RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

rear view mirror question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-16, 06:24 PM
tincan13
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rear view mirror question

I'm still learning about my 2013 RX350 and have a question about my rear view mirror. There are these three buttons ( see picture ) that look like little houses in addition to the on / off buttons. Two to the left of the indicator light and one to the right. They turn the indicator light to 'red' when pressed. I've looked in the owners manual and can not find any info about them. Can some one tell me what they do?
Old 07-05-16, 10:17 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's a Homelink garage door programmable remote.

Do a YouTube search for Homelink mirror and it will demonstrate how to program the buttons.

You can teach it to clone 3 separate garage door remotes, one for each "home" button.
Old 07-06-16, 07:32 AM
tincan13
Driver

Originally Posted by FLYCT
It's a Homelink garage door programmable remote.

Do a YouTube search for Homelink mirror and it will demonstrate how to program the buttons.

You can teach it to clone 3 separate garage door remotes, one for each "home" button.
Thanx for the info.
Old 07-06-16, 07:38 AM
TeeDog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You want to keep the green light on, otherwise it disable the homelink buttons once they are programmed.
It has a better range than my garage door opened did..
T
Old 07-06-16, 07:56 AM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TeeDog
You want to keep the green light on, otherwise it disable the homelink buttons once they are programmed.
It has a better range than my garage door opened did..
T
I believe the On/Off button green light turns on and off the Auto Dimming feature of the rear view mirror. The feature, when turned on (green light on), eliminates glare from rear-approaching headlights at night. It has no effect during the day so I always leave it on.

Homelink buttons should work all the time, even with car turned off.

Last edited by FLYCT; 07-06-16 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-06-16, 07:21 PM
kezgao
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have them programmed to my garage. Only difference between this and the actual remote is that I have to hold the button a little bit longer. On the garage door opener remote, I simply press the button. On the HomeLink button, I have to old it for about 0.5s. No big deal, prevents accidental presses and no need to keep those openers clipped on your visor.
Old 07-06-16, 11:38 PM
TeeDog
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYCT
I believe the On/Off button green light turns on and off the Auto Dimming feature of the rear view mirror. The feature, when turned on (green light on), eliminates glare from rear-approaching headlights at night. It has no effect during the day so I always leave it on.

Homelink buttons should work all the time, even with car turned off.
See what I know, I tested it by turning it off an my garage door opener program wouldn't work.
After reading your post I went and tested it again, it worked when not green. I must of not have been holding the button down long enough when testing.
Thanks for the insight, i learned something new, I to test the auto dimming now..
Thanks
T
Old 07-09-16, 11:04 AM
steerpike
Driver School Candidate

HomeLink works well, even with fairly new high security ('rolling code?') remote setups. The instructions are pretty detailed, and require you to press buttons on the door opener itself. Works like a charm, though!

One word of caution. I make a point of not carrying anything with my home address in the car (letters, etc - even my registration and insurance - I carry in my wallet only). That way, if the car were stolen, the thief would not be able to find their way to my house and then open the garage door (which in my house gives unrestricted access to the house). I also don't program the 'home' setting on the GPS for that reason (I program a nearby house in the address book, in case I need to use it, but leave 'home' unprogrammed).