RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Cross-shopping the Volvo XC90 and Audi Q7 -- sell me on the RX

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-16, 04:02 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Unfortunately I think Volvo's strategy of 4cyl only power is going to keep them from the success they really could have in the US with products as good as these new products are. I have sat in the XC90, its every bit as nice as any entry in this segment...
I`m not gonna try an convince anyone about the XC90s engine as I feel for me I had the same mindset, but after a test drive I was convinced it was ok, but thats MO.

The issue with this huge risk they took is its paying off though. Its winning awards, causing production shortages and commanding MSRP 6 months after launch. Pretty big home run for them. They seem to be on track to outsell the MDX by almost a month, so we shall see at years end if their gamble really paid off.
Old 02-15-16, 04:25 PM
ucla95
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't the Volvo's 4-cyl have more hp and torque than the RX? I may be wrong on that but I thought it was >300hp.
Old 02-15-16, 04:43 PM
pdaeng
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

XC90 is loud. no where close to RX
Old 02-15-16, 08:02 PM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Volvo drives like a small 4 cylinder pushing a huge body around and the transmission is very jerky ...just doesn't feel sorted to me and I tried all 3 models . the interior is ok but not nearly as good as the pics suggested .
Audi drives nicely but looks like a fridge on wheels and almost exactly the same as the old model . The drivers seat base is so small I felt like I was sliding off the edge all the time . Possibly the worst steering wheel I've ever seen
Old 02-15-16, 08:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I thought the XC90 was every bit as nice inside as the pictures suggest. I haven't driven one yet...
Old 02-15-16, 08:31 PM
pdaeng
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought the XC90 was every bit as nice inside as the pictures suggest. I haven't driven one yet...
go to test drive XC90, then you will change your mind.

very loud engine noise.
Cheap shining plastic everywhere, this is why the interior looks good in picture, but in person, that is another story.
RX's interior quality is light years better than the new XC90
Old 02-15-16, 08:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I haven't driven it, but I have sat in several and I don't agree with you about the interior. IMHO its easily the equal of the new RX.
Old 02-15-16, 09:16 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

I haven't driven it, but I have sat in several and I don't agree with you about the interior. IMHO its easily the equal of the new RX.
I`d have to say the XC90 is got a much a better interior then the RX. Leather dash, open pore wood, almunium trims etc is easily beasts the RX. The XC90 really sets the standard of what a luxury suv could and should be. Only thing working against is the reliability. Dual boosted is what worries me powertrain wise (the transmission is from Aisin), Electronics are SW updateable which is sweet, Leaky Pano roof is another area of concern:

Basically thats the problem with all of the RX competitors: reliability

If lexus lost its foothold in reliability, there would be mass exodus to every other brand, since they offer SOOO MUCH MOREEEE. But short term gains doesn`t equate to long term profits.

Last edited by coolsaber; 02-15-16 at 09:21 PM.
Old 02-15-16, 09:18 PM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
I`d have to say the XC90 is got a much a better interior then the RX. Leather dash, open pore wood, almunium trims etc is easily beasts the RX. The XC90 really sets the standard of what a luxury suv could and should be. Only thing working against is the reliability. Dual boosted is what worries me powertrain wise (the transmission is from Aisin), Electronics are SW updateable which is sweet, Leaky Pano roof is another area of concern:

Basically thats the problem with all of the RX competitors: reliability
Hit the nail on the head.
Old 02-16-16, 06:19 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I'm in the NYC metro area and there's plenty of very nice Audi dealerships with very good professional sales people in my area.Plenty of dealer competition here.
I agree, I'm in the NYC / Long Island area and there a several good Audi dealers that I would compare to MB and Lexus..

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Lexus definitely set the bar for customer service. The other luxury brands have had to step it up in this area. I recently purchased an Audi and a BMW and both experiences were positive in both sales and service. Both at Lexus levels. It's good for the consumer.
I agree with you, Lexus was definitely a "game changer" in regards to customer service.. They took it to a whole other level and a lot of the other brands are still playing catch-up all these years later..
Old 02-16-16, 10:24 PM
Talys1767
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You shouldn't cross-shop these two vehicles. If one is the right car for you, the other probably isn't. One has 2 rows of seats, and the other has 3. The size of vehicle and everything else just makes them too different.

That said, when I went looking for luxury SUVs, I did look at the XC90 (because the Volvo dealership was across the street). Looking at it, my first thought was, "Sweet family camping SUV". When I looked at the RX450h, my first thought was, "Damn, what a beast".

Personally, I would not want a 3-row vehicle for driving around town. I don't like the bulkiness and want a more aggressive-looking vehicle with more tech gadgets. But, that's just me. Some people might want the extra storage in the back or have more kids, or, or, or...
Old 02-17-16, 11:33 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Talys1767
You shouldn't cross-shop these two vehicles. If one is the right car for you, the other probably isn't. One has 2 rows of seats, and the other has 3. The size of vehicle and everything else just makes them too different.

That said, when I went looking for luxury SUVs, I did look at the XC90 (because the Volvo dealership was across the street). Looking at it, my first thought was, "Sweet family camping SUV". When I looked at the RX450h, my first thought was, "Damn, what a beast".

Personally, I would not want a 3-row vehicle for driving around town. I don't like the bulkiness and want a more aggressive-looking vehicle with more tech gadgets. But, that's just me. Some people might want the extra storage in the back or have more kids, or, or, or...
So I`m guessing you did not by an RX, cause its the last vehicle to be described class leader in tech
Old 02-17-16, 12:00 PM
roblim
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

The XC90 interior looks great in pictures, but in person it was a let down. Volvos also don't have a great reputation for reliability. I can't get over how good of a job Lexus did on the interior if the 4G RX. It's beautiful.
Old 02-17-16, 12:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Talys1767
I don't agree. Whether or not the XC90 has three rows and the RX has 2 rows, these vehicles are pretty much direct competitors. Lexus chose not to put a third row in the RX, but that reason was not size. The RX and the XC90 are almost exactly the same size, the 4RX is 192.5" long, the XC90 is 194.9" long. RX starts at $44,250 XC90 starts at $43,950. Hard to make an argument that two midsize luxury SUVs within 2.5 inches in length and $300 in price are not direct competitors.
Old 02-17-16, 12:56 PM
legends92
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by roblim
The XC90 interior looks great in pictures, but in person it was a let down. Volvos also don't have a great reputation for reliability. I can't get over how good of a job Lexus did on the interior if the 4G RX. It's beautiful.
This is the beauty of being a human. I absolutely feel the opposite. I think the XC90 interior is beautiful, plush, and luxurious. My wife and I think the 4G RX is just nice. It's just awesome that we have so many choices.

Last edited by legends92; 02-17-16 at 01:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Cross-shopping the Volvo XC90 and Audi Q7 -- sell me on the RX