RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Dash Cam

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-16, 03:37 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Ideally, a 360 degree camera is what we should have, but that's not an option for some people (price, installation, etc). Having a front/rear camera is a lot better than having no cameras at all. Even with a front/rear camera, it will still give you an indication of what happened (did I run a red light? or was it the other person?). I much rather have some sort of video evidence than he said she said kind of report.
Old 10-20-16, 04:18 PM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Well, errrrr....how about you tell me just how that works out. In most cases, a hit and run involves a stolen car, so there will be no benefit. If not, and the driver drives away, the driver often parks it somewhere, goes home, and waits for the cops. He/she then tells the cops he did not know his car was stolen. In the absence of better proof, the case is closed, and your insurance is responsible for the repair.

I will tell you the most common comment when a vehicle with a camera is in an accident... "Gee, I guess my camera (wasn't on--didn't see it--missed that part"...fill in the blank).

I am not opposed to camera's, and have one on one of my cars. But people need to realize that it IS NOT going to provide meaningful evidence in 90% of what can happen to your car, possibly not even 95%. I know of several cases where it has proven who was at fault in a frontal collision, and that is certainly a benefit. However, the camera is not likely to become a crime fighting superhero.

Think about this: The cameras are really not expensive, generally under $100, installed. If they were so good at helping determine fault and guilt, wouldn't your insurance company want you to have one? Wouldn't they cut your insurance a bit if you had one? Not a chance, no value to them.

Here is a real-world example: Friend's 2011 Corvette has a motion-activated dash cam. He comes out from shopping, and there are bicycle tire tracks and scratches all over the hood of his car from punks who decided it would be a good test of their jumping abilities. He calls the cops, checks the cam. There is evidence, but no crystal clear faces of anyone who is known to the cops. The parking lot cameras pick up some kids riding their bikes around, but do not show his vehicle being damaged, and the pics are not clear enough for prosecution, anyway. Cops recommend he fill out a report, and call his insurance company...end of story. What did the camera do for him?

THAT is why I asked the original question, "What will this do for me?"

Last edited by 11bravo; 10-20-16 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-20-16, 08:13 PM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Hmmm. Not this car but on another car ........ My car was parked on the street. It was just grazed by senior citizen who couldn't keep the steering wheel straight. But he waited around for a second or two. Upon finding out that no one is in the car he took off. All captured on camera. Local sheriff caught him in that same night. damage to the car was $1800.

Mrs. MellonC came out of a authentic Chinese restaurant only to find a nice yellow strip on her front bumper. Only about 5 cars down there is a Camero which was yellow and had a nice big scratch. A very recent immigrant from China comes out of restaurant speaking almost no English. She asks him about the car. But does not reply. His son comes out the restaurant but speaks to her in English saying the scratch wasn't from her car. She responds that she will check the dash cam. Then they confessed. But said that it was his grand father driving his cAr and didn't have a license. Their insurance paid up. Mrs. mellonc didn't press charges.

in the foreign land of California, there are so many seemingly "good people" comitting petty crimes out of personal covenience. In all other states you are probably dealing with real criminals who has some professionalism in his endeavors. Thus, I find some use in dash cams.

Ps. Check out YouTube videos with search term Stupid Russian Drivers. That is pretty much Southern California. City of LA is so dim witted that it has to return a portion of federal and state highway funds apportioned to the city for repairs every year cuz they are fighting over which crony is going to be awarded the contract.

Last edited by MellonC00; 10-20-16 at 08:20 PM.
Old 10-20-16, 08:25 PM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Those are excellent examples of it working, and I am glad it did. Born and raised in L.A., and got out as quickly as I could, at age 27.
Old 10-20-16, 11:26 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 11bravo
THAT is why I asked the original question, "What will this do for me?"
For me, it does what I need it to do and that is to record moving incidents. If you're convinced a camera doesn't do anything for you, then that's perfectly fine. Fortunately, dash cams are not mandatory so people who find no value are not required to buy them. In my book, it's better to have something than nothing. With a camera, there is a chance you might catch something. With no camera, you never catch anything.
Old 10-22-16, 03:05 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

So true!!!

Originally Posted by GSteg
For me, it does what I need it to do and that is to record moving incidents. If you're convinced a camera doesn't do anything for you, then that's perfectly fine. Fortunately, dash cams are not mandatory so people who find no value are not required to buy them. In my book, it's better to have something than nothing. With a camera, there is a chance you might catch something. With no camera, you never catch anything.