RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

2013 RX350 emergency vehicle turn signal wires

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-16, 03:28 AM
RobertGift
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 RX350 emergency vehicle turn signal wires

The RX350 is used to transport blood, blood platelets, antivenins, etc. to hospitals in emergencies.
Its light bar has two rear-facing yellow turn signal lamps.
Are there turn signal wires under the dash which can be easily accessed and tapped to power the light bar turn signal lamps?

If not, two wires can be run through the firewall heater hose rubber grommet, each to a front turnsignalamp wire.

Thank you.
Robert
Old 06-21-16, 06:48 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,091 Likes on 931 Posts

If you have the tow prep package, I would access the wires through the hitch wiring connection inside the rear bumper. To tell if you have the tow prep package, see if you have vents inside the front part of the driver side fender liner. Then look inside the vents to see if there is a transmission cooler. What year is your RX?

You should probably consult a repair shop that does a lot of electrical work or hitch installation.

Where are you located in Colorado?
Old 06-21-16, 10:02 PM
RobertGift
Driver

Thank you.

Shops are far too expen$ive and I have no time. (The other emergencyehicle must be nearby so that I can immediately leave. Hospitals love to call when I am in the middle of changing oil or have things apart.)

No evidence of tow package. I'll look.

It would be easier to just go through the firewall heater hose grommet and connect to each turnsignal's wire.
But if I can connect under the dash, that would be convenient.
Old 06-22-16, 06:33 AM
Clutchless

Received 1,091 Likes on 931 Posts

It may be easier to tap into the tail lights turn signal wires rather than attempting to be a contortionist and access wires under the dash or attempt to take the turn signal apart with the airbag in your face.

You could then run the wires along the inside of the vehicle to wherever you want to take them to reach your light bar. Where is the light bar mounted?

I have a retired friend in Colorado Springs who is a volunteer fire fighter and skilled at repairing cars, motorcycles, restoring houses etc. If you are nearby, I could ask if he is interested in helping you.
Old 06-22-16, 11:23 AM
RobertGift
Driver

Thank you. Good idea, but I must to do things at home where the other emergencyehicle is parked and not far from the Blood Center.

As a former HAM radio operator, I do everything myself.
The siren's power wire and speaker wires pass through the heater hose rubber grommet. Also alternately flashing headlight wires to the lightbar's takedown lamps and lightbar power wire pass through the grommet.
Still room to push two more 16-AWG wires through it. Then run the two wires inside the center console and out under the driver seat and then up to the light bar. Nothing is damaged!
After long distance bloodeliveries, to reduce windrag, the still-connected light bar can be stowed on the back seat.

Last edited by RobertGift; 06-22-16 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-22-16, 01:55 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Is it required for an external light bar? Can you have the dash unit just aft of the windscreen, and similar setup for the rear (just inside the rear window in the corners)? I'm assuming you already have the strobes installed? THat's a UC -type vehicle setup. I hate running wires outside. That would also solve your drag issue.
Old 06-22-16, 02:21 PM
RobertGift
Driver

Donated, incandescent lamp, roof-mount light bar which luckily I was able to attach to the roof rack rails without causing damage.
6 white insulted wires ooOOoo through the left rear door seal. oo left and right turn signal O+ O- oo left and right takedown lights
Forward-facing takedown lamps can be turned on steadily for seeing deer and elk at night.

No lights in back because the vehicle does not park on roadways. Just blood center to hospital or hospital to hospital.

No drag interior lights would be nice but are expen$ive. Must screw into interior to mount them?
Lightbar is noticed earlier so better progress through traffic needing less or no siren noise pollution.

Last edited by RobertGift; 06-22-16 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-27-16, 06:37 PM
RobertGift
Driver

Default Found Yellow and Green turn signal wires

Turn signal wires are in the wire harness under the left rear door plastic sill.
Stuck a safety pin's point through the insulation and blinking lightbulb verified turn signal wires. (Only 18-gauge?)
Soldered wires to the light bar onto the turn signal wires.