RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2013 RX purchase help

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-16, 12:53 PM
justjoy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 RX350 purchase help

My siblings and I are interested in purchasing a 2013 Rx 350 for my mother's 60th birthday. She's not very fancy, but we would like to buy a luxury car for her, as she deserves something special.
I've never even thought of buying something like this, so I'm not sure where to begin to get the best price. Plus, I want to do my due diligence with research. I've done some research to find the market value which I get a range of 26,000 - 30,000 for about 50K miles according to KBB. I've thought of going to the auction with a dealer, but don't want to risk getting a car that has complications. I'm located in NJ.
Any guidance will be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by justjoy; 10-05-16 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 10-05-16, 05:39 PM
gklatv
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by justjoy
... I'm not sure where to begin...
I'd check the inventory - online - at the local Lexus dealerships. Maybe, even visit one to check available car(s) and take a test drive to familiarize yourself with Lexus brand and RX350 vehicle.
Try not to get into discussion of purchase right there and then, just check the vehicles out. Then expand online search area and see what's available and asking prices. From there on the best way to shop is through emails to various dealers.
Old 10-06-16, 05:49 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

WELCOME TO CLUB LEXUS!!

Your intentions and thought process are exactly what I just went through for my wife's replacement vehicle, and she is thoroughly enjoying our new-to-us 2010 RX450h!

CPO (Certified Pre-Owned, certified by dealer) vehicles offer some potential security in having a certified inspection and knowing that "everything works as it should". This security, though, does carry an increased price. Having done all my own research prior to buying or RXh a couple months ago, I believe that if you can do your own VIN checks (purchase a month-long subscription so you can do it on the spot when looking at a vehicle) and use good automotive purchasing practices, the inherent quality of the Lexus brand would let me feel that I would not have that much to gain by using a CPO purchase arrangement. Also, if you can get the VIN ahead of time, you can register yourself as the vehicle's owner on lexusdrivers.com and get 100% of the dealer service records for that particular car, and I found this VERY helpful in ruling out a couple of vehicles where the Carfax actually looked good... the dealer records on one indicated that the owner was either excessively picky and persnickity about things, or it might have been one of those rare oddballs which even Lexus will have where there might just be a lifelong battle with a couple of things... either way, I passed on THAT opportunity because I did not want to risk learning it was the latter of the two potentials.

One other avenue you can use in your pricing reviews is to look on eBay at comparable vehicles and look at the CLOSED auction so you can see what they actually sold for.

You can also check the inventory of other higher en vehicle dealers (Infiniit, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, etc.) because some folks will move around on their vehicle of choice. The RXh we bought was from a trade in at a BMW dealership, and they were exceptionally accommodating as we drove the 3 hours to inspect the vehicle. They even put it on a lift for me so I could inspect the underside for any evidence of under body rust, scrapes/dents, shock/strut leaks, brake pad wear, or any other signs of other fluid leakage.

If you decide your price point and vehicle requirements for features and condition, then be patient and persistent... you will find an excellent ride for your mom!

Best of luck with your search.
Old 10-06-16, 10:19 AM
Buzzer777
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Talking I agree completely!

Originally Posted by F250
WELCOME TO CLUB LEXUS!!

Your intentions and thought process are exactly what I just went through for my wife's replacement vehicle, and she is thoroughly enjoying our new-to-us 2010 RX450h!

CPO (Certified Pre-Owned, certified by dealer) vehicles offer some potential security in having a certified inspection and knowing that "everything works as it should". This security, though, does carry an increased price. Having done all my own research prior to buying or RXh a couple months ago, I believe that if you can do your own VIN checks (purchase a month-long subscription so you can do it on the spot when looking at a vehicle) and use good automotive purchasing practices, the inherent quality of the Lexus brand would let me feel that I would not have that much to gain by using a CPO purchase arrangement. Also, if you can get the VIN ahead of time, you can register yourself as the vehicle's owner on lexusdrivers.com and get 100% of the dealer service records for that particular car, and I found this VERY helpful in ruling out a couple of vehicles where the Carfax actually looked good... the dealer records on one indicated that the owner was either excessively picky and persnickity about things, or it might have been one of those rare oddballs which even Lexus will have where there might just be a lifelong battle with a couple of things... either way, I passed on THAT opportunity because I did not want to risk learning it was the latter of the two potentials.

One other avenue you can use in your pricing reviews is to look on eBay at comparable vehicles and look at the CLOSED auction so you can see what they actually sold for.

You can also check the inventory of other higher en vehicle dealers (Infiniit, BMW, Audi, Mercedes, etc.) because some folks will move around on their vehicle of choice. The RXh we bought was from a trade in at a BMW dealership, and they were exceptionally accommodating as we drove the 3 hours to inspect the vehicle. They even put it on a lift for me so I could inspect the underside for any evidence of under body rust, scrapes/dents, shock/strut leaks, brake pad wear, or any other signs of other fluid leakage.

If you decide your price point and vehicle requirements for features and condition, then be patient and persistent... you will find an excellent ride for your mom!

I also wanted a 2013 RX and went the CPO route as well. I SLEEP BETTER AT NIGHT! Purchasing a used high priced automobile takes a bit more patience, but if you get the right vehicle, at a good price, it is well worth it! So far, I have been quite satisfied with my own purchase..Take your time and good luck!

I have found THIS FORUM to be invaluable!

Last edited by Buzzer777; 10-06-16 at 10:29 AM.
Old 10-06-16, 10:49 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Welcome to CL, justjoy. It's a very admirable thing you're doing for your mother. And the RX is a great vehicle. What kind of car is she driving now?

Fortunately for you there's lots of dealers in the area. Try doing a search online to save time, or maybe e-mail a few. Be sure to include features and options. Here's a link to the brochure listing the details on the 2013 RX. Region also influences how the vehicle is equipped so it may not be exact. I imagine some dealers might have a few low mileage 2013 lease returns on the lot. Forget the auction. It's risky plus only licensed dealers can go to places like Manheim. That I know from my brother-in-law who is in the car business. He used to buy/sell there.

Just to clarify something Pete said, Lexus now uses the term L-Certified instead of CPO. It gives you up to two years warranty/unlimited mileage, roadside assistance, and up to four free services, The time part will depend on when the vehicle first went into service (original purchase date). It's not to say the RX is unreliable. Quite the opposite. The dealer adds generally about $1,500-2,000 to the price for certification. If warranty is important, basic is good for up to 4 years or 50K miles, whichever comes first. An extended warranty can be purchased before that expires.

The 3RX forum has lots of great information in it. Feel free to spend some time looking around. Good luck with finding the right RX.
Old 10-07-16, 07:25 AM
justjoy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by gklatv
I'd check the inventory - online - at the local Lexus dealerships. Maybe, even visit one to check available car(s) and take a test drive to familiarize yourself with Lexus brand and RX350 vehicle.
Try not to get into discussion of purchase right there and then, just check the vehicles out. Then expand online search area and see what's available and asking prices. From there on the best way to shop is through emails to various dealers.

Thanks. We plan on doing test drives this weekend. I do like the idea of the email route.
Old 10-07-16, 07:52 AM
justjoy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by F250
WELCOME TO CLUB LEXUS!!

Thank you so much. Congrats on the new car. Enjoy in good health.
I don't have a problem doing the leg work/research to make sure the car is in good condition in an effort to save $. I love the tip of looking up the service history on lexusdrivers.com! In fact, I've already used it.
Our budget is $25,000 for no more than 45,000K miles, but it's looking like we may have to increase it a bit.
She's not very particular, so if the car doesn't have all the extra's, that okay. If it does, it'll be an added bonus.
Old 10-07-16, 07:52 AM
justjoy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Buzzer777
I have found THIS FORUM to be invaluable!
Absolutely agree with you on this!
Old 10-07-16, 07:56 AM
justjoy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by kitlz
Welcome to CL, justjoy. It's a very admirable thing you're doing for your mother. And the RX is a great vehicle. What kind of car is she driving now?

Fortunately for you there's lots of dealers in the area. Try doing a search online to save time, or maybe e-mail a few. Be sure to include features and options. Here's a link to the brochure listing the details on the 2013 RX. Region also influences how the vehicle is equipped so it may not be exact. I imagine some dealers might have a few low mileage 2013 lease returns on the lot. Forget the auction. It's risky plus only licensed dealers can go to places like Manheim. That I know from my brother-in-law who is in the car business. He used to buy/sell there.

Just to clarify something Pete said, Lexus now uses the term L-Certified instead of CPO. It gives you up to two years warranty/unlimited mileage, roadside assistance, and up to four free services, The time part will depend on when the vehicle first went into service (original purchase date). It's not to say the RX is unreliable. Quite the opposite. The dealer adds generally about $1,500-2,000 to the price for certification. If warranty is important, basic is good for up to 4 years or 50K miles, whichever comes first. An extended warranty can be purchased before that expires.

The 3RX forum has lots of great information in it. Feel free to spend some time looking around. Good luck with finding the right RX.
She currently has a 05 Honda CRV, in which the engine recently knocked out.
Thank you for the brochure. I printed that out a few days ago. But truth be told, she isn't really particular about anything. I just printed that out, so that when I'm negotiating, I absolutely know what I'm getting.
In regards to the auction, I've been teetering on that idea, but I'm going to pass on it. Just too much risk.
Old 10-07-16, 11:51 AM
Marqevans
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

You might check the dealers for any cars coming in off lease. I know some people fear buying leased cars but if you check the service history you should be OK. I've turned in seven leased cars that were good as new.