RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 Lexus RX vs BMW

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-15, 06:16 AM
need2boost
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rx350 is great, but doesnt really compare to the X5. A loaded out x5 is looking in the range of 75+k. It drives extremely well. Mainenance plan is great. I would compare the cadillac srx to the rx350.
Old 06-21-15, 10:30 AM
Rockville
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Driving dynamics for SUVs

I have really enjoyed this discussion about drivetrain layouts vs. handling characteristics. A lot could depend on the conditions you are driving in. Take a great handling RWD sport sedan like a BMW equipped with low profile performance tires and put it on ice and you are not going anywhere soon. AWD launches better no matter the layout. SUV's are supposed to be able to go in snow etc. so unless you live in a sunny hot locale like Southern California the AWD is an advantage.

Taking the SUV into a turn at speed will test the design. Will it exhibit under steer and plow towards the sidelines? The Lexus RX uses a double wishbone rear that tracks very well. In the '15 F Sport or hybrid it can handle icy conditions by utilizing its Vehicle dynamics integrated management system which reacts so quickly you don't get a chance plow or oversteer.

The direct injection 3.5 will jump another 30 HP so they needed to stiffen the chassis which is two inches longer wheelbase. It will use Regular gas which is huge. The F Sport will offer a sport plus mode electronic damping of the suspension for the first time. It should give the Bimmer a run for its money. The mission for an SUV is normal driving with some off road occasionally and not on the track. Save that for the M4 vs. RC-F discussion.
Old 06-24-15, 08:13 AM
Neoxagon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
If you're leasing or staying within the warranty, none of this matters. BMW also includes all scheduled maintenance within the warranty period, which is very attractive for a lease.

This unfortunately I can no longer agree with. The new X5 exudes quality from every panel. It blows the 3RX out of the water in that department, and gives my LS a run for its money. The leather, for instance in the X5 is better than the leather in my LS. I have a friend with an X5 with the nappa package and the leather dash...the interior is incredible, the highest quality leather I've ever seen on something south of $100k. Paint quality is great, exterior trim quality is great.

I would not even put the 3RX and the X5 in the same league. We'll see about the 4RX.
BMW has always had better leather than Lexus....historically. And I'm not sure why this is still the case?
Old 06-24-15, 08:08 PM
need2boost
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bmw offer a variety of options for leather....so it will greatly varies...
Old 08-11-15, 06:00 PM
jugdish
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Had to chime in here as I was waiting for the 2016 RX for a while, but once I saw the pics of the production model...... I bought an X5.

I went with the 2015 BMW X5 35d, and couldn't be happier. All in I paid $63k for a car that MSRP'd close to $70k. I have just over 3k miles and am averaging 29 mpg in city driving and 33 mpg hwy. It blows me away when I fill up and the computer says 710 miles to empty.

I've owned 2 GX470's over the years and sold both with about 120k miles on them. Both of them were excellent, reliable vehicles, but were not without annoying issues (such as the drive train clunk and other mechanical issues that were deemed "normal" by Lexus). I won't argue that BMW doesn't hold up in terms of reliability, however, BMW drivers, I'm finding, drive far more aggressively then Lexus drivers, which puts much more strain on the vehicle overall. A common theme I find on the BMW boards is "Drive it like you stole it." I don't treat my vehicles like toys.....

That being said, the 2015 X5 is the nicest vehicle I've ever owned. The fit and finish both inside and out are the best I've ever seen, and better then both of my previous GX's. I have the nappa leather with the leather dash, and it's amazingly beautiful. Additionally, I much prefer the styling of the X5 over the redesigned RX.

At the end of the day, it comes down to taste, and I really don't care for the route that Lexus is taking with it's current crop of vehicles. I never thought I'd buy a BMW, but after test driving the X5, I was sold. After removing the run-flat tires that come standard on the X5 and replacing with non-run flats, the ride quality is close to Lexus like, but the handling is far superior.

I'm guessing that a well equipped 2016 RX hybrid will MSRP well north of $60k (considering the current RX hybrid loaded MSRP's at $62k).... Additionally, there likely will be no discounts for quite some time. So for me, it was a no brainer....

My advice is, before you cross BMW off of your short list, go drive one, then make an educated decision. I bought rather as opposed to leasing, and got the 5 year 100k warranty for $3100. If you put less then 15k miles per year on your vehicles, nobody offers more competitive lease deals then BMW.

Last edited by jugdish; 08-11-15 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-12-15, 03:37 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks better than any X5 ever will!

Old 08-12-15, 07:03 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Again...looks are subjective. I think the new X5 is a very good looking vehicle, and I actually don't care for those pictures of the RX at all. I like the new RX, but in a darker color. I would have zero interest in the car photographed above.
Old 09-19-15, 04:12 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Just got back from vacation in California and while i was there I got to rent a BMW X5. I am very impressed by how smooth and good handling this SUV has. The rental I got was the Luxury Line with half of the options offered. Mostly comfort options like heated cooled seats and Navigation. If I was in the market for a suv of this size, the X5 will be on top of my short list including the new 4RX.
And the power from its twin scroll turbo is addictive very litte turbo lag. Way better than the BMW 535 i test drove 3 years ago that had very bad turbo lag.
The only thing that might keep me from buying an X5 will be future reliability.
Old 09-19-15, 12:23 PM
Martin321
Driver

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
Just got back from vacation in California and while i was there I got to rent a BMW X5. I am very impressed by how smooth and good handling this SUV has. The rental I got was the Luxury Line with half of the options offered. Mostly comfort options like heated cooled seats and Navigation. If I was in the market for a suv of this size, the X5 will be on top of my short list including the new 4RX.
And the power from its twin scroll turbo is addictive very litte turbo lag. Way better than the BMW 535 i test drove 3 years ago that had very bad turbo lag.
The only thing that might keep me from buying an X5 will be future reliability.
The turbo lag was in 11 and 12 year models, it was fixed with a software update.
Old 09-19-15, 12:27 PM
Martin321
Driver

Lexus is Luxury, comfort and styling. Why are people comparing X5 to RX4. X5 is a SAV. Yes, the reliability is an issue when you have turbos and its cooling systems installed. Many more things can go wrong with that engine then with the V6 engine that Lexus has had been using for many years and just fine tuning it year after year.
Old 09-19-15, 05:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin321
Why are people comparing X5 to RX4. X5 is a SAV.
Because they are very comparable vehicles.

What is an "SAV"? Thats just marketing BS BMW made up. They're both midsized, car based crossover SUVs. The X5 has rear drive architecture while the RX has front drive architecture. The X5 has an available third row, its also more expensive but it has higher available spec and features as well.

Many people cross shop the two.
Old 09-20-15, 12:44 AM
Martin321
Driver

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Because they are very comparable vehicles.

What is an "SAV"? Thats just marketing BS BMW made up. They're both midsized, car based crossover SUVs. The X5 has rear drive architecture while the RX has front drive architecture. The X5 has an available third row, its also more expensive but it has higher available spec and features as well.

Many people cross shop the two.
X5 is a totally different animal and most experts don't compare them. They never did. X5 was always faster and better in every way. RX is the boring, slow but luxury type. It will be interesting to see as I am planning to pre order RX4 with an F sports package, but will look at the pricing to determine. The only thing that comes close to German engineering is the GS 350, and it too finished in the last place but gave BMW run for their buck. I hope that RX4 surprises X5 with it's style, performance and reliability.
Old 09-20-15, 09:09 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts
Default 2016 Lexus RX vs BMW

Originally Posted by Martin321
X5 is a totally different animal and most experts don't compare them. They never did. X5 was always faster and better in every way. RX is the boring, slow but luxury type. It will be interesting to see as I am planning to pre order RX4 with an F sports package, but will look at the pricing to determine. The only thing that comes close to German engineering is the GS 350, and it too finished in the last place but gave BMW run for their buck. I hope that RX4 surprises X5 with it's style, performance and reliability.
I think what Steve is getting at here is that the average buyer shopping for an SUV does not pay attention to sharp handling dynamics, 0-60 times , etc., save for a few of us. Majority of shoppers will cross shop the RX with the X5, GLE, MDX, QX60, etc. All these SUVs are relatively similar in size and it'll boil down to personal preferences to style, driving dynamics, and technology that will influence the shoppers decision.
Old 09-20-15, 07:25 PM
RayoVac
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by yardie876
I think what Steve is getting at here is that the average buyer shopping for an SUV does not pay attention to sharp handling dynamics, 0-60 times , etc., save for a few of us. Majority of shoppers will cross shop the RX with the X5, GLE, MDX, QX60, etc. All these SUVs are relatively similar in size and it'll boil down to personal preferences to style, driving dynamics, and technology that will influence the shoppers decision.
That said, from all the reviews that have come out so far, has anyone really seemed to nail down performance specifics for the RX350 (not the hybrid)? I am very curious to know what the 0-60 realistically is.
Old 09-21-15, 09:59 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RayoVac
That said, from all the reviews that have come out so far, has anyone really seemed to nail down performance specifics for the RX350 (not the hybrid)? I am very curious to know what the 0-60 realistically is.
Alex on Autos got 6.5s for the new RX450h and RX350. See 14 min mark.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/new...eply&p=9190004

A lot of reviews have actually mentioned the RX450H F-Sport is the pick of the bunch if you want a good sporty vehicle. The ride on the F-Sport is apparently much better than the European competitors in their sport guises

Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus RX vs BMW