RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

F-sport vs luxury

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-15, 03:40 AM
VinceCL
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I wish they would offer an F-Sport appearance package. I prefer the exterior of the F-Sport but the striped sapele wood is the bees knees (and I am not a fan of the wood steering wheel - wonder if they would trade out an all leather one on a luxury package vehicle?) with the luxury interior much more appealing to me overall (comfy seats and more traditional instrument ).
Old 12-01-15, 05:05 AM
Judged678
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are very few f sports here in the Tri state area. If there is one, seems as if they don't come with the triple beam lights (which I do want). But seems as they all come with the Marc levinson package (which I don't want:

May end up picking up what they have since I don't want to wait 4 months
Old 12-01-15, 10:00 AM
hon3kong
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Judged678
There are very few f sports here in the Tri state area. If there is one, seems as if they don't come with the triple beam lights (which I do want). But seems as they all come with the Marc levinson package (which I don't want:

May end up picking up what they have since I don't want to wait 4 months
You should get luxury if you are driving in NY. Even I felt little bumpy when hitting pot holes with my luxury. Without triple beam LED on f sport will not match the aggressiveness of the grille. Don't forget triple beam also included the sexy super bright LED rear turn signal! I saw one RX with Single beam regular LED yesterday on the street, and it looks like nissan rogue's headlight... I drove to work at night time last week, my coworker stopped me when i was approaching the parking lot. He was attracted by my triple beam and wanted to check out my car. Then he decided to buy one in a few months. He was so impressed with the headlight and 12.3 screen.
Old 12-01-15, 10:53 AM
markrivers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Judged678
So, i'm wondering if anyone has any new insight to the differences and what most prefer.
Want to order the F Sport mainly for the "looks" grill/wheels and seats...not sure if it's worth sacrificing the comfort of the luxury package.
Anyone else having trouble deciding between the two?

test drive both, then make the decision.

we had the same question a few years back F sport vs regular.
my wife went with the regular RX 350 simply for the ride. ( softer)

I don't agree about the " sport" part in the F sport, even on corners.
my RAV4 EV ( well because of the size) is far better cornering and way faster from a stop light. ( thanks to that instant torque ).
and how many times, in your regular daily commute will you hugging corners? if it's everytime, then get a sport sedan. you'll be more satisified.

and when most people say.. I like how the RX drives, they're referring to the softness which is best seen on a 2nd generation RX.. just my opinion.
Old 12-01-15, 11:32 AM
SoKali-RX
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

That use to be true about the previous RX models with FSport since it was just basically an appearance package with a slightly tuned suspension.

The new gen RX has a stiffer suspension, sits lower, has sport tires (Michelin vs. Bridgestone), and has AVS. You can totally tell the difference between the two models as I've test driven both with the dealership telling me to "push" the vehicle.

Reviews have indicated that the FSport model is the one to get since it now rivals the BMW X5. I test drove the X5 before settling with the RX and I can say the reviews are somewhat true. Minus the engine and torque from the turbo inline 6 on the X5, I think the RX FSport handles quite well.

While true you wouldn't get the RX for its handling and cornering, it's nice to know you can have a little fun every once in a while.

Again, it really depends your own personal preference, but the distinction between Luxury and FSport is not as washed up as it use to be. Test drive both and see which one you like. Just an FYI, due to limited quantities on the FSport model, you probably won't be able to test drive one until some time next year.

Originally Posted by markrivers
test drive both, then make the decision.

we had the same question a few years back F sport vs regular.
my wife went with the regular RX 350 simply for the ride. ( softer)

I don't agree about the " sport" part in the F sport, even on corners.
my RAV4 EV ( well because of the size) is far better cornering and way faster from a stop light. ( thanks to that instant torque ).
and how many times, in your regular daily commute will you hugging corners? if it's everytime, then get a sport sedan. you'll be more satisified.

and when most people say.. I like how the RX drives, they're referring to the softness which is best seen on a 2nd generation RX.. just my opinion.

Last edited by SoKali-RX; 12-01-15 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-26-16, 04:38 PM
siwel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually like the F-Sport seats better. I first test drove the regular model (without F-Sport seats), and climbing into the F-Sport cockpit afterward I immediately felt like the seats were closing in on me. And my initial impression was that I didn't like them at all. However, after making a couple of adjustments and driving the F-Sport, I found that I actually preferred the F-Sport seats. They were really comfortable (more so than the non F-Sport seats) and kept me from "sliding around" the cabin. As such, I would suggest you drive both and then decide.
Old 03-27-16, 03:24 AM
RXOwner
Lead Lap

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

As much as I like the more aggressive F-Sport appearance, the seats were a deal breaker for me, plus the fact the dealer did not have a Sport model with anything near the options on my Luxury with the triple headlights.

They do look good.
Old 04-26-16, 03:53 PM
FastFord
Racer

Received 345 Likes on 261 Posts

I originally went to get the Luxury and ended up with a loaded F sport. Love the Luxury except for two things. I preferred the wheels on the F sport and preferred the seats. Wasn't too keen on the grill, but it has grown on me and I'm surprised how many people thinks it looks mean.

The F Sport seats take some getting used to, but they do hold you in well, and are comfortable for long trips. My wife likes them better as apparently I go around turns too quickly!

You have to drive both before deciding cause we're all different shapes and sizes

Either choice is not a compromise and I'm sure you'll be happy with either one.
Old 04-26-16, 09:36 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Wheels on the F sport are the best looking IMO. I am hoping Lexus comes up with a new wheel design in 3 years for the Luxury Package.
Old 04-27-16, 09:51 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 507 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by roblim
Wheels on the F sport are the best looking IMO. I am hoping Lexus comes up with a new wheel design in 3 years for the Luxury Package.

I love the Wheels on mine, just too bad it came with Bridgstone tires on these wheels. They should install Michelin on all F sports IMO.
Old 04-27-16, 11:03 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by toyotaman7
I love the Wheels on mine, just too bad it came with Bridgstone tires on these wheels. They should install Michelin on all F sports IMO.
Ditto - I was expecting the Michelins but received the Bridgestones. Is it possible this is a case of false advertising? Just look at how clear this press release is:

http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...6+lexus+rx.htm
Old 04-27-16, 12:04 PM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

They are saying "available" not "standard"
Old 04-27-16, 01:27 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearcat
They are saying "available" not "standard"
I didn't get a choice in tires and wasn't able to obtain them, so "available" doesn't apply here?
Old 04-27-16, 01:37 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Make sure you test drive both throroughly.

Things to check
1) Seats in the F sport are snug. No power 2nd row
2) Ride Quality with the 20s and of course do you feel a difference with the AVS over the roads where you will be driving it (not the dealership set course)
3) Trim pieces are only one style
4) Intake Noise and overall noise
5) Add your own thing to check

Everything else is basically identical but check out the LSS
Old 08-25-16, 12:43 PM
JosersRX
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Ditto - I was expecting the Michelins but received the Bridgestones. Is it possible this is a case of false advertising? Just look at how clear this press release is:

http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...6+lexus+rx.htm

My F Sport came with Bridgestones... and after one month of riding around on them, I was like: NOPE! Took the car back to the dealer. Told them my previous two RXs have come with Michelins when I bought them new so why it was different this time around? They immediately swapped all four tires (including the wheels) with Michelins Premier Tires no questions asked... The car rides smoother, quieter and city bumps are softer to take. There's just no comparison. Michelin is better.

Quick Reply: F-sport vs luxury