RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rarely using my RX350

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-17, 02:00 PM
texan4u
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rarely using my RX350

Hello Folks..

Lately I have been travelling a lot for work and I am not getting chance to drive my RX350. Can you please advise if there are any extra stuff I need to do to my lexus if I do not use it for while ..sometimes I donot start my car for 3-4 weeks..
Old 01-30-17, 02:13 PM
NTH
Instructor

Received 128 Likes on 100 Posts

Check tire inflation and hook your battery to a Battery Maintainer.
The following users liked this post:
texan4u (01-31-17)
Old 01-30-17, 03:27 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

True that. As I sometimes leave a car parked several weeks at a time due to my busy traveling schedule.

But if you park it at some public garage/parking lot (I.e., airport), then you really can't plug into a battery maintainer. So I have a heavy duty battery booster pack (the kind the tow trucks use) in the trunk charged up prior to leaving just in case I get a dead battery upon return. Especially at the airport with all that noise and vibration which sometimes will set off the car's alarm and drain out it's battery. Yes, I can call AAA or airport maintenance, but I just want to be ready to go.

Originally Posted by NTH
Check tire inflation and hook your battery to a Battery Maintainer.

Last edited by lexusrus; 01-30-17 at 08:05 PM.
texan4u (01-31-17)
Old 01-30-17, 04:57 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I thought you might be interested in this page from Amazon.
Ohuhu 18V 5W Solar Car Battery Maintainer Charger Solar Panel Bundle with Cigarette Lighter Plug
by Ohuhu Learn more Connect with us © Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. All rights reserved. Amazon, Amazon.com, the Amazon.com logo, and 1-Click are registered trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Amazon.com, 410 Terry Avenue N., Seattle, WA 98109-5210.

Please overlook any inadvertent iPad spelling Auto-Corruptions.
texan4u (01-31-17)
Old 01-30-17, 05:49 PM
texan4u
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you guys for the reply and suggestions..I will def look into tire pr and battery...
when I start my RX after a long period of time , should I idle my engine for few min ( ~ 5 -10 min) before I start driving ?
Old 01-30-17, 06:30 PM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by texan4u
Thank you guys for the reply and suggestions..I will def look into tire pr and battery...
when I start my RX after a long period of time , should I idle my engine for few min ( ~ 5 -10 min) before I start driving ?
No. iMO, don't do anything as 3-4 weeks isn't really that long. Your battery MIGHT not last five years through that, but honestly, that's about it.
I know you like your car but at the end of the day, it's just a thing - a possession. You won't actually end up owning it forever and one day you'll simply get rid of it and that will be that.
Use it and enjoy it without the stress of worrying if you're hurting it and your time with it will be that much more enjoyable!
texan4u (01-31-17)
Old 01-30-17, 08:03 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Yes, I looked into this before.

I park in a garage at the airport so there is little or no direct sun at all. Besides I don't like to "generate electrical charges" when unattended due to risk of fire. It might be perfectly safe and all, but not for me. I have my battery booster pack in the trunk on stand by if my battery goes DOA.

Originally Posted by NateJG
I thought you might be interested in this page from Amazon.
Ohuhu 18V 5W Solar Car Battery Maintainer Charger Solar Panel Bundle with Cigarette Lighter Plug
by Ohuhu Learn more Connect with us © Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. All rights reserved. Amazon, Amazon.com, the Amazon.com logo, and 1-Click are registered trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. Amazon.com, 410 Terry Avenue N., Seattle, WA 98109-5210.

Please overlook any inadvertent iPad spelling Auto-Corruptions.
texan4u (01-31-17)
Old 01-30-17, 08:08 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I agree. Just enjoy the car.

I just want to be prepared just in case when I return and find my car battery is DOA. That's why I carry the battery booster pack in the trunk. This way I can be on schedule and not rely on someone to help me.

This is the battery booster pack I have (mine is an older more heavy duty version, I think). It is somewhat heavy, but excellent.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000J...LxL&ref=plSrch

Originally Posted by ColAngus
No. iMO, don't do anything as 3-4 weeks isn't really that long. Your battery MIGHT not last five years through that, but honestly, that's about it.
I know you like your car but at the end of the day, it's just a thing - a possession. You won't actually end up owning it forever and one day you'll simply get rid of it and that will be that.
Use it and enjoy it without the stress of worrying if you're hurting it and your time with it will be that much more enjoyable!

Last edited by lexusrus; 01-30-17 at 08:23 PM.
texan4u (01-31-17)
Old 01-31-17, 02:42 AM
EA6BMECH
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On the tires, if you ever do get a light, make sure you check the spare. That bit me on my Taco years ago. Going nuts trying to find out it never went out. One more, mice!! Those things can get into all kinds of stuff if you leave it parked. Even over night a mouse found it's way to the vent fan, munched him up in a second. I had to get to work, so the car sat in the sun all day. Had to drive home with the windows open and dying of the smell. Not sure if there is a screen on the Lexus to keep that from happening.
texan4u (01-31-17)
Old 01-31-17, 04:47 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by EA6BMECH
On the tires, if you ever do get a light, make sure you check the spare.
No sensor in the spare. That went away this gen RX along with the full spare.

texan4u, it's not necessary to idle for several minutes. Driving is more important.
texan4u (01-31-17)
Old 02-01-17, 01:58 PM
budwom
Intermediate

Received 194 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by ColAngus
Wise words! Years ago I was sentimental about a Saab I had, and my ace mechanic told me to get over it: "it's just a hunk of metal."
Old 02-02-17, 08:25 AM
tus
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

With the time it takes to drive, find a parking spot, and get to the gate, along with the cost of parking, I would just leave the car at home on a battery tender and take a cab/Uber to/from the airport. [EDIT] Should also add, things may have changed now but 20 years ago when I was travelling more it seemed like 1 in 5 times I left a car in long term parking someone would mess with it.

Even with a jump start pack and having parking services ready to give you a jump if needed, you have to remember deep cycling a car battery is one of the worst things you can do to it. I have several cars that don't get driven for months at a time. Each of them have a battery tender and I have not had any problems. I would have to check the logs, but I think the battery in my 87 Corvette is 10 years old now and still passes the load test every spring. That car sat for 10 months between drives last time and everything worked fine. The GF's Camaro SS sits for at least 4 months a year with a tender and the 7 year old battery in that also tests fine.

My winter daily drivers are lucky to move once every month or two during the summer, although now that I have the 450h this might change. These cars are usually not on a tender, but they get driven a minimum of 80 miles a day, 5 days a week all winter, keeping the battery fully charged all winter. The Hyundai Tucson that the 450h replaced had a battery that was not at 100% but still started the car fine after 7 years.

Just leave the car at home on a tender. You could check all the fluids before starting and take a look around the thing to make sure nothing leaked out before starting it if it makes you feel better.

Last edited by tus; 02-02-17 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-02-17, 02:20 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

I realize what you are saying.

But for me, I run a tight schedule and the airport is not that close (I may fly out of different airports depending on my work). Also Uber does not exist where I work (Uber may exit at some of the major airports, but my destination, NO.). Besides airport parking is reimbursed for me. So I'm just looking for what is most convenient and objective/mission completion with least headaches. If I can get a car battery to last 5 years, I'm happy. Most of my car batteries will need replacing at the 6 year mark.

Originally Posted by tus
With the time it takes to drive, find a parking spot, and get to the gate, along with the cost of parking, I would just leave the car at home on a battery tender and take a cab/Uber to/from the airport. [EDIT] Should also add, things may have changed now but 20 years ago when I was travelling more it seemed like 1 in 5 times I left a car in long term parking someone would mess with it.

Even with a jump start pack and having parking services ready to give you a jump if needed, you have to remember deep cycling a car battery is one of the worst things you can do to it. I have several cars that don't get driven for months at a time. Each of them have a battery tender and I have not had any problems. I would have to check the logs, but I think the battery in my 87 Corvette is 10 years old now and still passes the load test every spring. That car sat for 10 months between drives last time and everything worked fine. The GF's Camaro SS sits for at least 4 months a year with a tender and the 7 year old battery in that also tests fine.

My winter daily drivers are lucky to move once every month or two during the summer, although now that I have the 450h this might change. These cars are usually not on a tender, but they get driven a minimum of 80 miles a day, 5 days a week all winter, keeping the battery fully charged all winter. The Hyundai Tucson that the 450h replaced had a battery that was not at 100% but still started the car fine after 7 years.

Just leave the car at home on a tender. You could check all the fluids before starting and take a look around the thing to make sure nothing leaked out before starting it if it makes you feel better.