RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

First time buyer TX, lots of questions!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-16, 08:11 AM
easye
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time buyer TX, lots of questions!

Hello,

I have heard the experts reside in this lovely forum so I was hoping I would be lucky enough to get all the information I need to purchase a RX350 in the near future (3-6 months). Dallas Fort Worth Area. Looking to spend tops $35k OTD.

Preface: Wife and I tested a ton of different SUVs, when we drove the Lexus RX350, we were BLOWN away (compared to the Acura RDX). I knew this was the car for her the moment I drove it: comfort, style, performance were all there.

Questions:
1. I am a huge believer in buying bang for your buck, let someone else buy the depreciation... my wife wants the newest model year so it doesn't look "old" the next year. Tips on swinging her over to my corner? (Besides the fact that it is nearly impossible to get a '16 under $40k used).

2. It looks like the 3rd Generation went from '10-'15. Is there any noticeable differences in years within the generation? I have been recommended going for the 2013.

3. Could someone explain the differences between a Comfort, F-Sport, Luxury, Premium, and Sport Package? It seems the vast majority of people either get Comfort or Premium.

3a. Price differences between the packages and is it actually worth upgrading to the package?

4. Should I buy from a well known dealership and get a CPO or Carmax to avoid the hassle?

4a. Any advice on haggling tips on used and/or any local advice on dealerships (I have hear great things about Sewell, some about Park Place).

Thank you, I appreciate the help and am looking forward to learn.

Last edited by easye; 11-14-16 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-14-16, 08:42 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by easye
Hello,

I have heard the experts reside in this lovely forum so I was hoping I would be lucky enough to get all the information I need to purchase a RX350 in the near future (3-6 months). Dallas Fort Worth Area. Looking to spend tops $35k OTD.
Preface: Wife and I tested a ton of different SUVs, when we drove the Lexus RX350, we were BLOWN away (compared to the Acura RDX). I knew this was the car for her the moment I drove it: comfort, style, performance were all there.
When my wife and I were investigating what to purchase as a replacement for our Ford diesel Excursion, your stated goal was mine, and I really wanted to posh-up my wife since she had been such a trooper for driving a huge Suburban or Excursion for the past 18 years. The RX was a winner for both of us, and she now loves her RX450h!!

Questions:
1. I am a huge believer in buying bang for your buck, let someone else buy the depreciation... my wife wants the newest model year so it doesn't look "old" the next year. Tips on swinging her over to my corner? (Besides the fact that it is nearly impossible to get a '16 under $40k used).
$$... $$... and MO $$$! Personally, I HATE the look of the front end on the '16's and '17's.

2. It looks like the 3rd Generation went from '10-'15. Is there any noticeable differences in years within the generation? I have been recommended going for the 2013.
The front appearance of the newest rides has gotten goofy looking, in my opinion. Since they were not in my market window, anyway, I never looked any further than that. Others can certainly address the details.

4. Should I buy from a well known dealership and get a CPO or Carmax to avoid the hassle?
4a. Any advice on haggling tips on used and/or any local advice on dealerships (I have hear great things about Sewell, some about Park Place).
I don't believe that Carmax is going to offer much in the way of savings, and the CPO would probably be worth the small difference. Also, these vehicles seem to sell fast and are popular, so haggling options are going to be minimum because if you don't buy it, someone else will in a matter of a few days. You might do better, though, in locating your CPO option over the internet where the vehicles are generally priced to move more quickly, but again, that means there really won;t be much room for the dealer to wiggle on it.

Last edited by F250; 11-14-16 at 09:08 AM.
Old 11-14-16, 08:45 AM
easye
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by F250
When my wife and I were investigating what to purchase as a replacement for our Ford diesel Excursion, your stated goal was mine, and I really wanted to posh-up my wife since she had been such a trooper for driving a huge Suburban or Excursion for the past 18 years. The RX was a winner for both of us, and she no loves her RX450h!!
Thanks Pete for the reply.

I really owe it to my wife for driving a 2008 CHRYSLER SEBRING. Granted, it is a convertible, but I personally hate seeing that POS in my driveway. And for what its worth, I acquired the Sebring with the marriage, I would never have bought it (even though, it turned out quite well)
Old 11-14-16, 09:10 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Hey, I forgot to welcome you to CL, too! WELCOME!

As you come into TX on I-10 from LA, you see a greeting sign saying "Welcome to the Right Side of Texas), but I simply do NOT agree with the sign for where we were. We spent 9 years in Beaumont, 8 of those years trying to leave that mold- and mildew-ridden place. From what I've heard and read,though, the DFW area is a much nicer location than where we were stuck, but we never did get up there for any visits.

Last edited by F250; 11-14-16 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-14-16, 10:00 AM
Lead Lap

Received 741 Likes on 499 Posts

You should consider the 450h. All are made in Japan. Manufacturer Year 2011 April and onwards are all fine.

2016 models won't age gracefully.
Old 11-14-16, 10:30 AM
easye
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 703
You should consider the 450h. All are made in Japan. Manufacturer Year 2011 April and onwards are all fine.

2016 models won't age gracefully.
What is the difference between the 350 and 450? I assume same as RDX to MDX?
Old 11-14-16, 10:39 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,091 Likes on 931 Posts

The 450 is a hybrid. The 350 only has the gas engine. Same body, interior, options and gas engine in both models.
Old 11-14-16, 10:47 AM
easye
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
The 450 is a hybrid. The 350 only has the gas engine. Same body, interior, options and gas engine in both models.
Interesting.... just as reliable?
Old 11-14-16, 10:57 AM
F250
Lead Lap

I determined that they were just as reliable when we got ours back in late July. I had been planning on the 350, but then saw that the 450h was selling for the same prices with better mileage ratings. I did some research on reliability, read in here for a while adn asked some questions, and then thought about how it would be driven by my wife. Ninety percent of its road time will be as a DD grocery getter and errand runner. Now that we've had it several months, in all honesty, I'm not seeing the higher range of the mileage benefits, but we're probably still transitioning from the traditional gas and diesel burners.

I'm pleased overall, though, and the only thing I would change would be getting AWD. I'm tempted to keep the one I have for 1-2 years and then upgrade to a newer and lower mileage 2013 with AWD, and then sit tight for a while. I can also tell you that with the electric motor support, when I really want (or need) to tromp it hard, I can chirp the tires from a 10mph rolling start! It will get up and GO! I have to also say that if you do that, though, you better be lined up to go straight because if you have the tires turned, you can get some startling torque-steer and you better have a good grip on the steering wheel.
Old 11-14-16, 11:00 AM
easye
Driver School Candidate

I determined that they were just as reliable when we got ours back in late July. I had been planning on the 350, but then saw that the 450h was selling for the same prices with better mileage ratings. I did some research on reliability, read in here for a while adn asked some questions, and then thought about how it would be driven by my wife. Ninety percent of its road time will be as a DD grocery getter and errand runner. Now that we've had it several months, in all honesty, I'm not seeing the higher range of the mileage benefits, but we're probably still transitioning from the traditional gas and diesel burners.

I'm pleased overall, though, and the only thing I would change would be getting AWD. I'm tempted to keep the one I have for 1-2 years and then upgrade to a newer and lower mileage 2013 with AWD, and then sit tight for a while. I can also tell you that with the electric motor support, when I really want (or need) to tromp it hard, I can chirp the tires from a 10mph rolling start! It will get up and GO! I have to also say that if you do that, though, you better be lined up to go straight because if you have the tires turned, you can get some startling torque-steer and you better have a good grip on the steering wheel.
Is it worth it for the CPO?
Old 11-14-16, 12:34 PM
F250
Lead Lap

Depends on the price difference. It's hard to say just as a purely hypothetical issue. There are others here who only do CPO purchases. I've never done one, primarily because I've never purchased a vehicle close enough to "new" to where a CPO was even available.
Old 11-14-16, 12:41 PM
easye
Driver School Candidate

Depends on the price difference. It's hard to say just as a purely hypothetical issue. There are others here who only do CPO purchases. I've never done one, primarily because I've never purchased a vehicle close enough to "new" to where a CPO was even available.

Alright, I will wait to see if other people chime in to get their thoughts.... being 3-6 months out, I am more concern on just finding the car I should be looking for and getting a nice down payment.
Old 11-14-16, 01:23 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Unless you're buying an RX that's over 70k miles, most 2015 should be under the CPO warranty if you buy from Lexus. I think it's worth buying one with CPO warranty. As reliable these cars are, there will be occasional hiccups. I had my ABS actuator replaced under warranty that would have otherwise cost me $2500 out of pocket. That's more than what I would save by going with a non-CPO RX at the time. Not to mention, the L-certified warranty extends to 6 model years (you're covered up to 2021) and unlimited mileage.
Old 11-14-16, 01:34 PM
easye
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GSteg
Unless you're buying an RX that's over 70k miles, most 2015 should be under the CPO warranty if you buy from Lexus. I think it's worth buying one with CPO warranty. As reliable these cars are, there will be occasional hiccups. I had my ABS actuator replaced under warranty that would have otherwise cost me $2500 out of pocket. That's more than what I would save by going with a non-CPO RX at the time. Not to mention, the L-certified warranty extends to 6 model years (you're covered up to 2021) and unlimited mileage.
Well, I have no clue what model year I should buy honestly, I don't know the differences between '10-'15. I presume I would be purchasing either a '13 or '14.

Thank you tho. That puts it into perspective.
Old 11-14-16, 02:44 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The most significant changes (mid cycle refresh) came for the 2013 model year. This is where they added the spindle grill, LED running lights, new tail lights, updated nav system/Enform, etc. There are not many changes from 13 through 15.

As for hybrid versus gas, I simply suggest that you drive them both.

Quick Reply: First time buyer TX, lots of questions!