RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models
View Poll Results: Is the 2016 RX "Classy" ?
YES, Classy!
48.51%
NOT classy and I don't like the styling.
24.68%
NOT classy but I DO like the styling.
26.81%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Am I the only one who thinks the 2016 RX isn't Classy ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-15, 12:09 PM
sc400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
LoL, I wish Lexus paid me to write this. If you read my post i am hardly a professional writer. Lots of bad grammer and miss spelled words. If lexus did hire me either they forgot to write me a check or they hired an ametuer writer. I have been on this forum many years and people here know me well, ask them and they will tell you.

Also despite the Pontiac Aztec being viewed by most people as being a very ugly car, me included, I still see plenty of people buy them and there are plenty of people who like them. And when they post on a Pontiac Forum praising its looks also does not mean Pontiac paid them too. You sur must live in a bubble because you are not open minded.
It's funny. It seems that your previous comments and this response are written by two different persons. The previous comments were well written; this version has lots of spelling errors intentionally thrown in.
Old 09-23-15, 04:21 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by sc400
It's funny. It seems that your previous comments and this response are written by two different persons. The previous comments were well written; this version has lots of spelling errors intentionally thrown in.
So I am assuming you work for BMW as there lead investigative detective. Good you got me! I work for Lexus and I also do superhero work during the night, going by the alias Super Dude. My special power include super human strength and a pulitzer prize winning journalist during the day.

Last edited by AL13NV8D3R; 09-23-15 at 04:24 PM.
Old 09-23-15, 06:19 PM
MrShoop
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy Moly - my wife just sent me a picture of the new RX, and I couldn;t believe it was real it is so ugly. She's had 1 gen 1, 1 gen 2, and 2 gen 3 RXs. Her lease is up early next year and no way are we getting a 2016. That is one of the ugliest cars I have seen in years. And I like the new Lexus styling on other models like the IS, but this is very cheap looking. First thought was Aztek, second Murano - something is way off.

edit: I've been looking at it more, and i think the angular nature of front makes it look out of proportion - too large. And the square back looks bad, and the plastic piece that keeps the rear window chrome from coming together looks cheap. It screams chevrolet to me.

Last edited by MrShoop; 09-23-15 at 06:44 PM.
Old 09-23-15, 07:42 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MrShoop
Holy Moly - my wife just sent me a picture of the new RX, and I couldn;t believe it was real it is so ugly. She's had 1 gen 1, 1 gen 2, and 2 gen 3 RXs. Her lease is up early next year and no way are we getting a 2016. That is one of the ugliest cars I have seen in years. And I like the new Lexus styling on other models like the IS, but this is very cheap looking. First thought was Aztek, second Murano - something is way off.

edit: I've been looking at it more, and i think the angular nature of front makes it look out of proportion - too large. And the square back looks bad, and the plastic piece that keeps the rear window chrome from coming together looks cheap. It screams chevrolet to me.
I believe you and a lot of other people will like it more once seen in person....as I have.
If not, I'll say it again, we'll lose a few but gain a lot more.
Old 09-23-15, 08:18 PM
MrShoop
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ice350
I believe you and a lot of other people will like it more once seen in person....as I have.
If not, I'll say it again, we'll lose a few but gain a lot more.
You might be right - I was watching a video review and thought it looked better than the pictures I have seen. Color may play a part as well as it either accents or hides some of the new visual features like the grill and the black strip through the C pillars.

Unfortunately, we have lean to boring practical white, but that starkly contrasts the grill and black strip splitting the C pillars.

I'm really not sold on the square rear fenders and big tall angular nose, but I'm curious to see it in person and give a test drive.

I'm a little shocked they would go with such radical features for the RX.

Old 09-23-15, 08:23 PM
MrShoop
Driver School Candidate

I think this photo shows what is bugging me most - the front is so much taller and more squared, it redefines the whole proportion of the car, and it almost appears to be a station wagon. I lose the sense of height that it has. But the proportions are off for a station wagon, so I just keep being disconcerted looking at it. Sorry for multiple posts, but this car has evoked a strong response.

Old 09-24-15, 08:09 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Keep looking and keep posting your negativity.
I did the same thing when the 3GS came out. I posted repeated how ugly it was to me. I remember saying it reminded me of that droopy faced dog with the eyes on the side of the face.
Then I ended up having 2, his n hers and thinking it was Lexus second best ever design.
I still think that. The 3GS may be the last design I ever love from Lexus but that doesn't keep me from appreciating the new stuff.

So keep looking at it and be prepared to eat those words. They taste pretty good.
Old 09-24-15, 08:11 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I think this photo shows what is bugging me most - the front is so much taller and more squared, it redefines the whole proportion of the car, and it almost appears to be a station wagon. I lose the sense of height that it has. But the proportions are off for a station wagon, so I just keep being disconcerted looking at it. Sorry for multiple posts, but this car has evoked a strong response.

Like the Venza...
Old 09-24-15, 08:20 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

All crossovers are modern day station wagons. If anyone wants a true SUV there are plenty in the market. Criticizing a station wagon (crossover) for being a station wagon is pointless.
Old 09-24-15, 01:19 PM
MrShoop
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ice350
All crossovers are modern day station wagons. If anyone wants a true SUV there are plenty in the market. Criticizing a station wagon (crossover) for being a station wagon is pointless.
I totally acknowledge that i may get used to it with time. Even from when I saw it yesterday, it is less shocking, though I still think the styling has some fundamental proportion errors, and awkward lines.

But I don't buy the "it IS a crossover" defense. The NX is the crossover, the RX is an SUV that now looks like a crossover.I know the RX is a tall camry, but it has never looked like a bloated station wagon until now.
Old 09-24-15, 07:43 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

I totally acknowledge that i may get used to it with time. Even from when I saw it yesterday, it is less shocking, though I still think the styling has some fundamental proportion errors, and awkward lines.

But I don't buy the "it IS a crossover" defense. The NX is the crossover, the RX is an SUV that now looks like a crossover.I know the RX is a tall camry, but it has never looked like a bloated station wagon until now.
Thats your opinion. It always looked like a station wagon to me. a MOMMY CAR. A car for mature people.
Not any more! I'm gonna keep saying this...we're going to lose a few but we will gain many more.
Old 09-28-15, 10:20 AM
WolfyLS460
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

RX, NX = station wagons
GX, LX = SUV's

Ford Explorer was a true SUV because it got converted into a crossover in 2010. That's messed up.

All Land Rover products are SUV's including the Evoque.

SUV's are not necessarily bigger but they MUST have topnotch off-road capabilities...without which they're crossovers which I would never touch.
Old 09-30-15, 05:39 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

New design language is a calculated risk by Lexus and to be honest, I don't blame them for it. Many companies that refuse to adapt to changing trends end up dying embarrassing deaths. The small niche of preservationists can't save multinational corporations from going out of business.

They're sacrificing some of the preservationists for new buyers while at the same time rewarding loyal buyers that were asking for more daring design.

Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean you represent a majority of current RX owners, Lexus wouldn't do this if they couldn't predict the amount of loss of return buyers for the new RX.

Another thing is most of you guys are only looking at new cars from the photos, which is an angle you don't actually view cars from. Most people view cars from human eye level and most of the show photos are shot from way below human eye level.
Old 09-30-15, 05:41 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfyLS460
RX, NX = station wagons
GX, LX = SUV's

Ford Explorer was a true SUV because it got converted into a crossover in 2010. That's messed up.

All Land Rover products are SUV's including the Evoque.

SUV's are not necessarily bigger but they MUST have topnotch off-road capabilities...without which they're crossovers which I would never touch.

Is "crossover" not in your vocabulary?

We all know what a station wagon is and NX/RX or Benz ML350 is not considered a station wagon.
Old 09-30-15, 07:33 PM
Martin321
Driver

Originally Posted by G Star
Is "crossover" not in your vocabulary?

We all know what a station wagon is and NX/RX or Benz ML350 is not considered a station wagon.
Lexus 350 Sport 2016 is not even close to a station wagon.

Quick Reply: Am I the only one who thinks the 2016 RX isn't Classy ?