RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Cross-shopping the Volvo XC90 and Audi Q7 -- sell me on the RX

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-16, 06:52 PM
BrickHead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was recently cross-shopping the RX, GX, XC90, and GLE to replace our 2002 LS430. After negotiating with various dealers I decided on leasing the GLE. In my humble opinion, the GLE is simply more luxurous and nicer than the others. However, I would not own a Mercedes or any European brand. Because they are not reliable and are costly to repair. This is the 3rd Mercedes we have leased. When my lease is up in 3 years I hope to buy a 3row crossover SUV from Lexus - if Lexus ever builds one.
Old 02-18-16, 11:25 PM
kwc_diesel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having cross-shopped between 4RX, XC90, X5, I personally think the XC90 has the best interior finish (Inscription model) among these. The XC90 seats are amazingly comfortable (lots of R&D into their safety) and the raw wood finish and Bower Wilkins speakers are superb. The touchscreen center console offers customization on things like individual surround view cameras; I was very impressed with the dealer presentation. I think it's nicer than my 2016 X5 interior and iDrive interface. The 4RX has vastly improved the interior from the 3RX, but I don't like the center stack because of the huge plastic piece where the ***** are and lack of wood anywhere on the dashboard. At least there's aluminum trim. My '03 ES300 has elegant wood paneling on the dash right below driver's eyeline. Also the 4rx rear seat vent controls lack temperature displays. XC90 and X5 have quad zone climate control with rear seat digital display and touch screen control (XC90).
Attached Thumbnails Cross-shopping the Volvo XC90 and Audi Q7 -- sell me on the RX-image.jpeg  
Old 07-06-17, 09:56 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have just ordered a 2017 RX350 Sports Luxury with every package . I tried and got very close on the XC90 but several things ruled it out...the biggest being the engine which is a tiny 4cylinder and sounds like one especially when pushed hard , it sounds really harsh and unrefined ( I have had a loaner RX200t for week and it is way more refined and smoother than the XC90) secondly the giant touchscreen in the XC 90 might look impressive but is a nightmare to use and isn't terribly intuitive . Thirdly whilst the materials might be nice the little details like being able to see under the sides of all the seats made it look cheap and as if they had just been thrown in and bolted down from the parts bin and not designed for the car .
The Q7 is great to drive and the only option here is diesel engine which whilst I'm not usually a fan of diesels works beautifully . However the car looks like a giant fridge lying on its side without any real character and the options list is just ridiculous and to get it specced even close to the Lexus adds 50%to its price here in Australia which means you'll never get it back at resale time and the dealer just kept asking me why id want all those options anyway ?? lol
The RX is just so refined , quiet and smooth not to mention better finished that I couldn't go past it and therefore it is about to become my 3rd RX .
Old 07-07-17, 05:55 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I just had a Volvo dealer bring a new 2018 XC90 to our house to test drive. The drive and ride are similar in the Inscription model vs my 2016 RX F Sport in normal mode. I was almost taken back how mine looks ancient as far as the tech is concerned vs the XC90. It'll be my wife's car as well but I'll drive a lot. Stereo was a huge difference as the standard in the XC90 was actually so good it's hard to believe you can spend $3200 more for their best one. I like the looks of my RX better as it matches me more but then again it's for the wife. Definitely looks classy though. Volvos pricing is kind of annoying as their are about a zillion price points vs Lexus keeps options pretty simple in packages. I feel like I'm looking at a Ford as far as this is concerned. Hard to barter on the Volvo too. Just like Lexus, dome dealers are snobs, some aren't. Volvo has many more luxury options vs the RX such as massaging seats, leather dash, much better seats. I thought my seats were pretty awesome and still do but def not as good confortwise. Still as people say, there is a worry for me about reliability, and that's real. I rarely have had an issue with any of my Lexus over the years and don't want the wife to deal with hassles. I'm still a little torn as the XC retail is almost $75k and my 4RX was only $64k.
Old 07-07-17, 06:04 AM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearcat
I just had a Volvo dealer bring a new 2018 XC90 to our house to test drive. The drive and ride are similar in the Inscription model vs my 2016 RX F Sport in normal mode. I was almost taken back how mine looks ancient as far as the tech is concerned vs the XC90. It'll be my wife's car as well but I'll drive a lot. Stereo was a huge difference as the standard in the XC90 was actually so good it's hard to believe you can spend $3200 more for their best one. I like the looks of my RX better as it matches me more but then again it's for the wife. Definitely looks classy though. Volvos pricing is kind of annoying as their are about a zillion price points vs Lexus keeps options pretty simple in packages. I feel like I'm looking at a Ford as far as this is concerned. Hard to barter on the Volvo too. Just like Lexus, dome dealers are snobs, some aren't. Volvo has many more luxury options vs the RX such as massaging seats, leather dash, much better seats. I thought my seats were pretty awesome and still do but def not as good confortwise. Still as people say, there is a worry for me about reliability, and that's real. I rarely have had an issue with any of my Lexus over the years and don't want the wife to deal with hassles. I'm still a little torn as the XC retail is almost $75k and my 4RX was only $64k.
please tell what tech the Volvo has that the lexus doenst ?? I drove and XC90 for 3 weeks and don't recall there being anything . The screen is so annoying to use and I don't find the seats anywhere near as comfortable as the standard RX luxury seats with the thigh extender. What did you Think of the noise that the four-cylinder engine in the Volvo makes ? So loud and unrefined compare to the Lexus
Old 07-07-17, 06:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

The Volvo has a ton of tech the Lexus doesn't, their infotainment is really modern, Lexus' is ancient. Volvos system is perhaps the best on the market.

I wouldn't even consider an RX compared to an XC90 unfortunately. The engine is a weak point in terms of sound, but as averse as I am to 4cyl engines that doesn't make up for the many other ways the XC90 is superior
Old 07-07-17, 07:34 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by LordBowral
please tell what tech the Volvo has that the lexus doenst ?? I drove and XC90 for 3 weeks and don't recall there being anything . The screen is so annoying to use and I don't find the seats anywhere near as comfortable as the standard RX luxury seats with the thigh extender. What did you Think of the noise that the four-cylinder engine in the Volvo makes ? So loud and unrefined compare to the Lexus
Read the previous post. I agree completely. You are right...I agree the engine is loud from the outside. I loved the screen, and it has flippin' CarPlay (hello Lexus, get rid of Enform) and it is well implemented. I totally think if the interior had a Lexus symbol, people on this board would be bragging it up.
Old 07-07-17, 09:54 AM
FSportWaxy
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The XC90 or Q7 won't turn heads, nor will your wife want to bang you in it.

RX will do both.
Old 07-07-17, 09:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by FSportWaxy
The XC90 or Q7 won't turn heads, nor will your wife want to bang you in it.

RX will do both.
Turning heads is not always a good thing, people don't just turn their heads to look at things they think look good...

And none of these vehicles are the sort of vehicle anybody "will want to bang you in" LOL. Its not a Ferrari.
Old 07-07-17, 10:41 AM
FSportWaxy
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Turning heads is not always a good thing, people don't just turn their heads to look at things they think look good...

And none of these vehicles are the sort of vehicle anybody "will want to bang you in" LOL. Its not a Ferrari.
On the contrary my friend, all depends on whose driving it

Thread is in regards to "selling" someone on the RX, maybe a head turner is a positive aspect about the vehicle which may be important to the OP. It certainly was something I considered when purchasing my RX.
Old 07-07-17, 11:12 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Car purchases are not easy but i`ll try to be as simple.

You need a 7 seater you look at the Q7 and XC90
You need a 5 seater you look at the RX

You plan on keeping the vehicle past the warranty you go RX
You plan on keeping the vehicle under lease skip the RX go Q7 or XC90

Tech, interior appointments, engines (if you hate harshness go q7 over xc90). The RX looks mean but the XC90 and Q7 back it up with pioneering tech that Lexus doesnt offer like infotainment (which is not a knock against them since their product will outlast their other two), massage seats etc. The RX is the safe choice, but I wouldnt say it outdoes or "outbangs" any other offering
Old 07-07-17, 11:18 AM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I really liked the XC90, but couldn't get past the fact it's a four banger with a turbo and supercharger. Can see nothing but issues down the road with that combo. Additionally, the price-point on the XC90 is significantly higher for a similarly equipped vehicle. Finally, check out the SwedeSpeed forums and take a look at all of the gremlins owners are dealing with on the XC90....
Old 07-07-17, 12:25 PM
skiracer
Lead Lap

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by jugdish
I really liked the XC90, but couldn't get past the fact it's a four banger with a turbo and supercharger. Can see nothing but issues down the road with that combo. Additionally, the price-point on the XC90 is significantly higher for a similarly equipped vehicle. Finally, check out the SwedeSpeed forums and take a look at all of the gremlins owners are dealing with on the XC90....
Having a turbo and supercharger sounds great, but its just more things that can potentially break if you plan on keeping the car long term.
Old 07-07-17, 02:59 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by jugdish
I think the main fear one should have are the ebrains in said type of vehicles. Mechanical defects tend to materialize way quicker then a couple years, electronic faults which really break the bank are the ones that take years to manifest and leave a trail of crap in their wake which is exactly what vehicles like the q7 and xc90 heavily rely on to simply unlock a door. Price point, there pushing the limits of what a crossover can do, and not just churning out the most popular CUV on the planet. Tech, appointments those are things Lexus has no clue how to do, since they already have the trim levels and all in one packages system. The forums were a buzz, but you really cannot take a forum post to reflect overall reliability (heck that vibration post is quite many pages long here). Predictions wise I still stand by the RX being the better long term alternative, but short time wise I would lease the XC or Q over the RX anyday
Old 07-07-17, 04:35 PM
yok3dIS
Intermediate

Received 204 Likes on 79 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by FSportWaxy
On the contrary my friend, all depends on whose driving it

Thread is in regards to "selling" someone on the RX, maybe a head turner is a positive aspect about the vehicle which may be important to the OP. It certainly was something I considered when purchasing my RX.
Also purchased it because of its looks. One thing I really like about the RX is that 4-5 years from now, it would still look nice since the design is close to extreme. For me the Q7 looks tame while the XC90 looks like their wagon just raised up. I think it all boils down to your own personal preference. People will sway you either way but in the end, the decision is all up to you. Drive all 3 and see for yourself.

Quick Reply: Cross-shopping the Volvo XC90 and Audi Q7 -- sell me on the RX