RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

Cross-shopping the Volvo XC90 and Audi Q7 -- sell me on the RX

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-15, 11:18 AM
gyrase321
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The XC90 looks elegant, but Volvo's reputation for reliability and build quality is inferior to Lexus. The hype over the new XC90 still has to be tested in the real world, especially with Volvo under Chinese ownership. Who knows what corners have been cut to make the car? Lexus is a known quantity. Audi is flashy, the Q7 might be a good car, but I wouldn't plunk down $60K on a car whose manufacturer and dealerships may not be around to service my car in 3 to 4 years.
Old 10-03-15, 09:06 PM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I had an Audi for almost 8 years. Loved that car. Loved it so much I paid for it twice. I had more money in repair receipts than the purchase price of the car when I finally sold it. I would definitely lease and not buy if you are serious about the Audi. I would also encourage you to review Consumer Reports before you buy any of them and see what current owners think of these vehicles. All three are nice cars but we just liked driving the RX better than the XC90. I don't know the Audi in enough detail to really compare based on features.
Old 10-05-15, 08:26 AM
MaxMcGee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gyrase321
The XC90 looks elegant, but Volvo's reputation for reliability and build quality is inferior to Lexus. The hype over the new XC90 still has to be tested in the real world, especially with Volvo under Chinese ownership. Who knows what corners have been cut to make the car? Lexus is a known quantity. Audi is flashy, the Q7 might be a good car, but I wouldn't plunk down $60K on a car whose manufacturer and dealerships may not be around to service my car in 3 to 4 years.
This is really my dilemma.

I guess if I had to sum up the Lexus, it's "decent but uninspiring". The car looks okay in all views but the front (it seems like it's trying too hard with the edginess thing...but I can live with that. I really hate the new Lexus grille though on a vehicle as big as the RX though). The good news is that the interior seems nice (and you can't see the grille from inside the car). But nothing seems particularly new or revolutionary about the car -- there's no pioneering technology or safety equipment.

Both inside and out, I really like how the XC90 looks and the Q7 also appeals to me. If I were to make my decision on the basis of my heart, I'd go with one of the other two I think. Most probably the Volvo.

But my brain and the logical/practical side of me says, Lexus should be the most reliable of the three options. And that's the primary reason it remains on my list.

I actually prefer the look of the 2015 RX350, and would buy that (especially given current Factory discounts from Lexus), but it's lacking in so many features that the competitors have (e.g., Active Cruise Control, front-collision avoidance, and even simple things like Heated Rear seats) that it's hard for me to take the plunge.

As a side note, it's hard for me to imagine that the German government would be able to find money to prop up Greece and yet wouldn't make the effort to bail out Volkswagen -- the country's largest car company and one of the country's most significant employers. Just like the US gov't wouldn't let GM or Chrysler fail, I can't see the German gov't letting VW go down the tubes. So I'm not worried about VW/Audi not being around in the future.
Old 10-05-15, 08:45 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The '16 RX has way more safety tech than the '15, for sure, but just for reference, the '15 does have available dynamic radar cruise control and pre-collision system (at least in the US, not sure about Canada).

I find the looks of both the Audi and Volvo to be understated classy, but too tame for me. I think the RX is more "in your face" and I like that.
Old 10-05-15, 09:25 AM
MaxMcGee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JDR76
The '16 RX has way more safety tech than the '15, for sure, but just for reference, the '15 does have available dynamic radar cruise control and pre-collision system (at least in the US, not sure about Canada).

I find the looks of both the Audi and Volvo to be understated classy, but too tame for me. I think the RX is more "in your face" and I like that.
Do they have a marketing name they use for these technologies? Maybe I'm just not seeing it or maybe they legitimately aren't available on the Canadian models (the dealer didn't seem to know about them FWIW, but dealers tend to be undereducated on these things).
Old 10-05-15, 09:42 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

For collision avoidance, they use PCS (Pre Collision System). The PCS in the new RX is more advanced than in the current gen, FWIW.

They call the cruise control Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC).
Old 10-05-15, 11:01 AM
MaxMcGee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JDR76
For collision avoidance, they use PCS (Pre Collision System). The PCS in the new RX is more advanced than in the current gen, FWIW.

They call the cruise control Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC).
Really odd. I see what you're talking about on the US website, but no mention on the Canadian website. I'll take this question to the 3rd gen forum.

US: http://www.lexus.com/models/RX/safety

Canada: http://www.lexus.ca/lexus/en/Specifi...s=RX&year=2015
Old 10-05-15, 01:04 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

How about some feature to feature comparison/discussion rather than a discussion of reliability and brand name?

What does the Q7 have that the RX does not and vice-versa? The Q7 has that glorious full screen dash which looks very futuristic. It is also bigger, not sure if the quattro system changed.
Old 10-05-15, 03:30 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
How about some feature to feature comparison/discussion rather than a discussion of reliability and brand name?

What does the Q7 have that the RX does not and vice-versa? The Q7 has that glorious full screen dash which looks very futuristic. It is also bigger, not sure if the quattro system changed.
The Q7:
-more understated look
-bigger/third row available
-standard AWD (Quattro probably makes it handle better than the RX since its rear biased)
-better infotainment system in both hardware and software (better controller, LTE connection, Google maps integration)
-more tech (semi-autonomous driving)
-more power
This article gives a small overview of the many features available:
http://www.digitaltrends.com/car-rev...7-first-drive/

The RX:
-more aggressive, distinctive look
-Lexus legendary service
-easier to use infotainment system
-cheaper
-lower ownership cost
http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_sh...2016-lexus-rx/

Yes, the Q7 has more tech than the RX, but you'll be paying a lot more. The Q7 has pretty much every feature available on the RX. Lexus has kind of fallen behind on developing new tech. If it were my money, I'd buy/lease the RX and only lease the Q7.
Old 10-05-15, 07:11 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Q7 vs Rx vs XC90

well if you need a third row, Rx looses
well if you need a drivers car then Q7
well if you need a space utilizing luxury cuv XC90
well if you need a luxury CUV that isnt the best at everything and will be around longer then anything then its the RX

have you considered a GLE, X5, MDX, or upcoming F-Pace
Old 10-06-15, 07:52 AM
MaxMcGee
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dchar
The Q7:
-more understated look
-bigger/third row available
-standard AWD (Quattro probably makes it handle better than the RX since its rear biased)
-better infotainment system in both hardware and software (better controller, LTE connection, Google maps integration)
-more tech (semi-autonomous driving)
-more power
http://www.digitaltrends.com/car-rev...7-first-drive/

The RX:
-more aggressive, distinctive look
-Lexus legendary service
-easier to use infotainment system
-cheaper
-lower ownership cost
http://www.automobilemag.com/auto_sh...2016-lexus-rx/

Yes, the Q7 has more tech than the RX, but you'll be paying a lot more. The Q7 has pretty much every feature available on the RX. Lexus has kind of fallen behind on developing new tech. If it were my money, I'd buy/lease the RX and only lease the Q7.
Thanks -- I'd add to this also for the Volvo.

+ standard AWD
+ understated/elegant exterior look
+ beautiful, high-quality interior
+ high-powered sensus infotainment with upcoming Apple CarPlay / Android Auto support
+ Ridiculous bevy of safety features
+ nicest/safest seats
+ tons of electronics incl. semi-autonomous driving/parking
- *likely* more expensive than the Lexus (and on par w/ Audi)
- higher depreciation/lower residuals than Lexus (higher lease cost)
- likely higher maintenance costs

If I were able to compare features in isolation, probably the Volvo wins. And I agree with your comment that it feels like Toyota/Lexus are really falling behind the pack when it comes to new features. It feels more like they're letting other manufacturers innovate and then re-packaging stuff into the Lexus a bit later down the road.
Old 10-06-15, 08:07 AM
legends92
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I was in the same boat as OP. 2016 RX 350 or XC90. I ended up with those two for the following reasons:
  • BMW/Audi are more expensive loaded.
  • BMW/Audi are a bit more expensive to repair than an XC90. I planning on keeping the car 8-10 years.
  • 2016 RX350 and XC90 are both new.
  • Acura MDX center console with navigation is absolutely awful and I see so many on the streets.
  • I have owned a Toyota and Honda all my life and it just feels “reliable/long lasting/easier to repair”.

I have twins and never thought much about the importance of a third row. With a two row crossover, I can only fit one extra person. There are many times where we go out and I would like to have my family be in the same car.

I visited a Volvo dealer twice in the past three days. Test drove the car and absolutely loved it. I am very nervous as I have never owned a Volvo before. Reading some of the posts, some folks don’t seem to like the Navigation that much. There is another post about someone who is getting a bunch of error and warnings after having the car for six days.

With that said, I put an order for an XC90 T6 R-Design last night. I cannot wait!
Old 10-06-15, 03:22 PM
Martin321
Driver

Originally Posted by MaxMcGee
Thanks -- I'd add to this also for the Volvo.

+ standard AWD
+ understated/elegant exterior look
+ beautiful, high-quality interior
+ high-powered sensus infotainment with upcoming Apple CarPlay / Android Auto support
+ Ridiculous bevy of safety features
+ nicest/safest seats
+ tons of electronics incl. semi-autonomous driving/parking
- *likely* more expensive than the Lexus (and on par w/ Audi)
- higher depreciation/lower residuals than Lexus (higher lease cost)
- likely higher maintenance costs

If I were able to compare features in isolation, probably the Volvo wins. And I agree with your comment that it feels like Toyota/Lexus are really falling behind the pack when it comes to new features. It feels more like they're letting other manufacturers innovate and then re-packaging stuff into the Lexus a bit later down the road.
How do I know if 16 RX 350 Luxury seats are worse? Worse Navigation infotainment system? Luxury interior...we have not even driven in the 350 just yet. I least not me. Maybe you are comparing the 15 model year.
Old 10-06-15, 04:40 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

1) Navigation is worse then anything but the MDX i suppose.

point being is infotainment is not the strong suit of Lexus. Theyre only getting around to getting a large display for the RX, but sticking with the hated mouse thing. In addition, for reasons best known to Lexus, they will not be adding carplay or android auto in the near future (this was brought up by an engineer I believe).

Basically Lexus is now on par with a BMW 3rd Generation Idrive that was launched with the F30 3 series.
Still no touchpad, no HD Google Maps, no in car wifi, no touchscreen or gesture support.

Again you are correct, how can we judge based on thing we have no access to. But the spec sheets speaks volumes about what this system will be capable of
Old 10-08-15, 09:19 PM
gptgirl
Rookie

Default Response to cross-shopping XC90

[QUOTE=MaxMcGee;9202675]Hi all,

Brand new to the forum.

As the title suggests, I'm looking to buy a new SUV, and have narrowed it down to three models that are all brand new which means I'll have to pre-order something without really knowing that much about it.

Car will primarily be for my wife. We're interested in a smooth and comfortable ride, all the latest safety and comfort technology, a good infotainment system that's easy to use (this is why the Acura MDX isn't on our list any more), and enough space in the rear seat to handle installing and maneuvering two car seats, plus enough room in the "trunk" for strollers, shopping and all kinds of assorted other crap that piles up in SUVs. (5 vs. 7 seats isn't a huge deal for me.)

I've cross-posted this on Swedespeed too, so I'm curious if anyone here has cross-shopped these same vehicles and if so, why they've (conceptually at least) chosen the Lexus.

I am in the same boat as you. We have a child in a booster seat and an infant in a rear facing seat. We have recently moved and because of that, we have family visiting about once a month. Traffic is horrible, so, we would like to buy a third row, that way everyone can go in one car. I own a 2004 Lexus RX 330. I am the second owner and it had 7000 miles when I bought it. I love my car!!! It has 114,000 miles on it and I have no doubt, it would go another 114,000. It is a very reliable car. I have only had to do standard maintenance on it. I want so bad to get another Lexus. I thought I would only buy a Lexus in the future. We test drove a GX and a LX. With my husband as the driver, in his comfortable driving position, our rear facing car seat was jammed into the back of the GX driver seat; that would not work for us. The car seats worked in the LX, but, my husband didn't care for how the third row flipped up on the sides. We drove a Toyota sequoia, the seats were so comfortable, there was so much space; we really liked it, but, it only got 12 MPG and for $60,000, the interior was lacking. We finally drove the XC90 and we both thoroughly enjoyed the ride, the interior and felt like it had enough space. we are on the verge of ordering one, we just haven't done it yet. I have read online that Lexus may have an RX or TX,or whatever they want to name it, with a third row. I only wish I knew,without a doubt, when and if this is definitely happening, b/c I would definitely hold off on the XC90 until I viewed and tried out this car. I know lexus is a great reliable product, and inwouldnlove to get another one, but, right now, the GX and LX just doesn't fit our needs right now. I look forward to see what you choose.

Quick Reply: Cross-shopping the Volvo XC90 and Audi Q7 -- sell me on the RX