RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Extended Warranty on top of CPO Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-17, 08:55 AM
Meganm76
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty on top of CPO Warranty

I will be purchasing a CPO 2015 RX 350 today. It has 19,860 miles on it. The car fax shows it was a "corporate fleet" owner, which from my research, means the vehicle could have been driven pretty hard. Apparently, Lexus offers an additional extended warranty on top of the CPO warranty. I believe it's an additional 4 years, unlimited mileage, bumper to bumper warranty. I haven't looked at all of the details of the warranty yet, but it was offered to me at $2800, when it's reportedly usually $4000. Is this worthwhile or does anyone have any experience with adding an additional warranty on top of the CPO warranty? Thank you!
Old 01-29-17, 01:24 PM
Feral1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just purchased a 2012 RX 350 with just over 100K. Dealer wouldn't do CPO even though they advertised it as such, They pushed the after market warranty real hard when it came to signing the final documents. I refused as I believe these warranties are just a added profit item for the dealer. I am going to put anther 100K plus on the car and will pay my way and do minor things myself up to and including a brake job.
The following users liked this post:
Meganm76 (01-29-17)
Old 01-29-17, 03:39 PM
SteveCraig
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

[QUOTE=Meganm76;9752703 could have been driven pretty hard. Apparently, Lexus offers an additional extended warranty on top of the CPO warranty. I believe it's an additional 4 years, unlimited mileage, bumper to bumper warranty. I haven't looked at all of the details of the warranty yet, but it was offered to me at $2800, when it's reportedly usually $4000. Is this worthwhile or does anyone have any experience with adding an additional warranty on top of the CPO warranty? Thank you![/QUOTE]

Read the fine print, very carefully. Warranties are a lucrative selling item.
CPO simply means a number of wear items have been replaced or they already meet a minimum standard ex: brake pads, tires.Those components are warranted to go another xx miles or xx months. Simple as that. The CPO warranty cost is partially calculated on the $$ it takes to get the car to that point.
Could have been driven pretty hard, could have been driven like a cream puff. I can flog my wife's RX too without thinking twice. This little car has gobs of torque. The drive train is one of Toyota's best workhorses. There's not too much you can hurt unless you're intent on jumping curbs. Get the on-board computer scanned & a report printed or witnessed by you. Don't believe them if they tell you it can't be done.
I do this to marine engines when looking at a used boat.I know exactly how many hours on the boat & a proportion of how it spent it's life to date. 0-1000 RPM-18%, 1001-1500 RPM - 4% , etc..
Bought an extended warranty with mine back in 2012. It's a gamble, nothing else. I'm ahead this time around, next time they might win.
4 brake discs, rear shocks, rear trailing arms, rear hatch. There have been a few other minor items. It expired last Fall & the dealer went over the car stem to stern looking for issues just prior to the finish date. We tend to keep our cars a long time & they are very well maintained.
Meganm76 (01-29-17)
Old 01-29-17, 04:06 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

The CPO "L" certified is already unlimited mileage. The extended warranty on top of the CPO will cover more "years". It all depends on how long you will keep the car. Also is this extended warranty on top of the CPO offer by Lexus HQ or some third-party? Is this an "exclusion" or "inclusion" warranty (what exactly is the coverage)? If offered by Lexus HQ, then most likely Lexus will still be around years down the road. But if third party?

If I were to buy such extended warranty on top of the CPO warranty, then I would be buying BC of all those electronics on the car. Does the car have NAV? Is the NAVIGATION unit covered?

Originally Posted by Meganm76
I will be purchasing a CPO 2015 RX 350 today. It has 19,860 miles on it. The car fax shows it was a "corporate fleet" owner, which from my research, means the vehicle could have been driven pretty hard. Apparently, Lexus offers an additional extended warranty on top of the CPO warranty. I believe it's an additional 4 years, unlimited mileage, bumper to bumper warranty. I haven't looked at all of the details of the warranty yet, but it was offered to me at $2800, when it's reportedly usually $4000. Is this worthwhile or does anyone have any experience with adding an additional warranty on top of the CPO warranty? Thank you!
Meganm76 (01-29-17)
Old 01-29-17, 07:25 PM
Meganm76
Driver School Candidate

Thank you much for the replies. I had incorrectly assumed all dealerships were opened on Sundays, but that's not the case in CO. Therefore, I did not purchase the vehicle today, but intend to tomorrow. To answer the questions, this is the dealership warranty, not 3rd party. It's fully loaded, to include navigation (the electronics are the biggest $ I'm concerned about). I generally keep my vehicles past the point they're paid off. I drive about 22 - 25k per year. I will be taking on a 60-month loan. The original warranty will be over at 50k (likely about a year and a half after purchase). The Cetified Warranty will end 2 years (unlimited mileage) after the original warranty ends. If I just keep the vehicle until it's paid off, I'm guessing I will have about 1.5 years without a warranty intact. However, as I said earlier, I'm likely to keep it longer, at least by another year or so.
Old 01-29-17, 08:35 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

OK. I see.

Here is something to consider.

Say you go ahead with the extended warranty on top of the CPO warranty..........What about some 5 years or so later? Your NAV maps will be totally out of date. (I use more of my phone's "WAZE" more and more these days while the NAV is there as a backup and I stream music via the Mark Levinson sound system.). Or what about ten years later? Will the phone you will be using then (iPhone 19 whatever the new one at ten years out) be compatible with the Lexus NAV/sound system?

I would ask the dealer to put it in writing that IF YOU BUY THIS EXTENDED WARRANTY ON TOP OF THE CPO WARRANTY that they will update your NAV maps FREE of charge at least once a year PLUS whatever updates needed to the NAV so that you will not have any issues with your phone down the road.

Originally Posted by Meganm76
Thank you much for the replies. I had incorrectly assumed all dealerships were opened on Sundays, but that's not the case in CO. Therefore, I did not purchase the vehicle today, but intend to tomorrow. To answer the questions, this is the dealership warranty, not 3rd party. It's fully loaded, to include navigation (the electronics are the biggest $ I'm concerned about). I generally keep my vehicles past the point they're paid off. I drive about 22 - 25k per year. I will be taking on a 60-month loan. The original warranty will be over at 50k (likely about a year and a half after purchase). The Cetified Warranty will end 2 years (unlimited mileage) after the original warranty ends. If I just keep the vehicle until it's paid off, I'm guessing I will have about 1.5 years without a warranty intact. However, as I said earlier, I'm likely to keep it longer, at least by another year or so.
Meganm76 (01-30-17)
Old 01-30-17, 06:50 AM
Meganm76
Driver School Candidate

Very good points. Thank you!
Old 01-30-17, 11:15 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Lexus used to post a list of nav map changes by state. Now I see they don't do it anymore. How important it is to have the latest update depends on whether your area frequently changes/is under development. But realize the information is generally one year behind. POIs are also included. Again, they're not always current either. I've come across a few places that I know closed down. Over 12 years between two RXs, I only updated the map once. I still managed to get to destinations just fine. So there's some question about the value, at least to me. Future phone compatibility is difficult to predict. You can take a look at current information here. I highly doubt any dealer could make a guarantee 10 years down the road, literally.

Meganm76, please make sure you read all details regarding the extended warranty including covered components. We also have this thread discussing whether it's worth getting. Keep in mind at 22-25K a year, you have less than one year of complimentary service. After that, at least two oil changes and one major service a year. Also worth mentioning,replacing the brakes, tires or any other wear item. But you can go to any Toyota dealer or independent mechanic. We have a few threads talking about alternate places for service.
Old 01-30-17, 02:24 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Good points.

The NAV in the Lexus vehicles are likely to be outdated at least one year as you mentioned. That's why I use WAZE app on my phone. I do find the live destination service on the Lexus Enform helpful if I'm alone driving and in heavy traffic in unfamiliar areas. All you got to do is press one button and you are connected to a live person. But you still have to review the destination sent to you to verify that it is correct. But this is a PAID subscription service.

On the smartphones some years down the road....... Nobody has a clue if the newest smartphones at some 5, 8, or 10 years down the road will work with your current car's NAV or infotainment system. I don't think the auto makers know either as all are rushing to offer the newest and latest whatever tech out there.

Here is an excerpt from Auto Trader on EXCLUSION VS INCLUSION WARRANTY:

Exclusionary Warranties Are Better

Two types of extended warranties are usually available: inclusionary and exclusionary. We strongly recommend exclusionary warranties, as they're more comprehensive. Usually, they list precisely what they don't cover, while inclusionary warranties only cover the mentioned items.

Follow this link for the article.

http://www.autotrader.com/car-tips/e...ty-tips-209520

I have an exclusion third party extended warranty on one of my MB. I only collected ONE TIME (it included wheels and tires protection along with the usual extended warranty all in one warranty) and I'm ALMOST ahead already. So it depends on each one's situation. I had hit a rebar pipe on the interstate during some constructions and blew out one of my rear tires. It was an MB AMG rim/tire. The blow out on the tire was forcefully enough to destroy the rim beyond repair. The replacement OEM AMG rim/tire was around $2.5k. It was covered and zero deductible for the wheels/tire protection.

Originally Posted by kitlz
Lexus used to post a list of nav map changes by state. Now I see they don't do it anymore. How important it is to have the latest update depends on whether your area frequently changes/is under development. But realize the information is generally one year behind. POIs are also included. Again, they're not always current either. I've come across a few places that I know closed down. Over 12 years between two RXs, I only updated the map once. I still managed to get to destinations just fine. So there's some question about the value, at least to me. Future phone compatibility is difficult to predict. You can take a look at current information here. I highly doubt any dealer could make a guarantee 10 years down the road, literally.

Meganm76, please make sure you read all details regarding the extended warranty including covered components. We also have this thread discussing whether it's worth getting. Keep in mind at 22-25K a year, you have less than one year of complimentary service. After that, at least two oil changes and one major service a year. Also worth mentioning,replacing the brakes, tires or any other wear item. But you can go to any Toyota dealer or independent mechanic. We have a few threads talking about alternate places for service.

Last edited by lexusrus; 01-30-17 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-30-17, 04:08 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Interesting info about your third party warranty. Obviously you were lucky and got your money's worth already. My first reaction is to stay away. A family member was out of luck when the company folded. Forget about obtaining a refund. Soon after, an expensive repair was needed. It would have been covered, under the car manufacturer's extended warranty they passed up. It was a painful mistake. That puts the Lexus extended warranty at an advantage IMO. Plus they offer prorated refunds.

Destination Assist is more accurate than POIs found in the nav system. I think I read once where they couldn't provide directions due to the maps being a few versions old. But it's pretty rare for something like that to happen. Maybe Meganm76 can ask for a few years' subscription to Lexus Enform instead. It would include the added benefit of Safety Connect. The annual cost is comparable to installing the nav update. Just a thought.
Old 01-31-17, 05:19 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Good points.

When I sold my old SLK a few years ago (subsequently I got another newer one as I missed the hardtop convertible), the third party extended warranty had one year and some 15k miles remaining. I could have gotten a prorated refund, but it was an added edge when selling. For $100 I transferred the extended warranty to the new buyer for which he was very pleased.

Originally Posted by kitlz
Interesting info about your third party warranty. Obviously you were lucky and got your money's worth already. My first reaction is to stay away. A family member was out of luck when the company folded. Forget about obtaining a refund. Soon after, an expensive repair was needed. It would have been covered, under the car manufacturer's extended warranty they passed up. It was a painful mistake. That puts the Lexus extended warranty at an advantage IMO. Plus they offer prorated refunds.

Destination Assist is more accurate than POIs found in the nav system. I think I read once where they couldn't provide directions due to the maps being a few versions old. But it's pretty rare for something like that to happen. Maybe Meganm76 can ask for a few years' subscription to Lexus Enform instead. It would include the added benefit of Safety Connect. The annual cost is comparable to installing the nav update. Just a thought.