RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

RX-F a good choice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-16, 10:54 AM
PigSnack
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RX-F a good choice?

I'm looking to replace my 2007 RX 350 that I have really enjoyed. I like the ride, I like the quiet. I'm looking at 2015 RX and RX-F. Is the F worth the extra money? Hard to evaluate with a 20 minute drive. The only complaints that I have with my current 2007 RX are a bit too much body roll and underpowered brakes. The RX-F has an 8 speed transmission which sounds nice, but is that enough to justify? Don't really care that much about the larger wheels and badging.
Old 11-09-16, 11:10 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

try the f-sport roll call thread. maybe they can help you out a little better. i like my base 2015 rx very much. the six speed is more than enough gears. but i know i would NOT like the stiffer ride of the f-sport. just my 2 cents.
Old 11-09-16, 11:18 AM
Clutchless
Forum Moderator

Received 1,195 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The F sport has a stiffer suspension that you may not like and need to drive to experience. Especially coming from a 2007 that has a much softer ride than even the regular third generation RX. The 8 speed transmission does not make much difference in performance or mileage and you may not like the way it performs as much as the 6 speed which was better sorted out than the earlier examples of the new 8 speed.
Old 11-09-16, 12:27 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

and half the time the 8 speed doesnt know what gear to be in
Old 11-09-16, 12:57 PM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I have owned a 2015 F-Sport for 2 years and have no complaints. The looks are what initially sold my wife on the F Sport, it's her vehicle and she loves the F-Sport's sportier looks. The 8 speed trans takes a little getting used to, but it has not been an issue at all and I don't find it searching for gears even in bumper to bumper traffic.

In regards to the ride, on smooth roads it is your typical Lexus, smooth, refined quiet and solid. However, be aware that on rough roads the ride can be a bit rough / stiff. But the trade off is it handles better than a reg RX so we can live with the firmer ride, but some people can't. So I would suggest a long test drive over all types of road surfaces before making your decision.

Last edited by JT4; 11-09-16 at 01:03 PM.
Old 11-10-16, 09:36 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JT4
I have owned a 2015 F-Sport for 2 years and have no complaints. The looks are what initially sold my wife on the F Sport, it's her vehicle and she loves the F-Sport's sportier looks. The 8 speed trans takes a little getting used to, but it has not been an issue at all and I don't find it searching for gears even in bumper to bumper traffic.

In regards to the ride, on smooth roads it is your typical Lexus, smooth, refined quiet and solid. However, be aware that on rough roads the ride can be a bit rough / stiff. But the trade off is it handles better than a reg RX so we can live with the firmer ride, but some people can't. So I would suggest a long test drive over all types of road surfaces before making your decision.
in my opinion they just made the new transmissions more complicated, and now not even reasonably easy to service such as the last generation had. i am glad to hear that you like the 8 speed i really am. but honestly i think its all a race to see which brand comes out with the most gears. and is simply not necessary.
Old 11-10-16, 02:20 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 51 Posts

2017 and 2016 Benz GLC300 is quite nice (if you are cross shopping - residuals are comparable also). I don't recommend the air suspension on that thing but it handles fine without it. I didn't go this route because they didn't have the diesel version ready to go. But the current one is very nice. It has even lower NVH than any RX out there, faster with higher usable torque and very good reliability (hard to believe for a Benz). The amount of room is probably not as plenty but the usable room and nooks and crannies inside cockpit makes up for the lower total volume. I'd pick that car over the 2015 RX-F. You should be able to find a 2016 with little amount mileage on it.
Old 11-10-16, 06:31 PM
vfr700f2
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

What are the prices? What options do they have? The F is totally loaded, while the standard car could be quite standard.... How many miles on each? Any other differences between the two, like one is your favorite color and the other isn't?

We like our F...
Old 11-10-16, 09:15 PM
WolfyLS460
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Get a regular RX. Any pretenses of a Lexus to be 'sporty' with either a "F" moniker or Bearded-Goldfish Spindle Grill do not pan out in actual driving. It's all bark and no bite. Get a Macan or F-Pace if you want a real sports crossover.
Old 11-11-16, 04:59 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexus114
in my opinion they just made the new transmissions more complicated, and now not even reasonably easy to service such as the last generation had. i am glad to hear that you like the 8 speed i really am. but honestly i think its all a race to see which brand comes out with the most gears. and is simply not necessary.
Couldn't agree more, they are complicated and I really hate these "learning" transmissions. Yeah, I know these have been around for years but they are getting more and more complex and in some cases ruining the drivers experience. You're right, the race to see who comes mores gears first is ridiculous.

BTW if I had a choice I would have preferred the 6 speed.
Old 11-11-16, 05:25 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by WolfyLS460
Get a regular RX. Any pretenses of a Lexus to be 'sporty' with either a "F" moniker or Bearded-Goldfish Spindle Grill do not pan out in actual driving. It's all bark and no bite. Get a Macan or F-Pace if you want a real sports crossover.
Lexus never intended for the RX F Sport to compete with the likes of Porsche, BMW or the new Jag. Granted there is no "bump" in power but the F Sport is more than appearance, the suspension is tuned to provide less body roll and a sportier driving experience. Will it out corner an X5 or Macan, of course not, but once again it wasn't designed to.

The F Sport was designed to appeal to someone who wanted a sportier looking crossover with the reliability that comes with the Lexus brand, and in our case that's exactly what it has delivered.

Because after two less than stellar experiences with MB products, I needed a break from the German brands and their service departments for a while...

Last edited by JT4; 11-11-16 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-11-16, 07:05 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JT4
Lexus never intended for the RX F Sport to compete with the likes of Porsche, BMW or the new Jag. Granted there is no "bump" in power but F Sport is more than appearance, the suspension is tuned to provide less body roll and a sportier driving experience. Will it out corner an X5 or Macan, of course not, but once again it wasn't designed to.

The F Sport was designed to appeal to someone who wanted a sportier looking crossover with the reliability that comes with the Lexus brand, and in our case that's exactly what it has delivered.

Because after two less than stellar experiences with MB products, I needed a break from the German brands and their service departments for a while...

hahahaha..couldn't agree more! the reliability of the toyota/lexus brand is stellar. especially to ANY german auto.
Old 11-11-16, 09:44 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lexus114
hahahaha..couldn't agree more! the reliability of the toyota/lexus brand is stellar. especially to ANY german auto.
I couldn't have said it better..
Old 11-11-16, 03:53 PM
Lead Lap

Received 791 Likes on 537 Posts

I don't think it's worth it. Get the regular one. It's not meant to be a sports car. Let it be what it was supposed to be!

If if you want sporty driving. SUV is not the first place to look lol.
Old 11-12-16, 11:06 AM
niklow
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ill have to dissagree we posters on the topic of the transmission. Miles better than the 6spd, mine does not fish for gears nor ever felt like it had no idea what it was doing. we have both versions in out household and 8spd is superior.

Please leave opinions to the buyer, 30min+ test drives are a must. F sport suspension is a different side of things, however it drives sharper and less body lean. If the OP lives in southern climates where roads are generally smoother and potholess its a decent buy.

Quick Reply: RX-F a good choice?