RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2010 350 Purchasing Questions

Old 03-27-17, 04:41 PM
rpdIII
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 350 Purchasing Questions

All,

Just joined the forum and hoping to get some insight on a potential purchase. I'm looking at a 2010 RX350 with 101,000miles on it. Two questions: 1) What is a fair price from a used car dealer and it looks to be in pretty good condition? 2) Is there anything I should look out for before buying?

Thanks in advance for your help
Old 03-28-17, 05:49 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

WELCOME to CL!

The price will also be influenced by where you are located regionally, how "loaded" the vehicle is with options, and whether it's FWD or AWD.

For context, I picked up a 2010 RX450h (hybrid version of 350) last August. It's FWD, had 72K miles on it, is not fully loaded, but is also not a basic low-trim model either. The vehicle was in near pristine condition, always a Southern vehicle with absolutely NO rust anywhere, and our purchase price at a BMW dealer was a hair over $22K. If my vehicle had the 101K mileage you're asking about, just the mileage itself would have dropped the price to about $20K.

As for particular things to look for (aside from what you normally look for on any used vehicle, like VIN history, Carfax, engine leaks, evidence of water intrusion, foul odors, etc.), shock leakage is one potential issue, as is whether or not it has the oil cooler and if so, if the cooler hose has been upgraded to the metal line. Have them put the car on a lift for you so you can visually inspect it underneath, or get them to let you take it to your favorite mechanic who knows Lexus vehicles so he can do a more thorough inspection.
Old 03-28-17, 02:03 PM
rpdIII
Driver School Candidate

Thank you!

Thank you for the thorough response. The vehicle is located in Missouri. Its the AWD 350, pretty loaded including tech package, heated and cooled seats, etc.

The rear shocks have already been replaced on it. How do I find out if it has the oil cooler if it is not mentioned on the sellers site?
Old 03-28-17, 02:10 PM
rpdIII
Driver School Candidate

Default Reliability

Also, how much would you worry about reliability with 101k miles? Carfax shows regular oil changes and tire rotation, along with frequent inspections. If we take care of the car and have all maintenance performed, how many miles do you think we could put on it before lots of issues?
Old 03-28-17, 03:22 PM
F250
Lead Lap

I wouldn't worry about the mileage one bit. My personal purchasing guideline is to try to get a minimum of 5 years, and hopefully close to 10 years before I look at reselling, and our mileage (for the RXh) will average roughly 10K per year. I'm actually considering upgrading to a '13 in a couple of years, though, because I like some of the upgrades which it received, but the '13's were beyond my budget when we got the '10. From all the research I did before making my purchase, I don't see any reason to not be able to run upwards of 300K miles on these things.

As for the oil cooler, you will have to look up from underneath the front bumper, close to the passenger side. Find the oil filter, and look to see if there is a metal line with an accordion style expansion segment in each of its two lines (or rubber hose). Here are a couple of links for reference.

Some people will tell you to just look for ventilation slots in front of the front driver side tire's wheel well, and if the ventilation slots are there, you have the "tow package" because those louvers are to help the auxiliary transmission fluid cooler work, and the tow package includes the engine oil cooler. HOWEVER, I know for a fact that this is not always true because our RXh has the ventilation louvers and associated transmission fluid cooler, but does NOT have the engine oil cooler in question. In other words, our vehicle somehow received only part of the "tow package" components while on the assembly line at the factory.

Rubber hose version >>> https://www.google.com/search?q=where+is+my+rx350+oil+cooler&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS720US721&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwipv_7RnPrSAhUIOiYKHTjhBiAQ_AUIBygC&biw=1536&bih=792#imgrc=HOOpTAqf3FViZM:

Upgraded metal line version (pictured to the right of the rubber hose version) >>> https://www.google.com/search?q=where+is+my+rx350+oil+cooler&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS720US721&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwipv_7RnPrSAhUIOiYKHTjhBiAQ_AUIBygC&biw=1536&bih=792#imgrc=gfuMIfhy2gEuqM:
Old 03-31-17, 07:00 AM
Kopavi
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by F250
As for the oil cooler, you will have to look up from underneath the front bumper, close to the passenger side. Find the oil filter, and look to see if there is a metal line with an accordion style expansion segment in each of its two lines (or rubber hose). Here are a couple of links for reference.

Some people will tell you to just look for ventilation slots in front of the front driver side tire's wheel well, and if the ventilation slots are there, you have the "tow package" because those louvers are to help the auxiliary transmission fluid cooler work, and the tow package includes the engine oil cooler. HOWEVER, I know for a fact that this is not always true because our RXh has the ventilation louvers and associated transmission fluid cooler, but does NOT have the engine oil cooler in question. In other words, our vehicle somehow received only part of the "tow package" components while on the assembly line at the factory.
According to the Service Bulletin below, your VIN number will also likely play a role. The VIN on my 2011 RX450H AWD is higher than the VIN production date reflected in the bulletin and apparently not covered. Not sure if Lexus changed the part at that point in production or not.

L-SB-0154-11

Take a look at your oil filter lines as F250 suggests and If you experience the issue contact Lexus Online Support. They will likely provide some assistance to rectify the issue even though all of the vehicles are not outside of the extended 48-month warranty period..
Old 04-02-17, 07:11 PM
rpdIII
Driver School Candidate

Well I ended up buying it. 2010 RX 350 AWD 100k miles for $15,500. Clean service record and rear shocks replace, really good shape other than 1 small hail dent on hood. Has the tech package 1 (I believe).

I think I got a good deal based on my research. Thoughts?
Old 04-02-17, 08:23 PM
salimshah

Received 991 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by rpdIII
Well I ended up buying it. 2010 RX 350 AWD 100k miles for $15,500. Clean service record and rear shocks replace, really good shape other than 1 small hail dent on hood. Has the tech package 1 (I believe).

I think I got a good deal based on my research. Thoughts?
Check out PDR [paintless dent repair] in your area.
Congratulations on your purchase.

You have made the purchase, so why does it matter what others have to say. Enjoy your ride.

Salim
The following users liked this post:
RX10 (10-05-20)
Old 04-03-17, 06:52 AM
F250
Lead Lap

From the very little I know about the vehicle, $15.5K sounds like a reasonably good deal. Still... whether or not is IS a good deal is completely irrelevant at this point. It's yours.

Welcome to the CL RX Club.

I'm not so sure that a hail dent can be resolved by PDR (metal being stretched from the indentation process makes it hard to re-establish a flat surface, especially on the hood), but it might - I've been wrong before. Certainly doesn't cost anything to have them stop by and give you their perspective and a price.
Old 04-03-17, 10:10 AM
rpdIII
Driver School Candidate

As you all have mentioned, whether it was a good deal or not doesn't matter because it's mine now!

The hail dent is really not bad and barely noticeable so I probably wont worry much about it.

Thank you all for your help/suggestions/etc.

Last question: Are there any good threads that sum up features or tips or anything for new buyers? If there isn't anything consolidated, no worries, I can dig.