did .
Old 04-23-16, 09:16 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by DBXL
It is my understanding in California, that the trade-in has no effect whatsoever on the amount of sales tax that you pay. So in the example above, you would actually pay sales tax on the $50K amount as opposed to paying sales tax just on the $20k ($50k - $30K trade-in).
You are correct - not sure if SC400 was including CA in his post - CA residents pay sales tax on the full sale price on a retail purchase. On a lease, tax is computed on the amount of the monthly base payment.
Old 04-23-16, 03:03 PM
bwsteg
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It all depends on the dealer offering the trade-in offer. Some dealers move cars quicker, etc.

I traded in my 2015 rx350 f sport white/red about a month ago. Only had 1200 miles. I paid $500 over invoice for the RX so about $51,xxx not including taxes, etc. I was able to trade it for $43k. Although I did lose some money, I feel as if it was a good/fair trade.
Old 04-23-16, 03:50 PM
Vincent05
Driver

Done deal at Silver Spring Lexus. Took a hit on my trade in for $24,500. They discounted the RX350 f sport with a MSRP of $60,739 to $55,000 (9.5%), no tax and tag yet. Think I got a good deal, the best deal I was offered before going there was $25,000 for my ES and a discount of $3600 off of a same RX MSRP. Thanks Cec327 for posting your info. Just have to wait for them to bring it in now.

I did not want to go in because of how every dealer promises a great deal and then just offer to beat the price by $500. She kept insisting I come in and would be very happy. They don't talk deals over the phone so I hesitantly went in thinking this was gonna be another of the same saga. Was kinda stunned when she brought out the deal from the manager. Was offered a discount of $5100, I offered to put a deposit down right there if they can do $55000 flat before tax and tag. She took my credit card and offer to the manager and deal was done.

My sales rep was a woman, her name is Alina Dehaney. She is so nice and sweet, even bought us lunch while waiting for the finance department. Top notch dealership in my eyes, wish they were closer to me.

Last edited by Vincent05; 04-23-16 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-23-16, 04:06 PM
cp73
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We got our new RX 350 last night. I love that car. But my wife gets it. Silver/Black interior, with Blind spot, touch free rear door, heated and ventilated seats, 12.3 Navigation, Intuitive parking assist, premium pkg, moonroof, espresso walnut interior, heated walnut steering wheel, cargo cross bars, mats. Sticker was $50,583. Got it for $45,000 plus I had a Lexus certificate from the LA Car show last November for another $1000 off. So final price was $44,000 plus tax and license. I feel this was a great price and I used this board to help me get it. Thanks to everyone who contributes. Live in So OC in California.
Old 04-23-16, 11:01 PM
skarface
Rookie

Originally Posted by cp73
We got our new RX 350 last night. I love that car. But my wife gets it. Silver/Black interior, with Blind spot, touch free rear door, heated and ventilated seats, 12.3 Navigation, Intuitive parking assist, premium pkg, moonroof, espresso walnut interior, heated walnut steering wheel, cargo cross bars, mats. Sticker was $50,583. Got it for $45,000 plus I had a Lexus certificate from the LA Car show last November for another $1000 off. So final price was $44,000 plus tax and license. I feel this was a great price and I used this board to help me get it. Thanks to everyone who contributes. Live in So OC in California.
What was your otd price? Thanks!
Old 04-24-16, 07:14 AM
cp73
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skarface
What was your otd price? Thanks!
Out the door it was $49,118.15. That included $3606.80 sales tax plus $511.35 license and doc fees. I found all the dealers in this area were within a few dollars of each other on the doc fees. That included a $80 doc fee which I know is garbage. You can see the sales tax at 8% was based upon $45080.00. Good question.
Old 04-24-16, 08:21 AM
ChitownK
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by cp73
Out the door it was $49,118.15. That included $3606.80 sales tax plus $511.35 license and doc fees. I found all the dealers in this area were within a few dollars of each other on the doc fees. That included a $80 doc fee which I know is garbage. You can see the sales tax at 8% was based upon $45080.00. Good question.
Awesome deal w/o certificate which was ~11% of msrp and the certificate made it a smoking deal. I could have used one of those on my purchase at the end of March.

Quick Reply: 2016 RX Best Prices So Far?