RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Aftermarket Wheels - Larger Width, different offset than OEM, is that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-16, 09:39 AM
MilkyTech
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Wheels - Larger Width, different offset than OEM, is that bad?

I'm looking for a set of wheels for my 2012 RX350. When I look up the oem wheel size on wheel-size.com, it shows that my stock 18" wheels are 7.5" width with +35 offset. When I look for new wheels for my specific car on tirerack, they only list 8" or 8.5" wheels with the same offset of 35. Will I have issues with any of these rims I am looking at on craigslist:
  • Enkei RPF1 18x9 +35
  • Enkei RZ-5 18x8.5 +24
  • Enkei EV5 18x7.5 +45
Will any or all of these be fine on my car?

Last edited by MilkyTech; 11-19-16 at 01:03 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 11-19-16, 06:50 PM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

The offset on any of these should not be a problem, though the 9" width is too much if the tires you have now are correct for current rims. If you are going to get new tires, just be sure the new size calls for a rim width inclusive of 9". If you pick any tire on TR and choose "sizes" you will get the required rim width for any size of that model tire.
Old 11-20-16, 11:01 AM
MilkyTech
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I do plan on getting new tires for them. I guess its just a matter of who gives me the best deal!
Old 11-20-16, 11:28 AM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Sounds good, tech. Your RX originally had 235/60/18, and they were 29.1" in diameter. You need to stay close to the height to prevent odometer/speedometer discrepancies. Also, if you were to go with a much taller tire, it will hurt your acceleration off the line. One inch difference is no big deal, but more than that can be. A 255/55/18 is the same height, is a bit wider, and fits fine on any of the above wheel choices.

You might want to get an idea of pricing on tirerack, even if you don't buy from them. I found, in one case, that the local Firestone shop would price match Tirerack, and it was a great deal.

good luck,

Jim
Old 11-21-16, 07:45 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Play with the numbers on the British site willtheyfit.com
Offset is a function of width. It seems that virtually no one understands this. They have a cool graphic that helps you see the differences in "poke" etc.
I put 19" Enkeis on mine and they are great. They are wider and poke out more but they are nowhere near hitting the fenders or the suspension.
Old 11-21-16, 08:26 AM
vlad_a
Lexus Champion

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

If you keep the same offset, the center of the wheel will stay the same. I wouldn't go much wider than 8" on the rim.
Old 11-21-16, 08:40 AM
MilkyTech
Driver School Candidate

I wouldn't go much wider than 8" on the rim.
I'm inclined to agree. I just put the 9" through the calculator on willtheyfit.com with 245/45/18 and it came up with a poke of an additional 19mm in both directions!
Why is it coming up with 38mm wider than my stock wheel/tire combo (235/60/18x7.5) when the tire is only 10mm wider and 245mm is still wider than 9"??

Could there be an issue with the wheel contacting the brake/hub components?

Last edited by MilkyTech; 11-21-16 at 08:42 AM. Reason: added a question
Old 11-21-16, 10:50 AM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

Received 1,200 Likes on 1,026 Posts

I have 8 inch wheels in 19 inch diameter with wider tires 255/50/19 and like the set up. Mine have the stock offset and are hub centric. The Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrical All Season tires have proved to be a great tire and are not available in our stock size. I highly recommend going to a wider tire if you get an 8 inch wheel.
Old 11-21-16, 11:38 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MilkyTech
I'm inclined to agree. I just put the 9" through the calculator on willtheyfit.com with 245/45/18 and it came up with a poke of an additional 19mm in both directions!
Why is it coming up with 38mm wider than my stock wheel/tire combo (235/60/18x7.5) when the tire is only 10mm wider and 245mm is still wider than 9"??

Could there be an issue with the wheel contacting the brake/hub components?
It's the width of the wheel. 9" > 7.5"
By how much? 1.5" leaving you with 0.75" = 19mm on either side*
*(only shared evenly because you selected the same offset). Changing the offset affects where that 38mm needs to be taken up. It will either poke farther out or suck them farther in but that difference must go somewhere.
The tires are rubber and will stretch or balloon around differing wheel widths.

I went from a 19x7.5 (+35) if stock is actually +35mm... I can't recall, 100%
To a 19x8.5 (+35) and kept the same, stock 235/55/19 tire size. I have no issues. In my opinion, 7.5" is on the narrow side for a 235mm tire, so I had no hesitation going to 8.5". I think 9" would still be "OK" and anything more than that is getting to a bit of a stretch, although it would still work. 10" and up starts to become comical "stance" loser territory.
Old 11-21-16, 11:46 AM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Milky,
I have relied upon tirerack for years. I have no need to go to the British site, though I am sure it is quite accurate. Since I do not use "poke" terminology...38mm is 1.496", which is the diff between your current wheels and the ones you are comparing, right?

Why are you looking at 245/45/18???? Those tires will be a mess on your car. That tire is only 26.6" tall, which is 2.5" shorter than stock. You are looking at nearly a 12% variance. At an indicated 70mph, you will be going 62mph. You will also raise your engine rpm's at 70 mph by about 260 rpm...worse mileage, and more work for your engine. It's your choice, but you are going to seriously change the performance characteristics of your vehicle if you put that tire on, regardless of what wheel you use.

If you want to use an 18" wheel, and not change the performance characteristics, or the odometer/speedometer readings, you will need to go with 255/55/18. Compared to stock, it has a wider tread, same height, and works on 9" diameter wheels.

I understand wanting to get all the info you can, but conversion tables don't give you all the info. All you have to do is look up the tire sizes on TR and it will give you the acceptable wheel width, the height, and the tread width. If you choose tire size 255/55/18, it will show you all the tires they sell in that size. Then, pick a tire, and click on "specs", and it will show you all the info on the tire.
Old 11-21-16, 11:52 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 11bravo
Milky,
I have relied upon tirerack for years. I have no need to go to the British site, though I am sure it is quite accurate. Since I do not use "poke" terminology...38mm is 1.496", which is the diff between your current wheels and the ones you are comparing, right?

Why are you looking at 245/45/18???? Those tires will be a mess on your car. That tire is only 26.6" tall, which is 2.5" shorter than stock. You are looking at nearly a 12% variance. At an indicated 70mph, you will be going 62mph. You will also raise your engine rpm's at 70 mph by about 260 rpm...worse mileage, and more work for your engine. It's your choice, but you are going to seriously change the performance characteristics of your vehicle if you put that tire on, regardless of what wheel you use.

If you want to use an 18" wheel, and not change the performance characteristics, or the odometer/speedometer readings, you will need to go with 255/55/18. Compared to stock, it has a wider tread, same height, and works on 9" diameter wheels.

I understand wanting to get all the info you can, but conversion tables don't give you all the info. All you have to do is look up the tire sizes on TR and it will give you the acceptable wheel width, the height, and the tread width. If you choose tire size 255/55/18, it will show you all the tires they sell in that size. Then, pick a tire, and click on "specs", and it will show you all the info on the tire.
^Agree. With Tire Rack, you enter your 201_ Lexus RX350 in 18" and it lets you know what will fit. They won't show you tire/wheel combo's that throw your speedo way off.
It's a surprisingly complex thing to get a handle on for a casual consumer. Don't try to learn everything right now and end up buying something that doesn't fit.
Old 11-21-16, 03:20 PM
MilkyTech
Driver School Candidate

It's the width of the wheel. 9" > 7.5"
I figured that out but I also thought my biggest concern with "poke" was the tire rubbing the fender or wheel well, but I see now the rim can eventually come into contact with the strut if the width/offset are not within limits.
Why are you looking at 245/45/18?
That is the tire (almost new) that is already on the 9" wheels I'm looking at. Now I think I may get these for my '01 Chrysler 300M which has 225/55/17 (almost exactly the same combined wheel/tire height of 26.75"), and maybe look for 19" wheels with a lower profile tire for the RX350.
Old 11-21-16, 04:58 PM
11bravo
Pit Crew

"I went from a 19x7.5 (+35) if stock is actually +35mm... I can't recall, 100%
To a 19x8.5 (+35) and kept the same, stock 235/55/19 tire size."

Whether you used a guide, or just figured it in your head, you came up with the correct, though widest, width recommended for that tire. The sweet spot is 8", but 8.5" is okay, according to TR. Tire installers check the guidelines any time they see a non-stock tire or wheel, so I don't believe they would mount those on a 9" rim. The sides would be a bit "balooned", which might result in cupping, as well as loss of air if the wheel hit something, like a curb, with force. I'm just speculating on that, though.

Yes, it is a lot to take in when you are fairly new at tire shopping. It is worth it, though, as a better-educated buyer will not let a salesperson just sell them whatever they most in stock, or what they make the greatest margin on, which happens A LOT!!
Old 11-21-16, 05:18 PM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by MilkyTech
I figured that out but I also thought my biggest concern with "poke" was the tire rubbing the fender or wheel well, but I see now the rim can eventually come into contact with the strut if the width/offset are not within limits.

That is the tire (almost new) that is already on the 9" wheels I'm looking at. Now I think I may get these for my '01 Chrysler 300M which has 225/55/17 (almost exactly the same combined wheel/tire height of 26.75"), and maybe look for 19" wheels with a lower profile tire for the RX350.
That would be a much better application for those. My RX 350 has the stock 18" wheels. If I could find a set of polished or chrome wheels in 18 or 19, at a good price, I would like to have them.

Let us know what you finally come up with. Pics would be great when it is all done.
Old 11-21-16, 05:18 PM
MilkyTech
Driver School Candidate

It's a surprisingly complex thing to get a handle on for a casual consumer.
Yes, it is a lot to take in when you are fairly new at tire shopping.
Lol. It's not all that difficult but all of the support is wonderful! Keep up the good work fellas!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Wheels - Larger Width, different offset than OEM, is that bad?