RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

USB Phone Charger Issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-19, 07:49 PM
sargeofny
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

iPhone requires about 40-60% less power to charge than an Android device.
Old 08-31-19, 12:07 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

The USB charging port in the RX are for playing music and etc. Not for "charging".

We have a dedicated 12 volt cigarette plug into the 12 volt cigarette port and charges without any problems

I know Lexus dropped the ball on this one. Even the new cheaper Hyundai Palaside/KIA Telluride has something like 7 USB in addition to the other multiple 12 volt cigarette lighter charge ports!!!! WTF!!!

Originally Posted by sargeofny
I have this exact same issue with my 2012 RX 450h. I cannot drive more than 3-3.5 hrs when using Waze and the battery of my Android device goes from 100% to 0 while charging using the USB port. The dealer today, told me that the cigarette lighter is preferred for charging devices as opposed to the USB ports, which only put out 6 amps or 6V (I cannot recall). The lighter puts out a higher amp/V. I had a rental car for 4 weeks, actually two different ones while my car was in the body shop, and in both rental cars, using my charging cables, I did not encounter the issue. My phone charged, and did not lose charge. I mentioned this to my service rep and it seemed to be ignored. How is it that the issue does not exist in a 2018 Range Rover nor in a 2018 Infinity QX60? Those were the two rental cars. My wife just leased a 2019 Acura MDX, and we are going to test this in her car, too.

It should be noted that Android devices apparently require 40-60% more power to charge than an iPhone. My dealer service area supposedly had no employee there with an Android, so all tests were with an iPhone. How can every dealership's service dept not have an iPhone and Android device to use for these tests? Very frustrating. I am going to see, tomorrow, if the issue exists in the loaner RX 350 I am driving.
Old 09-01-19, 08:20 PM
lexuspleus
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusrus
The USB charging port in the RX are for playing music and etc. Not for "charging".

We have a dedicated 12 volt cigarette plug into the 12 volt cigarette port and charges without any problems

I know Lexus dropped the ball on this one. Even the new cheaper Hyundai Palaside/KIA Telluride has something like 7 USB in addition to the other multiple 12 volt cigarette lighter charge ports!!!! WTF!!!
The comparison to the Palisade and the Telluride isn't quite fair. This is the 3rd generation RX we're talking about that came out back in 2010 and whose design never really changed. The Telluride and Pallisade are a generation ahead and aren't exactly cheap econoboxes.

I've never been in the 2016+ RX's but I'll bet they have more USB ports. USB ports for power is a trend that started catching on in 2015+
Old 09-02-19, 07:34 AM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

The 2015 RX350 still got just one USB in the center console.

The 2020 RX350 MAY have more USB's. IDK.

The Kia Telluride/Hyundai Palisade starts at the low $30K. Even at the base, these got so many USB's. Not that I really care about lots more USB's bc I can easily use my multi cigarette plug in to get more USB's. I rather have the TRUE and PROVEN reliability of the Lexus RX AND the superior customer service experience vs some gimmicky USB'S while the rest of the car falls apart in just a few year or begins to squeak in lots of different places. And while I'm at the Hyundai/Kia dealership be treated like as if they are doing me a favor.

Unless Hyundai/Kia really improve their "customer service experience", THESE two brands will ALWAYS be looked at as "CHEAP ECONO ***** BOXES". They need to develop a customer service experience that is far superior than their current offering.

Please see attached. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Originally Posted by lexuspleus
The comparison to the Palisade and the Telluride isn't quite fair. This is the 3rd generation RX we're talking about that came out back in 2010 and whose design never really changed. The Telluride and Pallisade are a generation ahead and aren't exactly cheap econoboxes.

I've never been in the 2016+ RX's but I'll bet they have more USB ports. USB ports for power is a trend that started catching on in 2015+

Last edited by lexusrus; 09-02-19 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-15-19, 09:35 PM
rababich
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by F250
I don't know if the problem I experienced on this past weekend's trip is typical or not.

240 miles each way, Droid Turbo 2 plugged into the USB charging cable, showing as charging (indicated by my battery numbers turning blue and the lightning symbol in the icon tray, but while running Waze on the full trip (which I've done for years in other vehicles), the battery dropped from 85% to 2% in three hours. I even turned everything off on the phone, and then turned the phone off, and it was still NOT charging the battery. ....
My guess is the "USB port" in our cars is just that, a USB port, not a charging port.
I found some info on USB ports - "In the USB 1.0 and 2.0 specs, a standard downstream port is capable of delivering up to 500mA (0.5A); with USB 3.0, it moves up to 900mA (0.9A)."
I don't know which USB spec the ports are in our cars, probably USB 2.0, since they do not say.
It will charge, but it depends on how many amps are being used and at .5amps it can take awhile.
The newer devices these days need more amperage to charge, especially when the screen is on.
Some devices need over 1 amp to charge when the screen is on.
The 12v aux ports are usually at least 15amps and will easily run a USB plug-in adapter that has two 2.1amp USB charging ports.
Also, the wire size in a USB cable can limit the amount of amps the cable can carry.
A USB charging cable will usually use the next size larger gauge wire for the charging line so it can carry more amperage.