RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Driver's side rear shock replaced AGAIN

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-16, 11:54 AM
CookieRoe
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Lexus Proud

Originally Posted by Clutchless
I used to do lemon law work for a couple of Japanese car companies and it does help you obtain better coverage from the dealer like you did if you are a loyal repeat purchaser and service department customer. They will recommend Lexus cover things that they may not recommend for a first time or infrequent customer.
I am curious as to how far out of warranty you are? Was it by time or mileage? I think the longer power train warranty may apply to the timing cover, but have not researched that issue.
Warranty ran out March 2015, not sure of mileage (currently at 69,950). Bought the RX CPO (damn thing still cost my father something like $50K) in 2010. The car only had something like 20K on the clock and several months old. Noteworthy: this isn't the first time this rig has been in for work. As previously mentioned, a shock was replaced last year in July 2015, roof rack bolts were replaced (rusty), water pump was replaced last year as well and other work that was done under warranty that I can't think of right now. We love this RX, but it certainly hasn't been the bulletproof Lexus we are used to.

After this experience and how we were treated, we will no doubt continue to be Lexus customers for a long time.
Old 12-13-16, 09:13 AM
CookieRoe
Driver

My father's ride (and sporadically mine) for the next few days. Nice, but it's no RX.

Old 01-11-17, 11:16 AM
CookieRoe
Driver

Here's a pic of the passenger side rear shock. So yeah, it was leaking. Will get replaced soon at Toyota dealer soon.

Rear Passenger Shock RX350
Old 01-12-17, 01:55 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

what is the sound like? I hear this very quick sound when you go over speed bumps. Not when it hits it. But when it comes down from it. It's a quick sound of wet finger wiping down a squeaky clean plastic container after washing it thoroughly. Less than 1/4 of a second and gone after that. For those of you who do dishes once in a while I think you know what that sound it.
Old 01-12-17, 01:58 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

I doubt your noise has anything to do with the rear shocks. It may be the rear control arm bushings. The shocks can be checked in 10 seconds by looking under the car with a flashlight. Well, you have to crawl under the rear of the car....
The following users liked this post:
MellonC00 (06-15-17)
Old 01-13-17, 02:01 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

I'd like to do that but I can't tell what's what. I looked at CookieRoe's pic above and can't tell where the oil is is.
Old 01-14-17, 12:48 AM
ThChinaman
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It should have a shining look to it of the shock is leaking pretty badly. These photos are from my LX but it should look about the same for the RX. The first would be a really bad leak and the second of being very slightly leaking. Hopefully yours are not this bad.

The following users liked this post:
MellonC00 (01-18-17)
Old 01-16-17, 10:46 AM
CookieRoe
Driver

Originally Posted by MellonC00
what is the sound like? I hear this very quick sound when you go over speed bumps. Not when it hits it. But when it comes down from it. It's a quick sound of wet finger wiping down a squeaky clean plastic container after washing it thoroughly. Less than 1/4 of a second and gone after that. For those of you who do dishes once in a while I think you know what that sound it.
Like something was loose. Read next quote.

I doubt your noise has anything to do with the rear shocks. It may be the rear control arm bushings. The shocks can be checked in 10 seconds by looking under the car with a flashlight. Well, you have to crawl under the rear of the car....
Completely Agree. I had heard the noise on the other side, but the "silent side" was where the bad shock was located. So, that "loosey" "clanging sound is something else. It's a very subdued "clang", but it's there.

I'd like to do that but I can't tell what's what. I looked at CookieRoe's pic above and can't tell where the oil is is.
Really? I thought it would stick out like a sore thumb, LOL. Look at where I ran my finger down the shock. Grease and caked on dirt came off. Note the blue horizontal line. You can only see this line thanks to me wiping it off.
Old 01-18-17, 11:19 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

I get it now. So, it's not like an engine oil leaking. Rather, it's a bit of caked on oil/grime that accumulate over time. I will check it out. Thanks for the explanation.
Old 01-18-17, 12:21 PM
CookieRoe
Driver

I get it now. So, it's not like an engine oil leaking. Rather, it's a bit of caked on oil/grime that accumulate over time. I will check it out. Thanks for the explanation.
No problem! Thankfully, the shocks are cheap. At least over at Toyota they are, LOL.
Old 06-15-17, 11:50 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

I took it to the dealer today and the shop foreman said that same thing. I'm waiting to hear back to see if they replaced the entire the control arm because the darn thing is expensive. The car is under warranty and it would be interesting to find out what they do. I'd hate to see "lubricated chassis......" type notes..........