RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Driver's side rear shock replaced AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-16, 10:52 AM
CookieRoe
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Driver's side rear shock replaced AGAIN

Hello all,

Had the rear driver's side shock absorber (or strut, can't remember) replace under warranty in July 2015. Took the rig into get service (at Toyota) and was told THAT shock was leaking and needed to be replaced. Lexus dealer tells me the car is no longer under warranty so it could be on me. I have to say, I'm not impressed with the reliability of this gen RX. Our 1st gen RX was more reliable than this. Tomorrow I head to the Lexus dealer to find out if they will cover it.

Anybody else go through the same situation?
Old 12-07-16, 11:01 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

The OEM shock is only about $40 delivered from one of the discount online Lexus dealers such as myLparts.com or lexuspartsnow.com
The installation cost should be about half an hour per shock. I replaced both of mine in my garage with a floor jack in less than an hour.
It is so easy to replace, just buy one online and take it to any local gas station as they can easily handle this at a much lower hourly rate than a dealer.
The following users liked this post:
RobertGift (01-12-17)
Old 12-07-16, 11:56 AM
CookieRoe
Driver

Originally Posted by Clutchless
The OEM shock is only about $40 delivered from one of the discount online Lexus dealers such as myLparts.com or lexuspartsnow.com
The installation cost should be about half an hour per shock. I replaced both of mine in my garage with a floor jack in less than an hour.
It is so easy to replace, just buy one online and take it to any local gas station as they can easily handle this at a much lower hourly rate than a dealer.
Toyota quoted me $45 and $75 to install. Not bad since I don't have the time/proper jack stand to do the job. Anyway, I find it absurd that it go bad after 1.5 years of use. Hopefully Lexus replaces it gratis, if not, back to Toyota.

Thanks for the response! Next time (hopefully not), I'll do what you suggest (buy online and have an indy shop do the work)
Old 12-07-16, 12:00 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by CookieRoe
Toyota quoted me $45 and $75 to install. Not bad since I don't have the time/proper jack stand to do the job. Anyway, I find it absurd that it go bad after 1.5 years of use. Hopefully Lexus replaces it gratis, if not, back to Toyota.

Thanks for the response! Next time (hopefully not), I'll do what you suggest (buy online and have an indy shop do the work)
Call the corporate: 800-25LEXUS
They have been great at going an extra mile for me when I needed help with my vehicles
Old 12-07-16, 12:34 PM
CookieRoe
Driver

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Call the corporate: 800-25LEXUS
They have been great at going an extra mile for me when I needed help with my vehicles
Didn't think of that. I'll call them if Dealer doesn't make it right.

Thank you!
Old 12-07-16, 12:37 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

It could be worse, just think how many times you'd be in the shop if you owned a Dodge! If that's the worst problem you've had with a Lexus I wouldn't be too concerned. All makes have some sort of issue but this shock issue is minor compared to what happens with other brands. Go look at the Cadillac forum and see what issues their having with the new $90k CT6's!
Old 12-07-16, 12:50 PM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

Didn't think of that. I'll call them if Dealer doesn't make it right.

Thank you!
Certainly!
Another option is to post in Lexus Customer Service forum that is not a part of CL:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...r-service-271/
Old 12-07-16, 01:13 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by vlad_a
Certainly!
Another option is to post in Lexus Customer Service forum that is not a part of CL:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...r-service-271/
I'd skip that at the moment, Lexus isn't very active due to turnover. Call them instead.
Old 12-08-16, 01:02 PM
CookieRoe
Driver

Well, it turns out the broken shock isn't the drivers side (which was replaced last year), but the passenger side (never replaced to my knowledge). I had them take me to the car while it was on the lift. The shock was completely wet. UUrghh. Lexus wants $330 plus tax. Toyota wants something like $125.

Another issue popped up: They say the timing belt cover is leaking. Sure enough, they shined a light into the side of the motor (passenger side) and saw what looked like relatively new oil on the side of the motor. Something I left out, I have the Toyota dealer a day before change the oil and filter. I think it's a major overlook if Toyota didn't see it, or maybe it's as simple as the tech spilling some oil while filling it???????? Anyway, the Lexus dealer quoted me $3,300 to repair it. They are going to talk to Lexus corporate (the one who handles extended warranty) to see if they will warranty it. Our warranty ran out in April 2015, I'm not going to hold me breath. I have an indy shop in mind to do the repair if indeed the timing belt cover is leaking. So yeah,.............

I'm very discouraged at the Lexus reliability we are experiencing with this rig. I still stand by it, but...............................

I'll update as this goes .
Old 12-08-16, 06:50 PM
Zmon
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Well, it turns out the broken shock isn't the drivers side (which was replaced last year), but the passenger side (never replaced to my knowledge). I had them take me to the car while it was on the lift. The shock was completely wet. UUrghh. Lexus wants $330 plus tax. Toyota wants something like $125.

Another issue popped up: They say the timing belt cover is leaking. Sure enough, they shined a light into the side of the motor (passenger side) and saw what looked like relatively new oil on the side of the motor. Something I left out, I have the Toyota dealer a day before change the oil and filter. I think it's a major overlook if Toyota didn't see it, or maybe it's as simple as the tech spilling some oil while filling it???????? Anyway, the Lexus dealer quoted me $3,300 to repair it. They are going to talk to Lexus corporate (the one who handles extended warranty) to see if they will warranty it. Our warranty ran out in April 2015, I'm not going to hold me breath. I have an indy shop in mind to do the repair if indeed the timing belt cover is leaking. So yeah,.............

I'm very discouraged at the Lexus reliability we are experiencing with this rig. I still stand by it, but...............................

I'll update as this goes .
I'd clean it up first before deciding the timing cover is leaking. May just be a spill, as you mentioned, as it was just changed.
Old 12-09-16, 06:55 AM
CookieRoe
Driver

Originally Posted by Zmon
I'd clean it up first before deciding the timing cover is leaking. May just be a spill, as you mentioned, as it was just changed.
No doubt. I did call Toyota and will get the engine looked at. (trying to get the tech who worked on it to see if maybe he spilled some oil or he just completely didn't see it).

Thanks everyone for your replies!

saga continues........ LOL.
Old 12-09-16, 06:57 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

its a piece of cake to replace them yourself. get the kyb, much smoother ride than oem tokico shocks..by the way, i still have my oem rear shocks i took off mine. no leaks and very clean, and only 28k on them. if you want them you can have them free.
The following users liked this post:
heshamos (09-23-18)
Old 12-09-16, 08:25 AM
Clutchless

Here is some information on the infamous timing cover oil leak. http://carspecmn.com/toyota-and-lexu...nd-highlander/

If just a small leak, I would just monitor it as it probably will take years to get much worse.
I can think of better things to do with $3000. Maybe trade for a different vehicle....

Last edited by Clutchless; 12-09-16 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-12-16, 10:13 AM
CookieRoe
Driver

Originally Posted by lexus114
its a piece of cake to replace them yourself. get the kyb, much smoother ride than oem tokico shocks..by the way, i still have my oem rear shocks i took off mine. no leaks and very clean, and only 28k on them. if you want them you can have them free.
Thank you very much for your offer! If I were doing them myself, I would say let's do it, but I'm having Benette Toyota do them (1/3 cost with OEM parts........ total WIN, plus a warranty). So the KYBs are smoother? Good to know if they fail in the future. (hopefully not)

Originally Posted by Clutchless
Here is some information on the infamous timing cover oil leak. http://carspecmn.com/toyota-and-lexu...nd-highlander/

If just a small leak, I would just monitor it as it probably will take years to get much worse.
I can think of better things to do with $3000. Maybe trade for a different vehicle....
"infamous timing cover leak".............. Geeze, so it's a documented (known) issue?

Well, I got a call from the dealer and they told me that Lexus would foot the bill for the leaking timing cover (not including the shock). That's is huge as it gets being that the warranty expired, then again, I wonder if they took into consideration that our family has been customers since 1991 and have bought 5 Lexus vehicles since then (2 LS400s, 1 RX300, 1RX350, 1 ES350). Whatever the case:

Lexus confidence RESTORED!
Old 12-12-16, 11:37 AM
Clutchless

I used to do lemon law work for a couple of Japanese car companies and it does help you obtain better coverage from the dealer like you did if you are a loyal repeat purchaser and service department customer. They will recommend Lexus cover things that they may not recommend for a first time or infrequent customer.
I am curious as to how far out of warranty you are? Was it by time or mileage? I think the longer power train warranty may apply to the timing cover, but have not researched that issue.

Quick Reply: Driver's side rear shock replaced AGAIN