RX - 4th Gen (2016-2022) Discussion topics related to the 2016 and up RX350 and RX450h models

2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-15, 09:28 AM
leej865
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gloom
Possible but unlikely. Look at the Porsche Macan f.x, it doesnt have the enormous front overhang the New RX has. So it absolytely should be possible, but not when the designers are totally incompetent.

Just look at the huge difference!!!
Front wheel drive oriented vehicles ALWAYS have longer frontal overhang...it has to do with weight distribution.
Old 04-01-15, 09:42 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

It has nothing to do With weight distribution, but yes, FWD cars naturally have bigger front overhangs than RWD. But anyway, the Macan is a front Wheel drive oriented vehicle(it's basically an Audi Q5 in Porsche clothing) just as the RX is. So there go's Your point out the window.
This has to do with the new predator design language and crash safety standards more then anything. However the rx is different in that the platform mounts the engine transversely while the q5 is a LF engine (inline placement with permanent awd) so not really an engine issue I suppose
Old 04-01-15, 09:43 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Possible but unlikely. Look at the Porsche Macan f.x, it doesnt have the enormous front overhang the New RX has. So it absolytely should be possible, but not when the designers are totally incompetent.

Designers are constrained by the mechanics behind the it all. A front wheel drive vehicle will always have a larger front overhang frankly because they have to move the engine more forward to accommodate the drive unit/suspension that powers the front wheels. However, even the two previous generations had less front overhang
Old 04-01-15, 09:44 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

So I guess the designers of Lexus should start incorporating Porsche elements since Toyota recently sold Lexus to Porsche?
Old 04-01-15, 09:45 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

But anyway, the Macan is a front Wheel drive oriented vehicle(it's basically an Audi Q5 in Porsche clothing) just as the RX is. So there go's Your point out the window.
The Macan/Q5 are AWD with bias to the rear wheel. If anything, the shorter overhang is due to the engine sitting longitudinally, allowing the transmission to sit further back. The RX has to accommodate the transverse engine and transmission.
Old 04-01-15, 09:54 AM
Kelmin
Driver School Candidate

Is there perhaps enough room for a V8 under the hood now similar to the unit from the RC-F?

I highly doubt that Lexus would ever do this, but it'd be interesting to see them going after the BMW X5M & MB GLE63 AMG or whatever the forth coming model shall be named.

One can only dream.
Old 04-01-15, 09:55 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I think if they tried to mask it, they would do so by slanting the bottom of the bumper upwards, but this would create that famous beak look which people would complain about too
Old 04-01-15, 10:00 AM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

I love it. Much more masculine than the previous one.
Looks like lexus chiseled out all the round edges

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Can't wait to see high res pictures. I love it, it may be my favorite spindle Lexus yet. Proportions look perfect, nothing looks weird, just the right amount of sharpness and yet not over the top. They succeeded at making it look masculine too.

I would buy and drive that vehicle. Never would an RX before.
Same here.
I'm considering the RX now vs. the NX.
I already have a minivan (that will satisfy the 3rd row dilemma with storage space).
Old 04-01-15, 10:20 AM
rayaans
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I love it!!! Got to pack a suitcase full of cash for January 2016 (release date in UK)

Roaar! Look at that face :O

*** looking pretty good too

Interior to die for - Comes with heated outer rear seats, QI charger, 360 degree panoramic camera, full opening panoramic sunroof,

That's some good looking switchgear!

No, instead they should let those incompetent designers go ...

But unfortunately we have to live With this ghastly sorry excuse for a Lexus for many years. That angers me, because I really used to like Lexus.
Maybe you're just too old?! Get yourself a boring BMW or Audi then!
Old 04-01-15, 10:28 AM
viperdoc
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmmm....not sure. some things I like and some I don't.

I do like the overall styling, increase in HP, and adaptive variable suspension- these were the additions/changes I was hoping for. I notice that in the description of the F sport they don't say it comes factory with a firmer suspension, but imply that it comes standard with the variable suspension. Maybe the figured out that most people hated the unadjustable firmer suspension in the current one.

I can't stand the nav screen, though. They spent so much time making the interior of the car flow, and then they stick that ugly thing out of nowhere...just like in the NX. The NX's screen is worse, as it is just a big square in sea of soft flowing lines of the dash.

I also don't like the F sport front end.....too many triangles everywhere. It looks like the front of the stealth bomber.

I like the increase in HP, I just hope it isn't negated by a big weight increase.

I also worry about the seats pictures in the F sport. they look just like the ones in the NX F sport, with those massive side bolsters in the seat bottom that people universally complain about.

In the end, though, the build quality looks much more upscale than the current RX and I will probably end up getting one.....just probably not another F sport if I can order the adaptive suspension in the base model.
Old 04-01-15, 10:29 AM
daveylin
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When is the release date for the US? Lexus is gonna take my money!
Old 04-01-15, 10:32 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Some real life interior pics:

Old 04-01-15, 10:37 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

If the AVS is anything like on the NX (I have it in Canada), it will be a must-have option for me if imdecide to get the RX one day. It makes the NX almost glide over imperfect roads while in Sport S+, tightens the ride and body roll.
Old 04-01-15, 10:41 AM
Bryanmeow
Driver School Candidate

Glad I decided to go with 2013 CPO RX 350 last weekend. (was debating old 5 seater or new 2016 7 seater for the family)
"Dimensionally, the vehicle has grown nearly five inches in length, while the wheelbase has been stretched by some two inches; width and height are within a fraction of their previous figures. The extra length results in enhanced rear-seat room, but Lexus has opted not to wedge in a third row of seats. "
Old 04-01-15, 10:42 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

It finally came to me. The dash layout looked a little familiar...

Quick Reply: 2016 Lexus RX revealed (pics page 35)