RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2015 RX 350 - just purchased

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-17, 11:43 AM
jaw2009
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2015 RX 350 - just purchased

Ok, so, quick background, I am not a big SUV fan, but I need a total hip replacement and getting in and out of sedans is tough on my hip. I had looked closely at the Mercedes GLC - really liked it, but the RX 350 with about 8500 miles on it fell into my lap, got a great price and am very happy, it's a vanilla driver (meaning not overly responsive) but I'll live.

I did not have a window sticker so I don't know all it has. Today, was raining, and after I turned on the wipers, and adjusted them to a good intermittent speed they took over for themselves (so I guess I have rain sensing). A few issues - the doors don't always lock the car when I grasp the handle, I have to get the fob and click it.

Remote starting, I don't have it, sad, is an easy self install item? If not, how much to have a dealer do it? Or my local mechanic?

Oil - is this one synthetic preferred? My wife's HS 250C (or whatever it is) is a synthetic only car.

The `15's take regular fuel correct? And, I am getting about 19 MPG for now - is that normal? I will admit to not a lot of higher speed driving and some stop and go, but I had hoped for about 21 or so - wishful thinking?

I was able to get XM to give me a 3 month demo of both radio and maps - I can see traffic - but only on main highways - so I assume that's user error - how to correct for more traffic data?

Can't seem to get weather to work - again likely user error.

Car has carpet mats, should I get a set of the factory rubber mats as well? I seem to put a heel hole in the carpet mats in about 18 months or so - I assume that would be corrected if I at worst swapped out for rubber in the wintertime?

The car is full time 4wd? I seem to recall a hub lock switch ? does this mean it's 2 WD if I don't engage it?

Anyway, please feel free to share any other tips - I am all ears!

Thanks for your time.
Old 01-03-17, 11:51 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Congratulations, and welcome to CL.

Door lock - just rest your ringer over the top of the rice-grain shaped indention near the top front of the handle and give it about 2-3 seconds, and it should lock. It only UNlocks when grasping the handle as if you were opening the door. At least, that's the way my 2010 is.

Remote start - can;t help you there, but someone will chime in soon.

Oil -- YES, synthetic.

Fuel -- big discussion point among many, but I believe that regular fuel is acceptable for your 2015.

XM & Traffic - again, I can't help here.

Floor mats - Personally, I am very partial to the Weathertech floor liners. Excellent coverage and fit.

AWD/4WD - Not sure, but I suspect that it is full time and that the switch is only for "enhanced" traction and is not a hub lock or "shift on the fly" feature. Someone will certainly correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 01-03-17, 12:07 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

AWD/4WD (technically both and neither) - it is part-time only. It is only good for starting from standstill.
RX350 has a "lock" button which attempts to get the rear wheels engaged for as long as possible, up to certain speed.
It is good for getting up a snowy driveway, but that's about it. RX spends most of its time in FWD mode.
All fully automatic - no hub locks and whatnot.

I never had any good luck with XM traffic in our area in both our vehicles, so I can't say whether it is any good.
Old 01-03-17, 12:26 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Nothing in the glove box? Thick folder with owner's manual, etc. Remote starter can be had by a mobile electronic shop for ~300.00 vs. Lexus' ~1000.00. After market one has better range, If one is handy with basic electronics knowledge can be DIY. A module and a dozen or so wires to hook up under dash. When wrking under dash be careful with fat yellow cable which is for air bag. . Rain sensor is always finicky when it rains.
Old 01-04-17, 06:53 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Congrats on your RX.. So you're aware when you engage the "All Wheel Drive Lock Switch" on the center console it will automatically disengage when you reach 25mph. Also, If I remember correctly it also disengages when you apply the brakes.

BTW - If your dealer didn't supply you with the owners manual have them order one for you.. You're going to want it..
Old 01-04-17, 07:11 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Manuals are available online at LexusDrivers... A bit easier to search than the hardback version.
Old 01-04-17, 07:48 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Congrats on your purchase!

I'll take a shot at these:

Originally Posted by jaw2009
Ok, so, quick background, I am not a big SUV fan, but I need a total hip replacement and getting in and out of sedans is tough on my hip. I had looked closely at the Mercedes GLC - really liked it, but the RX 350 with about 8500 miles on it fell into my lap, got a great price and am very happy, it's a vanilla driver (meaning not overly responsive) but I'll live.

I did not have a window sticker so I don't know all it has. Today, was raining, and after I turned on the wipers, and adjusted them to a good intermittent speed they took over for themselves (so I guess I have rain sensing). A few issues - the doors don't always lock the car when I grasp the handle, I have to get the fob and click it.
A word about the auto sensing wipers. When in AUTO mode (first stalk position), the intermittent timer/dial is used to adjust the sensitivity.

Remote starting, I don't have it, sad, is an easy self install item? If not, how much to have a dealer do it? Or my local mechanic?
There are after market solutions out there for this. You shouldn't have a hard time finding a good one at a reasonable price, but know that with Lexus and remote start systems, the engine will turn off when you open the door. Kind of silly.

Oil - is this one synthetic preferred? My wife's HS 250C (or whatever it is) is a synthetic only car.
Synthetic indeed.

The `15's take regular fuel correct? And, I am getting about 19 MPG for now - is that normal? I will admit to not a lot of higher speed driving and some stop and go, but I had hoped for about 21 or so - wishful thinking?
Lexus made the switch, I believe in 2012, to recommending regular fuel in the RX. Some people prefer to use premium, but per Lexus, the minimum required is regular. For an AWD model, the EPA rating is 18 city, 24 highway. We usually averaged around 18-19 around town and 23-25 on trips.

I was able to get XM to give me a 3 month demo of both radio and maps - I can see traffic - but only on main highways - so I assume that's user error - how to correct for more traffic data?

Can't seem to get weather to work - again likely user error.
XM does not provide traffic data for side streets. Only major highways. Kind of a let down. As for weather, it always worked okay for me, so I am not sure what to suggest.

Car has carpet mats, should I get a set of the factory rubber mats as well? I seem to put a heel hole in the carpet mats in about 18 months or so - I assume that would be corrected if I at worst swapped out for rubber in the wintertime?
I prefer carpet, even if it means replacing my carpet mats every few years, but it's total user preference.

The car is full time 4wd? I seem to recall a hub lock switch ? does this mean it's 2 WD if I don't engage it?
As other have noted, it's essentially an "on demand" system. During acceleration or slipping, it'll engage the rear wheels, but otherwise resorts back to FWD to save fuel. The lock switch will keep all four wheels engaged to 25 mph.

Anyway, please feel free to share any other tips - I am all ears!

Thanks for your time.
Enjoy your RX! I don't have mine anymore, but we really loved it!
Old 01-04-17, 02:08 PM
jaw2009
Driver School Candidate

Many thanks to all. Lot's of good info here and throughout the site. I do have the manuals but I find for me anyway, that 'figuring it out' makes me learn it better and keep the knowledge longer (or, being a male, I don't want my buddies making fun of me for reading the manual).

I have consulted it and I have obtained some good information - but as another poster suggested it's a lot to go through - I really like the e-version of these things much easier to search and find what you want. So, thanks for that tip!

Also appreciate all the information provided in relation to my questions/comments - all have been helpful supposed to get some snow soon - so may have a chance to try it out - but as I have aged I tend to stay off the roads - it's safer and I am just not hurries to get anywhere anymore - thank goodness for telework.
Old 01-04-17, 02:43 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

just curious, why did you talk yourself out of the GLC?
Old 01-04-17, 03:05 PM
Buzzer777
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default A brochure for your R X

I always like to have a brochure for my autos..
Here is a link for yours!
http://www.auto-brochures.com/makes/...%20RX_2015.pdf
Old 01-04-17, 07:10 PM
jaw2009
Driver School Candidate

There were a few things. I had a cap on much I wanted to spend, I don't like forced premium fuel, I have one merc that costs me that way, did not need two! And future repair cost, mercs and other German cars just cost more to own.

all that said, I loved the car, but they were not budging on year old demos with 8 to 10 k miles on them, like they wanted about 7% off msrp, seriously, for a year old used car.
Old 01-04-17, 07:11 PM
jaw2009
Driver School Candidate

thanks, very much appreciated, enjoyed looking that brochure over.
Old 01-04-17, 08:36 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by jaw2009
There were a few things. I had a cap on much I wanted to spend, I don't like forced premium fuel, I have one merc that costs me that way, did not need two! And future repair cost, mercs and other German cars just cost more to own.

all that said, I loved the car, but they were not budging on year old demos with 8 to 10 k miles on them, like they wanted about 7% off msrp, seriously, for a year old used car.
German cars are more fun to drive, LOL! RX is just comfortable car for retired guy like me, a senior on the wrong side of age 70. So you did try to get CPO coverage?
When I purchased 2015 RX450h I insisted on including CPO. Wife likes it saying seat is so comfy. She always complained when I had Porsche Cayenne, BMW X5, Audi Q7. She drives her own vehicle. We only ride together on Sundays going to church. Kids and I tried to get her in a Audi Q3 or BMW X1. Funny thing is she must like a seat absolutely no matter what car she is looking at.
Old 01-05-17, 12:50 AM
Buzzer777
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default You can also get an equipment list!

Originally Posted by Htony
German cars are more fun to drive, LOL! RX is just comfortable car for retired guy like me, a senior on the wrong side of age 70. So you did try to get CPO coverage?
When I purchased 2015 RX450h I insisted on including CPO. Wife likes it saying seat is so comfy. She always complained when I had Porsche Cayenne, BMW X5, Audi Q7. She drives her own vehicle. We only ride together on Sundays going to church. Kids and I tried to get her in a Audi Q3 or BMW X1. Funny thing is she must like a seat absolutely no matter what car she is looking at.
You can get an equipment/option list from your dealer...you can get it yourself from Lexus too (they look it up by VIN)! One option I have come to enjoy are the Heated/VENTILATED seats...especially in the HOT Nevada summers..
I am right there with you..(RIGHT side of 70 LOL!) and I got my 2013 RX last August..Mostly for comfort too! I also got mine w/CPO...Can sleep alot better!
Old 01-05-17, 05:21 AM
jaw2009
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Htony
I wanted the Cayenne - but it was out of my comfort zone price wise - still have 2 kids in school - actually one graduates tomorrow. I went to CarMax to demo and sit in several vehicles, including the RX, Audi Q5, BMW X3, an infiniti, and the Volvo XC60 - there may have others as well.

The X3 felt the best. The RX was second.

About me, I had 3 goals (not including a price limit that I was not planning to go over). In order:
1. head room and leg room - I am about 6'3" and need all I can get.
2. the inside needed to sound like the inside of a tomb - quiet as possible, I am deaf, wear hearing aids in both ears - hearing aids pick up a ton of noise that normal hearing screens out and normal ears hear but don't register - road noise, wind noise, rattles, etc (heck, probably some sounds that are really not ever there!).
3. MPG, I wanted to average at least 22.

So with the RX I got the first 2 and while I have not (only on my first paid for tank of gas - second overall), I am at 19.5 but because I use regular and save about $10 per tankful it's really slightly to my advantage, despite the lower MPG, but I should also have much lower repair costs, I can use my regular mechanic (who sadly shuns euro cars), and I have more room for crap when we go to the beach!

All in all I think it was a win win - the Merc would have been more fun to drive but I am in the DC burbs - not too many 'fun' places to driver around here.

I did not get CPO, as I got the car from my infiniti dealer (I have had 2 of them), but based on the mileage at sale (8500) and consumer reports ratings plus my mechanics review and recommendation - I think I should be ok without it - time will tell. Now, had I got a used GLC, I would have gotten CPO - no question about it (I say based on owning 1 Merc now).

Quick Reply: 2015 RX 350 - just purchased