RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-15, 09:14 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

pass through under the console looks like it is still there but much smaller. definitely can't fit a box of tissues like I have currently
Old 04-01-15, 09:15 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Good eye Steve. Thank god they got rid of the Toyota style interior door locks. That was the last remaining styling element that remained too similar with mainstream brand
Old 04-01-15, 10:08 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

You can tell Lexus really wants to bring the RX to battle in a more upscale department with the new interior treatment, the aggressive design and features like the panoramic roof.
Old 04-01-15, 10:27 PM
tdougherty
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by G Star
You can tell Lexus really wants to bring the RX to battle in a more upscale department with the new interior treatment, the aggressive design and features like the panoramic roof.
Interior wise, I understand that. I think it's great, busy, but great. Exterior wise, I can't think of one vehicle that it's remotely competing with. It's on an island of its own. There is nothing that looks like it outside of the Lexus brand. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

What upscale SUV has any of these exterior design elements? I mean, are you really going to attract and an Audi, BMW, MB, or Acura buyer seeking a cross/SUV with a design offering like this? Thoughts?

Last edited by tdougherty; 04-01-15 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-01-15, 10:36 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

This is definetly a mixed bag redesign. The front view is pretty clean, without the strange separated lighting seen on the IS. We are all used to the huge grille, so it's not so shocking here. What will be the achilles heel for this unit is the funky d-pillar. I would have not gone with such an obscure side profile, as the RX buyer is far more conservative. The side profile is flat out extroverted and will likely turn off many traditional buyers. But at least on the flip side, the added style will draw in some new customers not interested in this make before. I call i a wash. And by the way, that front overhang is atrocious. FWD is absolutely no excuse. Most all FWD vehicles do away with such overhang. Even Audi wised up there on most of their models.

Overall, I think it's a decent redo. But it could have been better with a toned down side profile, less front overhang, and a more elegant and luxurious dash.
Old 04-01-15, 11:24 PM
sydneyjz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I'm going against the grain here - but I am not a big fan.

To me, everything about the car is designed purely to show newness and aggression. It's almost like they are protesting too much at the perception that the traditional RX is a 'lady's car.' As a result, there is just too much going on...especially in the F Sport, which reminds me of a car a young guy has been working on in his garage for years, and comes out as a mish mash of hotted up wheels, panels, different colours, textures etc...it's just trying far too hard. Where is the subtelty of design?

I'm a current RX owner and while I agree the car was due for some kind of re-design (even though I love mine), I feel that Lexus is going away from what makes it the top quality brand it is....

There is no doubt the car will sell, and I'm sure it will be reliable and great to drive, but I just think its overdone.

If I was buying afresh now, I'd go the NX. While radical in design, I think that car is a tighter package and has a sense of identity...not sure what this RX is about...

Feel free to flame me for not adding to the euphoria...
Old 04-01-15, 11:37 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by tdougherty
Interior wise, I understand that. I think it's great, busy, but great. Exterior wise, I can't think of one vehicle that it's remotely competing with. It's on an island of its own. There is nothing that looks like it outside of the Lexus brand. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

What upscale SUV has any of these exterior design elements? I mean, are you really going to attract and an Audi, BMW, MB, or Acura buyer seeking a cross/SUV with a design offering like this? Thoughts?
Thats the point! Lexus is trying to be unique and it seems to have worked on you. Its competing with other cross over SUVs from the big premium luxury makers, period. The RX used to be in its own category but now its moving into X5 territory. Even though RX sales destroys X5 sales, with the addition of the third row feature among other things, Lexus wants to move the RX up a little bit.

-Looks bigger, longer, wider
-Has third row option (just like the X5)
-Panoramic roof (like X5, Cayenne, GL)
-More aggressive design
-More luxurious interior and more options
-That front end is just screaming to be put on the 1st place podium

by the way, for all who are curious!

COLOR HEAD UP DISPLAY PICS (don't ask me how I found em)

INSIDE THE FLOATING WINDOW~

MORE OF FLOATING WINDOW AND HUGE REAR MONITORS

Last edited by G Star; 04-02-15 at 12:04 AM.
Old 04-02-15, 12:45 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm..change is hard and normally I can keep an open mind. Now looking at that dash it sort of reminds me of the flat nose type style of BMW which I'm not a fan of. Might have to sit this one out for several generations or just buy me a mint used 2009-10 in the future. Change isn't always for the better.
Old 04-02-15, 12:48 AM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
One item I noticed that will be missed is the convenient driver's side vent cup holder not on the 4RX.

Lol....Love mine!
Old 04-02-15, 01:11 AM
Bearcat
Lead Lap

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for the photos, but the display looks monochromatic vs color. I wonder if nav directions will be built into the HUD as well.

Originally Posted by G Star
Thats the point! Lexus is trying to be unique and it seems to have worked on you. Its competing with other cross over SUVs from the big premium luxury makers, period. The RX used to be in its own category but now its moving into X5 territory. Even though RX sales destroys X5 sales, with the addition of the third row feature among other things, Lexus wants to move the RX up a little bit.

-Looks bigger, longer, wider
-Has third row option (just like the X5)
-Panoramic roof (like X5, Cayenne, GL)
-More aggressive design
-More luxurious interior and more options
-That front end is just screaming to be put on the 1st place podium

by the way, for all who are curious!

COLOR HEAD UP DISPLAY PICS (don't ask me how I found em)

INSIDE THE FLOATING WINDOW~

MORE OF FLOATING WINDOW AND HUGE REAR MONITORS

Old 04-02-15, 03:02 AM
Nick2JZ
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So far i am liking it and i thinks i will like it more in person. Anyway, the back legroom looks pretty roomy from the picture.
Old 04-02-15, 03:32 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow this looks nice (especially the interior)

With that said, I wish for two things:
1) RX-F (like a Lexus version of the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT V8)
2) I hope the next-generation Toyota Land Cruiser and Lexus LX would be this bad-@$$
Old 04-02-15, 03:46 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

just a reminder of 20yr old Lexus LX interior design... Looks like designers went deep into past to pay homage to the first Lexus SUV, thread in car chat reminded me.

Old 04-02-15, 03:57 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

real life pics give a better look, a lot of presence. gotta be seen full size to be appreciated tho:

profile:
http://www.autoguide.com/blog/wp-con...-RX-Live-9.jpg

front 1/3:
http://www.autoguide.com/blog/wp-con...RX-Side-01.JPG

Old 04-02-15, 04:01 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Wow this looks nice (especially the interior)

With that said, I wish for two things:
1) RX-F (like a Lexus version of the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT V8)
2) I hope the next-generation Toyota Land Cruiser and Lexus LX would be this bad-@$$
lets hope so!

No RX-F, Lexus head F guy said that F is reserved for real cars (RWD).

I think 300hp for base RX is more than enough, especially with D4S, they improved torque from bottom up.

Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)