RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Remote starter - OEM or after market? Help me choose?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-16, 08:14 AM
SyedH
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remote starter - OEM or after market? Help me choose?

I am thinking of installing a remote starter in my 2012 RX-350 that I recently bought. Had a remote starter on my last vehicle and it really comes in handy during these harsh mid-west winters here.
Should I go for the lexus remote starter or an aftermarket one? I have heard good things about Viper but I purchased an extended warranty from toyota/lexus when i bought the car and dont want the after market part to void the warranty.
On the other hand, If I go with the lexus remote starter, I know it has a very short range and fairly expensive.
Help me out with this please.
Old 09-02-16, 11:49 AM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

viper will always be better, but i prefered the oem remote start simply so i could keep the remote and not have a entire seperate remote or phone app. Also i didnt need a large range to remote start the car. The standard remote start ive been able to start it from 40 feet away. They also have RES+ which is more expensive and can use your phone to remote start. If you want a big range to start it i suggest going with viper or RES+. If youre like me and just want to start it from reasonable range i say go with standard OEM. Also the car will cut off when you open the door (security feature)
Old 09-02-16, 01:13 PM
SyedH
Driver School Candidate

I guess I am leaning towards OEM for the same reason. I dont want to carry two remotes. Plus I dont care about the range really. What annoys me with OEM remote starters is the feature that cuts off the engine when you open the door. I had it in my last car and did not like it. I dont see the point of that. If someone stole your oem remote starter key, they will be able to start the car with the same key anyway whether or not you turn the engine off at door open. If anything, aftermarket starters should have that, but its the other way around.

Any idea how much the oem starter would cost me at a dealership?
Old 09-02-16, 01:22 PM
greeknasty
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SyedH
I guess I am leaning towards OEM for the same reason. I dont want to carry two remotes. Plus I dont care about the range really. What annoys me with OEM remote starters is the feature that cuts off the engine when you open the door. I had it in my last car and did not like it. I dont see the point of that. If someone stole your oem remote starter key, they will be able to start the car with the same key anyway whether or not you turn the engine off at door open. If anything, aftermarket starters should have that, but its the other way around.

Any idea how much the oem starter would cost me at a dealership?
well i think the thing with the security feature is. say you remote started it. went to use the bathroom, someone decided to bust the window open, unlock the car, and steal it. Also ive heard (cannot confirm) that if your car is stolen while it was remotely started with aftermarket insurance can deny any claims. again im not sure of that but it wouldnt surprise me.
other than that i have no idea what the point is.
also i paid around $500 to get mine installed.

Last edited by greeknasty; 09-02-16 at 01:26 PM.
Old 09-02-16, 06:40 PM
gregjhonda
Pit Crew

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

My Maxima was awesome, just remote start it, unlock it, as long as you have the key on you, hit the brake, go into drive and drive off. That's insane that Toyota products including my ES, RX and my dad's Rav4 have the engine stop when you open the door. All Lexus has to do is require the key on you you before you can leave PARK and go into drive. Who's gonna steal your vehicle under under that scenario? Even my Avalanche allowed me to drive off without shutting off the engine after a remote start. If Nissan and Chevy and yes even my new Jeep can do that, why can't Lexus? I paid $83 to $113 for my last remote start setups on ebay, preflashed for the exact car model and no need to have a separate remote FOB. They all used the OEM FOB, press lock three times to remote start.

On ebay right now the OEM remote start kit is $210 (dealer programming required) and the low end EVO kit is $80 no dealer programming required. They both use the OEM FOB, no additional FOB required. In both cases, the Lexus will shut off when the door is opened and you can't drive off without the key.

Last edited by gregjhonda; 09-02-16 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-03-16, 06:37 PM
SyedH
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by greeknasty
well i think the thing with the security feature is. say you remote started it. went to use the bathroom, someone decided to bust the window open, unlock the car, and steal it. Also ive heard (cannot confirm) that if your car is stolen while it was remotely started with aftermarket insurance can deny any claims. again im not sure of that but it wouldnt surprise me.
other than that i have no idea what the point is.
also i paid around $500 to get mine installed.
ahh i see.. I dint know about the insurance thing. Well good to know!
Old 09-03-16, 08:49 PM
ColAngus
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The OEM offers 40 FEET of range and it turns off when you get in???!!?
RoFL! What a piece of useless trash! This must be a mistake. That's the most undesirable remote starter I've ever heard of. Ever.
I had a dirt cheap aftermarket one in a Civic over 15 years ago that might've only offered 10x that range and none of this turning off nonsense. 400 feet would even be terrible. Let's start talking about 400 yards and you've got a product someone will pay money for.
There is no decision, here. If the OEM is anywhere near this bad, it's a DON'T BUY. I would fit it with a Webasto before I'd buy something that thought I'd accept wandering to within 40' of my luxury SUV in -20° before it would begin to start warming up.
Don't panic about warranty. If they can't prove that your equipment buggered the Lexus, they'll be obligated to honor your warranty. It's a scare tactic that too many people take too seriously. Just the other day, I put Energizer batteries in my kid's toy even though it SPECIFICALLY mentioned to only use Duracell right in the battery compartment.
#LivinOnTheEdge.