RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2012 Lexus RX 350 Hesitation - slow to move after a stop

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-16, 08:11 AM
cooltoront
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 11bravo
" I got a call from their service department and scheduled a service appointment in 1st week of Sept. They told me that they will give me a loaner vehicle in the interim."

that is good news, cool. I thought you were speaking in miles, not km. Glad to hear the warranty is in effect. I do hope they test drive it and find out what is wrong. Please let us all know what they come up with. Good luck to you.
Jim

I don’t have much experience in dealing with dealerships as always bought/driven used cars without warranty. If they are giving me a loaner does it mean that I may be on the hook for bigger diagnostics/service charges? Even though they call it Courtesy service but nothing is free in this world------

Looks like my problems are never ending---- I got the service history of the vehicle. The records showed only 3 services performed at Toyota dealership in Mar, July & Sept 2012. After that there is no service record for the past almost 4 years. Does that void the warranty if there is limited number of services done at Toyota/Lexus dealerships?

Just getting myself prepared in case it turns out that way------
Old 08-26-16, 08:23 AM
Buzzer777
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default no service since 2012?

Originally Posted by cooltoront
I don’t have much experience in dealing with dealerships as always bought/driven used cars without warranty. If they are giving me a loaner does it mean that I may be on the hook for bigger diagnostics/service charges? Even though they call it Courtesy service but nothing is free in this world------

Looks like my problems are never ending---- I got the service history of the vehicle. The records showed only 3 services performed at Toyota dealership in Mar, July & Sept 2012. After that there is no service record for the past almost 4 years. Does that void the warranty if there is limited number of services done at Toyota/Lexus dealerships?

Just getting myself prepared in case it turns out that way------
It is possible that the services ie: oil changes were done beyond Toyota /Lexus? That would be like 4 yrs without services!!! Any way to contact the previous owner or where you bought the car?
Technically that could void the warranty, but routine service does NOT have to be done by a Toyota or Lexus dealer to maintain the warranty. Be really careful with your dealer and do not agree to anything without a clear and concise estimate. Loaners are cool w/ Lexus dealers for their customers. Mine will give a loaner for even an oil chg! Good luck my friend and keep us posted!
Old 08-26-16, 08:40 AM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Cool, the service history record means very little. The owner(s) obviously had service done at other locations, such as independent shops. The service record is created by human entries. If a person does not enter/report a service that was done, it does not mean it was not done. There is no point in being concerned now about the past service on the vehicle. As for past owner contact, what will that do for you? Whatever they tell you, it doesn't prove they did or did not have something done.

I cannot speak for Canada, but in the U.S., a warranty cannot be voided based on incomplete service record. That became law maybe 30 years ago.

If the dealer actually said they will provide you a loaner, that is on their dime. As for additional charges, they have to clearly spell that out to you before you leave the car in their possession. They cannot charge for work they perform without getting your approval first, and that includes diagnostics. Usually, they will have you sign a work order that will indicate a "reasonable", but stated charge for anticipated services. That is all they can charge until they have you sign another work order with a new charge limit indicated.
Old 08-26-16, 09:51 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 482 Likes on 335 Posts

If they are giving me a loaner does it mean that I may be on the hook for bigger diagnostics/service charges? Even though they call it Courtesy service but nothing is free in this world------
You're right, it's not "free", but the cost of loaners is built into the higher labour and parts cost you may pay (over a Toyota dealership), so everyone collectively pays for loaners every time they get any service done, whether used or not, regardless of the service performed. At the Lexus dealership in Toronto where I usually go, if it's something that will take a while I usually drop it off in the evening, get a loaner and come back the following evening. Great way to test drive a new RX or ES which is what they usually give me. But when it's a quick job, I'll go to their cafeteria where the "chef" will prepare me a nice meal at no cost (no Filet Mignon on the menu of course, but usually I get a nice sandwich with a side and drink).
Old 08-26-16, 11:46 AM
cooltoront
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for your words Guys! feeling much relieved now. I am willing to pay any "reasonable" fees charged for diagnostics etc. Will update here once is done...
Old 09-09-16, 07:36 AM
cooltoront
Driver School Candidate

I showed the vehicle to the dealer yesterday and they test drive the vehicle with me for about 15-20 minutes. The car felt sluggish and low in power at times but the guy driving tired to convince me that there is no problem in the car. He said Thats the way the car drives. It has a computer controlled drive train which monitors it continuously. To make sure that it emits less pollutants and to give better mileage the car tries to drive in top gear and at a hill or stop sign it shift to lower gears and put more power and thats why the noise from engine (like its putting more force) comes.

However, I really feel the difference in power compared to a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe 6 cyl, 2.7L which will quickly move when you put a little pressure on gas paddle. A 4 year old Rx 350 is supposedly better than a 12 year Santa fe???

I will show it to a reliable local Indy machanic.
Old 09-09-16, 07:50 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I showed the vehicle to the dealer yesterday and they test drive the vehicle with me for about 15-20 minutes. The car felt sluggish and low in power at times but the guy driving tired to convince me that there is no problem in the car. He said Thats the way the car drives. It has a computer controlled drive train which monitors it continuously. To make sure that it emits less pollutants and to give better mileage the car tries to drive in top gear and at a hill or stop sign it shift to lower gears and put more power and thats why the noise from engine (like its putting more force) comes.

However, I really feel the difference in power compared to a 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe 6 cyl, 2.7L which will quickly move when you put a little pressure on gas paddle. A 4 year old Rx 350 is supposedly better than a 12 year Santa fe???

I will show it to a reliable local Indy machanic.

man, you are getting jerked around very badly my friend! that car should have tons of power! i know mine does. do not settle for this unacceptable performance.