RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models
View Poll Results: Is the 2016 RX "Classy" ?
YES, Classy!
48.51%
NOT classy and I don't like the styling.
24.68%
NOT classy but I DO like the styling.
26.81%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Am I the only one who thinks the 2016 RX isn't Classy ?

Old 09-16-15, 12:03 PM
WolfyLS460
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Lexus/Toyota is becoming like Apple, they can sell a manhole cover and their fan boys will buy it.
Old 09-16-15, 12:20 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,602 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfyLS460
Lexus/Toyota is becoming like Apple, they can sell a manhole cover and their fan boys will buy it.
It is possible that people like it even if you don't. I will most likely buy it, but it's not because I'm a fan boy, but because I like it.
Old 09-18-15, 06:52 PM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

That is the most idiotic reply ive heard in a while. Just because a person likes something that you don't does not make them a fanboy. So if I like Flaming hot Cheetos does that make me a Frito/Lays fanboy? Sure there are lots of Lexus models that I do not like, for example I dont like previous generations of the RX. I dont like the GX and the HS. I dont really care for the CT either. But if other people like those cars then more power to them AND I wont call them a fan boy.

My mind is set, I still like the 2016 RX. I will go in next week to see if my Lexus dealer can preorder me one fully loaded. Cant wait!
Old 09-19-15, 06:09 AM
mokeboi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really? Bare plastic wheel arches? I loved my 2014 because it didn't have those. I'd laugh every time I saw a Porsche suv drive by with those! Common, It's supposed to be a LUXURY vehicle, not a Toyota! Plus they've removed the chrome trim along the doors and stuck some kind of wanna be iPad on the dash like all the other car makers. No imagination. I made a promise to myself that I'd never buy a car that has a cheap looking screen stuck to the dash, and will try my hardest to stick to that. I don't hate it though. It does look sportier, although a little busy just like the NX and RC.
Also I have a feeling that they are slowly lowering SUVs to the point that they will just be station wagons that are still called "SUVs". Just like they are slowly using more and more cheap materials to the point they will just be Toyotas called Lexus. Don't see much of a difference from normal to luxury brands nowadays.
Old 09-19-15, 07:09 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mokeboi
Really? Bare plastic wheel arches? I loved my 2014 because it didn't have those. I'd laugh every time I saw a Porsche suv drive by with those! Common, It's supposed to be a LUXURY vehicle, not a Toyota! Plus they've removed the chrome trim along the doors and stuck some kind of wanna be iPad on the dash like all the other car makers. No imagination. I made a promise to myself that I'd never buy a car that has a cheap looking screen stuck to the dash, and will try my hardest to stick to that. I don't hate it though. It does look sportier, although a little busy just like the NX and RC.
Also I have a feeling that they are slowly lowering SUVs to the point that they will just be station wagons that are still called "SUVs". Just like they are slowly using more and more cheap materials to the point they will just be Toyotas called Lexus. Don't see much of a difference from normal to luxury brands nowadays.
Sit in a Highlander. If you still can't tell the difference, I'll give you a free eye exam.
Old 09-19-15, 07:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Originally Posted by mokeboi
I made a promise to myself that I'd never buy a car that has a cheap looking screen stuck to the dash, and will try my hardest to stick to that.
You better keep what you have then.

This is pretty hilarious given that you currently have a 3RX, which is one of the least SUV-ish SUVs on the market (its basically a Toyota Camry station wagon), and a vehicle with IMHO the second worst quality interior in the Lexus lineup (second to the CT). If you could make an argument that any Lexus really is just a "Toyota called a Lexus" its your Lexus. In fact, I think the interior of the current Highlander is significantly higher quality than what is in the 3RX.

This 4RX has better materials, not cheaper materials. Nobody who has reviewed it has said that any materials are a step back from the 3RX. Plastic wheel arches aren't there because they're cheaper, they're there because they make the vehicle look a little more rugged. If anything...adding moldings where there were no moldings at all adds cost...like you said...Porsche has them. They didn't do it to save money.
Old 09-20-15, 07:30 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Originally Posted by SW15LS

This is pretty hilarious given that you currently have a 3RX, which is one of the least SUV-ish SUVs on the market (its basically a Toyota Camry station wagon), and a vehicle with IMHO the second worst quality interior in the Lexus lineup (second to the CT). If you could make an argument that any Lexus really is just a "Toyota called a Lexus" its your Lexus. In fact, I think the interior of the current Highlander is significantly higher quality than what is in the 3RX.

This 4RX has better materials, not cheaper materials. Nobody who has reviewed it has said that any materials are a step back from the 3RX. Plastic wheel arches aren't there because they're cheaper, they're there because they make the vehicle look a little more rugged. If anything...adding moldings where there were no moldings at all adds cost...like you said...Porsche has them. They didn't do it to save money.
You couldn't have said it any better!

I really don't mind the wheel arches because it will help with mud and rock chips if you ever take it off road and its also a styling trend that everybody is currently doing. Everybody seem to like to buy new smart phones because they are more stylish and modern, same thing with cars. To the guy who hates them get used to them because eventually every manufactuer will have them and you would have to continue driving that 3RX until those wheels fall off.
Old 09-20-15, 05:54 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

On Thursday I had the chance to drive the new line of RX350 and RX450h. I'll do the dislikes first. I like ending on a positive.
1. Looks to much like a big NX. Sitting side-by-side, they were hard to tell the difference at times. From a straight on side view, they are definitely easier to distinguish but from front and rear views they look almost the same.
2. Rear space was the same as the last car. I was hoping for more. Front leg room was better though.
3. The 2015 doesn't really have any bad angles but there were a couple of bad angles where the new car didn't look as attractive.
4. Despite the increased power it still felt like you were driving the same old RX, with one exception. I'll explain in the positives.
5. Lastly, didn't like the wheel designs. Like the 2015 wheels better.

1. The look is new and modern. I believe we will lose some customers. But we will gain a lot more. Men who thought it was a "mommy car" will no longer feel that way.
2. The handling shocked me. Especially the F Sport when in Sport plus. I ran the course like I was in a sporty car. They threatened to kick us out if we drove too aggressively. Well, I did it anyway. I was so good at it they couldn't kick me out. I screeched the tires and used the brakes but the car handled waaay better than the 2015.
3. The driver side has more of a cockpit feel. Not like a car but you feel closer to the buttons/*****.
4. The interior feels more high quality although touching it proves it really isn't. But it looks like it is. The F Sport seats are marvelous. Sporty but comfy.
5. The toys. That surround camera is cool as heck. The double-view nav and camera is cool. The lane change and dynamic radar controls are nice features. Especially for cell phone users. The hands-free lift gate function is cool. There are other toys but you get the idea.
6. You don't need the F Sport for the sporty look. They all look sporty.
7. No More Beige Carpet. Hated that.

I'll stop there. Overall, I like it. I do believe we will lose a few older folk who will reject the chiseled look. But we will gain so many more. I am ready to start selling them. No one can say Lexus is boring now. That crap is gone.
Old 09-21-15, 05:32 AM
mokeboi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bearcat
Sit in a Highlander. If you still can't tell the difference, I'll give you a free eye exam.
Never said anything about not being able to tell the difference. Maybe not I that needs that eye exam.
Old 09-21-15, 05:50 AM
mokeboi
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW15LS

First, read. "I loved", past tense. Don't have any more. My point was that SUVs are getting lower. I agree, my 2014 had some cheap interior panels and other things omitted from previous years, not sure of the new one, but the screen looks cheap no matter how you put it. The plastic wheel arches aren't there because they are cheaper? Which do you think is cheaper, painted body metal or bare plastic? They could of at least painted it. I agree it makes it look rugged, also adds protection from chips and door dings, but not sure of anyone that buys Lexus because they want a rugged look. I guarantee you that car manufactures are constantly looking ways to maximize their profits by using cheaper materials. Currently I live in Japan. Up until recently there was no Lexus here. It was all Toyota. The RX equivalent is the Harrier. After they made Lexus its own here they made a new Harrier all its own. That now looks more classy than the RX and has all the bells and whistles.
Old 09-21-15, 07:04 AM
WolfyLS460
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
Add me to the camp of people who thinks this RX is classy and good looking. I am 35 years old and I really like this design compared to the previous generations of the RX. Before this 2016 model I would have never considered any previous generation of the RX because i feel they were bland and very feminine design. I can only see older women ever get excited buying one of the older models. So far I think Lexus hit another home run and this time I will be throwing money at the Lexus salesman to get me into one asap.

I really like the spindle grill. I wish my 2014 Lexus GS has a bigger grill. I remember in the late 90s and mid 2000s every car from every car manufatuer had old bland design with boring interiors. I am grateful that now i am at the age i can afford cars that every car manufactuer is going the radical route and making cars more bold and flashy but still classy. Mercedes, Lexus, Hyundai, Mazda, Volvo and Audi all have vehicles i have considered buying because they have designs that are not bland, well at least not any more. The best part about the New RX is it's interior. And i do agree that the nav screen could have been better intergrated into the dash like the one on my 14 GS. But that is not a deal breaker for me.

Although the rear hatch glass and corners limit visibility and makes the rear interior seem dark. I feel the panorama roof will help lighten up the rear interior a little bit. And finally we get bird view surround monitor. And a real usable HUD unlike the old one on the previous model that looked like an after thought.
I cant wait to get my hands on one. I will be special ordering one with all the bells and whitsle....and boy does this new redesign has alot of tech and gadgets. Can't hardly wait.
how much did Lexus pay you to write this?
Old 09-21-15, 12:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,495 Likes on 1,799 Posts

Why do you assume he's "paid by Lexus" because he likes the car? Look at the poll results, plenty of people like the car.

As for what's cheaper, painted metal or plastic, actually in this application painted metal is. The car goes through the same pair process, the plastic wheel arches are another part that has to be created, and installed which adds to cost.
Old 09-21-15, 08:37 PM
Martin321
Driver

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R View Post
Add me to the camp of people who thinks this RX is classy and good looking. I am 35 years old and I really like this design compared to the previous generations of the RX. Before this 2016 model I would have never considered any previous generation of the RX because i feel they were bland and very feminine design. I can only see older women ever get excited buying one of the older models. So far I think Lexus hit another home run and this time I will be throwing money at the Lexus salesman to get me into one asap.

I really like the spindle grill. I wish my 2014 Lexus GS has a bigger grill. I remember in the late 90s and mid 2000s every car from every car manufatuer had old bland design with boring interiors. I am grateful that now i am at the age i can afford cars that every car manufactuer is going the radical route and making cars more bold and flashy but still classy. Mercedes, Lexus, Hyundai, Mazda, Volvo and Audi all have vehicles i have considered buying because they have designs that are not bland, well at least not any more. The best part about the New RX is it's interior. And i do agree that the nav screen could have been better intergrated into the dash like the one on my 14 GS. But that is not a deal breaker for me.

Although the rear hatch glass and corners limit visibility and makes the rear interior seem dark. I feel the panorama roof will help lighten up the rear interior a little bit. And finally we get bird view surround monitor. And a real usable HUD unlike the old one on the previous model that looked like an after thought.
I cant wait to get my hands on one. I will be special ordering one with all the bells and whitsle....and boy does this new redesign has alot of tech and gadgets. Can't hardly wait.

I am in the same boat as you are. I am 33. I can't wait for this new re design. I am just not sure if I should get the F sports for a little more or a regular one and upgrade that to 20" rims. Interior is spot on and exterior has been radicalized big time. I also want those unique L shaped HID's. I bet every time we hit the road it would definitely put a smile on our faces.
Old 09-22-15, 05:58 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin321
Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R View Post

I am in the same boat as you are. I am 33. I can't wait for this new re design. I am just not sure if I should get the F sports for a little more or a regular one and upgrade that to 20" rims. Interior is spot on and exterior has been radicalized big time. I also want those unique L shaped HID's. I bet every time we hit the road it would definitely put a smile on our faces.
Just as I said, we will lose a few and gain many more newcomers to the RX. I can't wait to get them in the dealership.
Old 09-23-15, 12:32 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

how much did Lexus pay you to write this?
LoL, I wish Lexus paid me to write this. If you read my post i am hardly a professional writer. Lots of bad grammer and miss spelled words. If lexus did hire me either they forgot to write me a check or they hired an ametuer writer. I have been on this forum many years and people here know me well, ask them and they will tell you.

Also despite the Pontiac Aztec being viewed by most people as being a very ugly car, me included, I still see plenty of people buy them and there are plenty of people who like them. And when they post on a Pontiac Forum praising its looks also does not mean Pontiac paid them too. You sur must live in a bubble because you are not open minded.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Am I the only one who thinks the 2016 RX isn't Classy ?