RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Rim Upgrade for the Rx 350

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-16, 02:01 PM
thedavidfe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rim Upgrade for the Rx 350

Hi all!

Wonder if anyone has upgraded their standard Rx 18 inch wheel to a 19 inch (450h, f-sport, or other versions)?
I am dying to upgrade the rims for my car, simply because the 18 inch is so unaesthetic to my liking.
How much is the cost associated with the rim? I consulted with the lexus dealership and the estimated is ~4k with the tire changes as well.
Since I am new to the process, I don't trust other online vendors or body shops but if you have had good experience with them, I would love to hear about it.
Old 09-05-16, 02:07 PM
thedavidfe
Driver School Candidate

Default Rim Upgrade for the Rx 350

Hi all!

Wonder if anyone has upgraded their standard Rx 18 inch wheel to a 19 inch (450h, f-sport, or other versions)?
I am dying to upgrade the rims for my car, simply because the 18 inch is so unaesthetic to my liking.
How much is the cost associated with the rim? I consulted with the lexus dealership and the estimated is ~4k with the tire changes as well.
Since I am new to the process, I don't trust other online vendors or body shops but if you have had good experience with them, I would love to hear about it.
Old 09-06-16, 05:17 AM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by thedavidfe
Hi all!

$4,000 is insane. Try online and price out what Tire Rack has to offer. I've used them and they're great.
Old 09-06-16, 06:01 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

You shouldn't buy wheels and tires from your dealer because as you see their markup ($4,000) is ridiculous. Do a google search for "Lexus RX350 19" wheels" and see what it gives you.

I know you need to be careful when buying online but if you do your research you should be good.

Old 09-06-16, 07:05 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm running the 19's now on my "new to me" 450h, and I really like them. The ride is wonderful and not harsh by any means.

In terms of having someone do the work and getting reliable online information, TireRack is a reputable resource which TONS of information for your perusal. Also, find a good local tire dealership by talking with other locals in your area (neighbors, co-workers, etc. who have live din the area for at least 5 years, preferably 10-15 years... if nothing else, you will hear about places to avoid and can narrow down your options from there. I have a local store within a regional tire franchise (Tire Engineers), and they do everything all the way up to head gasket jobs. For me, they help me diagnose brake and suspension issues and then I do the work myself. In return, they get 100% of my alignments and tire purchases for me, my wife, and our driving kids. In fact, I just dropped of one of my sons' '99 4Runners which has a badly pulsating brake system in spite of us having installed new rotors this weekend (was pulsing before, has been sporadic, and is still pulsing, though less than before). They will diagnose, let me know what they find, I will repair, and when he needs tires this fall, they will take care of the tires and alignment. It's an excellent working relationship which has served both sides well over the 10 years we've lived here. I have proven to them that I am faithful to their tire & alignment services, and so they tolerate the diagnostic process knowing it will keep business coming in the door. Their work is every bit as good as a dealer's, they have nitrogen and provide a lifetime nitrogen refill/top off warranty, and their shops are all over the area if I DO need the top off.
Old 09-06-16, 07:50 AM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check craigslist for Fsport wheels. Throw some new tires on them
thats what I'd do, if mine wasn't a lease
Old 09-06-16, 06:39 PM
thedavidfe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 96SC4
Check craigslist for Fsport wheels. Throw some new tires on them
thats what I'd do, if mine wasn't a lease
Yeah I thought of doing that, but don't feel too comfortable getting used wheels. Haha I am sure they would be a lot cheaper than 4k price tag dealership asked for.
Old 09-06-16, 06:41 PM
thedavidfe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JT4
You shouldn't buy wheels and tires from your dealer because as you see their markup ($4,000) is ridiculous. Do a google search for "Lexus RX350 19" wheels" and see what it gives you.

I know you need to be careful when buying online but if you do your research you should be good.
I hear you man. Exactly the same way I feel when I heard the 4k price tag. I am looking into CarID and see some nice wheels there. Do you know if the warranty would get impacted if we opt for custom wheel?
Old 09-06-16, 10:23 PM
Yurka
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

eBay or Craigslist it, they both have 19" F Sport wheels for sale in about $1k-$1.5k
Old 09-07-16, 06:49 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,098 Likes on 937 Posts

I got my 19x8 wheels from http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels_3/Wheels-for-Lexus
They are model 9489730.
http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels_3/...ilver-19x8-SET
I have had them on the car for 18 months and they still look great and I have had no issues.
They are Lexus IS-F replica wheels. Hub centric and OEM offset. I have posted pictures elsewhere on this forum. At around $600 for a set you cannot beat the price. I then put 255/50/19 tires on the vehicle which are almost exactly the same diameter as stock narrower tires. I got the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrical All Season but have hear good things about the new Continental Contact Extreme something or other high performance all season tire. Check Tire Rack. Use one of their recommended installers to install everything.
Custom wheels have no affect on the warranty.

Last edited by Clutchless; 09-07-16 at 06:52 AM.
Old 09-07-16, 07:38 PM
thedavidfe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
I got my 19x8 wheels from http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels_3/Wheels-for-Lexus
They are model 9489730.
http://www.oewheelsllc.com/Wheels_3/...ilver-19x8-SET
I have had them on the car for 18 months and they still look great and I have had no issues.
They are Lexus IS-F replica wheels. Hub centric and OEM offset. I have posted pictures elsewhere on this forum. At around $600 for a set you cannot beat the price. I then put 255/50/19 tires on the vehicle which are almost exactly the same diameter as stock narrower tires. I got the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetrical All Season but have hear good things about the new Continental Contact Extreme something or other high performance all season tire. Check Tire Rack. Use one of their recommended installers to install everything.
Custom wheels have no affect on the warranty.
Hey man, those rims look really nice. Do you have a pic of your Rx, I am curious to see how they look on the car?
I am looking at CarID right now for new wheels. They have a supply of some nice ones.
Was it pretty easy for you to mount and balance the wheels? That's the only thing I am concerned right now doing it myself, although I suppose I can do it via a dealership for a small fee.
Old 09-07-16, 07:45 PM
thedavidfe
Driver School Candidate

Default 20 in Wheels Anyone?

Hi guys,

Has anyone installed 20 in wheels on your Rx?
Of course the bigger the wheels the merrier, but I had an earlier conversation at the dealership and they don't recommend it for going above 19 for the 3rd generation Rx.
I am curious for those who have the 20s installed, how smooth is ride and if there is any pros/cons of that vs the 18/19 in.
I have my eyes set on this pair: http://www.carid.com/savini-wheels/b...-44781071.html
Wonder if anyone has had good experience with savini or CarID?

Thanks,
Old 09-08-16, 05:43 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by thedavidfe
I hear you man. Exactly the same way I feel when I heard the 4k price tag. I am looking into CarID and see some nice wheels there. Do you know if the warranty would get impacted if we opt for custom wheel?
IMO the warranty should not be affected,especially if you're staying within the OEM sizes, or even slightly larger. However, if you were to go with some crazy oversize fitment (which I don't think you are), Lexus could have something to say if you had a problem that they could relate to the wheels.

BTW- the above is just my opinion, so to be safe you should ask your SA for their input..
Old 09-08-16, 06:25 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,098 Likes on 937 Posts

You cannot mount and balance your own wheels/tires. You need professionals with the expensive equipment. First of all, do not take it to the dealer to install aftermarket wheels and tires. You will get gouged and they are possibly going to be resentful you did not buy wheels from them. Go to a reputable tire store. I would select one from the Tire Rack list of recommended installers. They are used to dealing with these situations and products.
Second, you either need to move the Tire Pressure Monitors (TPMS) from your old wheels to the new ones or buy new TPMS sensors for the new wheels.
Third, make sure the new wheels are either hub centric to 60.1 mm (center bore) for Lexus or come with wheel ring adapters, which are less desirable, but do work. It was unclear from your wheel link what they did.
Fourth, know the offset of the new wheels. The stock offset is 35 or 38 mm depending. It can vary a bit more and a larger number pushes the wheel farther out towards the outside.
Fifth, tire selection makes a big difference in ride and handling. A great 19" tire wheel combo will easily beat a bad 20" one. If you do some searching you will see there are a couple threads of folks who put 20 inch wheels on. They had mixed results. I think 19" is the perfect sweet spot for this vehicle. It is not a
BMW and will never handle great no matter what, but you want to keep the Lexus ride.
I would also look at Lumarai wheels which are made to OEM Lexus fitment regarding hub center bore, offset etc. They are a vendor here and advertise on the site. http://www.lumaraiwheels.com/
Finally, I sold my old 18 inch wheels on eBay for a couple hundred dollars.
Attached Thumbnails Rim Upgrade for the Rx 350-100_4383.jpg   Rim Upgrade for the Rx 350-100_4384.jpg  

Last edited by Clutchless; 09-08-16 at 07:25 AM.
Old 09-08-16, 09:08 AM
thedavidfe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Clutchless
You cannot mount and balance your own wheels/tires. You need professionals with the expensive equipment. First of all, do not take it to the dealer to install aftermarket wheels and tires. You will get gouged and they are possibly going to be resentful you did not buy wheels from them. Go to a reputable tire store. I would select one from the Tire Rack list of recommended installers. They are used to dealing with these situations and products.
Second, you either need to move the Tire Pressure Monitors (TPMS) from your old wheels to the new ones or buy new TPMS sensors for the new wheels.
Third, make sure the new wheels are either hub centric to 60.1 mm (center bore) for Lexus or come with wheel ring adapters, which are less desirable, but do work. It was unclear from your wheel link what they did.
Fourth, know the offset of the new wheels. The stock offset is 35 or 38 mm depending. It can vary a bit more and a larger number pushes the wheel farther out towards the outside.
Fifth, tire selection makes a big difference in ride and handling. A great 19" tire wheel combo will easily beat a bad 20" one. If you do some searching you will see there are a couple threads of folks who put 20 inch wheels on. They had mixed results. I think 19" is the perfect sweet spot for this vehicle. It is not a
BMW and will never handle great no matter what, but you want to keep the Lexus ride.
I would also look at Lumarai wheels which are made to OEM Lexus fitment regarding hub center bore, offset etc. They are a vendor here and advertise on the site. http://www.lumaraiwheels.com/
Finally, I sold my old 18 inch wheels on eBay for a couple hundred dollars.
Thanks for the detailed reply.
What you mentioned about getting it mounted via a wheel professional makes a lot of sense, and I i will use tire-rack as a resource to locate any near my area.
As with the 20 vs 19 in debate, I am still having mixed feelings. I do feel that 19 would be more comfy but 20 would look a bit better.
Surprised to hear that you can sell your old wheels for few hundred bucks on ebay, I might do that after installing. Although I doubt I can get that since my wheels are a bit scratched up.
Nice car there! Those wheels def look way better than the 18 stocks. I have a black Rx but I always like the white Rx also. Looking to get matte black for the wheels.

Quick Reply: Rim Upgrade for the Rx 350