RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Cross-shopping the Volvo XC90 and Audi Q7 -- sell me on the RX

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-15, 01:23 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Q7 vs Rx vs XC90

well if you need a third row, Rx looses
well if you need a drivers car then Q7
well if you need a space utilizing luxury cuv XC90
well if you need a luxury CUV that isnt the best at everything and will be around longer then anything then its the RX

have you considered a GLE, X5, MDX, or upcoming F-Pace
Not strictly true. The new Q7 doesn't handle that well. Wallows in the corners. It's been softened up

RX 450h F Sport has good handling reviews
Old 10-09-15, 05:30 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
Not strictly true. The new Q7 doesn't handle that well. Wallows in the corners. It's been softened up

RX 450h F Sport has good handling reviews
Audi says the new Q7 has lost 700 pounds. Car & Driver in it's test says: "Yes, the new Q7 likes curves. Our test example was equipped with the adaptive air suspension, and we can confirm that it isn't just comfortable, but also that it can deliver a distinctly sporty driving character." Just one mags opinion but you really have to drive each model to see if it meets your needs and expectations.
Old 10-09-15, 05:33 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

RX with AVS might give reason to name the RX F-Sport, but it does not mean it will miraculously give a FWD car with a FWD biased AWD system magically a strategic advantage over a rear wheel biased vehicle. From the reviews by motoman on youtube it seems the F sport differentiates itself from the RX well. The RX is a good comfortable vehicle, but wallows in the corners. With AVS the system controls its but its not game changing.

Its the same story with the XC90's dynamic suspension option as well
Old 10-10-15, 08:31 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Audi says the new Q7 has lost 700 pounds. Car & Driver in it's test says: "Yes, the new Q7 likes curves. Our test example was equipped with the adaptive air suspension, and we can confirm that it isn't just comfortable, but also that it can deliver a distinctly sporty driving character." Just one mags opinion but you really have to drive each model to see if it meets your needs and expectations.
Funny - because the UK reviews say otherwise. Besides, the adaptive air suspension is a £2000 option

Originally Posted by coolsaber
RX with AVS might give reason to name the RX F-Sport, but it does not mean it will miraculously give a FWD car with a FWD biased AWD system magically a strategic advantage over a rear wheel biased vehicle. From the reviews by motoman on youtube it seems the F sport differentiates itself from the RX well. The RX is a good comfortable vehicle, but wallows in the corners. With AVS the system controls its but its not game changing.

Its the same story with the XC90's dynamic suspension option as well
Worth watching some reviews on the new RX450H F-Sport, particularly Alex on Autos and Autonation who claim otherwise - the new RX doesn't wallow as much in the corners as it used to.
Old 10-10-15, 06:16 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
Funny - because the UK reviews say otherwise. Besides, the adaptive air suspension is a £2000 option

Worth watching some reviews on the new RX450H F-Sport, particularly Alex on Autos and Autonation who claim otherwise - the new RX doesn't wallow as much in the corners as it used to.
Again Im not refuting the fact that from the current generation to the new generation RX the stability of the vehicle overall has improved. The engine now has a different contact surface then before (mounted partially direct to the unibody) & AVS setup.

What i`m merely pointing out is that Lexus isnt gunning the RX to offer the precise bank vault like handling of any of its german rivals. Lexus doesn`t need to respond in that market, as it has the CUV market down lock and key with the most popular CUV...

However as the OP is considering an RX to the XC, and the Q7, out of those three the Q7 is the best handling. Its lost alot of weight, and has a different driver biased setup.
Old 10-11-15, 05:53 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

The XC90 looks ultra polished like a fine Swiss watch. The new Q7 is right there too in terms of refinement. The RX appears to be a hair below in this regard just based on pics though, but it is also less expensive comparably equipped. If you NEED a 7-passenger, then skip the RX, otherwise, skip the Europeans and get a standout design and best reliability in the market with the new RX.
Old 10-11-15, 07:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Having not driven a new XC90, new Q7 or the new RX, in this segment right now I think I would probably lean towards the XC90. I really like what Volvo has done with this vehicle inside and out, its unique without being over the top, and from everything I've read the ride and drive is excellent, with a nice dose of that sweedish quirkiness without being over the top.

As for "legendary Lexus service". I've been a Lexus owner for 17 years. By and large, its overrated. It varies widely from dealership to dealership, I consider my dealership good...but they aren't incredible by any means and when it comes down to it they'll leave an owner dissatisfied. I've had my cars damaged and the dealer try and insinuate it was my fault, I've had things promised to me as compensation for shortfalls in service that were never delivered, I've had service issues that took forever to get solved and that I myself had to troubleshoot through them. I've used several dealers around the area, and this one is the best and the most convenient for me. The quality of the "over the top" nature of service has declined tremendously since our first Lexus purchase in 1998. Back then they used to encourage you to use the pick up and drop off service, cars were detailed after servicing, or at least well washed. Now they're run through a tunnel wash and not even dried. No kidding, I give them a clean car and it comes back dirtier after having been washed.

Really, you're going to get comparable service with any luxury brand. I have friends that own them all, and their service experiences are all pretty much exactly like mine. Dealerships are nice, free loaners, good customer service at the surface but beneath the surface when you have an issue...they pretty much don't give a ***** lol.

Thats one of the big reasons why I don't pay for service anymore at the dealer. I don't get any value. So I wouldn't let the "legendary service" enter into your decision.

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-11-15 at 07:46 AM.
Old 10-12-15, 05:10 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by gyrase321
The XC90 looks elegant, but Volvo's reputation for reliability and build quality is inferior to Lexus. The hype over the new XC90 still has to be tested in the real world, especially with Volvo under Chinese ownership. Who knows what corners have been cut to make the car? Lexus is a known quantity. Audi is flashy, the Q7 might be a good car, but I wouldn't plunk down $60K on a car whose manufacturer and dealerships may not be around to service my car in 3 to 4 years.
I don't really see how in our world Audi's overall design language can be considered flashy.

When I heard somebody mention Audi as handsome, I could agree with that but handsome? Nah.

Lexus nowadays can be considered edgy or forward.

To OP,

RX is probably the best bargain, if you're not going to love the front end grille, then it might be wise to get another car that you're going to enjoy looking at. If I were you, I'd buy the XC90 plug-in hybrid.

If it was me making the decision, it would be between the RX and the XC. I'd lean towards the XC just because there would be less of them on the road and for the fact that it is something new and from a company that was trying very hard to impress an industry that is constantly changing. RX would be the best bargain and I would get it any day of the week vs the Audi Q7

Last edited by G Star; 10-12-15 at 05:14 PM.
Old 10-12-15, 05:34 PM
Skip
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo XC 90

I test drove a Volvo XC 90 a couple of weeks ago. Nice car, but, the ride is way too stiff and it is very under powered. It goes fine in 1st gear. When it shifts to 2nd it has nothing unless you keep the revs near red line. The engine just does not have enough cubic inches to make the low end torque for a heavy vehicle used in normal driving. It was a big disappointment. Evin with a turbo or supercharger or whatever they bolt on to it, there is simply not enough low end torque! It feels like my sons sti when it is in too high of gear.

The interior is very nice, if you get the high end models. Just ok on the lower end models.

The ride and lake of low end torque would keep me from ever buying one.
Old 02-15-16, 09:43 AM
ycnibrc
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The main reason I bought a Lexus is the track record of worry free ownership. If I want performance or handling then I will go to BMW or Mercedes but for reliability nothing beat a Lexus or Honda......
Old 02-15-16, 09:53 AM
NRX
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Skip
I test drove a Volvo XC 90 a couple of weeks ago. Nice car, but, the ride is way too stiff and it is very under powered. It goes fine in 1st gear. When it shifts to 2nd it has nothing unless you keep the revs near red line. The engine just does not have enough cubic inches to make the low end torque for a heavy vehicle used in normal driving. It was a big disappointment. Evin with a turbo or supercharger or whatever they bolt on to it, there is simply not enough low end torque! It feels like my sons sti when it is in too high of gear.

The interior is very nice, if you get the high end models. Just ok on the lower end models.

The ride and lake of low end torque would keep me from ever buying one.
Every XC90 review I have read or watched has mentioned that the vehicle has an under-powered engine. I really liked the design and style of the new XC90 (old one wasn't too shabby either ...) but when I saw 4 cylinder I crossed it off my list.

Design wise it's really hard to notice a difference between the old and new Q7. RX on the other hand got a bold new look!
Old 02-15-16, 09:56 AM
NRX
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ycnibrc
The main reason I bought a Lexus is the track record of worry free ownership. If I want performance or handling then I will go to BMW or Mercedes but for reliability nothing beat a Lexus or Honda......
Mercedes? I think you meant Porsche
Old 02-15-16, 10:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Unfortunately I think Volvo's strategy of 4cyl only power is going to keep them from the success they really could have in the US with products as good as these new products are. I have sat in the XC90, its every bit as nice as any entry in this segment...
Old 02-15-16, 02:16 PM
gptgirl
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ycnibrc

I have been shopping for a car for over 6 months now. I have had my RX for the past 12 years and it has been a great car. We will probably keep it. I have test driven the XC90 and I actually have a down payemnt on one that will arrive the beginning of March. The bad thing is, I recently test drove an LX. I then went back and test drove the XC90 again. We were very underwhelmed with the XC90 and quickly noticed a rough ride after having such a smooth, quiet ride in the LX. I believe I can keep the LX for 20 years. I do not know that about the XC90. But, the price! Ugh. I don't know if I can bring myself to spend that much money on a car.
Old 02-15-16, 02:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

An LX as in an LX570? Of course the XC90 is going to disappoint compared to an LX that is nearly twice as expensive.

Quick Reply: Cross-shopping the Volvo XC90 and Audi Q7 -- sell me on the RX