RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

How do I know if my RX 350 has tow package? (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-09, 10:36 AM
DetailsGrl
10th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Is the tow prep package a necessity in northern climate?

This is probably a silly question, but hey. You guys know EVERYTHING, so I'm going for it:

Is the tow prep package a necessity, even if you never intend to tow a thing? I'm in the midst of negotiating my next RX350 lease, and the sales rep is trying to convince me it's an option I absolutely must have.

His claim is that the "under the hood" upgrades are a necessity in a cold, northern tier state (Minnesota) and that I'll deeply regret not having them if I opt out.

Right? Wrong? Please let me know--we're down to the wire on this (at last!).

Thanks in advance......
Old 12-08-09, 11:40 AM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by DetailsGrl
This is probably a silly question, but hey. You guys know EVERYTHING, so I'm going for it:

Is the tow prep package a necessity, even if you never intend to tow a thing? I'm in the midst of negotiating my next RX350 lease, and the sales rep is trying to convince me it's an option I absolutely must have.

His claim is that the "under the hood" upgrades are a necessity in a cold, northern tier state (Minnesota) and that I'll deeply regret not having them if I opt out.

Right? Wrong? Please let me know--we're down to the wire on this (at last!).

Thanks in advance......
I would go for it.Better resale value then anything.Plus most RX AWD`s come with that package (so I thought)
Old 12-08-09, 11:54 AM
LeoDLion
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I never tow anything but I did have the tow package. Aside from the extra size in the radiator and heavy duty battery, what else is there in the package?
Old 12-08-09, 12:53 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bigger transmission cooler. Same size battery, bigger alternator to power trailer lights.

I don't know why being in a cold climate would make a diff. Pretty sure they are a default on AWD models.

Last edited by tazdevl; 12-08-09 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-08-09, 01:21 PM
lexus114
Lexus Champion

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I wish I had a factory trailer hitch on mine.
Old 12-08-09, 03:55 PM
rxets
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tazdevl
Bigger transmission cooler. Same size battery, bigger alternator to power trailer lights.

I don't know why being in a cold climate would make a diff. Pretty sure they are a default on AWD models.
I think the same thing, and believe it's not really for "tow" purpose if talking about NE weather things, but for the more protection to your car/engine/what-so-ever.

Why not makes it as the standard component to all the RX10?

Of course, if you plan to install the tow stuff, it's going to help. However, sometimes ppl won't be able to know the truth easily when it's buried by the marketing strategies. They can tell you all the points and encourage you to buy it 'cause it's important.
Old 12-08-09, 05:28 PM
Joe G
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My feelings, its probably NOT a necessity but the larger alternator and battery would aid in cold weather start. The tranny cooler is more of a necessity in a hotter climate.
The engine block heater was an option when I purchased my RX last February.
If you have this option available may want to consider it.
Joe G
Old 12-08-09, 08:10 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Towing Prep Package
Heavy duty radiator; Heavy duty transmission fluid cooler; Heavy duty alternator; Trailer wiring harness
Old 12-08-09, 11:57 PM
tazdevl
Pole Position

If it was so important to have... every car sold in MN and any cold climate would have it... past, present and future. Amazing any car could make it through the winter. Come on guys... let's use our heads here.

In the end though, if you're leasing, who cares?

Last edited by tazdevl; 12-09-09 at 12:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DLeebold (06-16-21)
Old 12-09-09, 03:46 AM
DigMyM35x
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow - I think the point here is much bigger than the tow package question. I guess for the small amount it adds to the price I would get it vs. not getting it. Basically pure profit for Lexus but regardless, I think the bigger issue is what the sale person is doing.

Holy mackeral!!! Why can't he just say that it is a standard order for the standard option packages up there and you would have to wait a few months to get one without it. I really don't think you would 'regret' not having a tow package just because you live in a cold area. What a bunch of hooey.

I can't stand the way some sales people go for the 'fear factor' instead of being honest and just communicating with you. I mean, I know why - a sale today for a car on the floor is much better than a sale in 3 months - but for a few hundred dollars and the possibility of not getting the discounts you might get for a car on the lot would probably make this an easy decision for you.

Either this sales person doesn't know what they are talking about or this sales person is being unethical and trying to 'sell' something in a way that is not truly honest. Either way - shame on him and shame on that dealership.

When I get a line from a sales person like that, my first response is 'Puh -leeeeaasseee'. Don't let someone like that insult your intelligence. I would ask for the sales manager and get extremely specific information about what the tow package is and how it might be of benefit. If he/she can't tell you in detail then I would have them do research and find out for you. I believe they OWE you that in order to EARN the right to sell you a car.

Don't let someone who is being dishonest, pressuring, uneducated -and whatever else you want to lump into this example - encourage you to make a decision that you are not comfortable with.

The simple fact is that, if you are towing - a good idea. If you are not - if you want to buy off the lot you probably don't have much of a choice since it is probably pretty standard for your area. If you want to special order to NOT get the tow package you'll probably end up not getting as high a discount so the pricing would probably wash. At that point - I'd probably just get it and be done. But I would DEFINITELY demand an explanation of what the package is and tell them that you don't appreciate their scare tactics.

I hope that helps. I'll get off the soap box now but jeez - I can't stand when sales people do that.

Good luck and please let us know how things go.

Jay
Old 12-09-09, 07:56 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Its not a must have, but it is nice to have.
Old 12-09-09, 10:10 AM
jeep63
Driver School Candidate

I don't understand how they can call it a Tow package if there is no hitch installed! Why put a tow package on a vehicle and no hitch???? This makes no sense to me at all.
Old 12-09-09, 10:21 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jeep63
I don't understand how they can call it a Tow package if there is no hitch installed! Why put a tow package on a vehicle and no hitch???? This makes no sense to me at all.
Thats why its called a tow prep. package
Old 12-09-09, 10:26 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

It's not necessary here in Quebec... I don't see why it would be in Minesotta. The F started up just fine this morning and we're having a snowstorm, it's like -20 celsius outside right now.
Old 04-18-13, 11:44 AM
akiapour
Driver School Candidate

Default Can the Tow Package be installed after you got the Car

I do have a 2013 RX350 FWD without the tow package. I may need to tow a uhaul trailer for 600 miles and was wondering if I can install the Tow package now or should totally forget about towing anything.

If yes, does anyone know how much would it cost ?

Quick Reply: How do I know if my RX 350 has tow package? (merged threads)