RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Need help on deciding which RX to get

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-17, 10:01 AM
Shintsu
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am planning either today or tomorrow going to look at a 2011 FX35 with 100k miles, it is more expensive however. And I will look at the 2010 RX350 black/black I found. I did find a 2011 RX450h with 105k miles that looks well kept, but it's $17,500. I really wanted to be under $16k but the FX35 is $17,750 so also over my price. The RX is silver which I like too (easier to keep clean I'm sure if a bit less sharp), but has HID, nav, etc. I swear I just searched through about 30 RX's up to $30k and none of them had the Mark Levinson system. I'd like to have that, but is it really that rare? Meanwhile like most of the 2nd gen RX's I've seen had it and when I ogle an LS430/460 they all have it (Is it standard there perhaps?). Also seems like a lot if the IS350's have it too.

I did not know the RX had knee airbags. Also saw a thing when looking up some safety stuff of someone driving their RX off a 4th story parking garage and landing on the roof getting out of it uninjured. I mean this RX sounds like the best possible vehicle to get for me. I might lose some power and stuff the FX has...but I have a Z06 so it kind of doesn't matter. I think the FX is safe too, but the Lexus seems class leading.
Old 01-14-17, 12:09 PM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Good luck and let us know how it goes. The test drives will give you a better idea about the direction to go. Then you can focus on finding the vehicle that checks most if not all things on your list. Also, thanks for providing insights about what you're looking for. The RX is a great vehicle but not necessarily for everyone. For you, it'll probably work.

Safe? Yes. That accident you're referring to happened when a parking attendant drove into an open elevator shaft. There's also this one in the 2RX forum. The teenage driver miraculously survived . My SA told me about someone who rolled their 330. They walked away without a scratch. And my sister had to do an evasive maneuver in a 300 when a truck tire flew in her direction on the highway. She thought for sure she was going to roll over but the RX stayed upright. To this day she's grateful for being in that car when it happened. I think the air bag count is 18 including the knee area. The doors also go up high. It's most noticeable when trying to use a drive up ATM. It's hard to reach the buttons, LOL! And if you go with the 450h, you get VDIM which engages any time there's loss of traction. I can attest to how well it worked on black ice.

There's more but I'll hold off until after you take your test drives. Again, good luck.
Old 01-14-17, 12:25 PM
Shintsu
Rookie

Heh, I think you guys think I'll hold out for the most perfect RX out there. It might exist, but it's probably not $16k and then what if I find it and the service history isn't as good or it's been in an accident? I think I'll settle for a loss of some features to get accident free, two owner with both doing great maintenance as expected, and the color combination I'd most like. I know exactly how that goes, as I often when looking online for cars (I kind of do this obsessively, even before I was looking at the current vehicles) and I'd find one with the great service history, all the records, and it would be in a color I didn't love as much as another. Find the color I like, and it's been in two accidents, with maybe 8 records total most just being oil changes. I'm not sure I'd usually be the "service at dealer regularly" type, but given that RX already has been I'd continue the same regimen.

I can't imagine an SUV having a hard time reaching anything, try reaching stuff from my Z06. Every time I try to reach the mailboxes at the post office or something they're almost equal in level with the top of my car. The fancy auto car wash I use sometimes is also this way, always end up unbuckling my seatbelt and opening the door and leaning out to reach the buttons.

Given how most people (despite enthusiasts opinion) do not care that much about sportiness or handling, I can't imagine why most wouldn't like an RX other than cost. Eh my brother (and many people I've talked to) is the type who would never want to spend much on something with 100k miles on it, and especially if it's a few years old. I OTOH, find no issues with that as long as the vehicle in question is reliable and hasn't been abused. I'm sure not going out and buying a new one, I could afford it but I prefer to be a bit more frugal with my car. I think too many people are obsessed with newer model years and lower miles, to the point they screw themselves over paying too much money for newer/lower mile cars. I'm sure they think 100k+ miles means you're going to be at the repair shop all the time, stuff is gonna be broke, blah blah blah. Yeah, in the time I had my Buick I can recall one time when a belt broke while I was driving it and I had to get that fixed. Then I had a time the brake booster was starting to go bad, the brakes worked fine but after stopping I had to stand on the pedal to keep the car stopped. I think that was the last thing I fixed before I got rid of it. Some time earlier on I replaced the spark plugs and the wires because it was sputtering when in overdrive sometimes. It's for this reason I look at 100k miles and laugh like "Oh, it's so used up..." please...

What is VDIM? In your opinion, would you favor the 450h so much that like in my case, you'd go slightly over a budget to get one? I do not like the style of transmission on the 400/450h, but the gas mileage would be a cool benefit. I dunno, I'll drive and see but I am normally quite opposed to those. Still surprised Highlanders cost the same/more than a similar RX. It does have more cargo room, but ehh it's hardly worth it IMO to lose the Lexus luxury and style for 10-12 cu. ft. extra space and a third row I'll never use.

Last edited by Shintsu; 01-14-17 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-15-17, 07:20 PM
Shintsu
Rookie

So I looked at the FX and both RX's. I know the FX is a polarizing thing because of the style but I really like the looks. It was definitely a bit more fancy than the RX with HIDs and navigation. However, it certainly had the stiffer ride. Power was great, visibility not so great. The one I looked at the heated seats didn't even feel like they were coming on even after driving it for about 10 minutes. There was some corrosion in the engine bay on some of the parts (obviously can tell it was from the Northeast). Overall, I would certainly not rule out an FX35 but think I'd hold out for a nicer one (this was just the closest one to me that was the newer style).

The black/black RX350. Ah, now here's the meat of it all. So comfy, compared to the Infiniti it's noticeably smoother and quieter over everything. Hitting bumps, potholes, you name it they barely register. Throttle response is decent, but I will say when I got on the gas hard I can tell there's a delay. I could mash the pedal and then tell it hesitated for a brief moment before kicking in. Also I have to say, wow those padded door handles. That is the nicest feeling door panel I've felt in a car. Also I love the feel of the wooden steering wheel just as I suspected I would. Sport shift mode is ehh. Not very responsive, the FX was much more responsive but I get the sporting intent the FX has vs. the RX. I liked a lot about the RX, the bad was apparently the previous owner while meticulous about maintenance was not so careful driving it. There were scrapes along the front bumper on the driver side, nasty scuffs around the same level near the wheels on the drivers door and on the rear driver's side door. Really ruined the look of the otherwise sharp black RX. Also had some pock marks on the hood where I could see tiny rust spots since the bare metal was exposed. I'm very familiar with it, my Maxima suffers the same problem though on mine they're just black not actual rust colored like the RX was.

I went to look at an RX450h, but couldn't drive it since the dealer that had it had literally one person there and said he couldn't let people drive it without going with (Funny that the RX350 dealer didn't care at all, just pitched the keys and said take your time). I went to look at it anyway, as goofy as it is I like all those blue Lexus logos on it and the blue tinted tail lights. I'd probably still replace them with some JDM ones, but they're a bit cooler than the regular tail lights. It also had the Enform navigation on it. I didn't mess with it too much, but I will say I think I like an RX better with the nav than without. That really basic screen on the non-Nav is a bit hard to understand at a glance. I tried messing with it while driving around but couldn't make sense of it right off hand. I also like the bigger screen for the backup camera. Btw, is there no way to turn on guide lines? I'm surprised it doesn't have them. The 450h battery was low enough it had to run the gas motor at first but then it just shut off. It kept telling me P for park range or something each time I put it in reverse which was odd (I was backing it up just a little to open the hood). It did shut the engine off not long after and was on battery only. I've never cared about that stuff before, but I found it so cool that I could move it and everything like it was running and yet it was dead silent and the gas engine was totally off.

Bad thing though on the 450h it had tons of corrosion on it, and all the plastic pieces under the hood were loose like someone had been messing with it under there. I gave them the fob back and didn't push the matter on driving it, but I was very intrigued. Now I really want to drive a 450h and get a feel for it. I don't like CVT, but in the Lexus I can almost see why it would be fine. It's a comfy quiet kind of vehicle where it seems not to care so much about being sporty and all that. I can appreciate both angles, the FX is fun much like a sports car and shares some of the downsides too. The RX is so nice in the way I enjoyed an LS430 I test drove. Don't really care if others think these are boring, I hardly see why this isn't enjoyable. It's better to drive some bouncy truck like riding SUV instead? Cheaper cabin materials, worse mileage, less power, and the subjective of usually worse looks too? I'm a young guy, and I'll say I really dig the RX's smoothness. Can think of anything else besides maybe that LS430 I drove that was so nice and quiet.
Old 01-16-17, 08:36 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Well, sounds like an informative weekend for you. I would suggest that you focus more in the Nashville area where they have a huge used car market, and you'll be much more likely to find a Southern car with no corrosion. A trip like that makes it more inconvenient and tedious for visits and test drives, but also imposes some patience to help have time to make good decisions. Right now, there are not any options showing which git your goals, at least not taht I can see, but I have not looked at Autotrader yet, either. Some times you just have to wait a while.

When I drove the 450h after driving the 350, I was impressed with the increased punchinesss in the 450h. Since I still drive ym diesel every day to work and only drive the 450h for a short while 1-2x per weekend, I'm still adjusting to its inherent differences in terms of engine/motor noise and the cycling on/off of the gas engine. Regardless, when I want it to move NOW and hit the pedal hard, my wife grabs the door handle and gets this panicky look on her face until I finish the accelerating/maneuvering process and return to more conventional driving manners. Through all of this, I find myself still struggling to not cruise at 80 mph around town because of how quiet it is, and it just doesn't feel like it's really going that fast, and I've grown to have a deep appreciation for the fact that it feels so smooth and quiet in those scenarios. I really like the 450h a lot more now than I did even when I chose it over a 350, and I DID choose to pay a little extra to get the "h" because of how it much better I liked its throttle response.
Old 01-16-17, 08:38 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Shintsu, I'm glad you were finally able to drive the FX and RX. I get the impression you're leaning towards the RX for the ride and luxury but somewhat disappointed with the power. You should go back and try the 450h for the extra HPs and torque. It's probably going to appeal to you more. The transition when the engine turns off and you go into stealth mode is pretty cool. It never gets old either. Same with the noise the regenerative brakes make. The 450h has both a smooth ride and super quiet cabin. The 350 you looked at was probably an early build (pre August 2009) since it didn't have Enform. Those had a sunglass holder instead. Too bad about the outside condition. Fingers crossed you find one that looks better and has the service history you want.
Old 01-16-17, 09:09 AM
Shintsu
Rookie

I'm just not sure. I like both the FX and the RX for different reasons. But what I don't like is both of these are approaching $20k, and I told myself I would not spend that much. I'm starting to reconsider and thinking about just finding something that won't be as nice or luxurious for more like $10k as that's more what I actually wanted to spend. $16k was the price I kept bumping up to the upper limits to get to. The RX450h's I find are mostly $19-20k or more and still have 100k miles. The dealer did say on the 350 that they might be able to fix the paint issues, but per my estimation that means it would need the hood repainted, as well as the driver fender, both driver doors, and the rear quarterpanel. It's $16k car, I highly doubt they're going to spend that much on it. Maybe they'd do a professional touch up?

Buying a cheaper car in a way though feels like surrendering to having two cool cars though. I found a CR-V that was very affordable, but it's the definition of an appliance to me. It looks ok, but nothing all that special. It's reliable, reasonable on gas, quite slow, but otherwise adequate. It's not an impressive ride, but then again I have a Z06 so I don't really need both of my cars to be cool - I'd just like it if they both were. My Maxima was a $5k car several years ago, it's at a point where I am ok with not obsessing over it getting banged up when I go into the store. I hope it doesn't happen as it still looks decent, but nothing like my Z06 where I do consciously think about where to park and try not to go anywhere that it will be unattended for a lengthy time. If I go dropping $16k, I'm not sure I wouldn't be just the same with that as I am with my Z06. It does help me haul things, but I'll still be worrying about it getting banged up a bit. My Z06 will still likely be my "first impression" car that I'll take to events and things where people may not know who I am.

Does my thought process make sense? Am I just crazy? Feel free to say so if I am
Old 01-16-17, 09:47 AM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm just an observer here, but it seems you are making this a whole lot more difficult than it needs to be. HID, inspections, color, shocks/struts, useless nav,

You are buying a used car...you can seldom get EXACTLY what you want, at the price you can pay. Decide what is important to you, and what is not, and you might have more vehicles to choose from. As for the "inspection" on the black Lexus...if they just did the 100K service, a thorough inspection was performed. Why would you now pay someone to repeat the process? The greatest inspection in the world will not prevent a problem in the future. That vehicle has had good maintenance, owned by folks who obviously took care of it. And, the price is decent.

And, that comment about women is just plain stupid. Women are generally not concerned with having a car that is really fast, or screams, "look at me...LOOK AT ME". They are concerned about dependability and safety. That is why you see a lot of women driving Lexuseses. We men should try to think more like women sometimes. Why did you get rid of the Z06? It was the perfect car for you, wasn't it???

Last edited by 11bravo; 01-16-17 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-16-17, 11:18 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Having been participating in this discussion with you from the beginning, I can see how the dialogue has created several points of impact on your thinking process, Shintsu. Having no or few vehicle options close to you, however, does make it a lot easier to overthink and over analyze all the details. Just balance it out and keep it in perspective. If you step back a little, from what you've shared, it's not like you're going to spend hours every day of the week driving it around and taking important customers out in it. Most of the "impression" your vehicle is going to give is going to be while it is parked somewhere and you're not even in it, so whatever impression it gives will typically not even get directly associated with you.

Don't get me wrong, though, I'm completely with you in terms of having and driving a clean, reliable, comfortable, safe, and responsive vehicle which is in great condition and is highly controllable by the driver. That's why I do things like replacing BOTH of my rear F250 calipers this past weekend even though only one was leaking... they both had 290K miles on them, and I don't want failure while I'm driving -- if one just failed, the other is not far behind. But, at the same time, I'm still driving around with a fairly minor dent in the PS side of my truck bed which has been there for 10 years now and was received within the first two weeks of it being "new to me" -- it helps keeps me humble and helps me think more carefully about what I'm doing wherever I drive and have to park that behemoth!

People who think they know who you are based on the car you drive are just shallow enough to not be worth spending much time with... they will never build you up! You are who you ARE, and that is determined by how you think, and what you do & say when no one is looking. I know that sounds sort of "parent-ish", but it is who I AM -- a father with 6 kids ranging from 17-28, and I just can't help handing out some "parent speak" from time to time.

Last edited by F250; 01-16-17 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-16-17, 11:53 AM
Shintsu
Rookie

Originally Posted by F250
Having been participating in this discussion with you from the beginning, I can see how the dialogue has created several points of impact on your thinking process, Shintsu. Having no or few vehicle options close to you, however, does make it a lot easier to overthink and over analyze all the details. Just balance it out and keep it in perspective. If you step back a little, from what you've shared, it's not like you're going to spend hours every day of the week driving it around and taking important customers out in it. Most of the "impression" your vehicle is going to give is going to be while it is parked somewhere and you're not even in it, so whatever impression it gives will typically not even get directly associated with you.

Don't get me wrong, though, I'm completely with you in terms of having and driving a clean, reliable, comfortable, safe, and responsive vehicle which is in great condition and is highly controllable by the driver. That's why I do things like replacing BOTH of my rear F250 calipers this past weekend even though only one was leaking... they both had 290K miles on them, and I don;t want failure while I'm driving -- if one just failed, the other is not far behind. But, at the same time, I'm still driving around with a fairly minor dent in the PS side of my truck bed which has been there for 10 years now and was received within the first two weeks of it being "new to me" -- it helps keeps me humble and helps me think more carefully about what I'm doing wherever I drive and have to park that behemoth!

People who think they know who you are based on the car you drive are just shallow enough to not be worth spending much time with... they will never build you up! You are who you ARE, and that is determined by how you think, and what you do & say when no one is looking. I know that sounds sort of "parent-ish", but it is who I AM -- a father with 6 kids ranging from 17-28, and I just can't help handing out some "parent speak" from time to time.
It's much appreciated, I'm 26 so it sounds about right. My own father told me not to worry too much about it, so I've let a lot of that go (Hence why I looked at the RX, which before was a "mom car"). For my own satisfaction though, there's the rub. I'd be driving my Z06 and some car if I had my way (Not an SUV or truck). It's highly impractical though, and no one I know has a truck that I can borrow - nor would I want to be having to do so with the frequency that I'm sure someone who freshly has bought a home would be doing so. There's an interest factor in driving an SUV now too, since they're a vehicle type I've decried for many years (Mostly at the peak of body on frame ones). In an effort to just not care about them anymore, I feel I need to own one and then understand why others chose them. If wagons were a highly available thing though, I'd definitely favor one of those.

The AWD part would be nice too, I've only had FWD cars save my Mustang and Z06 but after driving through blinding rain, fog, in the dark, with nothing but my own headlights lighting the road up - I definitely feel less safe in my formerly considered safe Maxima. It was decent for 2003, but newer always seems to be better than older for safety. Still can't convince my dad of that, he thinks small SUVs like the CR-V and RAV4 are too small and would be crushed by a big truck or something. I've posited that they're a lot better in a crash than my old car would be, even if it is a lot of fun to drive. Whatever this second car will be is going to be my winter time car 100% and then for the rest of the year, only when I need to or think I might need to haul something. Otherwise, I'd rather drive my Z06 (It will not be a garage queen). I've barely had much time to drive the Z06 though, so for all I know I might not like driving it all the time and end up selling it (I sure hope not). If so, then this would become my primary vehicle. It would be nice if it was something good enough that I didn't need to get rid of whatever I choose and then buy another car. Not a fan of the car buying process.

Heh, sometimes I think about selling my Z06, my Maxima, and then just picking up a '13 or '14 Audi TT RS. Fast and more practical than the Z06, and very unique in a way that I like. But it's an expensive option and I think I'd rather just have cheaper cars even if I can afford more expensive ones.
Old 01-16-17, 02:14 PM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by F250

Don't get me wrong, though, I'm completely with you in terms of having and driving a clean, reliable, comfortable, safe, and responsive vehicle which is in great condition and is highly controllable by the driver. That's why I do things like replacing BOTH of my rear F250 calipers this past weekend even though only one was leaking... they both had 290K miles on them, and I don;t want failure while I'm driving -- if one just failed, the other is not far behind. But, at the same time, I'm still driving around with a fairly minor dent in the PS side of my truck bed which has been there for 10 years now and was received within the first two weeks of it being "new to me" -- it helps keeps me humble and helps me think more carefully about what I'm doing wherever I drive and have to park that behemoth!

So much better stated than I, Pete,

J
Old 01-16-17, 03:37 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Have you looked at a Lexus CT200h?

It is smaller, but it is a good commuter car. I have a 2013 CT200h.

Originally Posted by Shintsu
I'm just not sure. I like both the FX and the RX for different reasons. But what I don't like is both of these are approaching $20k, and I told myself I would not spend that much. I'm starting to reconsider and thinking about just finding something that won't be as nice or luxurious for more like $10k as that's more what I actually wanted to spend. $16k was the price I kept bumping up to the upper limits to get to. The RX450h's I find are mostly $19-20k or more and still have 100k miles. The dealer did say on the 350 that they might be able to fix the paint issues, but per my estimation that means it would need the hood repainted, as well as the driver fender, both driver doors, and the rear quarterpanel. It's $16k car, I highly doubt they're going to spend that much on it. Maybe they'd do a professional touch up?

Buying a cheaper car in a way though feels like surrendering to having two cool cars though. I found a CR-V that was very affordable, but it's the definition of an appliance to me. It looks ok, but nothing all that special. It's reliable, reasonable on gas, quite slow, but otherwise adequate. It's not an impressive ride, but then again I have a Z06 so I don't really need both of my cars to be cool - I'd just like it if they both were. My Maxima was a $5k car several years ago, it's at a point where I am ok with not obsessing over it getting banged up when I go into the store. I hope it doesn't happen as it still looks decent, but nothing like my Z06 where I do consciously think about where to park and try not to go anywhere that it will be unattended for a lengthy time. If I go dropping $16k, I'm not sure I wouldn't be just the same with that as I am with my Z06. It does help me haul things, but I'll still be worrying about it getting banged up a bit. My Z06 will still likely be my "first impression" car that I'll take to events and things where people may not know who I am.

Does my thought process make sense? Am I just crazy? Feel free to say so if I am
Old 01-17-17, 06:09 AM
Shintsu
Rookie

Originally Posted by lexusrus
Have you looked at a Lexus CT200h?

It is smaller, but it is a good commuter car. I have a 2013 CT200h.
No, I did think about it when I saw how cheap they were for the year. The smaller part is definitely part of the issue, not sure how much I could hold in it relative to an SUV. I sort of faced this dilemma when looking at wagons, their measured cargo space while much better than a hatchback is still not as good as even a compact SUV somehow. The other thing I'm unsure about is the power in something like that, I know it's based off the Prius which I imagine are fairly slow.

I did look at an '08 CR-V the other day just for kicks, I know people said they were not as powerful but the one I found was very clean, one owner, good records, and seemed good for a CR-V. Wow I have not driven something so slow...probably ever. The '15 or '16 RAV4 rental that I drove felt surprisingly quick for what it was, 0-60 in maybe 8-8.4 seconds which while not fast didn't feel bad. The CR-V though, even at low speeds when I pushed the gas to the floor there was never any kind of "Here it is!" with the power. Just lazy acceleration. I looked it up and the 0-60 on those is like 9.4 seconds. Not to sound like 0-60 is the only thing that matters to me, but I do have a range of "acceptable" for performance on that. I drove that RX350 and FX35 and both of those were fine, but I think I'll be miserable driving something as slow as the CR-V. I was only looking at the CR-V because it was much cheaper than other things I was looking at, but there's just no way. I can't go from a supercharged V6 that had 240 HP, a Cadillac V8 that had 275 HP, Nissan V6 with 255 HP, to a 4 cylinder with 166 HP.

Knowing myself I'm starting to just think I should hold out for the FX35, because it's what I'll enjoy the most. I like the aggressive exhaust note, the fast shifting transmission, and the nice features it has as well as the very stylized looks. But I'm not dead set, a local dealer has a Jetta SportWagen with low miles and fairly new for a decent price. It's gotta pass the "slow" test but I like the looks and have an affinity for 5 cylinder engines.
Old 01-17-17, 10:11 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

Yes, the CT200h is VERY VERY VERY Slooooooow.

But once it gets up to speed, it will keep up and still get excellent mpg. I recently took another road trip from SoCal on I5 going north to northern Cali via the "Grapevine/I5" through the Tejon mountain pass. It not only kept up with traffic, I was passing people on the fast lane going up the mountain. Once it gains momentum, you must keep it moving when going up steep grades. Otherwise it will take a LOOOOOOONG time for it to get up to speed.

It is a very good commuter car as usually I'm the only person in it. I got mine FULLY LOADED BRAND NEW at a good discount. The only option it did not have was HUD. In the used market, even more discount BC currently gas is cheap and people don't want hybrids. Also it is very easy to maneuver in very tight city traffic and tight parking situations.

If you have a family of more than just two people, then it maybe too small. This is where my SUV such as the RX or LX comes into play.

If you want some serious thrills, then the CT200h will not deliver this (Ok, maybe during fast cornering as this car can take turns pretty fast due to its low center of gravity and it's unique OEM suspension setup with both front and rear stabilizer bars.). This is where my RCF comes into play.

BTW, the Toyota RV4 is a good looking SUV and it is fairly quick.

I am bias towards the Toyota/Lexus. I don't think Nissan/Infinity reliability and longevity is up to par with Toyota/Lexus.

Good luck on your search.

Originally Posted by Shintsu
No, I did think about it when I saw how cheap they were for the year. The smaller part is definitely part of the issue, not sure how much I could hold in it relative to an SUV. I sort of faced this dilemma when looking at wagons, their measured cargo space while much better than a hatchback is still not as good as even a compact SUV somehow. The other thing I'm unsure about is the power in something like that, I know it's based off the Prius which I imagine are fairly slow.

I did look at an '08 CR-V the other day just for kicks, I know people said they were not as powerful but the one I found was very clean, one owner, good records, and seemed good for a CR-V. Wow I have not driven something so slow...probably ever. The '15 or '16 RAV4 rental that I drove felt surprisingly quick for what it was, 0-60 in maybe 8-8.4 seconds which while not fast didn't feel bad. The CR-V though, even at low speeds when I pushed the gas to the floor there was never any kind of "Here it is!" with the power. Just lazy acceleration. I looked it up and the 0-60 on those is like 9.4 seconds. Not to sound like 0-60 is the only thing that matters to me, but I do have a range of "acceptable" for performance on that. I drove that RX350 and FX35 and both of those were fine, but I think I'll be miserable driving something as slow as the CR-V. I was only looking at the CR-V because it was much cheaper than other things I was looking at, but there's just no way. I can't go from a supercharged V6 that had 240 HP, a Cadillac V8 that had 275 HP, Nissan V6 with 255 HP, to a 4 cylinder with 166 HP.

Knowing myself I'm starting to just think I should hold out for the FX35, because it's what I'll enjoy the most. I like the aggressive exhaust note, the fast shifting transmission, and the nice features it has as well as the very stylized looks. But I'm not dead set, a local dealer has a Jetta SportWagen with low miles and fairly new for a decent price. It's gotta pass the "slow" test but I like the looks and have an affinity for 5 cylinder engines.
Old 01-17-17, 10:52 AM
Shintsu
Rookie

Oh no, if it's slow then I probably don't want it. I'm too much of a lead foot to enjoy something with no go. Even if it means I'll have to pay for it with worse gas mileage, I'd take that over slow.

Heh, my Nissan has been extremely reliable. In the 4 years I've owned it, all I've had to do was put tires on it and some rear brakes/rotors. Standard oil changes otherwise. I have a very early VQ being an '03 so the old ones tended to use some oil. I switched to high mileage oil and it has not been consuming next to any anymore. Can't remember the last time I had to top it off. Transmission is grinding in gears, but previous owner abused the car so I won't fault it for abuse. Don't know why people don't think Nissan or Infiniti are reliable, I trust them intrinsically. I don't like the CVT on the new ones though, don't think they're unreliable just not something I'd want. They absolutely ruined the Maxima by switching it to CVT. A CVT transmission should never be associated with sport or sporty, because it's not - it's economical. Fine when respected in that light, but there's no performance car out there that is fast and uses a CVT. Stupid Nissan...Infiniti is still fine though, they never went that route.

Quick Reply: Need help on deciding which RX to get