RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 Lexus RX vs BMW

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-15, 12:38 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin321
X5 is a totally different animal and most experts don't compare them. They never did. X5 was always faster and better in every way. RX is the boring, slow but luxury type. It will be interesting to see as I am planning to pre order RX4 with an F sports package, but will look at the pricing to determine. The only thing that comes close to German engineering is the GS 350, and it too finished in the last place but gave BMW run for their buck. I hope that RX4 surprises X5 with it's style, performance and reliability.
why are you buying inferior vehicle? It makes little sense to me. If I was you, i would car thats better in every way... As to GS350 finishing last place - NX, IS and GS have won comparos against BMW models they compare to this generation.
Old 02-14-16, 04:51 PM
GSY
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

4RX for me - Quality is equal. Ride is more plush. Style is more unique and pricing is better. X5 is a fantastic vehicle but 4RX just ticks off more on the list for me.
Old 02-15-16, 07:03 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

The superior skid pad and 0-60 will come in handy on track day.

......Oh wait this is the SUV section.
Going back to the coupe forum for that talk.
Old 02-15-16, 11:07 AM
Scott007

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=rayaans;9146714]Looks better than any X5 ever will!

[/QUOTE

I can't get over that beautiful garage door, and that awesome driveway. What kind of concrete is that? I live where it snows so we can't use concrete it will crack will use blacktop.
Old 04-11-16, 10:27 AM
onefastdoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RX vs X5 vs ....

Finally had a chance to drive a Gen 4 RX F Sport as well as a 2016 Volvo XC90, 2015 X5 xdrive35 X-line trim, 2015 X5 xdrive50 M-Sport, and and 2016 X5M. I also currently have a 2014 MDX and have had the last 2 generations of RX350's.
I'll try not to perseverate too much on the exterior aesthetics because, well, my opinion is subjective and doesn't mean much. To each is own.
After owning the Gen 2 & 3 RX, I opted to go with the MDX because I really hated the handling of the RX. Ride quality was great but it felt so sloppy around corner and the MDX just felt more planted. I will say that the RX seems to have a slightly nicer, more luxurious interior than the MDX. After having the MDX for the past 2 years I can say it has been a solid and reliable car but is pretty damn boring inside and out. I do love having the third row though. Anyway, I'm bored with it and want something else.
My drive in the Gen 4 RX F Sport. Didn't like the exterior. Aggressive and very modern I suppose but doesn't look luxurious to me at all. Interior materials were nice. Driving it felt better than I expected given how bad I thought the 3RX handled.
Volvo XC90. This is a Volvo? Wow this is nice. That's what I thought. Looked good both outside and in. The engine was a little buzzy. Made good power but not nearly as smooth as a 6 cylinder. Handling was ok, about on par with the RX. My concerns were high price (like close to $80K here in Southern California) and unknown reliability given it is the first car made under Volvo's new Chinese ownership.
The Bimmers. I've had several (2007 335i, 2008 M3, 2013 750i) but don't think I'm biased because I'm now on my 5th Lexus (just picked up a 2016 ES). The X5 35 X-line trim was ok. Base leather interior is not very nice, kinda coarse. Build quality is great. This did not have the M-sport package but did have optional 20" wheels. Engine is fabulous. BMW's turbo straight six is one hell of an engine. It feels much more powerful than the RX engine and certainly has more torque. Handling was ok. Ride is a bit rough but it did feel more planted than the RX.
The X5 50 M-Sport was a beast. Ok, not fair to compare acceleration with this engine so I won't. Handling though was a huge step up. It corners flat like it's on rails. It was unbelievable, until I drove the X5M. Ok, I know we are talking north of $100K here but it is the same chassis. What can I say. Acceleration was stupid fast as expected, not as fast as my GT-R but definitely faster than my M3. The more impressive part was the handling. I think it had more cornering grip than my M3 did. I'm not kidding. Other than the high seating position, it felt every bit as good if not better than my M3. Handling was very similar to the 5.0 M sport. These were cars owned by my friends so we really ripped around in them. I almost forgot the interior. The highest option leather trim is fantastic in the X5.
So to summarize, if you want comfy and luxurious with some sportiness I'd say XC90 or RX. The XC90 was nicer than the RX but a hell of a lot more expensive. If you want the best handling go with an X5 M-sport package. It feels like it handles 1000x better than the F sport in aggressive driving.
Old 04-12-16, 10:02 AM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll admit I would take a X5 over 4RX any day. 4RX handling is never much to write home about, even the F sport. If comfort and nice toys is your thing, then RX is your car.
Old 04-12-16, 01:44 PM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What kind of wazzock buys an SUV for handling though? If they were going for handling they'd be going for a Porsche Cayenne not a BMW X5
Old 04-12-16, 02:17 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
What kind of wazzock buys an SUV for handling though? If they were going for handling they'd be going for a Porsche Cayenne not a BMW X5
Just go back like 2 pages where you and fellow poster went at it over the X5. In addition, why is Lexus trying then so hard to compare the new generation 4th gen over an X5, with the introduction of AVS and also an F sport model. Theres got to be more to compare then just the roundel and the comfort of its seats, especially in a slalom..

Bottom line is, there is a market for dynamically able CUVs and the X5 is one of them. You can make the case that its stupid, but that is not the case. I have seen this same case about how buying a dyanamic SUV is stupid being made at almost every luxury FWD platform there is, from the XC90 forums down to The MDX forums. Cayenne is the pack leader, but the X5 is nothing to write off especially compared to its FWD platform rivals

Last edited by coolsaber; 04-12-16 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-12-16, 04:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Neither the RX or the X5 is really an SUV. They're crossovers and because there is such a thing as a Porsche Cayenne, clearly people do care about handling.
Old 04-12-16, 05:57 PM
sirtiger
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Neither the RX or the X5 is really an SUV. They're crossovers and because there is such a thing as a Porsche Cayenne, clearly people do care about handling.
Great point. The GX and the Lancruiser/LX is a real SUV......but 99% of buyers turn them into trophy mall crawlers.
Old 04-13-16, 11:47 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by sirtiger
Great point. The GX and the Lancruiser/LX is a real SUV......but 99% of buyers turn them into trophy mall crawlers.
Same thing with the Cayennes too. Husband owns a Porsche, so of course he buys his wife a Porsche SUV. Nothing to do with performance at all.

This is the gap between fantasy and reality.
Old 04-13-16, 07:43 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rayaans
This wazzock loves his S5 Coupe but needs more seating and hauling space, so that is why I will be looking for an SUV with great handling... most likely an Audi SQ5. I hope you can comprehend that.
Old 04-18-16, 05:24 PM
cec327
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sirtiger
I'll admit I would take a X5 over 4RX any day. 4RX handling is never much to write home about, even the F sport. If comfort and nice toys is your thing, then RX is your car.
I disagree with your assessment of the RX350's handling capabilities. Here is a video of me driving the rx 350.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0018f9cba5736
Old 04-18-16, 06:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

A FWD transverse platform vehicle is only so capable. In the end something like an X5 will trump it every time.
Old 04-18-16, 06:20 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by cec327
I disagree with your assessment of the RX350's handling capabilities. Here is a video of me driving the rx 350.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0018f9cba5736
?????

What the heck is that?

Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus RX vs BMW