RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Hitch Receiver Plug - Who Uses One? and How?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-17, 06:50 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Hitch Receiver Plug - Who Uses One? and How?

I have never minded having an open 2" receiver on my F250 when I don't have the hitch bar installed, but I don;t like the dirty look of the open receiver on my RXh... it just looks messy and unkempt. Therefore, I bought a brand new Lexus rubber hitch receiver plug as shown in the picture below, and went to install it night before last, but it doesn't fit snugly, just slips right and (and out), and does not protrude deep enough into the receiver for me to use my locking pin to keep it in place. I got the thing for only about $5 on eBay, so I'm not really out that much , but it really irks me to spend ANY money to dress up a vehicle only to have it end like this.

Do any of you use one of these plugs? If so, do you have this same kind of fitment issue, and if you do, how do you keep the plug from just vibrating out of the receiver?

Any insights and practical solutions are welcome.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Hitch Receiver Plug - Who Uses One? and How?-lexus-hitch-receiver-plug.jpg  
Old 02-01-17, 07:02 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,095 Likes on 934 Posts

I used the one from Curt that came with the hitch and have had no issues. They sell such plugs at any auto parts store or Wal-Mart. I have used them on other cars and never had a problem with them falling out. Maybe the one you got was defective. Be sure to clean the hitch hole before installation.
Old 02-01-17, 07:39 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I also use the Curt cover, although mine didn't come with the hitch. I had to buy it separately.

https://www.amazon.com/21728-Rubber-...YXNRX4KXSAYQ2S
Old 02-01-17, 08:28 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Well, I just detailed the car last week, and it's only been driven about 15 miles since. I checked the interior before inserting the plug and it was definitely clean. I'm considering boring two small holes, one on each side, and use some small diameter stainless or brass rod to make a couple of hooks which will protrude further inside and catch in the locking pin hole on each side. In fact, now that I've thought about that concept for a few minutes, that's EXACTLY what I'll do. Sketch below for reference. The hooks are shown by the golden lines.
Attached Thumbnails Hitch Receiver Plug - Who Uses One? and How?-hitch-plug-hooks.jpg  
Old 02-01-17, 08:57 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by F250
Well, I just detailed the car last week, and it's only been driven about 15 miles since. I checked the interior before inserting the plug and it was definitely clean. I'm considering boring two small holes, one on each side, and use some small diameter stainless or brass rod to make a couple of hooks which will protrude further inside and catch in the locking pin hole on each side. In fact, now that I've thought about that concept for a few minutes, that's EXACTLY what I'll do. Sketch below for reference. The hooks are shown by the golden lines.
My genuine Lexus one fit like a glove until I removed it and finally used a trailer for a few trips... Then, it fit back in exactly as you are mentioning.
So, I wrapped about two rounds of hockey tape around its plug and that gave it the snug fit in its hole. Electrical tape would work, too. Do not spend more than 8 seconds on this "problem".
Profit.
Old 02-01-17, 09:32 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

How about sticking a rubber ball inside the cover to expand it?
Old 02-01-17, 10:15 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ColAngus
My genuine Lexus one fit like a glove until I removed it and finally used a trailer for a few trips... Then, it fit back in exactly as you are mentioning.
So, I wrapped about two rounds of hockey tape around its plug and that gave it the snug fit in its hole. Electrical tape would work, too. Do not spend more than 8 seconds on this "problem".
Profit.
I had considered that. Good point. I have towed with this hitch, so I expect it is a slight "stretching" of the square tube's ID which has taken place.

Originally Posted by Marqevans
How about sticking a rubber ball inside the cover to expand it?
Rubber ball? I like the principle, but not the use of a ball. What I can do in 16 seconds, though, is cut a block of HDPE plastic large enough to expand the rubber insert for a tight fit -- I just happen to have a foot-long piece of 4" diameter HDPE "rod" which will be perfect for this! I like the "insert" concept a lot better than the tape because every component gets a snug friction fit with no chance of the tape's adhesive losing it's grip over time.

Yes... a slightly expanded insert will be much better than the hooks I wanted to make.

Thanks guys.
Old 02-01-17, 02:45 PM
lbzya
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My genuine Lexus plug fits like a glove. Common practice for me is to plug these holes when not towing anything. The Lexus, Dmax, CJ5, Subaru, Saturn and even the hitch on the back of the travel trailer RV.
Old 02-01-17, 07:26 PM
Raoul
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I solved this problem for a mere $65.

Brushed aluminum, my wife's initials.
There are countless Pearl RX350s going by but, I can just look at the rear end and tell if it's my wife or not.
Old 02-02-17, 08:05 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Raoul
I solved this problem for a mere $65.

Brushed aluminum, my wife's initials.
There are countless Pearl RX350s going by but, I can just look at the rear end and tell if it's my wife or not.
Look at what? LOL
Old 02-02-17, 11:54 AM
tus
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't have the problem with the plug falling out on my RX, but I did think about putting some joining strips on inside of the plug to extend the holes back far enough to use my locking locking pin.

I just have the feeling I'm gonna come back to the thing one day and find someone decided to take the plug and "put it in a safe place for me" so I don't loose it by having it fall off on the road somewhere.
Old 02-02-17, 08:33 PM
ThChinaman
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've got a Lexus one on mine. +1 for the electrical tape. Needed it on the LX because that one was pretty old but the new one for RX was pretty snug. Five or six years in and it still hasn't vibrated out.
Old 02-03-17, 05:56 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I had considered that. Good point. I have towed with this hitch, so I expect it is a slight "stretching" of the square tube's ID which has taken place.

no chance of the tape's adhesive losing it's grip over time...
The adhesive side is against the plug, not the hole. There is no significant net force on a snug plug to make it want to fall out. I'm not worried about it, at all.
Old 02-03-17, 06:03 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ColAngus
The adhesive side is against the plug, not the hole. There is no significant net force on a snug plug to make it want to fall out. I'm not worried about it, at all.

Knowing that it has actually worked well for you is a plus. I do understand, though, how the tape is wrapped around the plug and where the adhesive interface is located. I also know how electrical tape begins to lose its grip over time, especially when exposed to varying ambient conditions.

I'll also admit that I over-engineer most of what I build or modify.