RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 RX Best Prices So Far?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-16, 08:40 AM
ucla95
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BayAreaRX
I am asking previous buyers if purchasing at invoice with these options is a good buy.
Costco price is $1000 under invoice for what it's worth. Doesn't seem like it's available in all areas tho
Old 02-28-16, 08:50 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Yes. $57,0xx was the offered sale price. Total MSRP is $60,500. Roughly 5.7% off MSRP.

Yes, I built it on several car buying sites to confirm the data before my purchase. I am asking previous buyers if purchasing at invoice with these options is a good buy.
Agree with Bearcat - that's about the average discount right now - although it would be nice to get that $1k under invoice price that ucla95 cites.

Best of luck on your deal.
Old 02-28-16, 09:29 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ucla95
Costco price is $1000 under invoice for what it's worth. Doesn't seem like it's available in all areas tho
Do you know if this applies to 450h too?
Old 02-28-16, 09:30 AM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes. $57,0xx was the offered sale price. Total MSRP is $60,500. Roughly 5.7% off MSRP.

Yes, I built it on several car buying sites to confirm the data before my purchase. I am asking previous buyers if purchasing at invoice with these options is a good buy.
Yes, that would be the probable (customer) invoice price, and a very excellent price at current levels of supply and demand. One thing to beware of though if you have a trade in. Some dealers make up some of the good discount with a low book trade in value. Happened to me, so drove 100 miles to another dealer. Preferred to buy local, but got an extra $2000 for my 2013 RX trade in, which my local dealer wouldn't match. Always good to get another trade in estimate from Carmax or another dealer, as well as the online calculators.
Old 02-28-16, 10:42 AM
ucla95
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearcat
Do you know if this applies to 450h too?
Didn't ask so don't know sry
Old 02-28-16, 11:10 AM
Macs4RX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by go3Ds
...so drove 100 miles to another dealer. Preferred to buy local, but got an extra $2000 for my 2013 RX trade in, which my local dealer wouldn't match. Always good to get another trade in estimate from Carmax or another dealer, as well as the online calculators.
go3Ds - Where do you plan on getting your 450h serviced? At the local dealer or at the dealer where you purchased the vehicle from 100 miles away? Do you anticipate getting any push-back (retribution ) from the local dealer if you bring it there, perhaps denying you a loaner car during servicing? (in other words, for not buying it locally from them)

I'm very interested in your response and other member's as I'm thinking of doing the same (i.e., buying regionally vs. buying locally). I just think I'll have a better opportunity to get the vehicle I want, optioned the way I want, if I expand my search out to 100 miles or so.

Last edited by Macs4RX; 02-28-16 at 11:14 AM. Reason: punctuation correction
Old 02-28-16, 11:33 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Macs4RX
go3Ds - Where do you plan on getting your 450h serviced? At the local dealer or at the dealer where you purchased the vehicle from 100 miles away? Do you anticipate getting any push-back (retribution ) from the local dealer if you bring it there, perhaps denying you a loaner car during servicing? (in other words, for not buying it locally from them)

I'm very interested in your response and other member's as I'm thinking of doing the same (i.e., buying regionally vs. buying locally). I just think I'll have a better opportunity to get the vehicle I want, optioned the way I want, if I expand my search out to 100 miles or so.
We didn't buy our cars from the local dealership and the service department still gives us the same great service that you expect from Lexus. You might miss out on some perks at your local dealer like free car wash at any time. The service department has better things to worry about than where you bought it.
Old 02-28-16, 12:50 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Macs4RX

The local dealer will be where I have service, and they have already welcomed me. Might switch out my other dealer license frame to a plain one though lol.
We have quite a bit of experience not buying locally. Our 2010 RX was shipped via transport from Southern California to Arkansas, and our 2013 RX we also purchased out of state (Texas). Taxes were paid in our home state of Oklahoma, even though our address was just a mailbox. We are retired and have been traveling full time since the 2010 purchase, and have had nothing but great Lexus service experiences at several Lexus dealers in various states around the country. This includes whether having service, or just visiting which I like to do. Have never been denied anything. Would like to have purchased our 2016 locally this time, as we are just recently back to having a real home here in Arizona, but to much variance on my trade in value as the local dealer didn't need another used RX hybrid on his lot. The only thing I will miss are the local dealer events for customers, unless I drive the 100 miles to mine. Also non service car washes, although I have had a few around the country without service if I ask in a round about way. I just soon wash myself now that we have a residence.
Old 02-28-16, 01:10 PM
pdaeng
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The local dealer will be where I have service, and they have already welcomed me. Might switch out my other dealer license frame to a plain one though lol.
We have quite a bit of experience not buying locally. Our 2010 RX was shipped via transport from Southern California to Arkansas, and our 2013 RX we also purchased out of state (Texas). Taxes were paid in our home state of Oklahoma, even though our address was just a mailbox. We are retired and have been traveling full time since the 2010 purchase, and have had nothing but great Lexus service experiences at several Lexus dealers in various states around the country. This includes whether having service, or just visiting which I like to do. Have never been denied anything. Would like to have purchased our 2016 locally this time, as we are just recently back to having a real home here in Arizona, but to much variance on my trade in value as the local dealer didn't need another used RX hybrid on his lot. The only thing I will miss are the local dealer events for customers, unless I drive the 100 miles to mine. Also non service car washes, although I have had a few around the country without service if I ask in a round about way. I just soon wash myself now that we have a residence.
do you have a trade in to deal with if buy remotely?
Old 02-28-16, 03:28 PM
go3Ds
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by pdaeng
do you have a trade in to deal with if buy remotely?
The 2010 RX that we had transported to us from California, we didn't have a trade in, as I sold our Lexus sedan at the time myself. The 2013 RX that we bought in Texas, we were visiting for a few days, got a great price and trade in (Sewell Lexus), so went for it. Both our 2010 and 2013, we then had 30 days to pay the 3 1/4% auto sales tax in Oklahoma on negotiated final sales price, $100 or so registration and $11 title fee. Oklahoma was very easy buying out of state, others may be different.

More complicated now here in Arizona, as it's very beneficial to have a trade in whether buying here or out of state, as the average 8.1% auto tax by city here for new car sales gives credit for any trade in value. The 8.1% tax is based on new car base MSRP before options or negotiating, minus any trade in. Would have to get 8.1% more selling the trade in myself, or selling to Carmax, just to break even. Also, Arizona is 1 of the 14 states using CARB (California Air Resources Board) certifications. Buying from a non certified state, including Oklahoma and Texas, would require an inspection. I decided to buy my 2016 in my new home state of Arizona this time, but still drove the 100 miles for the much better deal. Arizona also has a VLT tax, but that's another story.
Old 02-28-16, 03:31 PM
pdaeng
Driver

The 2010 RX that we had transported to us from California, we didn't have a trade in, as I sold our Lexus sedan at the time myself. The 2013 RX that we bought in Texas, we were visiting for a few days, got a great price and trade in (Sewell Lexus), so went for it. Both our 2010 and 2013, we then had 30 days to pay the 3 1/4% auto sales tax in Oklahoma on negotiated final sales price, $100 or so registration and $11 title fee. Oklahoma was very easy buying out of state, others may be different.

More complicated now here in Arizona, as it's very beneficial to have a trade in whether buying here or out of state, as the average 8.1% auto tax by city here for new car sales gives credit for any trade in value. The 8.1% tax is based on new car base MSRP before options or negotiating, minus any trade in. Would have to get 8.1% more selling the trade in myself, or selling to Carmax, just to break even. Also, Arizona is 1 of the 14 states using CARB (California Air Resources Board) certifications. Buying from a non certified state, including Oklahoma and Texas, would require an inspection. I decided to buy my 2016 in my new home state of Arizona this time, but still drove the 100 miles for the much better deal. Arizona also has a VLT tax, but that's another story.
Thank you very much for the information.
Old 02-28-16, 03:43 PM
pdaeng
Driver

Originally Posted by JosersRX
Hi Vincent,

I am not 100% certain on what the MSRP of my special order will be until it goes into production and a VIN is issued. However, I was able to build a fully loaded F Sport on a non-lexus site (KBB, True-car) and they seem to be coming in at around $64K with all the options that I want. Dealer invoice is about $4K less than MSRP on average on the RX. So, I'll be coming in at around $58-59K when is all said and done or $5K less from MSRP. I'm not sure why some dealers are more greedy than others. Here in Chicago I made a call to two dealers. The first dealer wanted $1000 over invoice. For some people that is a great deal... but as much as I like this car...it is just that-- a car. So, I tried again with a dealer out in the Chicago Suburbs and they didn't even haggle when I asked them directly for invoice price. At this time a week or so had past since I didn't get back to Dealer #1. The sales manager called me to asked why I never went through with the order and I told him that another dealer was willing to go at invoice. Dealer #1 did not want to loose my business and told me to come in and that he will make sure I would leave happy. So, I did and within 15 min they agreed to $1,000 UNDER invoice. Basically $2K less than his deal that he wasn't originally budging from. Here in the Chicago area there are a handful of Lexus dealers and they compete for customers and will not be undersold by the other. I'm not sure how it is where you live. But maybe it will be worth to buy out of state if it means savings $4-5K off the car that you want. It doesn't matter where you buy since you will taxed based on where you live. Good luck with your search and hope you are able to find a dealer that is not so greedy
would you mind to tell me which dealer gave your the best deal?
I do not mind driving to Chicago to meet my old friends and get a new car at the same time.
Old 02-28-16, 06:36 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ucla95
Lexus dealer told me on a 450h it was 2k off msrp.
Old 02-29-16, 06:35 AM
Macs4RX
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

go3Ds & dchar - thanks for your comments regarding buying locally vs. buying regionally. Personally, I don't care about non-service car washes or local dealer events but I would like to have a loaner vehicle offered during servicing if they were to keep the RX for more than an hour, say (assuming I bought the car regionally but had it serviced locally). With the convenience of having the entire inventory of RXs listed on cars.com, I can just wait until I notice the RX optioned the way I prefer and then attempt to make a deal with that dealer wherever they're located.
Old 02-29-16, 12:50 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearcat
Lexus dealer told me on a 450h it was 2k off msrp.
Who can we contact at Costco that will give us the truth? I wonder why Costco makes us fetch it from the potentially-shady dealer?

Quick Reply: 2016 RX Best Prices So Far?