RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Degregation in gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-17, 08:37 PM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
I see what you are saying.

Question:. Are there different grades within "top tier" gas brands? Who had done "controlled double blind" studies (if even possible?) and see if there are any differences WITHIN "top tier" gas brands (especially mpg differences within the same octane level across different gas brands)?

There are many similarities in the grading of automotive oils and automotive fuels. In both cases, refiners must meet specific requirements at the refinery level to qualify for a specific grade or rating. A "double blind test" is something usually done by an independent lab to confirm the claim made by the refiner. In the case of Top Tier, both AAA and Consumer Reports tested the fuel, and verified that the detergent quality was superior to non-TT brands. Additionally, AAA announced that their findings showed the fuels to have even better detergent quality, and resultant performance quality, than TT had claimed.

I am sure other labs will be challenging the claims, as well. At this time, I don't see any reason not to accept that Top Tier really is top tier. The opinions of others may vary, and that is fine.
Old 01-17-17, 04:10 AM
Sean2202
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe I missed it but did the OP state what mileage was on the car? While not ruling out winter blend fuel and tires there could be other factors that contribute to loss of mpg in higher mileage vehicles. Ex: dirty fuel filter, worn spark plug or plugs or weak coil pack.
Old 01-17-17, 05:02 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

OK. Got it.

The following is on my CT200h hybrid.

BTW, I was just curious about Sam's Club gas as Sam's Club does not advertise it's gas as TOP TIER. So after I ran almost empty on my CT200h, I went to Sam's Club and gased up on regular gas. Mostly highway driving (90%) going at 75mph+ (which will decrease mpg on a hybrid). I drove about 100 miles in flat terrain and the dash readout says 37 mpg AVG. Please note on the CT200h, this readout resets whenever the car detects a fill up because the readout will say something crazy like 99 mpg for the first few miles and then display correctly. I think after about 100 miles of highway driving, it is reporting the correct mpg.

So Sam's Club gas is not so bad (even if not TOP TIER)? While Costco gas IS TOP TIER and will result in something like a 10+ mpg drop?

After this Sam's Club gas runs almost empty, I will do another fill up at Costco and see what happens?

I guess everyone's experience with this will be different.

So I guess just fill up at whatever gas station makes one happy.

Originally Posted by 11bravo

There are many similarities in the grading of automotive oils and automotive fuels. In both cases, refiners must meet specific requirements at the refinery level to qualify for a specific grade or rating. A "double blind test" is something usually done by an independent lab to confirm the claim made by the refiner. In the case of Top Tier, both AAA and Consumer Reports tested the fuel, and verified that the detergent quality was superior to non-TT brands. Additionally, AAA announced that their findings showed the fuels to have even better detergent quality, and resultant performance quality, than TT had claimed.

I am sure other labs will be challenging the claims, as well. At this time, I don't see any reason not to accept that Top Tier really is top tier. The opinions of others may vary, and that is fine.
Old 01-17-17, 07:57 AM
ejm3
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok here's an update. (FYI the car is a 2010 RX350 with 95k miles and runs great).

I took it to Cape Cod this weekend, a trip of 225 miles each way.
Before I left I filled the tank at a different station (Mobile, 93 octane).
The trip is virtually all highway with virtually zero traffic heading to the Cape in January.
So in other words, its pretty much a best case scenario for MPG's.

I averaged 21.7 MPG. Not terrible considering 3 people and lots of stuff in the car, but I would probably expect about 1 MPG better even considering the winter gas mix.

While at the Cape I added some air to each tire as they all appeared to be a couple PSI low.

Then on the way home I filled up at a BP station up there. I took a different route home but a very similar drive (highway, low traffic) and averaged....wait for it....21.7 MPG again. So not terrible but again about 1 MPG lower than I would have expected given the circumstances.

As for the tires if that's the problem then its a little frustrating since these Pirellis are supposed to be "green" and "eco" tires.
I was skeptical and didn't buy them for that reason but I certainly didn't expect LOWER gas mileage with them!
Old 01-17-17, 08:37 AM
Sean2202
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must have a heavier foot because I average between 19-22 mpg all the time. Although when I used non ethanol I did average 23.5 on that tank. (All highway) 2013 f-sport with 29k miles for comparison.
Old 01-17-17, 12:26 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

OP, you're averaging almost 22MPG on the RX and the complaint is it could have been 1MPG better? That would be what I get in my Hybrid, then, LOL.
Old 01-17-17, 07:55 PM
BenRX
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OP, how fast were you driving on the highway? I also do a ton of highway driving to/from work on a daily basis. Your MPGs will differ when doing 60-MPH versus 70-MPH. I'm averaging about ~22 MPG.
Old 01-18-17, 06:13 AM
ejm3
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Remember this trip is kind of a benchmark because its pretty much a best case scenario mileage-wise.
I do it a number of times a year.

When we're not using winter blend gas I have done close to 25 MPG on that trip (maybe 24.5 24.7 range).

Best case there's a little traffic to keep me from going 75-80 MPH, which hurts the mileage.
Old 01-18-17, 07:46 AM
kezgao
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Back in my previous house, commute was 85% highway (90kph/55mph). During the summer running on a set of Michelin Latitude Tour tires, I average 10.3L/100KM (~22.8mpg).
Current house, my commute is now 100% city stop and go. I average about 11.5L/100km (20mpg) on a tank of gas during the summer. Winter I get about 13L/100km (~18mpg) running on a set of Michelin X-Ice. This is of course handling the canadian winter with snow and ice on the road. Can't drive fast or often driving on a couple inches of snow.
I get regular gas from Costco. I've tried Esso and Shell and didn't notice any difference with regular vs premium. Dealer tells me to stick to regular for the 2013 RX350.