RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Need help on deciding which RX to get

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-17, 07:53 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Let me be the first one to put it out there - RX is a boring to drive car, hence why you see a certain driver demographics pattern.

P.S.
You want fun capable and efficient? Take a look at the Subaru lineup.
Old 01-12-17, 07:58 AM
Shintsu
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Looking at your other vehicle choices, they are all RWD platform ones. RX is FWD. Have you driven one to make sure this is the right type of a car for you?
If you're into modding, and sounds like you are, RX may not be the best fit. 4Runner or FX would be a better choice.
I like the RX, but I wouldn't want one as a DD for me.
Some options for its replacement I'm looking at are the 4Runner Limited, Lexus GX and Audi Q7.
4Runner has such a low depreciation rate that it would cost only half to operate than the other two, as well as the RX.
I drove an RX330 on a test drive some time back and liked it other than the lack of power from the 3.3L. On a recent trip I rented a very new RAV4 and was surprised I liked it as much as I did. It was probably FWD since it was a rental. Are you talking about it from a standpoint of how it handles or just because my other options are RWD biased ones? They're only that just as a symptom of what I had eliminated. Japanese SUVs seem to go from FWD on the small stuff to RWD when it's bigger, but it's of no real importance to me unless they handle or drive drastically different (In AWD configurations). The RWD stuff I planned to lock in 4Hi when it got nasty out, like the 4Runner. I know FWD bias usually means little off-road capability and RWD bias can mean more off-road capability - but I will literally never do it. I wouldn't say no to having it, but I'd hate to get something I'll never use to its advantage but suffer from worse handling and gas mileage because I'm driving it on pavement as a compromise (Sorta like FJ Cruisers which I think are cool, but a really impractical choice for someone who has no intention to off-road).

What is it that you don't specifically care for on the RX? I do note most enthusiast magazines and such review crossovers with general disdain because they don't all handle like a sports car. If that's the reason, I have the Z06 for my fun handling needs. I need the SUV to haul things and be nice and comfortable, and ideally not suck a ton of gas. Of course better handling won't be rejected, but if it has less responsive steering or more body roll that seems of minimal concern to me. I used to drive a Cadillac DeVille years ago, I'm sure performance car enthusiasts would despise the play in the steering and the disconnected floaty feeling it had on the road. I loved that thing though, and that as probably 5 or 6 years ago when I had it. No idea why every young person my age has to be obsessed with handling on every vehicle. The Z06 has that in droves, and also is quite stiff and bouncy and loud. I drove it over 100 miles back on the expressway. My head did hurt a little from the noise, and that was with stock exhaust. That Cadillac was so isolated from road noise that it just felt like a big pillow going down the road. We sure won't see any Caddys like that ever again, that classic era of American luxury died off when the Crown Vic/Town Car finally bit the bullet.

If I could get away with it, I'd have my Z06 for the fun/sporty side and an LS460 AWD for the luxury. I'm far younger than the typical demographic for those cars but I love their executive and stately looks, just like a BMW 7-series or Mercedes S-class. Comfortable, smooth, quiet, powerful, and loaded with gadgets. Other ding dongs my age can enjoy beating themselves to death in their "cool" cars everywhere, like crappy Focus STs and the like. I can enjoy that, don't get me wrong, but I think most younger drivers have a lot of emphasis on handling.
Old 01-12-17, 08:03 AM
Shintsu
Rookie

Let me be the first one to put it out there - RX is a boring to drive car, hence why you see a certain driver demographics pattern.

P.S.
You want fun capable and efficient? Take a look at the Subaru lineup.
Heh, please see above

If I'm the kind of person who would enjoy an LS or DeVille, do you think I'd be satisfied with the RX (serious question, though I am guessing the answer is yes)? The fun on a car like those is in how executive it is, cheap cars can't ride that nice or quietly. I really appreciate that. Can you tell my first car was a Buick and I drove it for many years?

(Pic of said car above)
Old 01-12-17, 08:22 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

I get my own giddies from driving my crew cab 3/4 ton diesel F250 every day. High seating position, very comfortable and roomy interior with more than enough gadgets to keep me satisfied on the 4 mile trip to work and back every day. When I want to go pick up a used car some 3-4 hours away, my truck will pull that darn full-length trailer laden with the extra vehicle without even thinking anything is behind it. The roughly 7500 lb vehicle weight and stiff suspension in it gives me plenty of road-sticking sporty feeling while driving through our very hilly and curvy neighborhood every morning and evening.

HOWEVER, when I go out for errands with the wife, or when we go on a day-long local trip or long weekend trip, I LOVE driving the Lexus because it is like floating down the road with great comfort and good economy (especially in comparison to the diesel Excursion it replaced) -- we can have conversations in quietness, or just peacefully enjoy listening to the nice audio inside, and it has enough sporty feel to it to be satisfying for me when I'm in those more relaxed modes of driving. The 20mm wheel spacers I installed on the RXh made a noticeable improvement in body roll at a fairly low cost, too.
Old 01-12-17, 09:21 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

When I say FWD and RWD, I more-specifically refer to the architecture behind it.
FWD has engine mounted transversely with most of its weight riding on the front wheels, which are doing the bulk of the work. AWD in this case is an "after-thought" (I'd go as far as calling it a marketing scheme).
RWD requires engine to be longitudinally-mounted. This is what you're more used to. Weight is much better distributed and rear wheels can get all the power you want in this case, so the front can do more steering and less pulling.
FX, 4Runner, GX, Subarus, most BMWs and Audis, etc are built that way. Vehicle dynamics change drastically for those that care. This alone will have a direct correlation with the driver demographics.
I, myself, love the GX for what it is (except the rear door), while my wife prefers the looks of the RX.
If you don't want to haul a heavy SUV, Subaru Outback is a great alternative. And older 3.6R (non-CVT) have rear torque bias.
Love the manual and need cargo capacity? How about a used WRX hatchback? Or an '09 Outback XT?

RX is a great cruising vehicle, but not so much if it is taken through its paces.
Old 01-12-17, 10:08 AM
Shintsu
Rookie

When I say FWD and RWD, I more-specifically refer to the architecture behind it.
FWD has engine mounted transversely with most of its weight riding on the front wheels, which are doing the bulk of the work. AWD in this case is an "after-thought" (I'd go as far as calling it a marketing scheme).
RWD requires engine to be longitudinally-mounted. This is what you're more used to. Weight is much better distributed and rear wheels can get all the power you want in this case, so the front can do more steering and less pulling.
FX, 4Runner, GX, Subarus, most BMWs and Audis, etc are built that way. Vehicle dynamics change drastically for those that care. This alone will have a direct correlation with the driver demographics.
I, myself, love the GX for what it is (except the rear door), while my wife prefers the looks of the RX.
If you don't want to haul a heavy SUV, Subaru Outback is a great alternative. And older 3.6R (non-CVT) have rear torque bias.
Love the manual and need cargo capacity? How about a used WRX hatchback? Or an '09 Outback XT?

RX is a great cruising vehicle, but not so much if it is taken through its paces.
I think you have me a little mistaken, besides owning that Mustang GT this Corvette is my second RWD car. It's because it's RWD that it's under a cover not being driven right now. Most of my cars have been FWD. People decry them as so bad, but I don't really see the big fuss. I didn't see it when I had my Mustang, I probably drive far too tame to notice the differences. Ehh. I don't really see how FWD vs. RWD biased AWD makes either one a more or less "AWD" system than the other. The GX is a tank and due to it's height and more non-aerodynamic shape combined with the weight and the V8, it will never come near the RX. My Mustang got 18.7 MPG and I punched it plenty. My real old Buick with a 4 speed that was almost 2 tons got almost 20 MPG. Even the Buick had decent power with its supercharged V6. I have a problem with buying an SUV that gets dismal gas mileage, doesn't really handle well, and isn't that fast. It probably makes sense for someone hauling some stuff because those points become moot as they need something that can tow/haul. Crossovers like the RX are certainly not as well suited for towing anything, nor for any serious off-roading.

My brother is a Subaru fan, he had an older WRX that was built up quite a bit and has a very new WRX. I like the boxer sound and the looks, however most of Subarus cars are slow and look very bland. He bought his wife a fairly new Forester, I forget the exact year but it was an '11 or '12. Anyway, it was a total dog. She doesn't even care about power and said it was too slow. I found an '06 Forester 2.5 XT which has 250 HP or so, great looking dark blue, big hood scoop from the factory. Only an automatic, but 115k miles, lots of records, only $10k. Problem is per my brother, some guys on another car forum I asked, and on the Forester forums it's a given that at those miles it needs timing belt (not done), new gaskets (not done), and a new turbo (not done). Combined with the fact that it's $10k for an '06 and it needs all that I didn't even go look at it. Very disappointed. Subaru also had ringland failure from '08 to '12 on the 2.5 engines, definitely in the WRX but possibly in others too. So I wouldn't want any of those years. And because I want newer, that means '13+. Slim pickings if I don't want an ugly XV Crosstrek or a CVT Forester. A '13+ WRX hatch is low $20k which is far too much for the budget I set for myself.

The BMW X1 xDrive 28i is the only other different SUV that I found that could work that seems cool. But all the ones I found that were only slightly out of my price range have next to no service history. Unlike say this RX, I have no idea what service was done. And I have very little faith in German makes, considering I found what looked like a real nice Quattro wagon that got a new crankshaft at 55k miles and then at 80k miles got new pistons, connecting rods, and a new turbo. They look good, I test drove a B6 S4 with the stick and it was really cool. But it was 11-12 years old at the time, and had 138k miles on it. And the 4.2 V8's propensity to have guide rod failures terrified me far away from that car. German cars always seem to have some awful fatal flaw that kills them at or shortly after 100k miles. And for whatever reason, German car owners often don't maintain their cars as well as Lexus owners do (judging from available records when I look at used cars). I've looked at more German makes with service engine lights on, ticking, sputtering, burned out displays, etc. that I hardly even admire them anymore.

So what am I to do? The FX35 is my next closest thing I'd probably really enjoy. I wish the older ones didn't have melting dash problems, I found a clean '08 for $11.5k that looked great. But it lacks the nicer exterior, interior, and 7-speed auto with paddle shifts that I would want from the '09+. Honestly, there was a '11 RAV4 Limited V6 AWD near me that was black, loaded with every possible option including backup camera, and navigation for only $12.5k. But a RAV4 is absolutely nothing like a Lexus in appearance or features. It would be pretty quick though, it looked spotless, was one owner, and lots of records. 129k miles. There was a 2011 Acura MDX with Advance package I liked for $16.5k that had 120k miles. I do like the SH-AWD system and it has paddles and such, but I don't know how reliable it is stacked up to a Lexus.

Not trying to be negative, but I'm honestly not sure what else could even work. I'm all for fun to drive and can haul stuff, but I need reliable. I'd like decently powerful and not horrid on gas. And it needs to be '08 or newer.
Old 01-12-17, 10:44 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Lots of people have referred to the RX as a leather sofa on wheels though Lexus prefers LUV, or Luxury Utility Vehicle. Whatever you prefer, it works.

Shintsu,I think part of the problem in trying to find the RX equipped the way you want is geographical. Lexus typically builds them for a specific region based on popularity. The rain sensing wipers are part of the comfort package (along with HIDs) but it doesn't always happen that way. What you may need to do is expand your search area. You just might come across a 350 with ML. That option seemed to be more popular when the RX first came out. Same with HUD. Who knows, it could have a few more features than you initially wanted.

And you know I had to jump in with the comments about the RX being feminine. Yes, we've had multiple threads on the topic. It's a non-issue given the company around here. Black on black is definitely a more masculine color. But fair warning, your OCD will be off the charts. My RX300 was black. I swore after that never again. Oh, and I was very close to driving a manual C7 at Monticello Motor Club back in 2013. It was for the Stingray Precision Drive. But it had been a few years and the Corvette was unfamiliar to me. So I stuck with automatic. To this day I still can't figure out how I got the invitation

Good luck finding an RX.
Old 01-12-17, 11:06 AM
Shintsu
Rookie

Originally Posted by kitlz
Lots of people have referred to the RX as a leather sofa on wheels though Lexus prefers LUV, or Luxury Utility Vehicle. Whatever you prefer, it works.

Shintsu,I think part of the problem in trying to find the RX equipped the way you want is geographical. Lexus typically builds them for a specific region based on popularity. The rain sensing wipers are part of the comfort package (along with HIDs) but it doesn't always happen that way. What you may need to do is expand your search area. You just might come across a 350 with ML. That option seemed to be more popular when the RX first came out. Same with HUD. Who knows, it could have a few more features than you initially wanted.

And you know I had to jump in with the comments about the RX being feminine. Yes, we've had multiple threads on the topic. It's a non-issue given the company around here. Black on black is definitely a more masculine color. But fair warning, your OCD will be off the charts. My RX300 was black. I swore after that never again. Oh, and I was very close to driving a manual C7 at Monticello Motor Club back in 2013. It was for the Stingray Precision Drive. But it had been a few years and the Corvette was unfamiliar to me. So I stuck with automatic. To this day I still can't figure out how I got the invitation

Good luck finding an RX.
Hm I hadn't thought of that, I cap out at about 150 miles from my location. Much further becomes quite the journey and I'm not sure I'd be comfortable driving so far to see a car. Most of those options I mentioned after pondering on them more are highly unnecessary. I just think they're cool

Hope no offense was taken by my remarks! I was surprised when I searched and saw such discussions about the RX. Most other vehicles don't seem too contested for what gender prefers them or their makeup. Probably strikes me that lots of guys end up liking it but feel like they shouldn't and want to verify if it's "ok" to like it or if they'll be derided for driving it. I do see lots of women driving them, but to think on it I can't imagine anyone I know even making a passing remark on it. I think most people just see a Lexus and think it's nice, any further analysis into it is quite possibly projecting. Now, if you put a stick figure family on the back window or something then that might merit some prodding I haven't seen a guy driving a vehicle with those stickers on it yet.

I have yet to own a black car. Ha ha...I'm not sure to be scared or not. I know how they are about dirt, but they look so good when clean. Nothing looks more executive than a black car. Like you're a foreign dignitary or the president. I will say the '13-'15 RX does not look as good in black IMO, I like the other colors more with the trapezoid grille.
Old 01-12-17, 11:37 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Our RXh is our first dark car as well. All others have been either light blue or white. The Smoky Granite Mica appears to be black at a distance or at first glance. In the shade, closer up, it appears to be a deep bluish-black. Close up in the bright sun, though, you can see the dark bluish metal flake in the base color and it has a nice glimmer to it. Sometimes, though, in bright sun, it almost has a slight purplish hue to it. Overall, I like the color quite nicely. It DOES show dirt easily... AND water spots! This is the first vehicle we are keeping in the garage, and my wife does not go out more than about 3-4 times weekly, so it's not too difficult to keep it reasonably clean and respectful looking.
Attached Thumbnails Need help on deciding which RX to get-2010-rx450h.jpg  

Last edited by F250; 01-12-17 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-12-17, 12:13 PM
Shintsu
Rookie

Hmm I do not have a garage, I wonder if that would be a problem? I contemplated this when buying my Z06 and decided not to get black then. But on these Lexus RXs it just looks so good! I didn't care for the way black on the Vette hid the body shape some.
Old 01-12-17, 01:34 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

You don't want an older German car, unless you are mechanically-inclined and have time/will to deal with issues that come up. And stay away from X1 - they are rubbish.

From your remarks, it sounds like the RX would fit your needs. Have you looked at the 450h version? They depreciate quicker than 350 and you could snag a good deal on a better car. Extra bonus - good gas mileage.

P.S.
I could never get more than 18MPG on the RX350 loaners I had.
Old 01-12-17, 01:38 PM
F250
Lead Lap

If you're not going to park under trees, it shouldn't be a big issue. Trees overhead, though, will drive you crazy with both their droppings as well as droppings from the birds which frequent them. Some trees are obviously much worse than others, but any at all will create an ongoing saga for you. If you'll just have the car in the wide open air overhead, you might want to consider the clear 3M UV film for both the windshield and the sunroof glass for extra protection against UV degradation on the interior.
Old 01-12-17, 01:46 PM
Shintsu
Rookie

You don't want an older German car, unless you are mechanically-inclined and have time/will to deal with issues that come up. And stay away from X1 - they are rubbish.

From your remarks, it sounds like the RX would fit your needs. Have you looked at the 450h version? They depreciate quicker than 350 and you could snag a good deal on a better car. Extra bonus - good gas mileage.

P.S.
I could never get more than 18MPG on the RX350 loaners I had.
Oh I don't doubt it. Wish it weren't true, I like the E39 M5 particularly but that Vanos system sounds like a nightmare. A CTS-V would be a decent enough approximation without the insane maintenance regimen.

The only bad thing about the 450h is I have no idea how reliable a hybrid is. Plus they're CVT, right? Nissan lost lots of respect from me for basically putting CVTs in almost every car they make. I'm not sure if I'd be content to drive something like that, but the only CVT thing I have driven was an Altima 2.5 rental car. I was fine with the car itself but I don't like to hear the engine wail at max RPM when I step on it.
Originally Posted by F250
If you're not going to park under trees, it shouldn't be a big issue. Trees overhead, though, will drive you crazy with both their droppings as well as droppings from the birds which frequent them. Some trees are obviously much worse than others, but any at all will create an ongoing saga for you. If you'll just have the car in the wide open air overhead, you might want to consider the clear 3M UV film for both the windshield and the sunroof glass for extra protection against UV degradation on the interior.
Well, this is problematic. I am absolutely going to be parking under a tree, and on my current silver Nissan it irritates me to no end that I want to cut it down...but I'm not allowed to. Flower pedals in the spring, then the stems, birds crap on the cars under it, leaves get everywhere at fall time. Right about now is the only time the tree doesn't tick me off. This makes me think I really will go nuts if I buy a black car in these conditions. I just don't know how hard it is to maintain, like washing it every day? We had a construction site down the street for several months that really ticked me off too, they spread so much nasty dirt in the air that it ended up making dust coatings on all the cars. I had to wash them probably every 3-4 days. They're done now thank goodness, but now I'm remembering why I decided against a black Vette...ergh, but the appeal is so good. Darn...
Old 01-12-17, 01:56 PM
F250
Lead Lap

We used to keep our white Excursion under a huge oak tree which was right beside the driveway where my wife parked. I would often, especially in spring time, have to pull out the water hose and at least rinse it off before I could even drive off somewhere in the morning. I was always fighting crud buildup on top of the door seals, in the roof indentations, and all over the wiper cowl. That particular oak also drops tiny pinpoint driplets of tree sap thoughout the winter, and even though they rinse back off easily with just water, it was always a pain because I can't stand having anything on my windshield.
Old 01-12-17, 02:03 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Toyota hybrids are classified as CVTs, but they are NOT!
It's a fully-integrated system and, technically, there is no transmission, but a PSD (power-split-device):
http://eahart.com/prius/psd/
It works similarly to a differential and is made to last.
The torque delivery is immediate. Beats RX350 right out of the water.
It is an odd feeling driving the 350 after 450h, with all the gear-changing and everything.

Quick Reply: Need help on deciding which RX to get