RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2014 RX350, Transmission growl in reverse when cold

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-17, 09:58 PM
motorhed
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2014 RX350, Transmission growl in reverse when cold

I bought a 2014 Lexus Certified RX350 5 weeks ago. The car had all records presented to me and all services were done early or on time. The car has 37,000 miles on it.
My automotive mechanical experience is well above average. Here is what I am concerned about.
When the car is started first time, cold, and put into reverse to back out of the garage, I hear a growl similar to a noisy power steering pump. I posted my first question here about whether the '14 RX had conventional hydraulic power steering or electric power steering. I was told that the car has electric steering assist. The noise happens without turning the steering wheel so I know it isn't in the steering. It quiets down when I put the car into drive but doesn't quite go away. I can stop the car in these first few minutes and put it back into reverse and hear the growl, pull it into neutral and it quiets down. The trans ALWAYS shifts well. The noise goes away once the car warms up. Not owning a Lexus before, I can't say if this is normal. Closest Lexus dealer is 125 miles away. Lexus of Carlsbad where we bought it is 300 miles away. No leaks, no clunks, just this growl. Any ideas?
I got the 2 year unlimited mileage warranty, plus I bought two more years and have about 10 months from the new car warranty left.
Old 03-02-17, 06:52 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,098 Likes on 937 Posts

Go to a used car lot (there must be CarMax or Toyota dealer closer) and test drive another RX or a Highlander ( same drive train ) to see if they sound the same, I bet they do. It is likely you just have to get used to the new noises of your new to you vehicle.

Or you may need the dealer to check your transmission fluid level, which is a complicated procedure that only a Toyota or Lexus dealer should do.
The following users liked this post:
motorhed (03-02-17)
Old 03-02-17, 05:13 PM
chas410
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a 2015 that I got 5 months ago and have noticed the same thing. But it also don't do it after it warms up. Its a little more of a growl and my Honda pilot was more of a whine. Maybe it's normal but it also makes you want to ask about it
motorhed (03-02-17)
Old 03-02-17, 07:13 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

I had the same issue a few years ago and it turned out to be my accessory belt and one of the pulleys. I couldn't figure why it only happened in reverse, but after replacement the noise was gone. At your mileage I would doubt the transmission needs a fluid change.
motorhed (03-02-17)
Old 03-02-17, 07:42 PM
motorhed
Driver School Candidate

I have done virtually all of my mechanical work, MAJOR and minor on my cars since I started driving in 1968. I bought this one so as to not do any more than an occasional maintenance. I'll get my wife to stay in the car with it in reverse and the brake on and try to pin point where it is coming from.
Old 03-04-17, 05:12 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Since you are still under warranty I would go to a Lexus dealer (preferably the same Lexus dealer) to have it documented and checked out. This way if down the road under your extended warranty you can show this problem was brought up already and nothing was done and now the XYZ or whatever is not working properly.

​​​​​
I don't really hear anything except for the electric regenerative braking system on my RX since it is a hybrid RX450h. Your RX is different. On both of my 2013 RX450h and CT200H got electric power steering.

Incidentally I bought my 2013 RX450h and 2013 CT200h from Carlsbad CA Lexus dealer as well. I take my Lexus vehicles to its sister Lexus dealer in Escondido CA when I'm headed down that way. Always got excellent service at both Lexus locations.

Originally Posted by motorhed
I bought a 2014 Lexus Certified RX350 5 weeks ago. The car had all records presented to me and all services were done early or on time. The car has 37,000 miles on it.
My automotive mechanical experience is well above average. Here is what I am concerned about.
When the car is started first time, cold, and put into reverse to back out of the garage, I hear a growl similar to a noisy power steering pump. I posted my first question here about whether the '14 RX had conventional hydraulic power steering or electric power steering. I was told that the car has electric steering assist. The noise happens without turning the steering wheel so I know it isn't in the steering. It quiets down when I put the car into drive but doesn't quite go away. I can stop the car in these first few minutes and put it back into reverse and hear the growl, pull it into neutral and it quiets down. The trans ALWAYS shifts well. The noise goes away once the car warms up. Not owning a Lexus before, I can't say if this is normal. Closest Lexus dealer is 125 miles away. Lexus of Carlsbad where we bought it is 300 miles away. No leaks, no clunks, just this growl. Any ideas?
I got the 2 year unlimited mileage warranty, plus I bought two more years and have about 10 months from the new car warranty left.
Old 03-04-17, 08:40 AM
motorhed
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I have been waiting for a time to do that. Unfortunately, Carlsbad Lexus is 310 miles, one way, South of me and you have to go through the Hell Hole Los Angeles and Orange county to get there.I was going to take it to either Lexus of Monterey or Lexus of Santa Barbara. Both Monterey and Santa Barbara are 100 miles North or South. Either place, I will have to leave it over night.
Old 03-04-17, 03:33 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Since it is under warranty, whichever Lexus dealer you take it to should provide you with a Lexus loaner at no charge. To be sure, call ahead and make an appointment to have a loaner reserved.

It just sucks you have to spend pretty much whole day each way to do this. Anyway to combine with a routine service? Or you usually do routine service yourself? I just hate to think after all that only to be told "it's all NORMAL". Maybe you can go test drive some RX of the same year at CarMax or some other local dealer with an RX?

Originally Posted by motorhed
Thanks, I have been waiting for a time to do that. Unfortunately, Carlsbad Lexus is 310 miles, one way, South of me and you have to go through the Hell Hole Los Angeles and Orange county to get there.I was going to take it to either Lexus of Monterey or Lexus of Santa Barbara. Both Monterey and Santa Barbara are 100 miles North or South. Either place, I will have to leave it over night.
Old 03-04-17, 03:42 PM
motorhed
Driver School Candidate

Well....I'm not the kind of guy that lets a "SERVICE writer tell me it is just normal. Like you said, they will have to prove it with me with a few used RX350's on the used lot. I have 2 years of "Free" services (Nothing is Free!), so I will incorporate a service in with it too. My wife and I can stay over in Monterey a night as it is a neat place to get away to.