RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Tow options for 2014 if I don't have tow package?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-16, 11:03 AM
Qyxz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tow options for 2014 if I don't have tow package?

I have a trailer and car with a combined weight just around 3,500 pounds. From what I understand, that is right around the limit for the RX, but I don't have the tow package. What are my options?
Old 09-21-16, 12:41 PM
Beer4me
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2014_...luding+F+Sport
Old 09-21-16, 12:43 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

i wouldn't tow anything with out the tow package. especially with the ws fluid in these transmissions. that stuff breaks down in a helluva hurry with out towing anything.
Old 09-21-16, 01:24 PM
Qyxz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lexus114
i wouldn't tow anything with out the tow package. especially with the ws fluid in these transmissions. that stuff breaks down in a helluva hurry with out towing anything.
Interesting that you say that. The maintenance schedule seems to imply that the transmission fluid never needs to be changed with normal, non towing use.
Old 09-22-16, 10:26 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Qyxz
Interesting that you say that. The maintenance schedule seems to imply that the transmission fluid never needs to be changed with normal, non towing use.
do yourself a big favor my friend do not believe that for one minute
Old 09-29-16, 09:24 AM
jrfiero
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're going to do it a couple times, just go ahead and tow it unless you're in a mountainous or very hot area, or have a route with lots of stop and go. Steady state cruising puts some load on the vehicle due to aerodynamics, but won't overheat the tranny. Your fuel mileage will go straight to heck.
IIRC the tow package has an auxiliary tranny cooler and a bigger battery, but if you don't power anything in the trailer the battery is irrelevant. Before someone mentions it, it doesn't have a bigger alternator because we don't have alternators. Tranny cooler is a good idea but not critical unless you're really putting a constant excess load on the engine/transmission.

Lexus114, do you have any evidence of these claims about the tranny fluid?

Jonas
Old 09-29-16, 10:34 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jrfiero
If you're going to do it a couple times, just go ahead and tow it unless you're in a mountainous or very hot area, or have a route with lots of stop and go. Steady state cruising puts some load on the vehicle due to aerodynamics, but won't overheat the tranny. Your fuel mileage will go straight to heck.
IIRC the tow package has an auxiliary tranny cooler and a bigger battery, but if you don't power anything in the trailer the battery is irrelevant. Before someone mentions it, it doesn't have a bigger alternator because we don't have alternators. Tranny cooler is a good idea but not critical unless you're really putting a constant excess load on the engine/transmission.

Lexus114, do you have any evidence of these claims about the tranny fluid?

Jonas
over at bobistheoilguy owners that have vehicles that use the ws fluid say that its pretty well shot by 30k. and its not a synthetic fluid either which doesnt help any.
Old 09-29-16, 01:21 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

I did my first ATF drain and fill at 30 some thousand miles, followed by 2 more and am now on an annual schedule. Note that a drain and fill only drains about 2 quarts. I used MAG 1 low viscosity synthetic ATF which is listed as compatible for Toyota WS.

http://www.mag1.com/ProductDetails.a...a-55f0b5c590fe

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...Number=3042591

I noticed the old fluid was almost black. The vehicle appeared to shift faster and smoother with the new fluid after 3 drain and fills.
Old 09-29-16, 01:59 PM
tus
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a trailer and car with a combined weight just around 3,500 pounds. From what I understand, that is right around the limit for the RX, but I don't have the tow package. What are my options?
I was just looking up towing specs for my '13 RX 450h.

On page 377 of the owners there is a table that shows for a 350 without the towing package the max trailer weight is 2000lb, with 3500lb being for one that does. For the 450h it gets kind of vague, there is no data/spec for one that does not have the package, with 3500lb being what is given for one that has the package.

If you have a 350 without the tow package, I would suggest using a different tow vehicle until you can get the right pieces installed.

I know the numbers Lexus has published are conservative and there is probably a good chance you'll be fine (according to the book, 1000lb is the max unbraked trailer weight which is way under what the realistic max is) but I wouldn't go as far over what is published as you would be on this one.
Old 09-29-16, 02:38 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 133 Likes on 123 Posts

No tow package? Retrofit or do the equivalent at hitch shop. Tranny oil cooler, hitch, wiring, suspension. What kind trailer? Does it have surge brake or electric brake? Combined weight 3500 lbs and how many passengers, loaded stuffs, etc.......
Old 09-30-16, 06:46 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Clutchless
I did my first ATF drain and fill at 30 some thousand miles, followed by 2 more and am now on an annual schedule. Note that a drain and fill only drains about 2 quarts. I used MAG 1 low viscosity synthetic ATF which is listed as compatible for Toyota WS.

http://www.mag1.com/ProductDetails.a...a-55f0b5c590fe

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...Number=3042591

I noticed the old fluid was almost black. The vehicle appeared to shift faster and smoother with the new fluid after 3 drain and fills.
what temperature did you do the drain and fills? overnight cold,warmed up, fully warmed up? i'm just curious. also, i've heard on these sealed units its anywhere from 2qts to 3qts thet comes out so yours is right in that category.
Old 09-30-16, 07:27 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,096 Likes on 935 Posts

I did cold drain and fills after sitting overnight in my garage with the new ATF also stored there so both are at the same temperature. This allows for accurate comparative measurement of what was drained so the same amount will be poured back in without the heat induced volume increase. There is an overflow plug inside the drain hole that has to be removed after the drain plug to drain the whole 2 quarts. It is removed with an Allen wrench. It is plastic and fragile. Then measure what is drained.
I had a 2008 MINI Cooper S with almost the same Aisin 6 speed automatic transmission and on the MINI forum we figured out the drain and fill procedure. I did it on the MINI several times before I got rid of it (shortly after the warranty expired as they are terribly unreliable). However the MINI did not have an easy access fill hole via the driver side front wheel well. There is another thread here on ATF drain and fills where I posted the MINI change procedure PDF and another Lexus PDF that shows the overflow plug etc.

Last edited by Clutchless; 09-30-16 at 07:31 AM.
Old 09-30-16, 07:44 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Clutchless
I did cold drain and fills after sitting overnight in my garage with the new ATF also stored there so both are at the same temperature. This allows for accurate comparative measurement of what was drained so the same amount will be poured back in without the heat induced volume increase. There is an overflow plug inside the drain hole that has to be removed after the drain plug to drain the whole 2 quarts. It is removed with an Allen wrench. It is plastic and fragile. Then measure what is drained.
I had a 2008 MINI Cooper S with almost the same Aisin 6 speed automatic transmission and on the MINI forum we figured out the drain and fill procedure. I did it on the MINI several times before I got rid of it (shortly after the warranty expired as they are terribly unreliable). However the MINI did not have an easy access fill hole via the driver side front wheel well. There is another thread here on ATF drain and fills where I posted the MINI change procedure PDF and another Lexus PDF that shows the overflow plug etc.
thanks man.
Old 09-30-16, 07:49 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Changing ATF without using the fluid exchange machine tapped into the cooler lines is like changing one sock.
Old 09-30-16, 07:50 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mcomer
Changing ATF without using the fluid exchange machine tapped into the cooler lines is like changing one sock.
hahahaha, well that's a good analogy? although you really don't need a machine to flush the fluid via the cooler line.

Quick Reply: Tow options for 2014 if I don't have tow package?